Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Like the last couple minutes of little character beats were OK, but the big finale and overplot were pretty much balls all the way down.

Weak ending, brings the overall show down a bit but still like a 7 or an 8 for the things that did work. Nico still best girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I liked how much talking there was before but, come on, you can't have the climax of the show be a five minute conversation that boils down to "um, empathy is a thing, friendship's neat, y'know? stop doing the crazy stuff cuz we like you."

Everything after that's nice and all, but yeah, the climax was the weakest point and, y'know, it's the loving climax.

At least I got TMS#FE for my super animu needs

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oddly enough, I think the protagonist took a backseat to Hanoka in terms of character development.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

At least the right girl won the Kachonball even if the worst girl won the Kaminabowl

And the best girl gets the fat guy

I liked it, even if it was slightly anti-climactic. Not bad, but just lacked a bit of "oomf", kind of like how KLK's (tv)finale was a bit ehh. Like, kind of tepid after all the action up to that point.
On the other hand, it was a lot more sensible and emotive than the latter, so Trigger is getting better with their long-form series.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I liked it a lot. This really couldn't be the kind of show to end in explosions... well, at least not a lot of explosions.

And the last frame is Sonozaki smiling, which seems apt.

I guess it's good practice to finish in too few episodes than too many, but I would've liked to have seen these dorks do things for another couple episodes for sure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the climax was kind of dumb, and i don't like them pairing honoka up with yuta. overall though it was a decent show, just left me pretty disappointed in the end, after how good it was in the middle. it never really reached that same level of being ridiculously good

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Nice little easter egg someone on reddit noticed:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Luluco found Nova?? :aaaaa:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'll be that guy and say the episode was a huge letdown.

Gorgeous show, but kinda... pointless. Lots of interesting setups which plain didn't pay off. That single sad explosion might as well have emitted a loud, sustained fart
I guess I'm only extra-disappointed because I liked it a lot in the middle :(

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I guess I was one of the few that actually liked the ending. I wasn't expecting a huge over-the-top finale or anything, but I got a very nice, poignant ending on connecting with people and that's all I ever really wanted out of the ending.

Good show. Trigger killed it this season.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The whole rebellion thing didn't even need to happen and it feels almost like a total after thought because they felt there needed to be some sort of dramatic peak at the end. It doesn't achieve very much at all, there are absolutely no negative consequences of it. They could have had the exact same story play out without that whole thing and reached the same destination.

The final endings for the characters are decent, the episode picks up there, but the drama to begin with overstays its welcome even though it's only 10 minutes or so because it's so bad and it actively detracts from the episode.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

this could have been way worse. i'm glad they were as restrained as they were.

e: although, the reveal that those other kids were basically braindead because sonozaki is lonely is a weird one.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 25, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm really curious about that bridge. Thing's got like 500' of apparent clearance, so why does it need to lift?

It seems purpose-designed to trap experimental subjects on the island.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Kiznaiver - Friendship Is Soy Sauce

:allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, i liked it rather a lot.

http://i.imgur.com/RopdLhl.gifv

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think, if this was a 2 cours with more time to develop and bond the with characters, it probably would've been a bit more satisfying to have the climax at the end with Sonozaki and showing how they've become friends. As it stands, there's probably a lot on the cutting room floor and while it's all rather complete, it's a little less heavy because of it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so what you're saying is that everything was sonozaki's fault

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Xelkelvos posted:

I think, if this was a 2 cours with more time to develop and bond the with characters, it probably would've been a bit more satisfying to have the climax at the end with Sonozaki and showing how they've become friends. As it stands, there's probably a lot on the cutting room floor and while it's all rather complete, it's a little less heavy because of it.

Yeah I definitely felt like this was 'supposed' to be a 2cour show, and they cut it down to 1. Which is really disappointing.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Where would cour 1 have ended in that case? Episode 5 (camping trip)? The second half could definitely have been fleshed out more, with them addressing more of the characters' individual problems, but I'm not sure what they would or could have added to the first half.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kytrarewn posted:

Where would cour 1 have ended in that case? Episode 5 (camping trip)? The second half could definitely have been fleshed out more, with them addressing more of the characters' individual problems, but I'm not sure what they would or could have added to the first half.

I would probably leave the camping trip as is, but fill it up with more episodes of figuring out everyone's secrets and helping them out, like they did Hanoka. Maybe don't get everyone done right away, but leave off the first season on a cliffhanger of them feeling each other's joy, without the crying puddle at the end. Season 2 can begin on a light note, as they explore these - you can have more character building towards the eventual relationships, so people aren't like WAIT NICO LIKES TENGA? like people were in here. You can build up Sonozaki as not quite entirely bad 100% of the time always, before having her cause the crying puddle as they discover their thoughts are being transferred in words, probably around episode 5, same as the camp in S1. Then you can have 7 episodes dealing with the fallout between them, the reveal of the previous experiment's kids, etc.

Edit: Basic outline:

Episodes 1-5: Basic 'getting to know each other but not trust each other'
Episode 6: Reveal of bad feelings transfering.
Episodes 7-12: Dealing with some of the character's demons, as they did Honoka, end with ~true friends~ feeling happiness together, maybe end scene with a thought from someone bleeding through to everyone.
Episode 13-17: Missions from green hair guy that force people into pairs and build shipping for later. Some thought sharing throughout, nothing super big, just minor things as they ~grow closer~
Episode 18: Reveal that their feelings are a mess of love triangles, and now they can hear each other thoughts at full, cry puddle happens.
Episodes 19-24: Characters deal with the fallout, more focus on showing why they get along, even when they're mad at each other. More character growth. Etc.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 26, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
idk I liked it.

The whole Gomorin fighting each other across the city smacked of a way less significant version of the CROWDS/Kuu from Gatchaman Crowds and it definitely feels like there's 1 or 2 episodes missing where it should've established some type of consequences for Sonozaki's whole plan at the end, but whatever. I didn't mind the attempt at making it dramatic. Sonozaki's enough of an inscrutable weirdo that I didn't really think twice at her standing on top of a bridge while she pushed the button.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

idk I liked it.

The whole Gomorin fighting each other across the city smacked of a way less significant version of the CROWDS/Kuu from Gatchaman Crowds and it definitely feels like there's 1 or 2 episodes missing where it should've established some type of consequences for Sonozaki's whole plan at the end, but whatever. I didn't mind the attempt at making it dramatic. Sonozaki's enough of an inscrutable weirdo that I didn't really think twice at her standing on top of a bridge while she pushed the button.

The whole thing was... well... not exactly a suicide bid, but in the same ballpark. Self-destructive behaviour is to be expected.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Honoka's still the best but I feel really bad for Nico cause this whole thing's not gonna end up well for her but oh well.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Agronox posted:

Nice little easter egg someone on reddit noticed:

You know, I can't help but feel that while Kiznaiver was trying to be all deep and serious about learning to connect with the people around you, Luluco did it better. :shrug:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

nah, luluco didn't really communicate anything other than KEEP MOVING

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm pretty sure Kiznaiver and Luluco both came from the same concept of people being defined by how they react to others, it's just that while with Kiznaiver it became this strange experiment to essentially teach empathy through sharing pain and using some brilliant art direction to showcase lights reflecting from surfaces as human interaction, Luluco was more simple of different but defined people all helping Luluco realize herself and then her in turn showing her own unique love to Nova which skipped him from being ep 1 Kacchan to a more emotionally whole Kacchan than the one at the end, along with prioritizing the gags because it's a six minute gag comedy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, Hisomu was a pretty pointless character in the end after all, huh.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

yuta almost learned something because of him. that's almost something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hisomu was fine, both as a voice of reason because he wasn't connected to any of the love triangle stuff, and as a living representation of the "pain isn't all bad" theme the show was trying to have. I really have no idea why they decided to devote an entire episode to introducing him though. He probably would've had more of an arc if the series was longer, but you could say that about every character except Honoka. It's not like Honoka's issues, developed as they were, actually mattered to the story and its themes any more than his random commentary throughout the series (not saying they mattered less, just that they were both just reflections on the same pain-love connection the whole series decided to be about).

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Clarste posted:

I really have no idea why they decided to devote an entire episode to introducing him though.

mission_complete_o_face.gif

--

The series was all right. To me it just ended with a teenage girl trying to solve the worlds problems in a teenage mindset(If I take away all pain, everyone would be happy! Its so simple! Why haven't we done this already?). Took too long to start up and ended abruptly. However, I don't regret watching. It was a visual treat and I like those.

Nico best girl.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 28, 2016

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
so wait, was the kiznaiver project made by people who didn't know friendship existed or??

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mutant Standard posted:

so wait, was the kiznaiver project made by people who didn't know friendship existed or??

Attempting to engineer friendship and empathy by committee is hardly a new concept, even in the real world. This lot just had deranged superscience to back them up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In this case they successfully made 7 people with different personalities become close friends by sharing their pain and subjecting them to multiple stressful situations. I mean they already had the potential to all become friends and the anime didn't have to actually surgically insert pain implants into all of them for it to happen but I'm assuming their initial brainstorming session began with the initial premise of "what could you do if you could share your pain" rather than "what could you do to make totally different people become close friends".

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Eej posted:

In this case they successfully made 7 people with different personalities become close friends by sharing their pain and subjecting them to multiple stressful situations. I mean they already had the potential to all become friends and the anime didn't have to actually surgically insert pain implants into all of them for it to happen but I'm assuming their initial brainstorming session began with the initial premise of "what could you do if you could share your pain" rather than "what could you do to make totally different people become close friends".

But where was control group containing 7 kids who were just subjected to stressful situations? If you're going to conduct unethical experiments, at least make sure your data doesn't have a bunch of holes in it. These people are lovely scientists.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

But where was control group containing 7 kids who were just subjected to stressful situations? If you're going to conduct unethical experiments, at least make sure your data doesn't have a bunch of holes in it. These people are lovely scientists.

now i want an anime about the control group of some horrific science experiment

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ninjewtsu posted:

now i want an anime about the control group of some horrific science experiment

I'm picturing a bunch of strangers randomly subjected to inexplicable scenarios that make sense to everyone but them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

There Bias Two posted:

Sonozaki is a high school student she probably doesn't even know what a null hypothesis even is and yet she's in charge of the whole thing, no wonder it's all so stupid

In any case, I think the show would've been way better and more compelling if it was about social experimenting on teens with various types of narcissism and self-absorption being forced to learn empathy but then it wouldn't really be sci fi which seemed like the initial catch of the show

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

There Bias Two posted:

Wasn't the control group the random kids who were subjected to the Kiznaiver treatment without having someone from Nori-chan's chain involved? Tenga's enemies in one of the episodes specifically mentioned something along the lines of "OK, so we just do what they say and then they promise to unlink us". They already knew the surgery worked to link people, they were testing for something else (Emotional pain/thought transfer), hence having a different null hypothesis.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I ultimately liked the Anime Breakfast Club. Although I'd agree it could have used a few more episodes for character beats and integrating the whole "this show is about the long-term aftermath of a failed science experiment set in a dying city" thing into the A-plot.

Now we just need to wait for the inevitable AMV set to "Don't You (Forget About Me)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the idea of a big dumb dramatic anime apocalypse being defused by people trying their best to communicate. the execution was middling, though.

• Locked thread