Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Puppies are dicks posted:

I like this idea but vote male for purposes of contrarianism.

A5#

I think you missed an update. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
If someone counts up the votes around 5 PM PST I'll be able to update shortly after I get home.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C1

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Tally as of Puppies are Dicks:

A ) Longsword: 1
B ) Bow: 0
C ) Pistol: 11
D ) Rapiers: 1
E ) Scimitar: 4

1 ) Dimitri: 5
2 ) Alexander: 6
3 ) Akim: 5
4 ) None: 1

The Pistol is looking to be our weapon, and it's looking like we're visiting Father Alexander.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 28, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
C2

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

hollylolly posted:

I think you missed an update. :)

Oh butts it looks like I did. Well, C4

Listen up screw heads, I'm your drat Baroness and this is my boomstick malfunctioning Kalisin pistol! If you pick one you snub the rest and make enemies of them all. Snub them all, and all you have to do is deal with the equally smashingly (I mean smash them equally with the butt of your pistol) to gain their respect as a fair and just lord.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Voting is closed. I'll see if I can get something while I'm at school but the update is more than likely going to come when I get home.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
The Church is just a short walk up hill on a dirt road that passes by fields and the back of the tavern. A low, wooden building, the Church commands the central square from the top of a nearby hill. It is half sunk into the earth with a small trench around it. Due to its control of the high ground you suspect that during a Cathus most of the population would retreat here. Above the entrance is a bust of Divana, appearing as a matronly woman holding a bow in one hand and basket of fruit in the other. The whole building is exquisitely wood worked, with vines crawling up pillars and inanimate birds nesting in low places on the roof. Inside is warm and dark, lit by hanging torches. Pillars in the shape of tree trunks jut up from the wooden floor, giving the illusion that the pews are shaded by a canopy high above. The altar is bloodstained and the morning' sacrifice of a hare hangs from support beams, dried by the rising smoke. On the wall behind the altar another bust of Divana, this time firing a bow at where the sacrifice should be, gazes down placidly at the pews,

Father Alexander looks up from the altar, putting down the scared knife used to kill the animal. He is an old, content looking Aventir man. Most of his hair left long ago, and that which remains is grey and sticks to the sides of his head. Despite his age he doesn't look frail, a life time of hunting in the Goddess's name hardening his body. He smiles at you and beckons you forwards, anointing your forehead with blood once you come forwards, red standing out against your extremely pale skin.
"Welcome child, I assume you are the new Baroness? It has taken far longer for you to be appointed than it should have. The people have grown restless and take to heretical pursuits. They trade with the vile Cathus even as homes burn and families killed. I worry that the corruption of the Severin's will flourish in this new settlement as the savages become bolder. I will not see this place turn away from the light of the Selix, and I hope you do not either. With luck I will see you at the service tomorrow, a murderer was captured and shall be sacrificed. Divana will be most pleased and your coming will truly make it auspicious. And a word to the wise. In the absence of nobility many of the farmers have grown accustomed to running themselves. Akim leads this heretical band, he is a stubborn man and will seek to work against you if you do not bend a knee to him. Such a thing is blasphemous and if you work against him you have my help. Go with the Arrow's Path, child."

Where do you go next:
A: Dimitri the Tavernkeeper
B: Akim the Farmer
C: Nowhere, ignore all the invitations and retire. Filthy peasants

You can ask Alexander any questions you want before the next scene.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
A- Dmitri the Tavernkeeper. Akim looks like he'll be our main rival for power and it would be nice to have both of the community centers on our side before risking a confrontation.

Father Alexander: What do you mean by the farmers ruling themselves? Do they not pay taxes, or scorn the Queen's Justice? Who frequent and strong are the Cathus raids? What kind of man is Akim?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A - check out the tavern first, then let's see about this Farmer.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A
Get some advice on getting these rubes to RESPECT THE AUTHORITY!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A

"Who attends the services, who is conspicuous by their absence? Who passed sentence on the murderer?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C, who cares about these people? Let's have a good meal and nights rest before we crush them under our heel.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
A. I'd like to get confirmation on Akim's nature before, say, risk offending him in the case that he's NOT inevitably going to revolt by rounding up an armed guard before meeting him.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A-We're living in the inn, right? Might be prudent to get on the good side of the guy responsible for our meals.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
A

Ask about the murder, what are the people trading, when was the last raid, what is the corruption of Severin and village gossip.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's visit the Tavernkeep.

Also, it would be prudent to ask what Alexander's opinion on Dimitri. His comment on Akim is helpful, though I wonder what he thinks of the Tavernkeep.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Slightly Lions posted:

A- Dmitri the Tavernkeeper. Akim looks like he'll be our main rival for power and it would be nice to have both of the community centers on our side before risking a confrontation.

Father Alexander: What do you mean by the farmers ruling themselves? Do they not pay taxes, or scorn the Queen's Justice? Who frequent and strong are the Cathus raids? What kind of man is Akim?

"You are the first representative of the Crown to be seen in this village since this land was conquered. They do not exactly scorn the Queen, but they have become used to governing themselves. Akim is the worst of the lot, he is a proud and foolish man, prone to exerting authority he should not have. The farmers look up to him as some kind of leader and listen to what he says. As for the Cathus the savages raid every few weeks. They used to be few in number right after the war, but they've been growing in strength. The heathens resists any attempts to spreads the Selix to them and are frankly unfit to live."

AJ_Impy posted:

A

"Who attends the services, who is conspicuous by their absence? Who passed sentence on the murderer?"

"Most of the farmers, though the tavern keeper and his workers don't go. Both he and his workers are of Dwarven stock, so I'm sure they worship their own gods in the cellar below the building. The Gods of the Deep Earth are...strange, but they do not quarrel with the Selix. Akim leads services to Avarosh in his home. I do not like the Strifebringer, but even I will not go against the wishes of someone to worship any of the Selix, even if it is one of the more distasteful gods. Akim and his men were actually the ones who found the murderer. Caught him next to his dead wife, some quarrel over fidelity."

Avarosh is the Selix God of Chaos, Rebellion, Storms and Change. His worship, while not liked by the ruling class, is popular among the poor and is one of the Patron Gods of Aventir. The first King of Aventir was an Avarosh worshiper, and the rebellion against Tevnir was kicked off the persecution of the Stormking's clergy.

Apocron posted:

A

Ask about the murder, what are the people trading, when was the last raid, what is the corruption of Severin and village gossip.

"They trade steel and tools to the savages for medicine and clothing. Some also take idols and give Selix prayers books in an attempt to merge with the Cathus gods like the vile Severin's do. The last raid supposedly avoided all those who worshiped both pantheon, I'm personally not surprised."

Update up later tonight maybe. If it not it'll be on Thursday, since I have a test on Wednesday.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I vote A as well.

I don't have anything to ask the priest, but we should probably at least check out this farmer before deciding he's a traitorous rebel and shoot him. Being the one to find our murderer red-handed is a little suspicious, but...

This place has been without proper rule for some time. Someone needed to step up and keep things under control, and since the place isn't on fire Akim can't be as foolish as the priest makes him out to be. And we don't want a peasant rebellion as soon as we arrive. We should stay neutral and treat him with respect, we may have a sherrif position available soon.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Those bandits sound like they could be useful if their talents were more appropriately directed. Is there any way we could contact them?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Given that they don't seem to be raiding the Syncretics... After looking into their customs to make sure it wouldn't result in an invasion because a woman's property goes to her husband or something along those lines, it MIGHT be worth considering marrying a Cathus. Might ward them into looking into other targets.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

WHOA don't use up our marriage alliance card THIS early.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, we can probably do better than some stinking barbarian. I was thinking more along the lines of paying these guys off and using them as our personal attack dogs.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, we can probably do better than some stinking barbarian. I was thinking more along the lines of paying these guys off and using them as our personal attack dogs.

I think we need to find out what we have available with which to pay them, first.

I suspect our income is going to be limited to a portion of the taxes and rents we can collect, with the rest getting kicked upwards on the feudal ladder; given that a substantial portion of our farmers seem to want to form a republic or something, they're probably not about to hand us our cash. Depending on how the arrangement works we might be headed for debt in a hurry.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Of Mount&Blade taught me anything, it's that there's no financial pitfall that killing bandits and hocking their stuff won't fix.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I wonder if it may at all be possible to see the murderer...

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
You walk down into the village square, nodding at few farmers who give you half hearted bows. While there isn't any genuinely hostile reaction to your presence yet the locals seem somewhat wary to have a ruler, and a immigrant at that. There is a tone of resentment in the air, though it abates slightly as you walk into the inn. The inn, called Leofric's Sword, is a squat wooden building with two floors. Around it is a small circle of stones; an old Dwarven tradition says that they protect from evil Geists, the spirits of dead Dwarves who died in the darkness. Inside the common room is low and earthy, a roaring fire banishing the early spring chill. The bar is long and close to the ground, carved out of granite and alder wood. Behind it is a tall, dark eyed man, hair close cropped and beard long and braided. He, like most of the staff rushing about the place, has the piercing eyes and hard features that mark someone born of a Hälftemann, humans who have lived among the Dwarves for generations.

Dimitri, the man behind the bar, beckons you over and pulls out a mug of dark ale for you.
"Welcome, Baroness Amaruq, good to see you patronize my humble inn. I've had my workers prep your room for you, not as cold as most Kalisins would like, but I hope it will be fine with you. I also heard that you went to go see that priest up on the hill. He's...Caught up in his books and the past, he can't think past the war. I like the Cathus raids as much as the next person but antagonizing them won't help. I also conduct trade with them, and if it was expanded the town would prosper and raids would most likely stop. Of course I won't go as far as worshiping their gods, I keep to the traditions of my parents, but the policy of attempting to wipe out their pantheon is bad for everyone. On the other hand some, like Akim, take it too far. The man spends far too much time than is healthy among Cathus tribes who raid us, rather than the friendly ones. I know he has strange ideas about governance, but I fear he may be going too far. Still, his word counts for a lot among the farmers and his men provide security to those who listen to him. If I were you I would get to know him and bind him close, he is a much better ally than enemy. As for the murderer? He is locked up in an unused cellar, I can provide someone to accompany you to go see him if that is your wish."

After this you
A: Go see the murderer
B: Go see Akim the Farmer
C: Retire to your room for the night

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
AB

See everyone. Why not?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AB

We could use the Cathus, but I'm starting to think that wiping them out might be better for the long-term health of our fief. Hell, once they're gone, we can replace them with fellow refugees from our homeland.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
AB

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

B - he's a pillar of the community and if we go see a murderer first after seeing the other two pillars, it'll put us automatically on his bad side.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A
B, kill him immediately set an example

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

hollylolly posted:

B - he's a pillar of the community and if we go see a murderer first after seeing the other two pillars, it'll put us automatically on his bad side.

Agreed

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
BA

If we do it then we should visit Akim first and then the murderer.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Apocron posted:

BA

If we do it then we should visit Akim first and then the murderer.

Agreed.

Also I think maybe starting off our reign with genocide is a quick way to spark a revolt. We're an immigrant noble; we need to spend time showing people why we got the job and making them love and respect us. Then we can choose a target for a pogrom.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
While I don't want to hinder your creativity in any way I am very much not comfortable with writing a pogorm or a genocide and thus highly suggest you do not pick those options. In fact those options will more than likely never be available.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Visit the murderer first, then Akim. On another note, I almost wonder if we'll be needing to find whomever counts as a representative of the Cathus here. We can only hope Akim or the other farmlords can be agreeable in disclosing names.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Visit the farmer first.

Snubbing him is petty and stupid. Even if he is a threat, it only antagonizes him without gaining anything.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Would it be too soon to be seeking out a prospective husband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Probably, yes. If the baroness sought a husband at this point her position is too weak to ensure she maintains control. All too likely her holdings would be folded into those of the groom's family. Beyond that, marriage is her most valuable political currency. It should not be spent frivolously.

• Locked thread