Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Haha, http://www.piedpiper.com has been updated for the Box and now includes the sales team profiles and a new blog post from Action Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but then you can't sell companies Boxes!
(not being sarcastic, this is real logic that I've seen people use & fall for)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Xoidanor posted:

Once again, how does the box fit into this?

My past VP of Tech and CTO both loving hated cloud, some of it rational, a lot of it not.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Middle Out is the Compression MacGuffin that gave us a thesis on jerking dicks.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Pied Piper site is yet again updated (site-wide announcement by Jack, several blog posts by Jared). I love HBO's commitment to the supplemental stuff.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
They're using Jian Yang just right this season, I love it. Erilch screaming at him about the pizza and the ensuing slap fight got one of the biggest laughs of the episode from me.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Konstantin posted:

Plus, Richard specifically asked for her on the board as a condition of accepting their funding deal.

Yeah having it be Monica was something Laurie agreed to because it shouldn't have been important: when Russ was in the picture, she would have been the swing vote between Russ+1 & Richard/Erlich (and would presumably not make bad decisions), and after they bought Russ out, she was supposed to vote lock-step with the other two Raviga seats so it shouldn't have mattered who was really there.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Troy Queef posted:

Has Erlich always been at the bottom of the Pied Piper roster because he's a "board member" only? Because if that's new it's hilarious.

Even better, when the site first went up he was the same size as the rest of the main cast, then it got smaller once Jack showed up, and smaller still once they added the sales team.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't see it as that far out of character for Laurie. Despite Jack acting like a shithead, she's a pragmatist and is managing partner of a VC company. Sometimes you have to eat some poo poo. Like she even said, they were going to have a meeting the next day to get the Box in place until Gavin shot himself in the foot yet again.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Avasculous posted:

Oh no, I think you're right and that part was totally fine for her.

I meant more that Laurie's supposed to be a cold, clinical, consummate investor- who here admits to overlooking that the contract surrenders the IP for 5 years (which seems like kind of a big deal) and is then willing to vote for it ten seconds later anyways because the used car salesman in front of her said that she has to "right now."

I can see that, I still don't think it was out of character, really though. Jack's IPO'd a few billion dollar companies so I wouldn't call him a 'used car salesman' and he stated in this episode that offering the algorithm allowed him to get a deal 3x more lucrative than the initial deal they had. Compared to the algorithm itself having 0 value, it's an extremely easy decision for Laurie to make and the deal was probably great on paper until Gavin pulled another classic Gavin.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

I've lost track of how the board of pied piper works at this point. I know Monica is in one of the Raviga seats, but she's on the board by name. How can Laurie just replace her directly on the board? Richard, Erlich, and Monica make three votes to not replace Monica as a board member. Laurie could still exit Monica from Raviga but she's still legally have the seat right?

All irrelevant now but anyone understand this better than me?

All 3 of Raviga's seats are given to the company and up to the managing partner to assign. Since Monica's been involved with them since day 1 and Richard specifically requested it, she's had a spot, but Laurie ultimately has final say as far as who actually speaks for Raviga.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TwoStepBoog posted:

Out of curiosity, is it possible for more seats to be made on a board? If only to get Russ back.

It is, but it'd be very unnecessary until the company goes public or they take on another round of funding as right now the only investor is Raviga. I'd love to see Russ make a cameo somehow too, though.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bighead probably can't join pied piper without forfeiting his contract with Hooli.

Since they bought him out I think he'd be in the clear, really all he had was an NDA stating he couldn't talk about anything he did or disparage Hooli, so as long as Pied Piper doesn't build a potato cannon they're set.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm not sure i remember correctly but wasn't he specifically forbidden from doing anything compression\middle-out related?

Nope! Just don't talk poo poo about the company and don't talk about what you 'did' at the company.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

VagueRant posted:

On the other hand, Big Head was gold this week. "Why didn't you have your assistant do it?" "Well, she was on the phone, so..." And I like every snippet of Jared's tragic backstory and general weirdness. Stuff like that is the show's real strength.

I agree with this 100%. Everything re: the cult of Gavin and Hooli, Big Head, & Jian Yang is basically guaranteed to be gold, even if the main plot is lackluster.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ApathyGifted posted:

The breaking point I was talking about was not a stress thing, it was a "had enough of this poo poo" thing. Richard is non-confrontational as all hell so he stutters and midspeaks constantly from second guessing if he's being too forceful or making things worse when he's in a conflict. Then someone steps on him enough that he's pushed past the "gently caress this clown" point and lets loose. Half the young engineers I know, including the early-20's me, are like this. He's not actually nervous during the non-confrontational phase, if you pay close attention you can see he's actually constantly pulling himself back from just going on a rant. The only times he's really been nervous were basically during season 1, up until the climactic presentation.

This is pretty accurate. I've hit a breaking point in several conversations both with family and at work which resulted in me being more articulate with my frustration but also less polite/holding back with my anger. It's pretty common from what I've seen, everyone has their tipping point.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
D2F1 = D2F2, D2F3 = D2F4 (the numbers should be subscript)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jared... nice. Using that dick!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Episodes is a really, really fun show, more people should definitely check it out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It sounded like his compensation package is going to be made up of mostly equity anyway, so he might come out of the whole thing with a pretty good chunk of shares + a salary anyway. Not that it isn't lovely what happened, though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Erlich was an rear end in a top hat for trying to take advantage of Bighead, while Bighead's manager was a super rear end in a top hat for actually going through with taking advantage of Bighead. Stop taking advantage of Bighead :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Erlich's story about securing their series B funding / jacking off in a Restoration Hardware was fantastic.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's not unusual at all. I worked for a startup that was back by basically a German VC; my company acquired another company (part of what we were founded to do), and less than 10 months after my company started, the VC decided they weren't thrilled with the ROI and shut down both companies. It's really lovely but when you have that much money, a couple million is a drop in the bucket.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I love how Gavin Belson said he likes round numbers before offering $1 million exactly for Pied Piper, then Ehrlich wins it by offering $1,000,001.

Did Ehrlich know exactly how much Belson was bidding when he made the offer or did he just get lucky and bid all of his money plus $1?

BigHead was in the room when Richard found out about the $1mil bid, so Erlich waited till the last minute and dicked Gavin over like a champ :)

Vintersorg posted:

The ball at the end of the episode.

"Always blue! Always blue! Always blue! Always blue!"

From a bit back, but I bought one of these on a whim and it's actually quite addicting.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Geddy Krueger posted:

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mydFes629og

April 23 can't come fast enough.

"Richard, You are a Bad Guy" pretty much has to be in the new thread title right???

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

See I was more chuckling at "You're wearing the same outfits and are saying Rad now? Really!?"

Yeah, but while Thomas Middleditch is cool, Richard is a Bad Person

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently there is a line... and I crossed it. The line between 12 and 15 million dollars!!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Lets gently caress this thing right in the pussy!
He says, outside of an elementary school.

And somehow Russ is one of the most level-headed dudes in the episode.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

The game looks like you need to throw it hard enough to make it flip and then flip back, since from the slowmo video it seems like even a little nudge will start the first transition.

Yep. I have one, spin too much or too little and it'll flip colors.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

hooli.com has got the full Jack Barker treatment.

The marketing team at HBO must have a loving blast between this and Veep.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I could write better Python with my rear end in a top hat

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

I'll talk them into suicide!

Jared going nuts talking to Richard was very funny, Richard quietly taking the cheese knife away from him was just great.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oh my god :stare:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

maskenfreiheit posted:

It doesn't surprise me Miller is leaving. I won't share too many details, but someone I know saw him get really drunk and make a bunch of (unfunny) comments. Apparently he's insufferable and basically the cast's Chevy Chase, only without the prior track record of good work.

Comments about the show?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sportswriters-tweet-about-japanese-indy-500-winner-causes-a-stir_us_592c128ee4b0065b20b7769c

quote:

Nothing specifically personal, but I am very uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indianapolis 500 during Memorial Day weekend.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
haha, Richard's dab :allears:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I loved Jack's throwaway "well, thoughts & prayers obviously" line when he was told about the truck driver dying.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

White Noise Marine posted:

Pretty sure there are a bunch of company's trying to turn your smart phone into your vr headset like Google cardboard

Yep, if you search for VR headset on Amazon almost all the results are for phones.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

404notfound posted:

For a show that's otherwise superb in its accurate depiction of the Silicon Valley lifestyle and culture, the new internet thing falls surprisingly short. There are so many techncial reasons that something like that would never work, yet nobody in the show seems to question its feasibility.

First and foremost, data rates.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

roffles posted:

The main issue I have with the current storyline is that I feel like places like insurance companies would be the last people to ever sign on. Regardless of how good/cheap your tech is they should've been laughed out of the office the second they said 'we're going to back your data up on a decentralized network of random people's mobile devices'

Ha, yeah that too.

Also, in less serious issues, battery life. Forget to plug your phone in when you go to bed? lol sucks for you, thousands of people need a few bytes of data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Richard finally slid that knife into Jared's heart :smith:

• Locked thread