Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I can't even imagine how much that costs - jesus, buy a house

To be fair, an equivalent house (and maid service, personal cook, etc) in San Francisco is also...not cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Avasculous posted:

A counterexample for angry drunks that I thought was good writing: Gavin and his sycophants not recognizing any of the people he employed for 7 years and fired a week ago was totally unbelievable and totally great because it perfectly suited him.

Eh, I can believe it for a Google-sized company. It's not like he works with them day to day, after all, they're just a few of the tens of thousands of people working for him.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rexides posted:

IRC was created by nerds and academics so that nerds and academics from various organizations, universities, companies, and mothers' basements could talk to each other anonymously with various levels of security if one was so inclined.

Well, kinda. The various levels of security it was designed for way back in the 80s were 'None', because noone worried about such things back then. I guess a few support SSL connections now, but that's pretty recent and otherwise it's all wide-open plain text.

However, lol at the suggestion you'd hire a guy to run an IRC server full-time. You can set one up in about five minutes and it really doesn't need much maintenance or resources assuming you're not trying to get, like, all of IBM's employees on there.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 9, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Veskit posted:

And if it breaks?

Then you spend another 5 minutes restarting it. Or stick it on a VM and roll back to a working snapshot if something's gone wrong. IRC servers are just not heavyweight enterprise-style pieces of software with lots of configuration or lots of moving parts to go wrong. You don't need to spend much time maintaining them at the sort of scale your average company would use.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kiimo posted:

I'd like to mention that I had never heard of Slack and still got the joke. Thanks to this thread I've downloaded it.

I'd also like to mention the technical arguments in this thread are far superior to many other threads so don't get down on yourselves. Arguing about coding and startups is highly preferable to arguing about duel wielding anime swords in the Game of Thrones thread.

At least the arguments in this thread have a practical application. I never need to know how to duel wield swords or the proper phalanx to storm a castle. Stop calling yourselves nerds when LARPers are running around.

You can't storm a castle with a phalanx, it's too unwieldy; it's a formation much better suited to fending off cavalry (or another phalanx) :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Some people watch SV for the slapstick comedy and nudity, not for the nerd references. Whatever floats your boat. :shrug:

Are you talking about the horses? :yikes:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fez_machine posted:

Because it's not on people's phones. Lots of people help the compression and retrieval, but the photos themselves are somewhere in that giant server farm we keep on seeing or one just like it.

Or, alternatively, there are lots of copies of the data. If any given chunk of data is on 100 people's phones, it doesn't matter if 5% of them are offline.
(See: Bittorrent)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vorgen posted:

It matters a whole lot if the device that the person is using is offline.

Well yeah, but this also applies if it's stored in the :yayclod:. It's pretty obviously something where you have to be online to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Snak posted:

Also, to whoever said that Richard's "new internet" idea was hella lame, I definitely felt that way at the beginning of the season, and probably let out an audible groan when he started describing what everyone who's tech savy and had to deal with terrible internet service providers has daydreamed about.

But, it's certainly relevant to the show and makes perfect sense that someone like Richard would take a crack at it. There is literally a competition going on right now with a $2 million prize to design a decentralized internet.

We already have a decentralised internet. It's called the internet.

• Locked thread