Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There's a huge difference between being fired from his own company and being given a different C-level title at his own company, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
She doesn't even have any agency because she's beholden to "the man's" (her company) interests so yeah she's pretty useless and as been for a long time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do the horses need any sort of… encouraging?

Nope, the minute the male sees the mare in heat, no coaxing has to be done [Laughs.] I mean, they go crazy. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube…

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I sent you a link to the Knol page via Google Buzz.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

This show relies too much on wacky sitcom misunderstandings like Richard being in the wrong conference room

We should be beyond these tropes in tyool 2015

and why does Gilfoyle need to work for Geek Squad? Can Pied Piper not afford to pay him a salary anymore?

Richard fired him by accident. When he fired all the other people he said "everyone from this line on is fired the end" but if you look closely (and there's a deleted scene on YouTube showing it better but I'm phone posting) Gilfoyle was slightly technically on the wrong side of the line and Richard's word was binding so yeah.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Rexides posted:

Depends. If he was writing a completely separate service or tool where he is the sole owner, there are companies that would just shrug and let him code in a way that is most efficient for him. But yeah, if he had to contribute to shared code and his attitude was "I'll do whatever, who cares?", then yeah, that's an rear end in a top hat move that won't get you far.

The point in having coding standards is for everyone and everything to be on the same page. That dude writing the tool that no one else is going to use isn't going to stay at his job forever and when he leaves someone else is going to have to take over it. If you let people "do whatever" they want on their niche tools/scripts then you're going to end up one day hiring new people to take over roles and they're going to spend some time thinking "what the gently caress does this undocumented class even do" and waste time figuring it out.

I know spaces vs. tabs isn't the same thing as having consistent naming schemes and documentation, but it's still part of the coding/style guide. I personally set my text editor to convert tabs into spaces and to read tabs as spaces for my own poo poo, but if I'm contributing to other people's poo poo then I use whatever format they call for because it's part of the job.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Was going to post basically this.

We use Visual Studio Code and a beauty plugin which fixes all whitespace issues.

If you're using 2 space indentation that would be 4 indentations. Or she was just doing it to test what she heard.

Also what the hell is the curly braces argument? The type of braces you're using depends on the language you're coding in. They're not interchangeable like tabs and spaces.

code:
void SomePeopleCode() {
    LikeThis;
}

void OtherPeoplePrefer()
{
    ThisInstead;
}

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The UI thing is easily solvable if they don't get super sperg about it. By default start off with a simple UI that says "Compress my file" that just uses some decent default settings. Then have a link that goes to advanced options which can be that screen.

I could totally see Richard being a complete dick about it though. He seems like he'd be one of those people.

"What do you idiots mean you don't understand how to use this? I've got hundreds of engineers, CEOs, etc telling me my product is great. You're just holding the phone wrong."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Say you want to build a tic tac toe game. You can just sit down and use someone else's tic tac toe langauge and be done in two hours. but ideally, you would design your own tic tac toe language that no one will iterate on because they will build their own. That would take two years. When it's faster to do it wrong, no one will do it right.

I am introducing my brand new internet, durbit. It's like urbit but you build it yourself, and everyone else builds their own durbits. Then you pay me $10,000 to connect your durbits to my main durbit decentral using decentralized blockchain technology. It's a fashion forward, bleeding edge, top down, bottom up, farm to table internet that you create yourself and pay me for.

But is it SOLOMO?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So I guess the next problem is going to be another slap fight about who owns Pied Piper IP. Hooli might be able to shelter and pay the fine if they realize they now own the PP compression algorithm, Jack comes up with the same/similar new internet plan, and they try to fight in court that Richard came up with the idea on now Hooli property and need to forfeit everything.

Just a guess but from the end of that last episode it seems likely.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah what I was getting at is that there was no formal agreement. Hooli's lawyer could just make the argument that Richard developed the compression algorithm as an employee (CEO but still employee) of Piped Piper, and then relinquished control of it when he quit. I thought they were making it very clear that the fact that there was an "agreement" but no formal contract was a very important thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I hope Bighead keeps falling upwards and it just becomes a running gag (again).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

So do you not get a DUI because you're not the one steering?

No, the ones that serve/let you sell beer have an actual employee/person that you pay that does the "driving." They don't drink, they just steer you around a pre-routed course and some of the better ones are fun and interesting and give you nice insights and interact with you to some extent.

The larger ones that you see on the streets are actually motorized and have plates etc. My immersion was definitely ruined when I saw a guy back out a party bike cart thing like a golf cart.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

One thing I don't get is why did they make it a point to show that it was an actual human that did the tedious job of marking a picture as a penis or not? I thought that was the whole point of machine learning to let the computer do it?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I thought the process was more like "here's 5 million photos of broccoli, now figure out what they have in common so you can estimate new pictures."

At first I thought they needed people to just find pictures of broccoli to give to the algorithm (in which case can't they just Google/Hooli Image Search) which made some bit of sense. But at the end they showed Dinesh literally marking whether pictures were dicks or not. In that case wouldn't they just farm out the work to some developing country? In the last season they even made click farms a thing so they exist in SV.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Found a post on HN about the app and some guy who says he (or his team) developed the thing:

quote:

It uses embedded TensorFlow on device (better availability, better speed, better privacy, $0 cost), with a custom neural net inspired by last month's MobileNets paper, built & trained Keras.

About the training set:

quote:

About 150k total images, 3k of which were hotdogs. The results are far from perfect (there's ton of subtle — or hilarious — ways to trick the app) but it was better than using a pre-trained model or doing transfer learning, accuracy-wise (honestly it was even better than using Cloud APIs). As for the difficulty I'll say I definitely empathize with Dinesh and Jian Yang’s feelings in episode 4 :D

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

- Gavin turned Bighead into a multi millionaire and front page of Wired famous with his own secret genius laboratory at one of the largest richest companies in the world. Erlich turned Bighead dirt broke.

- Laurie turned Jiang Yang into "a very rich" by setting up the acquisition offer I'm guessing. Erlich gave him poo poo for ages and treated him like a child. Erlich giving up his part of the company was him trying to save himself from future trouble/what he thought wasn't worth the effort.

- Laurie made Monica a partner at her new firm. Laurie says it herself that she already knew what was going on from the get go. Erlich told her to cozy up with Ed which is how Monica got that information that he was trying to replace her but if she didn't have that that presumably Laurie would have been asked to join anyway since she would have just been an innocent bystander who didn't know about the coup.

Erlich is one of the worse characters on the show but he's funny so I guess people give him a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The problem is that the story seems to be just spinning and nothing [lasting] is ever happening. They're still in startup mode with a million dollar idea struggling to get money to build that million dollar idea. Every win they make ends up being one or two steps back.

At some point it just gets really boring and I wish they'd actually do something lasting. Or hell, I wish they would show us how much of a genius this algorithm/Richard supposedly is instead of constantly telling us over and over "trust me, it's great, it's tremendous, it'll make technology great again."

Don't get me wrong the show is hilarious cause the actors kill it but at this point I can't really say that the story is actually good because it's in the same exact state as it was in in season one.

• Locked thread