Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

roffles posted:

I guess the fact that he basically has to change one letter in his title after all his massive fuckups is a testament to his genius and he should be happy that he gets to continue to just Write Code. It'll be interesting to see where they take Jack Dorsey Barker, he's clearly not as chill as he seems to be, right?

Dudes a good manager and just mindfucked Richard into letting him on board. Nothing about that was him being particularly chill, it was all him knowing that going in guns blazing was the wrong move, and that he needs Richard on board to make the company work and that Richard won't get on board unless he thinks it's his idea in the first place. Same deal with Erlich: there's no way that he's actually a fan of Erlich and Aviato.

I'm guessing he'll be a lot less chill in a different situation, though it'd be pretty funny if he's just a super nice guy and Richard and Co keep having conflict with him out of fear that he's tricking them.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Xoidanor posted:

Haha, the guy was pretty much textbook portraying what BMA's get taught in leadership class about conflict resolution and negotiation.

Exactly.

Also "Richard, I hear and appreciate each and every one of your concerns" made me laugh pretty hard.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Veskit posted:

Mergers and acquisitions again explains why he fucks. He's an expert you know what I've come on board with that now Jared is mergers and acquisitions.

Everyone but Russ misunderstands Jared:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

EugeneJ posted:

they're either going to end up with Pied Piper

This is my guess.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

FCKGW posted:

You have to wait up to 90 days before you can even begin eviction proceedings. The actual process can take up to a year of the tenant does not go willingly.

A 90 day notice to quit?! Wtf California. :psyduck:

Tenant protections are great and all but that's a bit much.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
edit: woops forgot I wasn't in the YOSPOS bubble thread, my bad for engaging

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

DrunkPanda posted:

One thing I don't like is how Hooli is supposedly the fictional equivalent to Google, yet Hooli is run by idiots that make horrible mistake after horrible mistake. Does Mike Judge have something against Google or something? Because that's kind of the exact opposite of the way Google does things

Google+? Never heard of it.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Look it up on your google glass

Is there any footage of it on Google Video? Maybe you can share it with me on Google Wave.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
The correct choice is automatically converting tab presses to four spaces. :colbert:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

lifts cats over head posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Russ Hanneman actually based off of Mark Cuban?

Yes, he is. Mark Cuban literally got rich putting radio on the internet, and has been selling all sorts of ridiculous three comma swag since before Silicon Valley was on air.

Like many things on this show, they didn't even have to change reality for it to be funny.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

savetheclocktower posted:

Companies pay for Slack not because they're unaware of IRC, but because they don't want to run a goddamn in-house IRC server. In general companies like to pay for things so that there's recourse when something breaks — you can get on the phone and yell at someone and threaten to withhold payment.

Companies don't pay for the privilege of "yelling at someone to withhold payment" (though I can certainly see how that might seem to be the case when you're on the receiving end of the aforementioned yelling). Companies pay for things because it costs more to run them in house than to just pay for an outside vendor to do it.

In this case, do you really want to pay for an extra employee (or more likely employees, for redundancy) to run a loving in house IRC server? Hell no. That's a minimum $50k/year investment with wages and benefits, assuming you can even manage to hire a sysadmin for like $35-40k. Plus, you need to manage that new employee, and have meetings about the IRC server, and all of this extra bullshit. It's far better to just pay Slack a few hundred or thousand bucks a year to have it taken care of for you.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

blunt posted:

Except you can't just roll it back because compliance and auditing dictates you retain every message regarding work that flows through a company channel.

This is why companies are happy to outsource this stuff to people like slack.

No see, you can just write a few scripts (after you meet with compliance several times to get their requirements) to implement the logging you need!

Sure, we'll have to have multiple meetings about structuring the IRC server, and IT will have to train the employees about how it works because it's made for nerds, not Carol in accounting. But think about it: we can just have Gary maintain the internal server in between his other tasks. It's practically free!

Congratulations: you now have company chat without spending the few hundred bucks for a slack subscription. And it only costs tens of thousands of dollars in salaries and company time to get it running!

Oh shoot, the server is down and Gary is on vacation? Uh, just use email in the meantime, I guess.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

the escape goat posted:

...does he wear them all the time?

Apparently, yes:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130518/ISSUE01/305189963/the-biography-of-googles-x-man posted:

“He's a brilliant technologist,” says David Andre, who met Mr. Teller 20 years ago when both were studying artificial intelligence as undergraduates at Stanford University and Mr. Teller was a rollerblading longhair. “But what he does better than anybody I've ever met is 'dominoing.' Not just logical facts. Everyone can do that. But thinking farther ahead in research and business chess than anyone I've ever seen.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Jared :ohdear:

• Locked thread