Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Got a bit of a late start on the show, but I'm finally all caught up.

As a software engineer at a large company in Silicon Valley, this show is way too accurate sometimes. In the episode with the ugly jacket, when Dinesh and Gilfoyle are deciding whether to go to the Philz on Middlefield or on Forest, it was a really surreal moment for me, because I've had to make that exact same decision before. My old office was in Palo Alto, roughly equidistant to those two locations. And the exterior and interior shots of the shop itself actually are of the Forest Ave location.

Also, my coworker got one of those flippy ball thingies, and we started chanting "always blue" when he started playing with it. The irony of a bunch of Silicon Valley engineers mimicking what they saw on a show satirizing Silicon Valley engineers was not lost on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

That off-handed comment about Belson's wig was perfect. Such a casual remark, implying that everybody "knows" that Belson wears a wig, and yet it's exactly the kind of thing to get under his skin and eat at him for the rest of the season. Action Jack is either a brilliant mastermind playing the long con or the wholesome antithesis to Belson's competitive paranoia.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dunno how accurate the tech aspect if this show is, but this show is so god drat funny.

It's very accurate, both in its portrayal of technology (aside from the fictional Weissman score and Richard's breakthrough algorithm) as well as the Silicon Valley life and culture. Some things are obviously played up a bit for comedic effect, but I know people with Richard's neurosis or Gilfoyle's stoic cynicism. And yes, sometimes engineers will get caught up coming up with solutions to hypothetical problems like jerking off a room full of dudes.

The very first scene of the show, where Kid Rock is playing at a big company meeting and nobody there seems to even know who he is, has happened to me before. We couldn't afford Kid Rock, but we had the Soft White Sixties come to an event, and there was maybe 5-10 people actually sitting in the chairs watching essentially a free concert.

Mike Judge is a master of satire, and I'm very pleased that he decided to take on Silicon Valley.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Who is Jian Yang going to call a stupid, fat, lying rear end in a top hat now?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think casting news like this can be a spoiler to some degree since we now know that Erlich's being written out of the show, but then what are you going to do? News outlets aren't going to not write about it, and good luck using the internet to keep up with your interests while at the same time trying to sidestep any such news.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Well I'm not using this thread to keep up on upcoming changes to the cast of the show, because that would give a clue as to changes of the cast of the show. I don't follow news sites about the show for similar reasons. I figured it was pretty obvious that we would have standard guidelines in the thread about discussing things freely that have been in the show up until now, and anything that is happening or may happen in the future outside of pure speculation or clues within the episodes themselves would be spoilered. It takes a couple seconds to add the tags that were specifically put in for that purpose, but if casually spoiling things for others is the cool adult thing to do and wanting to keep a sense of surprise in a show I love is childish then I guess I'm a big loving baby.

I'm right there with you on the spoilers. The threads for American Gods and The Expanse (both books adapted into TV shows) have had a lot of book-readers dropping bombs all over; I'm just glad I've already read them myself so I didn't have to find out certain things by reading them in the thread first.

With news like this, I feel like it's in a weird spot. It's not a spoiler per se--it's news about the show, which, hey, most people want to know about, right? But now we know Miller won't be returning, which means we know that he either dies (unlikely IMO) or otherwise has some reason to no longer interact with the cast.

I guess this is all just a long-winded way of saying I'm not sure how I feel about it :geno:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Press tab to insert four spaces, but more importantly use an IDE where it auto-indents and you should hardly ever have to do so manually

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Let this internet slapfight be a reminder that, yes, coders do get hung up on petty poo poo just like in the show. All hail Mike Judge

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

pnumoman posted:

I don't give a gently caress what Richard thinks about tabs vs spaces, he's a shitstain that uses emacs.

Vi forever! (Vim is okay, I guess.)

That reminds me, a few days ago a question on Stack Overflow hit one million views.

It was about how to exit vim: https://stackoverflow.blog/2017/05/23/stack-overflow-helping-one-million-developers-exit-vim/

Apparently Ukrainian jquery developers aren't the brightest :eng99:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

For a show that's otherwise superb in its accurate depiction of the Silicon Valley lifestyle and culture, the new internet thing falls surprisingly short. There are so many techncial reasons that something like that would never work, yet nobody in the show seems to question its feasibility.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I hope the writers are going somewhere with Richard, because at this point I don't know how anyone can still stand by him. He's a lovely person, and not even in an entertaining Always Sunny way.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There is some serious beef between Pakistan and India. I would compare it to other geopolitical beef but I'm not nearly familiar enough with any of them to do it without potentially insulting more parties. Bottom line is just don't confuse the two.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

blunt posted:

Ready Player One is going to be awesome :colbert:

(For reals, it's an awesome book that Steven Spielberg is directing)

Ready Player One felt a little too much like an "only 80s kids will remember this!" listicle, but apart from that aspect of it, I enjoyed it. If nothing else, Spielberg is the right guy for nailing that particular cultural zeitgeist.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

xbilkis posted:

T.J. Miller accurately diagnoses the show's problem with spinning its tires plot-wise, but also makes it clear that he's definitely unbearable to work with/be around. Filled with shade at Middleditch and outright loathing for Alec Berg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tj-miller-says-leaving-silicon-valley-was-like-a-breakup-1016573

quote:

Yet none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D, so they’re all talking and chit-chattering and squawk, squawk, squawk — but none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D. So they don’t know that I’ve already done the best thing that I’ll ever do.

I don't... is he saying that Yogi Bear 3D was his magnum opus? That whole interview was just weird and meandering. If nothing else, though, it feels a lot more honest than the interviews he's been giving on late night.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

mobby_6kl posted:

Not at all a stretch, minus some of the :techno: about how the update propagated perhaps. IoT stuff can be very insecure and larger devices like the fridge could have sufficient storage to be useful.

A smart fridge determining that foreign code is an improvement upon existing behavior and then packaging it up into a firmware update to send to other networked smart fridges does seem like a bit of a stretch to me, especially when presented as a careless mistake made by Gilfoyle. But it gave us the hilarious scenario of "Suck it, Jin-Yang" appearing on every smart fridge in the world so v:shobon:v

Edit: I was curious about the feasibility of the smart fridge thing, so I went back to see exactly what Gilfoyle said:

quote:

Gilfoyle: Jian-Yang's smart fridge must've been self-correcting. In order to fit my "Suck it, Jin-Yang" video onto his fridge, I had to add Pied Piper libraries to the firmware. Other smart fridges must've seen this as an update.

Dinesh: The smart fridges talk to each other and share the newest software.

Gilfoyle: Right. So when we put that data onto Anton, the last thing he did before he died was back himself up onto a huge network of smart fridges. Anton died so we could live.

That sounds a little more possible, if Gilfoyle sent the code changes as a spoofed firmware update that got picked up by other fridges. Still not a good idea to be getting updates from each other instead of a centralized, authoritative source, but the pedant in me is satisfied :downs:

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Cojawfee posted:

In a shocking twist, the trailer at the beginning of the season actually hid a plot point rather than spoil it. In the interview in this episode, Jared says "we are still essentially a criminal operation, whose only real product is dangerous malware." Whereas in the trailer, he says "We are essentially a criminal operation whose only real product is large scale fraud." Or maybe that was just another take they did that got sent to the trailer people and a different take was used in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oltCLzdHLQo

The scene of Jian-Yang lounging in the pool also never showed up, so they probably shifted a few things around before airing.

• Locked thread