Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No episode where Bear solves a case. Show is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Ignis posted:

Word goes the S5 boxset has no extras. :(

E: or rather no deleted scenes, bloopers or audio commentary - there's three featurettes and that's it. At least they put in the 2015 SDCC conference

I haven't opened mine yet. That sucks :( It's not like I view the extras that much but it's nice to have them.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why would you release a box set of a tv series without any extras? I would think that it was more important than ever to give people a reason to buy the series, instead of jus re-watching it online.
Everyone should be emulating Game of Thrones when it comes to box sets.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

eightpole posted:

No episode where Bear solves a case. Show is poo poo.

Duh, they're saving that for the Bear 'n' Shaw Show spinoff.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oasx posted:

Why would you release a box set of a tv series without any extras? I would think that it was more important than ever to give people a reason to buy the series, instead of jus re-watching it online.
Everyone should be emulating Game of Thrones when it comes to box sets.

The answer is always CBS

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

bring back old gbs posted:

The answer is always CBS

Thought CBS didn't own the DVDs? That's why they didn't like the show so much. They couldn't make money off it on the back end?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Numbers in the show had better reasons to murder things than CBS ever had.

Re-watching from the start, just passed season 1 with the introduction of Leon and Bear. I didn't quite realise how murder happy Reese was when he started. Sure he would kneecap you if you gave him the chance, but he was sending alot of people to the morgue. That grin when he is loving people over is just delightful.

I would love to have a look at their show "Bible" just to see how much they kept track of in their storyline and character developments so they don't do anything outright stupid.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BoneMonkey posted:

Thought CBS didn't own the DVDs? That's why they didn't like the show so much. They couldn't make money off it on the back end?

I bet they own the commentary and not the DVD rights or some silly poo poo like that. Always assume the dumbest, stupidest reasoning with CBS, they have done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Figured this would be of interest, no pun intended:

quote:

In May 2016, N-Tech.Lab concluded an agreement with Moscow's city government to test the facial-recognition service on CCTV camera footage. Moscow runs over 100,000 such devices: 98,000 on the stairs of residential buildings, 20,000 in courtyards, and many more in the streets and city squares, on the roads, and on public transport. All the images are accumulated at the Unified Computing Center of the Information Technologies Department.

"People who pass by the cameras are verified against the connected database of criminals or missing persons," Kukharenko explains. "If the system signals a high level of likeness, a warning is sent to a police officer near the location."

Kukharenko says there is no such system in any other city of the world. When the trial period is finished, N-Tech.Lab will install its system on a closed circuit of the city's video surveillance network. The algorithm will be able not only to check people against the database of criminals, but also pick specific individuals in any part of the city and find their pages on social networks, which almost always contain valuable information about a person's life.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2016/07/14/the-end-of-privacy

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Finchovich: "Вы наблюдаются"
Literally all of Russia: "Я знаю, отвали"

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Crusader posted:

Figured this would be of interest, no pun intended:

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2016/07/14/the-end-of-privacy

In 5 years, they'll have the civilian dash cams streaming to Comrade Samaritan.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Samarutin

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, go nominate Person of Interest for some stuff in my dumb TV IV Awards thing.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Just finished the final season. I really enjoyed the show. It was a bit of a bummer that Root's death was very anticlimactic. Also I wish they gave some explanation as to how the Machine beat Samaritan in the satellite . I know the Machine says "it has to", but I wanted something more. It felt like a lazy way to resolve that earlier established point that 1v1, Samaritan appeared to be the stronger AI.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

n4 posted:

Just finished the final season. I really enjoyed the show. It was a bit of a bummer that Root's death was very anticlimactic. Also I wish they gave some explanation as to how the Machine beat Samaritan in the satellite . I know the Machine says "it has to", but I wanted something more. It felt like a lazy way to resolve that earlier established point that 1v1, Samaritan appeared to be the stronger AI.

Root did say in an earlier ep that she gave the machine some ugprades which made Harold upset.

Another theory is that the machine was fully uploaded to the satellite first so it was able to start attacking Samaritan immediately as it was being uploaded.

But really it won because of the power of the burning machine spirit :ssj:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the final Machine/Samaritan POV shot makes it pretty clear that Samaritan was still in the process of unpacking itself when the Machine stormed in and clubbed it like a baby seal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

n4 posted:

Pretty much everything involving the machine fighting Samaritan was a lot of "tell" and exactly zero "show" which is why I hated whenever they even mentioned them battling.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

n4 posted:

Yes but the Machine learned THE SECRET OF HUMAN LIFE, even if she had a hard time remembering it so of course she won.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah the final Machine/Samaritan POV shot makes it pretty clear that Samaritan was still in the process of unpacking itself when the Machine stormed in and clubbed it like a baby seal.

Oh. I just rewatched it. Yea that is pretty clear, good point.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I have the mental image of the kid running into a room, closing the door behind him, leaning back against it and exhaling a sigh of relief before Root kicks the door in, on top of him, and standing on top of it, the proud victor.

Or possibly blowing the door off its hinges with a rocket launcher.

That Samaritan cell was running scared, and the Machine launched it's cell loaded for bear and ready for war.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

I have the mental image of the kid running into a room, closing the door behind him, leaning back against it and exhaling a sigh of relief before Root kicks the door in, on top of him, and standing on top of it, the proud victor.

Or possibly blowing the door off its hinges with a rocket launcher.

That Samaritan cell was running scared, and the Machine launched it's cell loaded for bear and ready for war.

See to me it was more like the kid slammed the door behind him thinking he'd escaped ICE-9 and then right as he's catching his breath BEAR leaps out of the shadows.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

raditts posted:

Pretty much everything involving the machine fighting Samaritan was a lot of "tell" and exactly zero "show" which is why I hated whenever they even mentioned them battling.

Out of genuine curiousity and zero sarcasm, what do you think would work in terms of "tell" for a battle between two computer programs? A few goons above suggested using the kid, but I feel like assaulting a child wouldn't play well on TV.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

They showed you more than enough for the Machine fight to work. It's just that some of the details are almost background elements and it flows from every season before it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

oohhboy posted:

They showed you more than enough for the Machine fight to work. It's just that some of the details are almost background elements and it flows from every season before it.

Given the choice between leaving things a little ambiguous and bogging the finale down with ten minutes of exposition about how THIS TIME IT WILL BE DIFFERENT BECAUSE, they one hundred percent made the right call.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Westworld drops on October 2.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Chasiubao posted:

Out of genuine curiousity and zero sarcasm, what do you think would work in terms of "tell" for a battle between two computer programs? A few goons above suggested using the kid, but I feel like assaulting a child wouldn't play well on TV.

I'm not sure if anything would work, which is why I think the entire concept of them having some kind of computer fight is really loving dumb.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They did show you a straight up computer fight is dumb in the cage match, it also served a secondary purpose of showing in a fair fight The Machine loses. That's the beauty of the ending, it wasn't a fight, it was a race and the winner gets to kill the other with impunity. The Machine's victory was the collimation of all the years of it's existence. The real "fight "between The Machine and Sammy was played out by their agents.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Does anyone know when season 5 will be on Netflix?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

violetdragon posted:

Does anyone know when season 5 will be on Netflix?

I just saw a thing that said November but I dunno if that's official.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Season 5 of POI just dropped on Netflix. Tell your friends.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

DivisionPost posted:

Thanks for heads up! I can delete from my DVR now.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those who might be interested Westworld is out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

I've been going around with a bag over my head for months now. Just marathoned S5 over the past 5 days. I think I'll have to rewatch to determine if I prefer S4 or 5. Either way great ending.

Edit:

And I don't think Root's. death was anti climactic, it was a concious move to create a missed shot against the primary target while also retaliating that resulted in death. It wasn't just some stray bullet that was walked into.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 5, 2016

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Root died in the last seconds of season 2.
Season 3 & beyond featured Amy Acker as the new & improved "Sudo".

sudo is a unix(*nix) computer security program.
It allows a person to login/act as different users, even the superuser root id.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Finished up Season 5 last night. Golly, what a show. John and Harold's weirdness kept me pretty interested during the first season, even when the show wasn't clicking. But it just picks up steam and becomes this incredible sci-fi tale with real stakes and believable relationships and by the end oh god I'm not crying you're crying

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Levantine posted:

Finished up Season 5 last night. Golly, what a show. John and Harold's weirdness kept me pretty interested during the first season, even when the show wasn't clicking. But it just picks up steam and becomes this incredible sci-fi tale with real stakes and believable relationships and by the end oh god I'm not crying you're crying

Just FYI the guy behind PoI (Jonathan Nolan) is making another show for HBO right now, the Westworld remake. It's really drat good so far and looks like it's going to go to a lot of similar places as PoI.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Here is a great article about the show, though mostly aimed that people who have never seen it : http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/person-of-interest-was-anti-prestige-tv-and-too-smart-f-1787984705

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Read that article the other day and all it do was made me want to rewatch it again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, this show was so good. I'm sad all over again that I found it so late in its life. I'm also sad that Leon never showed up again. I assume it's because the actor got another job. Can anybody tell me what show stole him from us? Was it any good? I hope it was at least decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Spergatory posted:

Man, this show was so good. I'm sad all over again that I found it so late in its life. I'm also sad that Leon never showed up again. I assume it's because the actor got another job. Can anybody tell me what show stole him from us? Was it any good? I hope it was at least decent.

The Night Shift and no.

• Locked thread