Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

And while we haven't been explicitly shown it, I'm presuming that Samaritan operatives are combing the city still looking for Team Machine, since even when Martine was hunting down Shaw she could tell Samaritan had a blind spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crusader posted:

And while we haven't been explicitly shown it, I'm presuming that Samaritan operatives are combing the city still looking for Team Machine, since even when Martine was hunting down Shaw she could tell Samaritan had a blind spot.

If I recall, that's how they found out about Samaritan's blind spot, since Martine recognized Shaw but Samaritan couldn't.

Not sure if this is spoilery or not, since I'm mostly going off what was hinted at in the finale last year, but better safe and sorry. But if Shaw really has had her loyalty changed by Samaritan somehow, then that could be really bad for this aspect in particular, since she was there when Root and her team of hackers installed the malware-infested servers just before Samaritan came online. And while she's not an especially technical person in this respect, she could certainly point out which servers were the compromised ones.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just want to see Fusco finally get looped in to the AI wars and see his reaction to it. :allears:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
e: doublepost

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

docbeard posted:

If I recall, that's how they found out about Samaritan's blind spot, since Martine recognized Shaw but Samaritan couldn't.

Not sure if this is spoilery or not, since I'm mostly going off what was hinted at in the finale last year, but better safe and sorry. But if Shaw really has had her loyalty changed by Samaritan somehow, then that could be really bad for this aspect in particular, since she was there when Root and her team of hackers installed the malware-infested servers just before Samaritan came online. And while she's not an especially technical person in this respect, she could certainly point out which servers were the compromised ones.

My take, going off the last couple episodes of season 4, is that Shaw isn't completely brainwashed to Samaritan's side because, if nothing else, she seemingly hasn't given up Reese/Finch's cover identities to Samaritan agents, nor the location of their subway hideout.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I just want to see Fusco finally get looped in to the AI wars and see his reaction to it. :allears:

I want Fusco to guess and be wrong. A reversal of what Carter did, where's he's just like "it's aliens, isn't? That's how you know all this stuff, alien surveilance."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I want Fusco to admit he knew for a while, but didn't bother sharing his suspicions, because the advice was solid.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Okay I know this is a pretty obvious thing to say. But now more than ever:If you do not want to get MASSIVELY spoiled on upcoming developments for this season, avoid any and all press releases/promo photos for the show going forward. They have already released stuff all the way till ep 10 of the season and there is some massive stuff in there.

Wow you weren't kidding, these are huge, huge massive spoilers and I have no idea why they'd out out these promo picks unless its a huge misdirect or just to drum up more interest for fans.

I totally regret looking them up but at the same time, it looks awesome and I can't wait to watch those episodes.

SpookyLizard posted:

I want Fusco to guess and be wrong. A reversal of what Carter did, where's he's just like "it's aliens, isn't? That's how you know all this stuff, alien surveilance."

Can totally see a scene where Root convinces Fusco she's a psychic or a wizard.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Kegslayer posted:

Wow you weren't kidding, these are huge, huge massive spoilers and I have no idea why they'd out out these promo picks unless its a huge misdirect or just to drum up more interest for fans.

I totally regret looking them up but at the same time, it looks awesome and I can't wait to watch those episodes.

Mind posting a link, or private messaging? Thanks

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I totally regret looking them up
Why does this sort of thing always tempt me to do something I know I'll also regret?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I really dug how Keith David seemed like a really cool boss who just has a job where bad poo poo has to happen sometimes. Comes with the territory, no hard feelings.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Did anybody else feel like the dialogue was pretty rough in the last episode? The exposition has been pretty clunky for a while, maybe forever, but either it's getting worse or I'm more ready for the finale than I thought I was.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Did anybody else feel like the dialogue was pretty rough in the last episode? The exposition has been pretty clunky for a while, maybe forever, but either it's getting worse or I'm more ready for the finale than I thought I was.

I didn't think it was that rough, but it did seem like an episode where at least the A plot could have aired at pretty much any point during the series run (or at least any time after we had some idea of the finer points of Reese's past with the CIA).

I enjoyed the episode a lot, I really dig character-focused stories like that, but I'm definitely ready to Get On With Things.

e. Also, now that I think of it, it felt like it walked back John's epiphany from late last season about how forming connections with people is actually good and cool a little. Which is kind of disappointing.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 13, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

docbeard posted:

e. Also, now that I think of it, it felt like it walked back John's epiphany from late last season about how forming connections with people is actually good and cool a little. Which is kind of disappointing.

I wonder if they'd originally planned to do more with the psychiatrist girlfriend that got interrupted by having a short final season where they didn't have time for it, if the actress got busy, or if they never had a plan to start with and just decided it was dumb. That plotline really did go nowhere.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I wonder if they'd originally planned to do more with the psychiatrist girlfriend that got interrupted by having a short final season where they didn't have time for it, if the actress got busy, or if they never had a plan to start with and just decided it was dumb. That plotline really did go nowhere.

I have similar questions, and similar opinions. And I kind of dug Iris (though I liked her a lot better as John's therapist than as John's girlfriend).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, the psychiatrist part was more interesting. They could have done a lot more with his need to protect people conflicting with his desire for a normal life.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

docbeard posted:

My take on it is that he had that epiphany, but he's also mentally still the guy who can't form those connections and Do The Job. And right now, the Job (stopping Samaritan) is so critical, that he has to break any connections he started to form (Iris) in order to do it to his best ability. Or at least, that's what he's been conditioned to believe. One epiphany from ghost Carter and a handful of therapy sessions aren't exactly going to immediately undo an entire lifetime of experiences. Hence his own version of "maybe someday" at the end. When he's done doing the job, he'll look her up.

i give the show credit, at least, for not actually ever really putting Iris herself in direct mortal danger at any point of that arc, from last season to now, nor having Samaritan somehow target her via good ol fashioned detective legwork, and letting that specifically be the reason Reese ended it. (Or just having her die outright.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think it wasn't the Samaritan issue that caused him to break it off, but the CIA close call. Just last episode he was taking Fusco's comments to heart and joining the bowling team, and then he ran into Beale and dredged a load of poo poo up. There were also comments about it having been several months since the Machine was first taken down; if it was worries about Samaritan he would have broken it off earlier.

Reese flat out looked panicked when he first saw Beale in a manner I can't recall seeing before.

Ultimately he broke it off either way but having his past directly dredged up like that and Beale commenting about Reese doing what has to be done seems a bigger trigger for regression than anything.

Also, with the new version of the Machine being more proactive (hiring an assassin, providing coded messages, etc) I have to wonder if forcing John into a scenario where he would be exposed to his past was the direct goal; a guy rummaging around in classified files strikes me as a Relevant number, not an Irrelevant one. Makes me wonder what other intervening or manipulating she will be doing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
During the episode I saw the Machine list the current year as 2015. I wonder if it means the episode was suppose to have come out last year.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Or they expected the season to start last fall.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There was 0 time gap between the end of last season and this one. Of course it's still 2015.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy Rusty posted:

There was 0 time gap between the end of last season and this one. Of course it's still 2015.

Well between the finale ad the premiere, yes, but at the start of ep 2 they mention a 2 month time gap of them working on fixing the machine.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's still pretty squarely in 2015 though since Samaritan had set up its big purge for May.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kwyndig posted:

That's still pretty squarely in 2015 though since Samaritan had set up its big purge for May.

Oh I know, just clarifying. We are probably in late July/Early August.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Oh man I need to rewatch a feel-good episode from s1-4 after getting through if-then-else on my way towards s5. Any recommendations?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Anything with Leon

or Lady Killer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
CBS didn't pick up the Nancy Drew pilot starring Sarah Shahi:

http://deadline.com/2016/05/drew-pilot-dead-cbs-shopped-1201756288/

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

a cow posted:

Oh man I need to rewatch a feel-good episode from s1-4 after getting through if-then-else on my way towards s5. Any recommendations?

One of my favorites is the married couple who set hits on each other. I believe this is also the one where finch takes his lady friend on a scavenger hunt

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Why does Nancy Drew keep shooting everyone in the knee :gonk:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

stoops posted:

One of my favorites is the married couple who set hits on each other. I believe this is also the one where finch takes his lady friend on a scavenger hunt

That reminds me of something that bothered me. There was this episode where the husband framed his wife of murdering him and the wife then goes looking for him to kill him. At the end, Reese finds them both, leaves a gun for each of them, and leaves them to do whatever they want. Why the hell did he do that when in a previous episode he saved the married couple that wanted each other dead?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mraagvpeine posted:

That reminds me of something that bothered me. There was this episode where the husband framed his wife of murdering him and the wife then goes looking for him to kill him. At the end, Reese finds them both, leaves a gun for each of them, and leaves them to do whatever they want. Why the hell did he do that when in a previous episode he saved the married couple that wanted each other dead?

I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I think Reese's decision was more about the two of them constantly twisting Reese and the team in one direction or another, until he eventually said "Wow, you know what? You're both human dumpster fires. Here are some guns so you can settle this amongst yourselves. I'm going to go somewhere I give a gently caress about. Toodles!"

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mraagvpeine posted:

In Til Death, the couple are basically in an enormous rut of not communicating but actually still love eachother and Reese/Finch see that. I Reasonable Doubt the two have pretty much been using eachother for years and constantly want to kill eachother so Reese is like gently caress it neither of you is worth saving,

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PoI airs tonight in Canada, and from the sound of things it's an extremely substantial episode so I'm gonna again ask everybody to either refrain from posting spoilers or tag your posts until 11pm est tomorrow, when it's finished airing for the US.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

That was a pretty good episode.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:THIS WEEK'S EPISODES:siren:: 6,741/Shotseeker

Monday Synopsis:Shaw escapes her captors, but the team is unsure of her mental state when she begins to act paranoid and reckless.

Tuesday Synopsis:Reese protects an NYPD analyst whose investigation into a software glitch has drawn the attention of Samaritan. Also, Reese and Fusco are threatened by an ally of Elias’s, who is looking to avenge his friend’s death.

Monday Preview

Feel free to come livewatch with us in the TVIV IRC Channel! Maybe most of them haven't seen the early Sunday airing of the Monday ep!

As with every year, my fellow Canadians getting the Maritime airing early please refrain posting spoilers until the east coast airing at 10pm EST concludes.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

loving brutal episode in a crazy enthralling and terrifying way.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I hope someone else picks it up. I was looking forward to it a little.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

violetdragon posted:

I hope someone else picks it up. I was looking forward to it a little.
You might get lucky and the CW would even decide to think about possibly giving it half a chance to even bother to consider this. Even if it is basically made by CBS studios.

And by that I mean they probably won't as they already have way much more on their plate for next season (they renewed their entire slate, then added more on top). They already have a cop show as well on top of having a genre blended into it. Nancy Drew is probably dull in comparison - at least on paper.

The other option is the internet shames CBS into bringing it to season (#toofemale) but it's certainly also not going to cater to people on the internet (i.e. not their core demo).

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

buddhanc posted:

loving brutal episode in a crazy enthralling and terrifying way.

My heart was POUNDING. Excellent use of lighting to just make the entire episode feel hosed up and awful.

Shaw shot herself 6700+ times to avoid hurting Root. I CAN'T. I CAN'TTTTTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
so we're going to get an entire episode dedicated to leon's antics, right

right

• Locked thread