Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I had never seen this show cause it looked like the stuff my parents would watch - in particular, it was always on when I visited their house, though I later found out they stopped watching in season 2 once the mythology got too weird for them.

But then I watched westworld season 1 and I got interested in what Nolan had done before, not counting movies.

I watched all 103 episodes of this show over about 3 weeks using a chrome extension to speed netflix streaming up to 1.6-2x.

It is among the best network shows I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Did you really nightcore a television show

after looking up what nightcore meant, yes, yes I did. I didn't skip anything, I just got through it a whole lot faster.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The full series is about 75 hours long, I just watched it in about 40-45 hours. I totally get there are big scenes and important episodes and I slowed down to 1.4-1.6 for those, in particular near seasons' ends and beginnings. Once you see the same characters sped up for a few hours, the show keeps the same rhythm as it would at regular speed.

I certainly don't have the depth of knowledge that someone who watched it week by week over 5 years would have, but I got enough 'holy poo poo that's genius' moments out of it to be satisfied, and I didn't want the series to end. I'm glad I watched it sped up, first time I've ever done a show like that, but I just wanted to know what happened next.

I don't think I'll end up watching it again, because despite how brilliant the story is, there is a lot of filler there. Now that all 75 hours exist, I bet someone could create a ~20-25 hour version of the show that includes all of the great characterization and neat story twists I enjoyed so much but with fewer fight scenes that Shaw/Reese automagically win, fewer numbers of the week, and higher fusco/bear per episode ratio, and it would be incredible.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the show, and I'm even more excited for the future of Westworld, which, by the way, I have watched 3 times through thus far at regular speed.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KilGrey posted:

I don't understand why you would do this. What's the point? Yeah, it goes faster but...? Are you really that crunched for time? Are you gonna die and need to get through shows as fast as you can?

There certainly are way more shows I want to watch than I have time for - full time software engineering job, side projects, some semblance of a social life, gym time, reading, video games, etc etc.

I started doing it (to reiterate, PoI was the first show I'd ever done this for) because while I'd heard the show was good, I didn't expect to like it, and to be fair, season 1 is rough. And then I got used to the speed and enjoyed the show waaaaaay more than I thought I would. I didn't do other things while watching, I just focused on the show.

Someone linked the plugin earlier, I didn't notice any pitch issues with the voices.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 31, 2016

• Locked thread