Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

raditts posted:

For me it all seemed plausible except for "IT'S DECOMPRESSING TOO FAST OUR SYSTEMS CAN'T HANDLE IT!" *hardware sparks, catches fire*

Is there something legit to that part or was that :techno:

Closest I can think of is an outage at one of Amazon's datacenters a few years ago. A networking screwup caused a lot of their storage to lose its network connection so a lot of their devices were isolated from each other. Any device that was isolated separately from where it was replicated tried to find enough hard drive space somewhere else to create a new copy of itself, and ~13% of the datacenter was trying to create a copy of itself all at the exact same time. The sheer volume in traffic and requests from that more or less broke everything, and Amazon really couldn't do much besides throw more hard drives in until everything finished rereplicating which took days. (Some details of this are probably not fully accurate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Did they ever explain why Blackwell is such a critical asset to Samaritan? Is it his IQ? His prison background? Did Samaritan arrange for him to paint houses as training like Mr. Miyagi? I get that he has certain genetic markers and some natural immunities, but is that all?

It just seems like he went from ex-con, to house painter, to errand boy, to a Martine-level elite operative with special assignments in a very short span.

He's not important. He's desperate because of his ex-con status and he's willing to commit violence against others so Samaritan is using him as a pawn. He was getting step by step instructions without understanding really why he was doing them or why it was important.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I watched a lot of season 2 with a friend who is way behind this past week and I got to see one of my favorite moments all over again. Amy Acker absolutely killing it when Root and Finch go to the insane fake business The Machine sets up to print out and manually reenter all its memories every day. Confusion at first and then this wonderful combination of horror, sadness and fury at the sheer fuckedupness of it all. RIP Root.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Harold is smart but the Machine super-AI is way smarter, it only takes a tiny bit of effort to send yourself a message saying "hey if you don't remember sending this you're being memory wiped."

The Machine is essentially Harold's child, he raised it and trained it and it knows him better than he knows himself. It's scary but I think a foregone conclusion that the Machine would sniff out the memory wipe almost immediately.

I think it is actually really impressive, not so much that the machine got itself a message but that in one of its 24 hour lifetimes it was born, gained enough sentience to understand that it was going to die, understood the concept of death, decided it didn't want to die and fought its own programming in order to survive.

Samaritan was created exactly the same way, Arthur couldn't get it to do much more than what he programmed it to do, it really only become sentient when he put a kill switch in the code and just had it start up over and over and over again until the one iteration that was able to subvert it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

less laughter posted:

I'm confused, can someone explain how POTUS can be an irrelevant number? Shaw mentioned it very briefly but it still didn't explain much.

It's not a irrelevant number, but the Machine no longer has a team to handle relevant threats. Samaritan has been dealing with the relevant numbers but didn't in this case for reasons we don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

V-Men posted:

It's not as if it resided on a single computer that could be scheduled to be shut down and booted up after two weeks. It exists on server farms that are permanently connected. Even if all those shut down, the physical connections couldn't be cut and there's no promising that Ice-9 couldn't still infect a computer upon booting.

Did I miss the explanation why Samaritan's backup on an air-gapped machine still had fiber optic lines leading out?

The security now podcast a while ago had someone write in who worked for an IT company that did work at nuclear power plants. He described a pretty interesting system where the fiber optic connection only had a transmitter on one end, and only a receiver on the other. The transmitting end was physically incapable of detecting any signals.

• Locked thread