Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Really good episode overall, but Greers death was stupid, he learns Harold is the only one who can turn on the virus as they are standing in a soundproof room and then for some reason it's decided they both have to die, when he could just have shot Harold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

The Great Filter is a theoretical solution to Fermi's Paradox, in that as an intelligent species advances technologically they will inevitably reach a point where they are capable of destroying themselves, and that most of them do so before they reach the capability of interstellar travel. Essentially Samaritan believed it could successfully shepherd humanity past this largely unsolved problem.

The thing is, there's no reason the Great Filter has to even exist, humanity has no reason to extend its reach outside of the solar system aside from arrogance and a fear of extinction. The only existential threats to humanity aside from itself and the consequences of our own actions are so far in the future the human race will probably 'naturally' go extinct long before then . The same would apply to any alien species with a similar level of technology.

I assume you don't believe in man made global warming or know how close we have been to starting nuclear wars.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't know how you got that from his post? He was quite clearly discounting human-caused extinction events and instead referring to stuff like the sun going out in 5 billion odd years.

you are right, I read it as him saying the consequences of our actions were so far out in the future that they didn't matter.

• Locked thread