Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Samaritan

Samaritan also had the sideblades and a gridlike pattern overlay. for transitions it also has a white background and a lot of rectangular images strewn about lines.

Machine

Machine UI transitions also look more organic, with his big brain like graph of connections, and its timeline on the bottom of the screen for flashbacks.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Okay I know this is a pretty obvious thing to say. But now more than ever:If you do not want to get MASSIVELY spoiled on upcoming developments for this season, avoid any and all press releases/promo photos for the show going forward. They have already released stuff all the way till ep 10 of the season and there is some massive stuff in there.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

NEW OPENING OWNS

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

"In this episode, we cook up an excuse to drop our worst plotline"

much appreciated, show.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 11, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Goddamn though, that new intro is fuckin sweet.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

StarkRavingMad posted:

One thing I'm not clear on is why they are all basically okay to walk around in the open again and sort of back to normal numbers operations just because the Machine is back online. And this may just be me not remembering something fully or the answer may be "it's a TV show don't think too much."

I remember for awhile they were safe from Samaritan because Root had installed that virus that made the facial recognition decide they were unimportant. But I don't really remember how that got wiped out while the Machine was down or why it's now safe again. Is it just that the Machine maintains their cover identities? That would make sense for Root, but it seems like John's cop cover is fully blown by now. Or was Samaritan manually tracking them all this time and the Machine interrupts that? But then the tracking should have been gone once they got in a dark area like the underground? Or is the facial recognition virus that Root installed into Samaritan somehow dependent on the Machine?

Am I just thinking too much?

The virus is still there, in the premiere Samaritan had to track them manually using stuff like the briefcase and the shotgun root was carrying because they were still effectively invisible to it once they got out of sight and manual tracking lost them.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

StarkRavingMad posted:

So then why was Root unable to go outside while the Machine was down? Is she just a particularly identifiable target without the Machine because it's been doing rotating identities on her for so long or something?

The machine maintained her covers exclusively, because they were fluid. the rest are all hardwired into the samaritan virus.

raditts posted:

Myself, I think I missed why Samaritan is unable to track the Machine now, as it was for like the entirety of season 4. I guess because Samaritan doesn't know it's back online or something? But I would have thought it would be like something something recognizing its code signatures in the internet.

I think it's because he machine is is in a centralized location samaritan isn't aware of now, instead of being spread all across the power grid like it used to be. Not 100% sure though.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SpookyLizard posted:

Samaritan couldn't see Reese or Finch as Reese or Finch, it was looking at them, seeing them improperly identified and manually tracking them via briefcase/gear and movement from Camera to Camera. When Samaritan lost track it reacquired them via the equipment.

The curious question is why didn't Samaritan realize that it's classification system was malfunctioning and not recognizing Finch/Root/John were actually threats and rewriting their profiles as threats. And if it was unable to rewrite their cover profiles as threats, why it didn't realize that it was malfunctioning.

Which means: It's either Samaritan isn't realizing it's having problems, or it has realized the problem and is trying to figure it out. Greer or someone else should probably be or is already aware that they can't rely on Samaritan to find them, and this should be more curious now that the Machine is dead (as far as they know) and they still can't find them. I could buy that they were having trouble following them courtesy of interference on the Machine's part, but it should be an obvious issue to Greer and Decima that their all-seeing god can't actually see all.

I'm really hoping that this comes up later, because I can't help but feel that aside from finding Team Machine to kill them, and finding terrorist targets to put down, finding the blindspot in Samaritan must be a pretty big loving thing.

They actually bring this up in 4x10, the samaritan kid says it thinks the machine did something to it but can't figure out what or how. Basically it knows there's a problem but literally has no idea where to look for it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy Rusty posted:

There was 0 time gap between the end of last season and this one. Of course it's still 2015.

Well between the finale ad the premiere, yes, but at the start of ep 2 they mention a 2 month time gap of them working on fixing the machine.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kwyndig posted:

That's still pretty squarely in 2015 though since Samaritan had set up its big purge for May.

Oh I know, just clarifying. We are probably in late July/Early August.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mraagvpeine posted:

That reminds me of something that bothered me. There was this episode where the husband framed his wife of murdering him and the wife then goes looking for him to kill him. At the end, Reese finds them both, leaves a gun for each of them, and leaves them to do whatever they want. Why the hell did he do that when in a previous episode he saved the married couple that wanted each other dead?

In Til Death, the couple are basically in an enormous rut of not communicating but actually still love eachother and Reese/Finch see that. I Reasonable Doubt the two have pretty much been using eachother for years and constantly want to kill eachother so Reese is like gently caress it neither of you is worth saving,

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PoI airs tonight in Canada, and from the sound of things it's an extremely substantial episode so I'm gonna again ask everybody to either refrain from posting spoilers or tag your posts until 11pm est tomorrow, when it's finished airing for the US.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:THIS WEEK'S EPISODES:siren:: 6,741/Shotseeker

Monday Synopsis:Shaw escapes her captors, but the team is unsure of her mental state when she begins to act paranoid and reckless.

Tuesday Synopsis:Reese protects an NYPD analyst whose investigation into a software glitch has drawn the attention of Samaritan. Also, Reese and Fusco are threatened by an ally of Eliasís, who is looking to avenge his friendís death.

Monday Preview

Feel free to come livewatch with us in the TVIV IRC Channel! Maybe most of them haven't seen the early Sunday airing of the Monday ep!

As with every year, my fellow Canadians getting the Maritime airing early please refrain posting spoilers until the east coast airing at 10pm EST concludes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Real Foogla posted:

I feel like there was some logical error in the last ep. how can samaritan simulate the people he is blind to, i.e. reese and finch?

It's blind to them, but very much aware they exist as members of team machine. This is also probably why Finch and Reese's performances were so superficial, since Samaritan has observed them very little due to the blindspot. One detail i really liked is Fusco wasn't in the ep at all, because Samaritan still doesn't know he's a member of the team.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea. It's a shame the twist was so loving predictable. I was hoping they would subvert it but nope she was in their AI thing the whole time after the first surgery.

It was so obvious(I figured it out when they were suddenly in root's "apartment" after establishing 2 eps ago she lives in the subway.), but I think that's the point. Because the point of the episode isn't the twist so much as hey they have done this poo poo to Shaw almost 7000 times and she still hasnt broken or given up the team cause Shaw too baller for that poo poo.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 16, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

V-Men posted:

I just want 15 minutes from Bear's perspective, ala Pizza Dog from Hawkeye

If they do this they need to also have the intro narration be from bear's perspective.

Fraction Hawkeye was so good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DivisionPost posted:

RrrrrrrrRRRRAAAAAAA gently caress YOU GUYS

threemorehoursthreemorehoursthreemorehours

Hey at least tomorrow's ep is us exclusive(Canada gets it Wednesday) so you finally wont have to worry about spoilers!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

HERE WE GO

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

MrAristocrates posted:

This loving goon

SLUUUUUURP

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy Rusty posted:

:eyepop:

"there was definitely some sucking"

ON NETWORK TV

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

even the lighting is off during most scenes this episode is so loving good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy Rusty posted:

No Fusco was Samaritan's critical error

FUSCOS NOT IN THE EPISODE BECAUSE SAMARITAN STILL DOESNT KNOW HES MEMBER OF TEAM MACHINE, THIS EP IS SO GOOD.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anyone who's able to I definitely suggest watching this episode a second time. You catch SO much that's just off writing/continuity wise.

The first big hint for me was that Root has an apartment, 2 eps after we establish that she lives in the subway now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

violetdragon posted:

Sarah Shahi drat well better be in more episodes.

She's in all 3 of next week's episodes!

Not sure about tomorrow though, if she is it's only in side capacity. That promo promised a huge twist though and I'm pretty sure it's what I had spoiled by the late season press releases.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DivisionPost posted:

But seriously, a full "The Weekend"-esque episode that's basically just Root snuggling Shaw for an hour and maybe getting up to make her pancakes would be bad storytelling, right?

Yeah. Definitely bad storytelling.

We'd all watch and love it though, and you know it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bruceski posted:

"Man, Person of Interest. I wonder how it's been since I stopped watching." :stare:

Interesting episode to come back to.

now catch up!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Argue posted:

I'm just glad the Nancy Drew show wasn't picked up, leaving Sarah Shahi free to appear in season 6 of this great show. :)

Yeah, buddy, I have some bad news...

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bruceski posted:

I tend to watch things broadcast, and at some point it just fell off my schedule. I think it was end of season 3. No idea why, I think my lead-in show may have moved so that day changed into a "no TV" evening.

s3 and 4 are entirely on netflix if you feel like rejoining the fold.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Assassin most people assumed was shaw was the one who killed controls goons, not the elias/dominic sniper, because when the camera pans away from a dead schiffman we see the outline of shaw's peacoat.

I choose to believe they were simply moving her to another sim facility while she was drugged to poo poo or completely out of it. I also figure the phone call Shaw makes to Root at the start of 4x21 is a voice clip from a failed simulation.

On another note, tonight is the only night the american viewers won't have to worry about Canadian early spoilers as Canada is getting the ep tomorrow.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sheeeeeit Elias' money man back in town looking for answers.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This is one hell of a way to show Samaritan loving with the general populace.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

THATS WHY THE SAFEHOUSE WAS COMPROMISED AAAAAAAAAA THIS RULES.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

raditts posted:

Wait, what?

in 5x3 they offhandedly mention the safehouse not being a place they can just take the guy being hunted by the CIA but don't explain why.

this was why.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

He remains unconquered, motherfuckers.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So uh, should I take Elias out of the fallen section in the op???

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

My take on Blackwell arc is that he will be the key to taking Samaritan down somehow. It's perfect karma for some irrelevant rando to be the one responsible for taking out the god that thinks so little of humanity that it assumes a do-gooder like Blackwell would let himself be manipulated like that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

xeria posted:

The point is also to show that the Machine can't beat Samaritan unaided. It needs its human component -- the immediate team/assets, the irrelevants, etc. Root talks about 'arming' it against Samaritan, but the only 'arms' it actually needs are its people.

It doesn't matter how Samaritan keeps beating TM in these simulations, only that it does when both are completely isolated from any possible external/unpredictable variable, wild cards like Shaw was in If-Then-Else. Wild cards like Elias and Blackwell probably will be.

Pretty much this.

By the way, schedule for next week:

Monday, May 23, 10 PM EST: 5.06 A More Perfect Union

Tuesday, May 24, 9 PM EST: 5.07 QSO

Tuesday, May 24, 10 PM EST: 5.08 Reassortment

One of my Canadian brothers can go ahead and confirm that it's the same thing on CTV.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 18, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

JossiRossi posted:

One neat detail I caught was the Bear wasn't in the subway. They showed his dog bed a couple times and I thought it strange it was empty. They could have just moved the bed and not drawn attention to it if they weren't going to spend the money to have him around. Turns out he's keeping Elias company in the safe house :3:

They actually show Bear with Harold at the start of the episode when hes improving safe house security. He immediately dashes across the room to something which I thought was weird at first glance but now knowing he was headed to be Elias' bedside dog is all kinds of :3:.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

override367 posted:

The biggest disappointment for me will be if the show ends with them cleanly defeating Samaritan and returning to the status quo, with the final shot being team machine heading out to save another number, and the machine being chained up again by Harold

I'd rather team machine all die in a blaze of glory and Samaritan finally announce that it is our new master via the (firmly brainwashed) president's voice than have it have a status quo ending

I am still salty about Stargate Atlantis' ending.

I don't think everybody makes it out alive, but I don't think we are looking at a bad ending either.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Flea Wars posted:

They hosed up by putting the Shaw-Vs-Samaritan simulation episode before the one where they introduce the concept of Machine-Vs-Samaritan simulations.

I'm not overly fond of how that episode seems to be a bit of a shaggy dog, and suspect it might have seemed a little more fitting in production order, where you get the reveal that, oh gently caress, Samaritan has its own laptop in a faraday cage and its Shaw.

Having these ep back to back is brilliant because it actually shows the viewer that where Samaritan struggles is the human element, Shaw wins in the sim every time, the Machine conversely loses every time.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nullsmack posted:

QSO ought to be interesting based on that title. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_(amateur_radio)
God it'd be sweet if there was a hidden SSTV signal in that episode or something.

no spoilers but i'll leave it linked just in case people REALLY don't wanna see anything, here's what root will be wearing for that episode: http://i.imgur.com/al0r15j.jpg

its the most :allears: thing ever.

• Locked thread