Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wow that compressed schedule. As many weeks with multiple episodes as weeks with only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Though after seeing the mediocrity that was tonight's ep I have a bit less faith.
Reviewers who saw the first 4 eps of the season say the next three are better.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Considering how compressed the season is, and how this was more an epilogue to last season than a real season premiere, I wish this week was a double shot. Still, happy the show is back, and extra happy that it's no more delays until the end.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I actually recently finished a complete watch of Chronologically Lost and I enjoyed it. Made some things a lot clearer. Like who was in the other outrigger.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

In chrono order it seemed pretty obvious that it was Ilana's team.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

flatluigi posted:

How does it deal with simultaneous events? Is it like that 24-style video that someone linked upthread or does it just cut between everything?

Typically with some sort of split screen. It usually works pretty okay, like lots of the scenes on Oceanic 815 overlap, and it's okay. But then there are a few points where multiple conversations are happening at once, and they still just run at the same time, and it doesn't really work. Of course no one should watch it as their first watch, so you still know what's happening.

I think there are actually two different projects to make a chrono-Lost, and I think they are a good bit different. The one I watched is pretty literal, so you get a bunch of pretty confusing blips of the time travelers appearing for a brief scene of a nose bleed or something. The other project apparently follows the time line as perceived by the cast instead of real time, so none of the 70s stuff is shown until our Losties end up there.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Normally I'd loot a Best Buy.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

"You need a purpose. More specifically, you need a job."

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I totally regret looking them up
Why does this sort of thing always tempt me to do something I know I'll also regret?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So happy Elias is alive.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

My favorite laugh of this episode, as someone who has complained about unrealistic tech in the show, was when Fusco turned up the vocal track and turned down the background noise. Very Zoom and Enhance.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

raditts posted:

That's not that unrealistic. It wouldn't be that great quality and I doubt it's something Fusco of all people would be able to do, but it's plausible, certainly nothing on the level of Zoom / Enhance.
I'm sure a trained audio engineer can clean up audio, but it was literally two sliders marked Vocal Track and Background Noise.

docbeard posted:

I'm reminded a bit of a story they told during the DVD commentary for an episode of Leverage, where the network didn't think that something (a credit card skimmer, I think) was realistic. And they had to break the news to them that no, it wasn't realistic, that real credit card skimmers are smaller and less impressive-looking than what they put in the episode.
Sorry you guys missed the obviously intentional joke in the lighthearted comedy episode.

As for tonight's episodes, my suspension of disbelief is sort of strained by the need for Team Machine to figure out why they are being sent somewhere. I have been looking forward to the Machine to be an open system since season 1, but still this element of here is a number and that is all you are getting is coexisting with this is the exact makeup of the supervirus and where to find the antidote.

It just seems like the Machine could have said, hey, this guy has the flu and Samaritan is going to create a super virus by injecting him with another virus that was switched with the antiviral they are going to treat him with. This one guy who works there is in on it. Oh and that humble house painter I sent you to is now a Samaritan operative in case he shows up.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

It's also the beginning of what is presumably a 4 part series finale, so get hype.
I'm not ready I'm not ready I'm not ready

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Somehow the closed captions for the last two episodes have leaked. Beware of spoilers.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

WarLocke posted:

<-- Avatar doesn't lie. :v:

;)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Samaritan did nothing wrong :colbert:

Metropolis posted:

I am going to miss you, POI threads. I didn't post much but I've read every post starting from season 1. You guys hardly ever got bitchy or stupid for too long, and that may not sound like much but it's very high praise for any long-running show's thread anywhere on the internet. Seeing other people's reactions, thoughts, jokes, and predictions really added to my enjoyment of the show.

Yeah, I'll miss you thread, too.

And I would like to remind everyone that Mister Reese is a bad pun for Mysteries since that was my first post in the Season 1 thread.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I loved the root/Shaw romance arc.

Oasx posted:

I am going to be the odd man out and say that i thought the season as a whole was great, there were a few storylines that had to get shortened, but it was nothing major.

I thought it was at least better than Season 4 and that was all I was asking. But I don't think it got remotely close to the heights of the other previous seasons.

Sober posted:

There was a post on reddit about this. Basically through the series the Machine has been forced to work in really cramped and suboptimal conditions since moving itself and was ready by the end because of it. Conversely, Samaritan is still loading while it's beamed up on the satellite while the Machine is already throwing its punches cause it was optimised to fit into a telephone box or a suitcase if called for. There probably weren't server farms up in that satellite so the Machine had the advantage.

Flaw in this is that the Machine lost every amount of time to the amount of Samaritan that could fit in the laptop in the Faraday cage.

Something else I thought of is that the briefcase switch sort of doesn't work since the one Finch was carrying was the one that had the piezoelectric battery.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

They didn't swap the actual cases, though. Finch still had the actual shell that had the piezoelectric battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Oh hey a bunch of new posts in the PoI thread I wonder wh

:yikes:

• Locked thread