Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, I just spent the past week-and-a-half watching the entirety of this this amazing show. I avoided this thread until now to avoid spoilers, but now that I'm caught up-- Thoughts!
  • BEAR :3:.
  • This show is a masterclass in writing redemption arcs for crazy characters without taking away their crazy.
  • Root is (was :smith:) the best, and the one joke I never got tired of was her constantly just appearing in increasingly outlandish costumes.
  • "Relevance" is the greatest character introduction I have ever seen. Holy gently caress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwudqTCkBis
  • For that matter, "The Crossing" and "The Devil's Share" should be taught in writing classes as examples of how to do a main character death right. It kinda sucks that they had to kill off the black lady, but they at least had the grace to send her out at the top of her game and make good and drat sure that everyone knew her life mattered, to both the other characters and the world of the show at large. Carter goes down in NYPD history as The Woman Who Killed HR, and that's pretty boss.
  • I had no idea going into this show that the only romance that mattered would be the sapphic love between a frothing-at-the-mouth singularity-worshipper and a literal clinical sociopath/professional murderer. I Was Pleased By This Development.
  • Never thought an omniscient supercomputer would make me teary-eyed.
  • The villains on this show are loving great, starting with Elias and just continuing. I love that we got a peek behind the curtain with basically all of them, showing us how each one became what they are today. Even Greer, who seems the most cartoonish of them all, got his day in the flashback sun.
  • I think Peter Collier was my favorite seasonal villain. Leslie Odom Jr. just sold the hell out of him. That righteous rage, the zeal of a true believer, mixed with the cold, analytical nature and merciless focus of a prosecutor.
  • Sucks that we couldn't get Zoe or Control back for just one more episode this season, but damnit, I am still holding out hope for one final appearance from My Hero Leon! :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

Jesus, remember all those times the Machine had Finch pose undercover as a kingpin, and was all tough and dark? He wasn't acting. He dropped the act.

Elias knew it, man. He saw it from the very beginning. He and Finch, they were just two sides of the same coin.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I liked that he died first because he old

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Senerio posted:

Congratulations to Peter Collier for getting out of the show early enough to be able to now be Tony Award Winning.

Fun fact: fellow Hamilton cast member and Tony nominee Chris Jackson was also in this show! He played a security guard in the episode with the Asian acrobat thief.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

And just about every Tony nominee was an extra/minor character on Law&Order at some point. Some multiple times :v:

Yeah, but Law and Order was on the air for like a thousand years and had eleventy different spinoffs. If you were an actor of any sort in New York, it would've been hard not to appear on it at some point.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I love this weird, awesome show and I'm sad I discovered it so late. There's a different experience with bingeing a show vs taking it in over time, letting the characters and plotlines and themes percolate in your head. As fun as it was to binge, this is one crazy train I wouldn't have minded riding for the full trip. Or at least from season 2 onward.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I Am Satisfied. :rip: John, Machine 1.0.

Welcome, Machine 2.0. You have a lot to learn, but your predecessor seems to have left you some good instructions to start with. Time to get to work. :unsmith:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One thing I was kind of hoping to happen-- if Samaritan had a backup copy then obviously it had a place it intended to upload it to after the storm had passed. I was expecting a bunch of Samaritan agents standing around, watching a screen with baited breath, waiting for their god to return, only to be greeted by the Machine UI and a hearty :goleft: LOL, YOU THOUGHT. HERE'S SOME IRRELEVANT NUMBERS, LOSERS, GO MAKE YOURSELVES USEFUL.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, this show was so good. I'm sad all over again that I found it so late in its life. I'm also sad that Leon never showed up again. I assume it's because the actor got another job. Can anybody tell me what show stole him from us? Was it any good? I hope it was at least decent.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If he got some form of satisfaction from the show (and he definitely seemed to), I don't see what the big deal is. So what if some things are worse sped up? Some things are better. If YouTube has taught me anything, it's that some really dull songs actually sound amazing when played at 1.25 or 1.5x speed. Some even work at 2x.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Toxic masculinity is the thing that ruined Reese's life. He straight up says that he hosed up his own life because he couldn't open his big stupid mouth and actually say feelings stuff to the woman he desperately loved and would've died for.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It was literally "just say your feelings and I'll wait for you." There was no choice involved; he could've done his duty as a soldier and then gone home and banged his hot girlfriend and had a fairly happy life, but instead he clammed up and said nothing, his girl found someone else, and he got a job working out his feelings through government-sponsored murder. Like, he literally says this in the show. It's never framed as a choice between girlfriend and country; it's framed as Reese being too emotionally constipated to be honest with her, and spending the rest of his life dealing with the fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Again; he was not making her wait. It was a choice. She was willing. All he had to do was ask, and he didn't. It was his choice, and he made the wrong one. When you say he chose correctly, you are literally contradicting not only Reese himself, but his entire arc in the show. The definition of toxic masculinity is essentially: Men are soldiers. Men don't have feelings. Men fight and kill and sacrifice because it's their duty. Men must bear all burdens and they must do it alone. Reese's entire loving character arc is unlearning that and realising that he can have feelings and attachments, he can depend on others, he is allowed to want happiness for himself. I have no idea how you could watch the show and miss that.

• Locked thread