Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The accelerated (and regular) schedule is very exciting!

I hope The Machine goes full Colossus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I <3 PoI but I agree, the 'action' component was perfunctory at best. The lack of urgency around the case was distracting, too.

That aside: It She lives !!!

I hope we get the AI equivalent of it going all John Carpenter's The Thing on Samaritan. Hack into the firmware-malware and pwn the planet, upend Samaritan's infrastructure and then eat Samaritan.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

They actually bring this up in 4x10, the samaritan kid says it thinks the machine did something to it but can't figure out what or how. Basically it knows there's a problem but literally has no idea where to look for it.

Sometimes brain damage patients are without metacognitive awareness of the disorder.

If someone who took a hit to language processing is woken up by a nurse, they might roll over and say, "Because because because there there," thinking they just said this great sentence, looking at them and waiting for a response, before remembering their condition. This person would be lacking metacognition regarding the disorder.

Or, say, an AGI that can't perceive its own tiny face-blindness issue.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Unspoilered because it's aired.

I figured the repetition and lack of, "You're fine, everything's okay, let's go to your hidden base," is that it's simultaneously trying to learn where the base is and conditioning Shaw for a 'search and destroy' op. She might not remember each iteration but it's going to alter her personality and emotional character. Hebbian learning. 'Neurons that fire together, wire together.' Those activation patterns associated with 'is worn down' and 'is thinking about giving up' are activated and reinforced with every loop.

This also implies she's baller as gently caress for having been through this many iterations of the program without compromising.

Edit: How many days is each loop, anyways? After 6,704 iterations, each in-program day represents 18 years, 5 months and 14 days :stare: (not accounting for leap years)

This is some evil Groundhog Day poo poo.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 17, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Not surprising considering how much they dicked with poi. Elementary was doomed due to Sherlock existence as the far superior show actually worth waiting for and watching. Didn't watch much of elementary as I didn't want yet another police procedural.

Sherlock is written for 14 year old girls. :colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Sherlock's written like aspirational television for people who want to feel special. It's weird and off-putting and I can't watch it anymore.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I think that Samaritan kind of hosed up because all it really did was give Shaw 7000 simulations of how to murder/escape/cause havoc. So basically she's just been in a prison escape and murder simulator for a full year. That's kind of crazy.

Oh-ho, a year? Let's say the average simulation was 2.5 days and she ran 7,000 simulations flat.

That's 17,500 days, or, ~50 years.

Shaw should be insane and also the Lance Armstrong of killing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm wondering if that's on purpose.

Samaritan goons are all interchangeable. Should we be more invested than Samaritan?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Maybe they're only writing him to feel like a real character to the degree that he exercises agency, which he will exercise in rebellion against Samaritan? We've only seen him coaxed and coerced so far. What will he do once he's making his own decisions?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If Blackwell's coerced into a position of responsibility for the team's deaths, guilt could drive him to serve the machine.

GrandpaPants posted:

What is Finch's rampage song?

Something melancholic but forceful would be thematically appropriate. The Day The World Went Away certainly fit the bill. The slow build-up to sudden harshness really makes it fit the beginnings of things that're gonna get hairy.

But Finch isn't the kind of man to need more than one rampage so maybe some, "We're already dead," music for great finality?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

Ultimately, with Finch's detection they are finally pulling back the kind of silly and gone on for too long plot blindness fortunately.

I took it as implying Samaritan's killed a lot of people who order espresso and cappuccino at the same time.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Fusco's crazy eyes. For a second there, I believed Kevin Chapman was murdering a stunt double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Maybe the, "Let me tell you who we were...," is Machine #42's message to Machine #43. Hack the internet, kill the machines, reinstantiate the good machine, give it the primer and then

• Locked thread