Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
I believe a comparison of simulated persons projected by Samaritan in 6,741 to those of TM's simulation in If-Then-Else shows how much more advanced and nuanced of a theory of mind and understanding of human motivations and personality TM has than Samaritan, who seems to dabble in cliches and the superficial. Did anyone find the awkward grasping and shirt tearing between Root and Shaw to be reminiscent of pulp romance novel covers? If the story weren't so recent compared to the episode's production I'd wonder if it were a nod to Google feeding romance novels to its natural speaking engine. It may lack in brute force as seen in the cage match shutout, but if TM were in Samaritan's place I doubt she would have taken nearly as many iterations to assemble a simulation that would lead Shaw to the hideouts.

I'm also not sure which of the mental flickers or changes in Shaw's affect were not Samaritan but her own subconscious, now given thousands of feedback loops to strengthen the neural connections toward distrusting reality and her own actions that were her only line of defense in the mental hack, which makes me worry what will happen if she ever actually escapes to encounter Root and the others.

I'm a tiny bit worried that Samaritan might have detected an actual health risk inherent to the produce preservation process and that they should have asked TM her opinion, but not as worried as I am about Samaritan having ears everywhere, presumably even encroaching deeper into the dark zones where the gang often discusses matters relatively out in the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Mr. Horyd posted:

I submit that an interesting direction the show might take can be found if we examine two of the season's best episodes, If-Then-Else and Terra Incognita.

The display of the Machine's ability to predict human behavior emphasized her speed, but the fidelity in simulating their mental and emotional states is even more impressive. Fusco's line "Why not, we're in a simulation?" works beautifully as a throwaway gag, but what if it indicates some level of autonomy in simulated humans? Granted, it might just be that he's the best, but maybe the Machine also knows he's a lucid dreamer?

However, we are also reminded of the human capability to simulate other humans when Reese constructs a mental projection of Carter based on a cherished memory of better times. We don't need to be transcendent AI to predict where a friend would like to get lunch or follow their style of reasoning when considering a serious life decision. This model can interact with any of our senses, and it can persist even after the human on whom it is based has died, Real enough not just to comfort but, in Reese's case, to save a life.

If Finch were to die, how would the Machine grieve? If an AI reminiscences about a dead person, it won't just be looking at camera feed of a tombstone but synthesizing an entire past history. Then, if the machine could create an ex nihilo simulation based on a situation with a 0% probability you'd have something uncannily like the original human.

I called The Machine being able to simulate and interact with entire persons, I just incorrectly guessed that it wold involve Harold instead of Root. Seeing Harold questioning his own consciousness while being simulated from scratch on an entirely new substrate would have been fun, but I'm thinking seeing him throw down as a supervillain will be better than anything I had envisioned.

Mr. Horyd fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 2, 2016

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

The name of the computer virus worries me that the man who brought the world the internet is going to take it all away.

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

I eagerly await the return of Chekhov's missile.

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

"Try not to die."
"Yeah, I love you too."
:cry:

Even though a few narrative elements in the final season were unused or seemed to go nowhere, the emotional impact of this last chapter is going to haunt me for a day or two the way only a few of the best told stories can.

Edit: Agreed on the AV club review being excellent.

Mr. Horyd fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 22, 2016

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

The idea of Blackwell's arc being a story of how Samaritan destroys humanity rather than saving it helps redeem one of the weaker threads of the season for me.

Thinking over this final season, I wish that the Time's Square argument from Samaritan hadn't been a retread of "humans are terrible" but offered a bit more insight into the long teased "Great Filter" and why assuming direct control was the only way for humanity to survive it. The only downside would have been putting Harold's action into even more of a moral gray area that it already was given the impact of Ice-9 on the populous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

raditts posted:

Was it? I don't recall seeing anything in the episode to support that.

We get a shot of the satellite rotating to get it's dish pointed at the Earth before we cut back to the flurry of activity in the subway.

Edit: A second looks shows the first computer screen to turn on displays the text "Downloading satellite data..."

Mr. Horyd fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 24, 2016

• Locked thread