Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Just finished the final season. I really enjoyed the show. It was a bit of a bummer that Root's death was very anticlimactic. Also I wish they gave some explanation as to how the Machine beat Samaritan in the satellite . I know the Machine says "it has to", but I wanted something more. It felt like a lazy way to resolve that earlier established point that 1v1, Samaritan appeared to be the stronger AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah the final Machine/Samaritan POV shot makes it pretty clear that Samaritan was still in the process of unpacking itself when the Machine stormed in and clubbed it like a baby seal.

Oh. I just rewatched it. Yea that is pretty clear, good point.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

I like the cop plot lines. Especially when the bad guys get what's coming to them!

That said I kinda see the point about "toxic masculinity", though I think that's an extreme way of phrasing it. Reese is a good guy and definitely not a misogynist, but he embodies so many masculine/action hero tropes that it's a little over the top at times. I do find his character silly with his serious Batman voice and silly one liners after violence or a shootout, but it didn't stop me from appreciating his part in the show otherwise.

A separate point: sometimes when I tell people about the show I explain that Reese might as well be a superhero with what he accomplishes in any given situation.

Edit: also I think Shaw and Root being a thing was very awkward romance to throw in the show. It didnt seem natural at all. But who cares because they're both fine as hell

n4 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 4, 2017

n4
Jul 26, 2001

oohhboy posted:

If you are going to apply that to Reese, you must do the same for Fusco, Root, Carter and Shaw because they are all action heroes(Generally on the realistic end) that quip because that what action heroes do. Reese being a male action hero or masculine does not automatically designate him "toxic *insert gender*" as proven by Zaggitz whether you use a more open or "Extreme" interpretation. If you have to reach that far it likely wasn't true in the first place.

Well I don't know what the original poster's reasons for saying that are. I'm just relating. The tropes do bug me a bit but it's not because of "toxic masculinity" reasons. You're right that they're all very tropey characters though.

• Locked thread