Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Guy Mann posted:

Between this ep and Chappie I wonder if the writers both read the same wacky news story about using video game consoles to make supercomputers or if Sony is super keen on making the Playstation look like a supercomputer or some mix of both.

http://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html
Between the two, this show is more accurate. PS3's had a mode called "Other OS" and you could install Linux and use it as a desktop computer. Which means you could also cluster these together to run massively parallel software. It had some limitations so you couldn't just use it to boot up bootleg games. Sony removed that mode after someone started coming up with ways to play bootleg games using it. The PS4 consoles used in Chappie have no such mode. Also, much like the Xbox one they are basically just x86 computers with a Radeon card anyways. PS3s are a little old. I would've been more impressed had they setup a GPU-based cluster using a shitload of computers with 4 modern video cards each. But that would've been a little harder to convey to the audience what was happening.
It's not at all wacky. It's just uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Zaggitz posted:

Pretty much this.

By the way, schedule for next week:

Monday, May 23, 10 PM EST: 5.06 A More Perfect Union

Tuesday, May 24, 9 PM EST: 5.07 QSO

Tuesday, May 24, 10 PM EST: 5.08 Reassortment

One of my Canadian brothers can go ahead and confirm that it's the same thing on CTV.

QSO ought to be interesting based on that title. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_(amateur_radio)
God it'd be sweet if there was a hidden SSTV signal in that episode or something.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 19, 2016

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Sub Rosa posted:

My favorite laugh of this episode, as someone who has complained about unrealistic tech in the show, was when Fusco turned up the vocal track and turned down the background noise. Very Zoom and Enhance.

I laughed at this. How would the computer even know which sounds are which? I mean maybe if it was just a general equalizer and he knew what to do to emphasize the voices. But this is TV, so really they just dumbed the idea down enough for people to understand what was going on.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish it could've continued on Netflix though. That must be why CBS never announced it, just another gently caress you to the fans.

I'd watch the poo poo out of a similar show if WB sold one to Netflix.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Zaggitz posted:

Complete series boxset is available for pre-order on amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FNG2KDA/

Pretty drat good price considering that's 5 seasons and a regular BR season is like 50 bucks.

Not really if you consider the Blurays of the individual seasons are $15 or so on Amazon. Except Season 5 is currently listed at $45.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The preorder prices for Season 5 on Bluray are being wacky on Amazon. It started out saying $45 a few weeks ago, then I saw it at $33 last night and today it's saying $27. Makes me wonder what it's actually going to be in a few weeks when it is released.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Wow, how do you even get it out?
Also, I think the part you put in your ear is just a magnet that picks up a magnetic field from the loop around your neck.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/160080-man-implants-magnetic-headphones-becomes-music-cyborg

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

berzerkmonkey posted:

You stick a magnet in your ear. No, really:

Actually, that makes perfect sense...
I wouldn't want to use this though. I imagine you'd get interference from other magnetic fields. Imagine if you walked through a particularly strong one. It'd be easy to blow out your eardrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Ignis posted:

Word goes the S5 boxset has no extras. :(

E: or rather no deleted scenes, bloopers or audio commentary - there's three featurettes and that's it. At least they put in the 2015 SDCC conference

I haven't opened mine yet. That sucks :( It's not like I view the extras that much but it's nice to have them.

• Locked thread