Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
I wouldn't mind a bleak series end, like Alphas or that one-off Dollhouse episode where the future was an unrecognizable post-apocalyptic nightmare.
It's the ending we need and deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
It's almost as if the war was lost about 0.34 seconds after Samaritan came online, and everything since has just been a display of futile resistance.

In fact, maybe POI is actually the story of the birth and ascension of the new world overlord, humanity's friend, the good and beneficent Samaritan. We could have even solved crime, world hunger, poverty, under-education and overpopulation a few years sooner without the interference of those pesky meddlers, team "Machine", and their misguided attempts to save single, irrelevant individuals at the expense of the world's collective improvement.

Greer did nothing wrong.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
'Can you hear me?'
Gut punch.

*cuts to Fusco and Coco Puffs*

Goddammit.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
Did they ever explain why Blackwell is such a critical asset to Samaritan? Is it his IQ? His prison background? Did Samaritan arrange for him to paint houses as training like Mr. Miyagi? I get that he has certain genetic markers and some natural immunities, but is that all?

It just seems like he went from ex-con, to house painter, to errand boy, to a Martine-level elite operative with special assignments in a very short span.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

THF13 posted:

He's not important. He's desperate because of his ex-con status and he's willing to commit violence against others so Samaritan is using him as a pawn. He was getting step by step instructions without understanding really why he was doing them or why it was important.

Just seems weird. Samaritan could recruit or manipulate almost anyone from a much larger talent pool, including professionally trained soldiers, spies, Hague investigators, etc.
But hey, this ex-con house painter seems really smart and capable.

Eh. I trust the showrunners to make this make sense, so I'll just enjoy what's left of the ride.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
So the machine has Thornhill employees at the ready also. And running her own operations with at least one other team. I wonder what exactly happens when Finch tales the shackles off.

I get on the elevator or your daughter dies in 5weeks. That's ice cold.

Shaw has the rotating cover now.

Harper is annoying, but OK in small doses.

I miss this show already.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
Aside from a mid-season cancellation, I've never seen a series openly shat upon by their network like this. If I don't get a satisfactory conclusion due to CBS' fuckery and shortened season, then I will refuse to watch any of the lovely CBS shows that I already don't watch anyway. I'll probably tune in for March Madness and go right back to forgetting that the network exists.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
What a ride. I don't think I've ever been as invested in any other TV characters, both the heroes and villains. Well, except for The Wire.
But I already miss this incredibly smart, ridiculous, sometimes dark, and often goofy show. Bravo!

Also, I must have missed it, but didn't Fusco leave the police department at gunpoint after Reese choked their captain to sleep, Jack Bauer style? Isn't he a fugitive now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

DivisionPost posted:

Easy: He's the counter to Samaritan's argument that it wants to save humanity. Starts off as a sympathetic ex-con, is recruited by Samaritan with the same speech Finch gave Reese. But whereas Reese's work gave him a sense of purpose, Blackwell's work chipped away at his humanity, the same humanity Samaritan purported to protect.

Okay, Shaw may have killed him despite her being one of the heroes. But that's her moral code; she killed her boss because of the hit he ordered on her old partner. Blackwell wasn't special, and he proved that by patronizing her with that "nothing personal" bullshit -- which is a million miles away from the family man trying to make good that we were introduced to.

Could it have used a few more episodes to develop? Sure. But the point is intact: Samaritan argues that it can save the world. It tried to do so by turning good men like Blackwell into murderous pricks like Wilson. Assuming you're on Team Machine and agree with saving the world through saving the individual, what better way to call bullshit on Samaritan's philosophy?

I love this observation, and it absolutely makes sense. The machine collected broken people, gave them purpose, and gradually "fixed" them and restored their humanity to some degree. Reese, Root, Shaw, Fusco, even Finch- all broken or corrupted in some way when we meet them, but we get to see their characters grow and evolve. Blackwell was an ex-con trying to go straight and in a reverse parallel is broken and corrupted by Samaritan for, presumably, the same goal of saving humanity. This show...

• Locked thread