Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So how's CBS going to gently caress with the airing besides what they've already done? :v:

I just got around to watching that extended trailer and I am really excited to see where they take the final act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

WarLocke posted:

The OP's gifs brought my laptop to its knees (kind of like Reese's love affair with kneecaps :v:)

I am so hype for this. I wonder if Fusco will ever actually find out about The Machine? :suspense:

He knows there's something, he just knows he's better off not knowing exactly what. Dirty cop instincts.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JossiRossi posted:

There was a great moment when Finch was talking about the Machine right next to Fusco. When Finch then tries to get Fusco's attention he was totally in la la land. Fusco knows exactly as much as he wants to. I think he knows he is a potential weak link, so if he ever gets coerced he doesn't actually want info to divulge.

And that's why Fusco is the best. Second, if you count the dog.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wanted to hear Lionel say 'nuclear fustercluck', but it looks like that didn't make the cut. Shame.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zaggitz posted:

ideally it'll just be clusterfuck in the dvds.

I feel like it'd be more like Fusco to actually say fustercluck, honestly. I mean, he does have a kid.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I thought he said "farkakte," which is Yiddish for "crappy" or "screwed up" or "ridiculous" or "goddamn." As a NYC cop, he probably would have picked it up as a slang expression.

That's what it sounded like, now that I've seen it spelled out. That's a pretty Fusco thing to say, too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it was a gamble and a way to get out of camera view. She'd either get a new identity and be on her way or she'd stall until she came up with a better plan and/or got help.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Turns out maybe Reese and Root are bad role models. Who could have thought?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh my god we're getting Keith David. This season is going to be amazing. :allears:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So it's the reversea reprise of that one time the machine had Root protect that janitor? The one who used to be in IT before she murdered her way through his office?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 11, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, the psychiatrist part was more interesting. They could have done a lot more with his need to protect people conflicting with his desire for a normal life.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think one of the more telling ways that Finch was off was him referring to Samaritan as a god. I also liked Lambert referring to Team Machine as the Machine's acolytes. Both of those things are things Greer says. I forget what Lambert called them when he gave the meeting invite to Root, but I'm reasonably sure it wasn't acolyte.

I guess Samaritan thinks Greer is an example of how people see AIs.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

Did this episode take place in the past? I thought Shaw showed up in S4 in one of Decima's vans. I forget the circumstances, but does it line up with the possibility that she's the one who sniped Elias and Dominic?

I don't think so. They didn't make it ambiguous who shot them, it was just some dude from Samaritan.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't know that it'll be 'bad' , but I'm definitely feeling like it's going to be really open after a big paradigm shift of some sort. I wonder if this episode is doing something to set that up with them releasing the research. It's definitely in keeping with the show that releasing something when you don't understand the consequences is dangerous.

I like the Root/Reese parallel in that they're both trying to encourage the person they're protecting to take up arms. Reese trying to teach Harold to shoot definitely has an echo in Root wanting to teach the Machine to push back. Their pacifistic natures are the only thing keeping them from becoming the monsters they're fighting, as evidenced by the Garrison kidnapping. I definitely am interested to see where they take that.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 18, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, one of the first things Finch says to Reese is that they'll probably both end up dead. I feel like it going either way would be pretty satisfying. It being a squad wipe would feel pretty lovely, though, I think.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I kind of feel like Root makes it out, too. She's not nearly as self-destructive as the others.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

WarLocke posted:

This came up a while back in the thread, and someone had the idea that Finch and Reese will die in the finale (fulfilling the arc started in that early episode when they talk about neither surviving all this alive) and the show will end with Root doing a version of Finch's monologue as she and Shaw continue to do the work of Team Irrelevant (for Root, finally completing her journey from villain to hero; and for Shaw mirroring Reese's arc of finding a purpose in life by saving numbers).

Personally I really like that idea.

I could very easily see that working quite well. The changes in the intro and monologue have been used to show changes in the status quo fairly frequently, so I could see capping it with a final one.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

WarLocke posted:

Just as long as Fusco is still there being all loud and bellicose about nobody ever telling him anything and he doesn't even want to know!

Well, yeah, Fusco and Bear are implied, being the best characters.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Artificial Super Intelligence, I think? The distinction being that they're basically omniscient in addition to being sentient.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, pretty good so far. Bear/Fusco, Root at a wedding as a running gag, Harold singing Twisted Sister in the worst brogue ever put on film. I can't wait to see how they top this. :allears:

Edit: Oh, like that.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 24, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wow, that was some emotional whiplash. Up, then bittersweet, then back to reality. loving awesome.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

I didn't notice the guy who yelled "an old Irish traditional!", that's great. Who knew you could do up Twisted Sister to sound like a protest song?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is Root gonna steal a missile? Alright, sure, why not.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zaggitz posted:

oh poo poo Elias and Fusco teaming up.

Yeah, this is gonna be good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
In case you forgot, Samaritan is monstrous. Also viruses mutate instantaneously on contact in the bloodstream.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Regy Rusty posted:

:stare:

What is happening

The people who are actively being pursued by an evil superintelligence are less crazy and paranoid than regular people, also the people who who work for said superintellegence.

This one's straining my credulity a little, honestly.

Edit: Ok, it won me back over. Eat poo poo, Lambert.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 25, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Regy Rusty posted:

YOU FUCKIN TELL HIM ELIAS

This show makes me yell

Got me a few times tonight, admittedly.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, I think he was trying to save his own rear end by reminding her how futile resistance in a simulation is. I think he underestimated how much she wanted to watch him bleed.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

stoops posted:

What was the coded radio/printer message Root gave to Shaw?
"Four-alarm fire" is a reference to If-Then-Else, where Shaw tells Root that they'd be like a "four-alarm fire in an oil refinery."

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ShakeZula posted:

Is Shaw's original blindspot cover still effective? Now that Samaritan has lost manual track of her she can just disappear into the crowd again, right?

Her setup isn't like Root's, once it was burned, it was done. Samaritan has that blindspot ID marked as deviant.

Actually, something I noticed. The machine tags people based on threat, knowledge, and stuff like admin or asset. Samaritan's only special markers are threat and asset. Greer just has Primary instead of an asset number. Really cool way of showing the difference in how they see people.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Shaw in NY! Now poo poo can get real. :toot:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hell yes, yellow box Fusco. I wonder if Shaw realized that Fusco wasn't in any of the simulations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

paragon1 posted:

Samaritan couldn't simulate Root's crazy. :allears:

Yeah, it's always nice to be reminded that Samaritan doesn't understand people. Root loving loves playing chicken.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Regy Rusty posted:

I think that up until now

God Mode has been a misnomer

Yeah, Finch with God Mode is going to be horrifying. Reese and Root just know how to hurt people, Finch has been taking systems apart since he was 13.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

HorseRenoir posted:

Finch is about to go Ben Linus on everyone's asses :unsmigghh:

I was thinking more John McAfee. I mean, he already spent his afternoon in a meth lab. :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I missed the preview, I'll have to check it out whenever CBS puts the episode up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Neat, thanks!

I dunno if we'll see Control. I don't like the possibility she's been broken by Samaritan.

In return, here's a 100 Episode thank you from the cast. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0mTX3NA9P8

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it's Finch being a hard-headed son of a bitch and refusing tools because they violate his ethics. Root got all the information she wanted when asking the open system. Harold just refused to rely on it at all, since he planned on closing it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't think it's a subtle distinction. Samaritan is an open database. Anyone with access can run queries, track people, mark out hits. The Machine is closed (to most people, anyway), it has all the same information, but the idea is that you can only interact with it as designed via the relevant numbers protocol and Ingram's failsafe. It's the difference between being able to talk to the dude in the Chinese Box and the door being locked.

It definitely seems that the erasure methods aren't being repeated, I'd agree with that. I mean, they weren't before, but now it's not even requiring a workaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

What is Finch's rampage song?

I'm thinking maybe some more NIN, maybe Hand That Feeds.

• Locked thread