Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The episode felt a bit rushed, but I guess with the compressed schedule, they couldn't really let the tension build up. Compare this chase/hunt with Reese and Carter running from HR, and there was definitely more time to breathe and let it build up so that it seemed like the characters were actually in danger.

I liked the scene where Samaritan activated the civilian assets, though. There was a certain zombie movie vibe to it where these otherwise normal people all suddenly turned hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm just glad they sent Iris back to her home planet instead of fridging her. Although yeah, wow that was a super pointless plotline, but I guess it means that Zoe Morgan can flirt with John again.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Did this episode take place in the past? I thought Shaw showed up in S4 in one of Decima's vans. I forget the circumstances, but does it line up with the possibility that she's the one who sniped Elias and Dominic?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I think it's sorta interesting that Samaritan isn't necessarily vindictive, in that when its plan went sideways and the paper was released, it didn't vengeance kill Garvin and instead just kinda went, ah fuckit whatever. That poor Mary girl, though :( Fusco rallying the cops to find John was a great hell yeah moment, though.

Also, here is an investigative journalism podcast about the real life ShotSpotter that ShotSeeker was based on. I thought it was interesting: https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/guns-and-americas-murder-board/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The AI will merge and through some series of events we get Westworld.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I just hope Bruce's inevitable blaze of glory is half as badass as Anthony's was.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I wonder if the Bruce plot was cut short because of scheduling because that was like the opposite of a blaze of glory. Dude should have just stayed hidden :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm looking forward to seeing what Samaritan does with chemtrails.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I hope they don't end the series without mentioning how the precinct bowling team is doing now that Reese joined. That seems like the biggest loose thread right now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Elias deserved a better blaze of glory. Reese and Fusco should have investigated an absolute bloodbath of a hallway with Elias slumped dead at the end of it. For that matter, Root also deserved something better than getting sniped by Blackwell and then dying alone in a hospital. What is this, loving Game of Thrones? Major character deaths are supposed to actually mean something in my narrative, dammit.

In contrast, Carter's death was sudden and shocking but everything surrounding it, from the seemingly successful suicide mission she and Reese went on to the ringing of the phone (and especially the followup Hurt sequence goddamn that was some good television), made that scene absolutely work. It was tragic and horrible, but earned. Root and Elias just felt like they were checked off a list of loose ends the show needed to check off. The short season really made a few of these major plot episodes feel very rushed, since they didn't have the opportunity to lay down some groundwork for an emotional payoff.

In short, CBS :argh:

But yeah, welcome back Ben Linus, Jesus Christ.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was strange since last time we saw him he was questioning his assignments and he learned his employer is going full eugenics. He really didn't seem convinced by the speech he was getting.

Now he is ok with sniping people :shrug:

Do you not do what the voice inside your head says? Weird.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

What is Finch's rampage song?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I thought the line about The Machine seeing Root's death some 12000 times or whatever was pretty goddamn heartbreaking.

Fun fact, the "bank robber" is Amy Acker's real life husband, which would sort of explain why he's easy to get back on the show.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I thought Fusco was gonna be a boss and show that he broke his thumbs to get out of handcuffs again. Fusco still continues to be a boss, though. Reese's alt history was pretty goddamn :smith: though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Here is a Westworld trailer for some consolation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3u0IlBBO4

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I would watch Memento starring The Machine.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I hope to see you all again in the Westworld thread :unsmith:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

WarLocke posted:

1: Do you mean the movie or is it getting an adaptation?

2: If a new thing, is it going to actually be good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3u0IlBBO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Regarding deaths, I felt the same way about Elias. But, to be fair, there have really only been two good deaths - Carter and Anthony.

I would say Simmons had a good death, it just wasn't a glorious one. But it was right. I thought Aaron Burr getting unceremoniously shot in the back by Greer was pretty appropriate for how his arc turned out.

• Locked thread