Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Same time as before? (What time was that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I anticipate being home and ready to go at 5 PM EST. I'm supposed to get better internet service installed by tomorrow night but if that doesn't happen (you can never tell with Centurylink), my connection may be a little spotty

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sounds good, I'll use the remaining 47.5 hours remember how to Demon.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Basic Chunnel posted:

I anticipate being home and ready to go at 5 PM EST. I'm supposed to get better internet service installed by tomorrow night but if that doesn't happen (you can never tell with Centurylink), my connection may be a little spotty

I'll be there.

ZiegeDame posted:

Sounds good, I'll use the remaining 47.5 hours remember how to Demon.

Step 1: Locate something you dislike.
Step 2: Eat it.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Hey, I am totally down for more Robot Satan. I know I've been kinda MIA from being swamped lately, and I haven't had time to do an interlude for Pastor Ted - will I still be okay to play on Friday? Would it be possible to do a one-on-one after this session but before the next one?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sure!

One note for anyone reading thinking to GM a game - choose one repository for your notes. Depending on where I've been while thinking about the game I've used Evernote, Apple Notes, OneNote, e-mail drafts, and at least two paper notebooks. It makes it a little hard to organize.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Here's a little bit of setup to get us to the starting point we need tomorrow:

COMRADE WEST has contact the Cell (minuts Mr. Face) through secure means, indicating that your presence is requested, that there are "new unknowns at play".

West requests that you meet with him this afternoon at the last matinee showing of some some superhero movie in a Midtown multiplex, in the back row.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 9, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Btw if you feel like something's slipping or should be featured more readily in our sessions, lmk

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Honestly I feel like the slippiest thing that session was me. I'm probably gonna relax on the note-taking just because I get so tired towards the end of the session I can't keep up with that and what's actually going on.

One thing I will suggest is what I said on Friday; do a bit of improv prep. Something as simple as a list of names to pull from when we want to talk to a customer service rep or random auction patron is going to be helpful. It's even better if you can tie some ancilliary info into it. Just name, age, and a notable physical and personality trait goes a long way. Make a list something like:

"Jeanette Summers, 47, lazy eye, says 'dude' too much."
"Salazar Mancer, 245, full beard, history buff"

and when you need to, just pluck something that seems appropriate. Should be plenty of generators online that can help with this, too. Obviously you don't need to keep all the garbage that comes out of them, you can just copy-paste your favorites into a document.

In this particular case I'd also suggest doing something similar with the artefacts up for auction, because there is roughly a 100% chance someone is going to ask what else is on sale. I found a neat collection of object generators here: http://www.springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/itemgens.htm

It's got everything from random magical items to gems and uniodentified substances, most of which can be WoDified with little or no effort. Case in point:

"This chalky powder is vivid red and white in color. It smells like burned grass and gasoline."
"It's a book made of Bakelite. It's covered in translucent scales and looks quite new. It contains a mechanism that can release a deadly gas."
"This tubular key's design takes its inspiration from an eagle and is detailed primarily in dark colors. Its design is very intricate."

e: and since you like using visual aids (which is something I in turn like), you could also pair names with a picture instead of or in addition to the brief physical description

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh I've already got a few auction items thought up. I also found an A+++ flowcharting tool for Android and it's helping a lot with plotting the broad points of where we can go from here.

Last time I used a visual aid we couldn't get over the fact that our crooked detective looked exactly like Ron Perlman!! :(

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh I've already got a few auction items thought up. I also found an A+++ flowcharting tool for Android and it's helping a lot with plotting the broad points of where we can go from here.

Last time I used a visual aid we couldn't get over the fact that our crooked detective looked exactly like Ron Perlman!! :(

The trick is to use pictures of people who aren't immediately recognizable international celebrities :ssh:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

By the way, I should be okay to go at 5 or 5:30 EST today, so not long.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Possible bad news - a project meeting at my work has been rescheduled for 4:30 PM on Friday, we'll be getting into at 5:30 at the earliest.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Is everyone on for tonight?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Indeed, but 5:30 or 6 will be my availability due to work stuff

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Well poo poo one of our stroke treatment sites has gone down, if we can't get it sorted by remote I may have a night's drive ahead of me. I'll keep the thread updated.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Well poo poo one of our stroke treatment sites has gone down, if we can't get it sorted by remote I may have a night's drive ahead of me. I'll keep the thread updated.
Okay, crisis resolved, looks like I'll be good for 6. See you all then

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

For not moving the front story forward much at all last week was very eventful and I feel like my notes are incomplete - the sidestories were improv on my part so I didn't take great care to document things as they were happening. Here's what I recall:

- Query / Ray Merriman set up a bowling night with his best girl, but we haven't yet gotten to that scene.

- Fidelity / Evelyn Chase traded Broadway star Percy Watkins a hardy constitution in exchange for his one night stand with a theater producer, however Percy was insistent that she show to his production of Hello. Dolly! the night of the auction. Her interlock backfired on her and she is now obsessively in agreement. We'll say Broadway is a 5 minute cab ride from MOMA, where the auction is being held.

- Mr. White / Jonathan Maines accepted a job offer to straighten out a labor dispute in upstate NY as part of his cover. In-game day was Wednesday and it has to be resolved by Monday. The auction is on Friday night. Maines is also meant to confirm his attendance to the auction but that meeting hasn't happened yet.

- Mr. Face / Ted Brandt (?) was visited by a legbreaker who discouraged him from attending the auction under the auspices of his church. On his way out, the legbreaker's phone was hacked by Brandt but he didn't cover his tracks well enough / took too long to decrypt the phone data, and was confronted by the intruder again. Embeds were used and the intruder left without enacting violence, intending to try and smooth Pastor Ted's attendance with his bosses. The decrypted phone data included Ted's address and another address in the south Bronx.

Anything I'm missing?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Fidelity had a quick meeting with the BBC guy to discuss payment, but I think that's about it.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

That's about right. Not sure how the goon tracked Ted's digital intrusion - I'm guessing whomever knuckle-dragger reports to ordered him to check his phone's data activity before wiping, because that guy did not seem like the brains of the operation.

Oh, and for Ted's first Interlock, I think I know what I want to do. It's a synthesis of Muse and Shift Consequences, therefore:

quote:

Footsteps In The Sand
Pastor Ted is always with his congregation, even if only in spirit - or whatever occult computational construct passes for a demon's spirit. The devout are shielded by their faith, and pass unharmed where angels fear to tread*.

This Interlock allows Pastor Ted to protect the targets of Muse by activating Shift Consequences or other defensive Embeds on their behalf. He need not be consciously-aware that his charge is threatened, and indeed, gains no special knowledge of their circumstances beyond the applicability of defensive Embeds other than Shift Consequences. He must choose which to activate when the protection is triggered - he may activate Just Bruised or Cool Heads Prevail, but not both. A given subject of Muse may be protected a number of times equal to his Primum, after which they must be targeted by Muse again to receive further protection. Embeds other than Shift Consequences cost 1 Aether, and carry the same risk of Compromise as that Embed.

*Angels may or may not come with fear.exe pre-installed; please consult your model's operating manual for further details

Dicepool: as parent embed.

Action: Instant

What do you think, too good? Just right? Maybe strike the line about other defensive Embeds and restrict it to Shift Consequences only, or do the Aether cost and Compromise risk balance it out?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Time for tonight?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

Time for tonight?
Looks like same as last week, 5:30 to 8:30 EST.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Btw, did Fidelity and/or Query reveal to the group that they are/might be indisposed on the night of the auction?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Not that I'm aware of

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean my idea was sticking a living recorder on Cheryl and then showing up afterwards and pretending i was there all along. It's dirty but potentially effective???

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sour news for this week: After going out to the sticks for a gear demo, a lot of work has piled up at my job and it's gotta be done by tomorrow. It's busywork but I have to do it on-site, and it looks like our firewall blocks Roll20 as a "gaming site" (no blocking on SA, funnily enough - the network security guy's probably a goon). I won't be available until 7:30 EST at the earliest. Might have to skip a week :(

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Yeah, 7:30 is a bit late for me.

poo poo happens, see you next week.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I was hoping to avoid more field work this week but I'm currently scheduled to head out to the sticks again tomorrow - I think our rural clinicians like keeping us city folk on their toes, or else they just like working out test cases on Fridays for fun. I don't know when I'll be available tomorrow but I'm hoping to be home and online at 6 EST. Does that work for everyone?

Sorry for these disruptions, guys. Funnily enough the balance of my free hours have shifted over the last two weeks - used to be I got all my stuff locked, loaded and shot by Wednesday night and had plenty of time to prepare but these days my work is bunching up on the latter end of the work week. At the very least, I think there should be some downtime between tests tomorrow which should allow me to brush up on our session, since I've had less time than I'd have liked this week.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 14, 2016

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Well it's obviously not ideal, but I can do 6pm. See you then!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm sorry everyone, my boss just told me that he expects me to stay til after our clinician Q&A, which puts me in a whole different traffic bracket, I'll be in closer to 7 PM EST. I can still go, but I don't think it's fair to TF. I did, however, get a promise out of my boss to let me take next Friday off.

In the meantime, we're in the night prior to the auction and there are still leads to follow up on (the mouthy assassin, the storage facility, etc) that can easily be handled via PBP - info gathering and the like. I've actually been playing a bit of Dragon Age: Inquisition lately and I'm quite taken with their "war table" minigame and I've been mulling over the idea of making something similar for my TTRPG games. I could whip up something similar to that over the weekend, if people were open to the idea. Alternatively we could do some light, straight PBP for a week or just let the time pass.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Yeah, that's a little harsh.

I haven't played DA:I so I'm not at all familiar with this "war table" concept. Tell us what sort of thing you have in mind?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's sort of a simple board game concept - you're presented with different problems and are given three different approaches to tackling them (in DA:I, you get a diplomat, a general and a spymaster), the catch being that if you use one, that approach is unavailable for use in other conflicts for a certain period of time. Given the nature of PBP the time restraint would be changed to something else, but the core concept remains. Each member of the group would be a different piece in play.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Here's one, for example. Only one approach can be chosen, and each will bring their own rewards (or consequences), and may or may not provide further opportunity for intel:

The Opportunity posted:

The Bronx Storage Facility

The Cell has been pointed toward a specific location in the Bronx - Surebox, a sizable storage facility that appears to be related, somehow, to the upcoming secret auction. The neighborhood is primarily industrial, with a minimum of foot traffic - a good place to conduct clandestine operations of any sort. What its role is, and what the Cell may face there, is undetermined, but intel from Query's local snitch might indicate that security goes beyond rent-a-cops, and that they have itchy trigger fingers.

It's 5 PM on Thursday. There are just over 27 hours remaining before the auction is set to take place.

The Choices posted:

* Fidelity: If there's one thing the 24-hour party set in New York appreciates, it's cheap, plentiful and isolated space. With a few select texts, Fidelity can secure a lot for the night and direct a raucous pop-up celebration to spring up uncomfortably close to the storage facility. With strong enough party favors distributed to the attendants, facility security might be too swamped to notice a young woman engaged in recon.

* Mr. White: It's unlikely that whoever's occupying the facility is squatting - and if they're truly locking down the place, they've probably put quite a bit of money buying up more storage than they need. It's hard to make that kind of expenditure while staying anonymous, and it's sure to leave a paper trail that Mr. White's business contacts can sniff out.

* Query: It might take some doing, but Query can catch the murder case that his CI tipped him to. An anonymous tip (or an accomplice wearing someone else's face) could provide the impetus for a rushed warrant. Keep things above board and let's see how much these adversaries can accomplish with the bright light of the law upon them.

* Mr. Face: Open lots nearby (and zealous anti-camping enforcement downtown) mean tent towns, and the homeless see much and are seen little. A prime opportunity to distribute coats, soup, and inquiries.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

My life is great

Gonna try and shirk this onto my boss. Promises, and all

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
We need more problems that can be solved by summoning a rave.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Here's one, for example. Only one approach can be chosen, and each will bring their own rewards (or consequences), and may or may not provide further opportunity for intel:

I suggest Mr. Face. It's by far the most subtle option and if this has something to do with the auction, we probably don't want them smelling the cops, and we definitely don't want them catching Fidelity or Mr. White with their hands in the cookie jar.

ZiegeDame posted:

We need more problems that can be solved by summoning a rave.

I motion to make Fidelity's next interlock "Summon Rave".

Seriously. Connect Muse to Everybody Knows or something and gain the power to spawn a social gathering.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Are the other folks available to vote on this one? Obvs we won't have a whole sequence of them before our next meeting (at least if my boss keeps his word) but we can conceivably knock out the storage facility in PBP and leave us focused fully on the auction.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm ok with it being Mr. Face's thing, though Query did promise to look into the storage place he can do that while pretending to be a concerned Parishioner.

I'm also ok with Summon Rave. :toot:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I'd be more inclined to make it a custom Process for Demonic Form, complete with dubstep leitmotif BGM. Now, getting a bunch of socialites and celebrities together for your guest list on a moment's notice - THAT sounds like an Embed/Exploit.

Also yes I think a church benefit for the local homeless is the strongest angle here - not just for establishing pretext for our intel op, but because it will be REALLY hard for our enemies to gently caress with it without looking like monsters.

e: I mean, for G-M agents to gently caress with it, since they have to care about optics and keeping their own secrets. Reaganite Republicans might still be an issue :v:

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm fine with feed the poor investigation angle.

I'm also a bit offended that you think Fidelity needs an Embed to summon a party. That's what 50% of her merits are for.

• Locked thread