Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The game

Nelly Cootalot: the Fowl Fleet is a pirate and waterfowl themed adventure game by Alasdair Beckett-King - a UK comedian, film-maker and (most importantly) the creator of the previous game in the series, Nelly Cootalot, a game which I fell in love with on sight and let's played (feel free to check it out, though the game will quickly recap the basic plot in the intro sequence) .

The original had "cute" "cozy" and "sensibly funny" as its bywords, and the sequel is basically the same, only with three-dimensional characters (graphics, not writing) full voice acting (including some medical professional?) and something like action-setpieces (by adventure game standards).

The LP

I'm hoping to update every few days, and finish in a few weeks. Since the game is rather good about explaining its logic, and I haven't felt like I needed to contribute anything during the first few chapters, commentary is going to range between minimal and non-existent. This may change in the future.

Thread rules

This isn't exactly a plot-heavy game with major twists, but... don't spoil things we haven't seen yet, I guess. Feel free to contribute any regional humor - I've been given to understand that the audience will generally miss a few Northern-England specific references here and there.

Updates thus far: Prologue parts 1 and 2
Act 1 goals
The Great Game of the Sea
Getting the Privateer License
Getting a ship
The Fowl Fleet
Gloomhome
Ending + Bonus miscallenia

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prologue: parts 1 and 2

Prologue part 1

Prologue part 2

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Act 1: Goals

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This is going to be fun, I can't wait to watch when I have time this weekend.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Episode 4 - The Great Game of the Sea.

Time for a bit of commentary from yours truly. It's mostly tangential whining, so it goes here rather than into the video proper.

1. The game lags quite a bit. I try to pre-plan my clicks so that it's hidden, but trying to click on several things in rapid succession will send everything into a spiral of confusion. You may have noticed this during the folk-singer conversation - every time he stops or starts singing, there's a significant pause.

2. The Great Game of the Sea, aka Amputation, aka Operation. I hate it so. goddamn. much. It's an abject lesson about how to NOT design minigames.

There are no instructions. You have to remove each piece slowwwwwwly, straight upwards, and with no movement to the sides. This is intuitive, but not obvious - so when the game buzzes for no reason, you're not sure whether an errant twitch had betrayed you, or you've misunderstood what you're supposed to do.

Since the AI moves first, you need it to make a mistake in order to win (a draw is insufficient). Said mistake is by no means inevitable. You can (I have) play a perfect game, yet end up with a draw (forcing you to retry, and losing you the "win on the first try" achievement).

There's no option to finish the game when one side scores 4, even though its decided at that point.

Switching Van-Zandt's device ensures that he gets buzzed every single time, but doesn't eliminate buzzes for you. You are now in a game that you cannot possibly lose, but do not automatically win. In fact, some players are afflicted by a bug in which both sides get buzzed the moment either touches a piece, making the game unwinnable.

In short - fuuuuuuuuuuuck this minigame.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Episode 5 - getting the Privateer license.

This video is a bit longer than usual, to make up for the Great Game video falling short.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Episode 6 - Restoring Lear's memory / setting sail

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Episode 7 - The Fowl Fleet

In which we clear our name using the villain's sheer unadulterated imbecility, and deal with the titular Fowl Fleet via a short series of annoying minigames.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Episode 8 - Gloomhome.

Yeah, did anyone assume we'd have an actual flying ship adventure with our new crew as we tracked down the baron / found Gloomhome? Nah, the cutscene in which the ariship lifted off was pretty much the last we'll see of any of those guys.

This game feels like a lot of planned content was cut. Like how brief the whole Fowl Fleet resolution is, how the game doesn't really have an act 2, and how the ending... well, we'll get to the ending next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Episode 9 - The ending.

I'd say the ending was a bit.. abbreviated. Certainly could have been more interesting. Still, stick around for the ending credits - they feature my name in the backers list, and a theme song that's adorably on the nose.

Bonus video

I think I've shown off most everything the game had to offer. The only major exceptions I could think of were How Fat's moods under the influence of different candles (above), and helping different toffs win the races (needed for an achievement, but there's no actual dialogue of note).

Last but not least: A rare developer contribution. The Nelly poses from the credits of the original game in great resolution and with no obscuring text. Kinda want to make an avatar out of some of these.

Hope those of you who followed along enjoyed the LP and / or bought the game as a result. See you on the next LP, which will probably feature quite a bit more commentary.

• Locked thread