Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
did folding@home accomplish anything meaningful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

no

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it generates some laughs when comparing its lifetime usage to buttcoin and what that says about the world

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

remember when people would join folding@home or SETI teams and put stats in their sigs

remember when idiots would get fired for installing folding/SETI clients on work computers

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

SO DEMANDING posted:

remember when people would join folding@home or SETI teams and put stats in their sigs

yes

SO DEMANDING posted:

remember when idiots would get fired for installing folding/SETI clients on work computers

yes :mad:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

hell yeah let me see all them ets

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

it made my laundry nice and tidy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it generates some laughs when comparing its lifetime usage to buttcoin and what that says about the world

lol has anyone calculated this out

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lol were you fired or did you have to fire someone

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

mishaq posted:

lol has anyone calculated this out

I'm also interested in this

go humans go

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=distributed+folding+protein&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=distributed+AND+folding+AND+protein

didn't care to spend more time working on better search terms but yeah it looks like it didn't amount to all that much

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i would totally download a screensaver that looks like folding@home or SETI@home

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
yes op all the proteins have been folded and now we need to figure out how to put them back how they were

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

SO DEMANDING posted:

lol were you fired or did you have to fire someone

worked with someone who got canned

his workload became mine, starting with removing that poo poo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

...like what do you even get fired for, idgi

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Iridium posted:

worked with someone who got canned

his workload became mine, starting with removing that poo poo.

whew, otherwise you would have had to look for all those its on your own

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

depending on the timeframe nothing, but if it was recent maybe the electrical waste of running otherwise dormant machines for a third party network at full power all day

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

a few things came into play there, back in those halcyon days of the early 00s.

nobody noticed at first that it was installed on a couple dozen hugely overburdened Windows 2000 shared web servers, which were already being crushed under the weight of ~200 websites hosting the garbage code of a fleet of amateur old school ASP web devs.

but then he installed it on some of the dedicated servers for the clients who paid a ridiculous rate to our fly by night web hosting op to host their scrub tier site segregated from all the shared hosting plan unwashed masses. a few of those folks had demanded (and been granted, because what do we care) RDP admin access to their own servers. and one of them noticed this SETI poo poo in task manager diverting precious resources from their 12 page web site.

and when they called to complain management actually listened, because it's not like they had any actual vision for a widespread corporate strategy. they just did whatever they could to scrape that money out of people, and to keep those people happy. Including the one that would call up, admit he was drunk, and hit on another of my coworkers regularly cuz he thought she sounded sexy.

but dude complained, management polled us all as to what it was, dude owned up, etc. i grumble, but it distracted from the fact that i was running a BT client on our phat pipe at the time and playing Half Life literally 6 of the 8 hours i worked on second shift every day.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jfc computer janitors

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

GameCube posted:

jfc computer janitors

yeah, good times.

fun fact our overall master admin password when i started there was "elite"

then a main admin left and they decided to protect it by reversing it to "etile".

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SO DEMANDING posted:

would

past tense

tee hee

no seriously get that poo poo off my network

e: if you make me explain to an old person what bitcoins are i think i should receive all of your saved vacation time as punishment/payment

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
when has anything that required the small, collective, effortless input of the masses every amounted to anything

but enough about the forums

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

flakeloaf posted:

would

past tense

tee hee

no seriously get that poo poo off my network

e: if you make me explain to an old person what bitcoins are i think i should receive all of your saved vacation time as punishment/payment

lol at the loving probe

praise be to chome :chome:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Folding@home is just as useless as the rest of the Internet. Sorry OP.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Virion posted:

depending on the timeframe nothing, but if it was recent maybe the electrical waste of running otherwise dormant machines for a third party network at full power all day

just run it in the cloud if you're concerned about electrical waste

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

flakeloaf posted:

pretty sure rotor knows what bit coins are bro

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm going to find the biggest mersenne prime and you guys will be so jealous

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Iridium posted:

but then he installed it on some of the dedicated servers for the clients who paid a ridiculous rate to our fly by night web hosting op to host their scrub tier site segregated from all the shared hosting plan unwashed masses. a few of those folks had demanded (and been granted, because what do we care) RDP admin access to their own servers. and one of them noticed this SETI poo poo in task manager diverting precious resources from their 12 page web site.

you should be fired just for being dumb enough to pull this stunt

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

what's the hierarchy of say seti vs distributed.net folding@home I forget what else , world community grid projects was the last one I looked at

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol you could install it on a ps3

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the yeti posted:

what's the hierarchy of say seti vs distributed.net folding@home I forget what else , world community grid projects was the last one I looked at

I used to run wcg for clean water (somehow) during winter because my room was always really cold. I think most people run that stuff just because you get some numbers and those numbers go up

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

seti is about on the same level as mining bitcoins

all the others at least do something useful, even if only vaguely

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, i ran folding@home on my frankenputer that i hacked together from a bunch of dumpstered towers the local bank threw out back when i was a little goonlet and couldnt figure out why my room was so loving hot all the time.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I ran it on my PS3 for awhile, cause it's not like I could do anything else with it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it turned me into a huge loving nerd so yeah

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it came preinstalled on launch ps3s

i wish i could have been in the meeting where that was decided

i couldn't have understood the meeting because it would have been in japanese

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I saw a Reddit thread for this a while ago and it's been cited in a whole lot of medical papers I guess?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

F@H basically invented GPGPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and https://folding.stanford.edu/home/papers is a lot of papers

• Locked thread