Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol, i ran folding@home on my frankenputer that i hacked together from a bunch of dumpstered towers the local bank threw out back when i was a little goonlet and couldnt figure out why my room was so loving hot all the time.

http://www.belial.pt/permanent-brain-damage-from-bitcoin-mining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

just wait until we get that optimal goloumb ruler, it will change everything !

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
fold proteins? pssh, I loving CRUSH proteins into my maw

~*flexes pectoral muscles to the tune of CANYON.MID*~

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
remember beowulf clusters

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
if you made a grendel cluster it would be missing an ARM

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just how ensconced in your hovel cave must you be for that to even begin to be a possibility. for some reason i thought that guy lived in a home by himself but with other people there that story is just sadder than i remember. i mean i felt like a huge nerd for running SETI@home on a few towers, but even i knew better to turn them off when it got hot rather than slow roast my brain

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Silver Alicorn posted:

:golfclap:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
f@h is actually really successful and turns out like 12 papers a year and revealed a couple potential treatments for alzheimers that are undergoing development and they're currently tackling heat shock proteins and other poo poo that's involved with cancer soooo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Silver Alicorn posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

f@h is actually really successful and turns out like 12 papers a year and revealed a couple potential treatments for alzheimers that are undergoing development and they're currently tackling heat shock proteins and other poo poo that's involved with cancer soooo

Acknowledging that ruins my internet nihilist persona.

Apr 7, 2003

I participate in farting@home.

*fart*

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

i remember slashdot making "jokes" about them all the time but i never actually bothered to find out what they were

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

I wonder if the one they built one summer in a closet at my old college is still running.
I think I remember doing one project with it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
folding@chome.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

folding@:mome:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

kool

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Moist von Lipwig posted:

so more useful than buttcoin then

cool

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

akadajet posted:

i remember slashdot making "jokes" about them all the time but i never actually bothered to find out what they were

I'm thankful I wasn't the first person to admit this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
babby's first message passing, basically

it was clunky as poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

babby's first message passing, basically

it was clunky as poo poo

Which was weird because poo poo like DECnet (VMS clusters) had been around since the seventies, they weren't breaking new ground.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

Which was weird because poo poo like DECnet (VMS clusters) had been around since the seventies, they weren't breaking new ground.

you know those people who are like "you put pastrami in a burrito!?!?!?!" or "korean tacos? amazing!" in the late 90s people like that were equally amazed by being able to do "big computer" things on commodity hardware

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Hed posted:

fold proteins? pssh, I loving CRUSH proteins into my maw

~*flexes pectoral muscles to the tune of CANYON.MID*~

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

you know those people who are like "you put pastrami in a burrito!?!?!?!" or "korean tacos? amazing!" in the late 90s people like that were equally amazed by being able to do "big computer" things on commodity hardware

pastrami on a burrito. thats loving brilliant.

Apr 7, 2003

Pastramarito.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dilburrito.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Iridium posted:

a few things came into play there, back in those halcyon days of the early 00s.

nobody noticed at first that it was installed on a couple dozen hugely overburdened Windows 2000 shared web servers, which were already being crushed under the weight of ~200 websites hosting the garbage code of a fleet of amateur old school ASP web devs.

but then he installed it on some of the dedicated servers for the clients who paid a ridiculous rate to our fly by night web hosting op to host their scrub tier site segregated from all the shared hosting plan unwashed masses. a few of those folks had demanded (and been granted, because what do we care) RDP admin access to their own servers. and one of them noticed this SETI poo poo in task manager diverting precious resources from their 12 page web site.

and when they called to complain management actually listened, because it's not like they had any actual vision for a widespread corporate strategy. they just did whatever they could to scrape that money out of people, and to keep those people happy. Including the one that would call up, admit he was drunk, and hit on another of my coworkers regularly cuz he thought she sounded sexy.

but dude complained, management polled us all as to what it was, dude owned up, etc. i grumble, but it distracted from the fact that i was running a BT client on our phat pipe at the time and playing Half Life literally 6 of the 8 hours i worked on second shift every day.
lol

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Citizen Tayne posted:

I participate in farting@home.

*fart*
One day, when I was sleeping (yes, I sometimes sleep in the day due to being up very late at night/early in the morning), it got very smelly. And I still didn’t have the AC unit installed in my room, and my 4 farting rigs were still farting buttcoins (I left them on 24/7), generating lots of gas. It was extremely stinky. I eventually woke up due to the smell, but it was already too late. I had a terrible suffocation, and it was quite frightening and disorienting. I not only felt physically terrible, having trouble breathing and terrible nausea, but I was also mentally and emotionally confused and saw all sorts of unpleasant hallucinations (but after doing some googling, apparently that’s normal for people who have methane poisoning).

I eventually staggered out of my room, which took quite a lot of effort, and my parents saw that I wasn’t doing too well and then realized I needed medical attention. They rushed me to the ER, and at this point I was barely conscious so I don’t remember everything, but they put an oxygen mask on me. I have no idea how long it lasted, because every second felt like an hour. It was terrible. After I was in a stable condition, they did some general check-up stuff to make sure that I didn’t have any organ damage or something, and I told them that my head felt awful, so they did either a CT scan or MRI scan (I forget which is which, but it was some scan or another of my head), and said I basically had minor brain damage (they used a fancier term for it, but I forgot exactly what it was… but it was basically just minor permanent brain damage). I don’t notice much of a difference in my ability to think… it’s not as if I’m mentally retarded or anything now, but even so, no brain damage is good.

:vince:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

sushi burritos are the new hotness

i've never heard anything good about them as anything more than a novelty

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

atomicthumbs posted:

In college I took a class from and briefly worked for "co creator" of the beowulf cluster. I know he was the co-creator because he frequently reminded me and everyone there of that fact.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

sushi burritos are the new hotness

i've never heard anything good about them as anything more than a novelty

there's a place across the street from my work and there's a line out the door every day

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Wow cool 565 byte gif

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My windows phone is crawling over here!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

My windows phone is crawling over here!

Wow, sounds like I made a mistake in posting that GIF. Sorry!

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

i did this in 2002, and my friend shared my account for combined credit with either hard ocp or ars, I don't recall. months later I found out he was moving from computer to computer in our campus libraries and computer labs and would install folding@home but rename it as the antivirus program...and leave antivirus disabled. I wrapped the semester and then went on my required yet feared Mormon mission so I don't know what happened w/ the big virus outbreak they must have experienced, but when I returned and resumed schooling at the main campus nobody expelled or arrested me. my friend and I drifted apart after that and I last saw him nearly ten years ago at my wedding when he made a polite appearance.

that's my folding story please like comment and subscribe

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

remember when the google toolbar had folding@home in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

remember when toolbars were a thing

yeah :rip:

• Locked thread