Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Welcome back!

Last time... things didn't go so well.

Kwehry doesn't answer.

: ... What's up Kwehry?

And Cid just barges in and exposits in the form of a question.

: Who are you, man?

: Let's just forget about that fer now pardner.

: That Bahamut fella came to see me... Says the monster he was talking about was the one who kidnapped the little lady.

Cid takes exactly zero poo poo from Bahamut.

: He even had time to point me in the right direction: Snow Mountain. It's up ahead in the cavern.

: Hah! Serves her right. She deserved it.

Cid also takes zero poo poo from Mrs. Bomb, but in a more respectful manner. :v:

: Of all people, you should know that little lady isn't like that.

: Just what are you trying to say?

: Nevermind ma'am.

: So Kwehry, yer goin' too right, little fella?

: It's gonna be a hard trip through the forest and mountains. Ya still wanna go?

: I'll wait over yonder, outside the village near the forest entrance.

And he heads off. But before Kwehry joins him, we need to prepare. Which includes a nap, of course.

It's been so long since I've used the regular save for this game, I forgot it handled multiple files.

Anyway, the forest is just north of town, and our ultimate destination is that ominous-looking spiky mountain in the background.

... And no, the text boxes don't look any different. It's not like I switched to a more accurate emulator at this point into the update. Don't be absurd.

So, here's the forest. The music is just some ambient noises not included on the OST. Off to the left, our first new enemy is visible.

Mamons drop gil sometimes. That is the most interesting fact about them.

Worms, though...

Worms can put their targets to sleep with their ranged spit attack. It's pretty nasty.

What makes them particularly notable, though, is their essence. We'll talk about that later, though.

Malboros are also found here. This one drops his Calm Saddle, which is polite of him.

First things first, though. We add silence resist to our increasingly-ridiculous saddle.

And then we combine it with that Earth Saddle from way back when.

Worm Essence is great. It not only acts as a Merge Seed, which combines elements instead of overwriting them, but also boosts the bonus by one. Our saddle is now only missing two elements and two statuses. The statuses we can take care of very shortly, but holy and lightning can't be added via essences.

Which, now that I think of it, is probably intentional on account of every boss being weak to one of those two.

We've completed the Restaurant LeTonberry sidequest. Our final reward, after the Dragon Essence?

A jukebox that plays a selection of music. Most of them are pretty obvious. "The Quest for Items" being Riposte's theme, "Within Tenderness" being Dagger's, and "Cid! Cid!" being Cid's.

They did slip in a subtle pun here, though. "Doom is my Rival" isn't the frantic piano piece that plays when Doom is chasing you. Instead, it's Chubby Chocobo's theme. Y'know, the only other shopkeeper in the game.

Back at the tree, we get a Merge Seed. Also known as the boring half of a Worm Essence.

Back in the Behemoth household, it looks like Ben's wife has finally returned.

Yeah, his wife walked out on him, and his response was to abandon his only child and go hang around a statue wondering what "earthy" smells like.

Back in the dungeon for a bit. Hmm. Those claws are kind of expensive.

Good thing we have Earth on our existing claws.

There. That wall is looking a lot less solid, now.

Tunneling using your main fighting claws is usually a bad idea, since it chews through the durability like crazy. But it'll be worth it.

The game does stop you and make you close a dialog prompt before you leave the store. Why?

This is a Roguelike. Shoplifting is a very Bad Idea.

The track is appropriately titled, since it only plays when one particular enemy is on the map.

What, you thought the literal embodiment of the concept of death would play fair?

As if one wasn't bad enough, every enemy on the map is transformed into one of these guys. Including all the dead ones.

And before you get any cute ideas, trying to use a Teleport Tag just results in him saying "I see..." and nothing happening.

The one saving grace you have is that all flavors of Doom require several turns to charge up their attack.

Not that that makes it easy to avoid them or anything.

Still, with a bit of preparation and luck, escape is possible.

Poor Cid got one-shot, though.

The exit is in sight! Taking the stairs is the only way to escape once Life Keeper is after you.

See you later, shitlords!

Once you've left the floor, there's nothing stopping you from teleporting out as normal. Or continuing on, if you feel like it.

But that'll be it for this update. See you next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread