Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This looks like fun. I'll bring the poutine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King Burgundy posted:

Hi, I'm a boring VT.

I know D1 is silly, but why are people still doing this?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Amoeba102 posted:

Because they are scum, either in game or in real life. In game, they want to fake disinterest. In real life, they join games not to play mafia but to get night actions and do whacky stuff.

In real life, I try to con the loudmouthed rear end in a top hat into being the Werewolf mod so I don't need to deal with their hubris.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King Burgundy posted:

I don't think I'd need a power in RL mafia. Then you can actually read people's tells and such. It's less of a crap shoot.

Disagree. In my experience, it's a few minutes of dilly-dallying, the moderator getting mad and threatening no-lynch, and then a sudden irrational turbo, usually against whoever tends to get turboed for no particularly good reason.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Disagree. In my experience, it's a few minutes of dilly-dallying, the moderator getting mad and threatening no-lynch, and then a sudden irrational turbo, usually against whoever tends to get turboed for no particularly good reason.

D1 at least. Then scum/wolves start smirking. You can also hear them shuffling to point at people if they're particularly bad at it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Max posted:

If I ever mod RL games I make lots of noise during the night phase to prevent this.

If I've learned one thing from RL games, it's that goons from the internet set it to hard mode.

:glomp:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Amoeba102 posted:

People I play with are generally discrete enough to not let noise give them away and poo poo like that. And they don't take it that serious or anything.

It got bad enough that the usual mod had to be clear that any rustling or shifting or sounds over the night were legitimate scumtells/hints/points of discussion.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King Burgundy posted:

I still need to try that.

It's the same but different. It's a lot easier to hit with deductive reasoning, and as bad guy it's a lot easier to keep a straight face.

To that end, I highly recommend Secret Hitler. It's like Resistance, just a bit more fluid.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah the lack of player elimination makes the Resistance better for real life play. If the group is way too big, maybe go for 2 rooms and a boom. If the group is small, well play a proper boardgame.

Secret Hitler didn't seem to do much more of interest to me, when reading over it. It seems like one of those dull edge games. Yeah let's add Hitler. Whacky! It made me skeptical from the start so I may not have a unbiased opinion. Other dull edge games being CaH and Exploding kittens.

I've not played CaH nor Exploding Kittens, but what I like about Secret Hitler is that...Hitler is secret. Both factions are trying to suss out who it is, and I've seen fascists lose for pinging the incorrect Hitler at the end, even though Hitler has been on their side the whole time.

I also like that it has a couple of rounds of, here's a wrench into the game. With resistance it's just, town/good-guys can't afford to pass too many times. With Secret Hitler, a policy is necessarily passed each round, and on certain rounds Stuff Happens.

I can see why one might be skeptical at the concept, but I'd strongly encourage playing! Each game takes about a half-hour, and you could even do it with a standard deck of cards. I have about half the game from a picture of the round order on a whiteboard, but if you (this thread) want(s), I can ask my friend for how to organize and distribute the cards.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Propaganda Machine posted:

I've not played CaH nor Exploding Kittens, but what I like about Secret Hitler is that...Hitler is secret. Both factions are trying to suss out who it is, and I've seen fascists lose for pinging the incorrect Hitler at the end, even though Hitler has been on their side the whole time.

I also like that it has a couple of rounds of, here's a wrench into the game. With resistance it's just, town/good-guys can't afford to pass too many times. With Secret Hitler, a policy is necessarily passed each round, and on certain rounds Stuff Happens.

I can see why one might be skeptical at the concept, but I'd strongly encourage playing! Each game takes about a half-hour, and you could even do it with a standard deck of cards. I have about half the game from a picture of the round order on a whiteboard, but if you (this thread) want(s), I can ask my friend for how to organize and distribute the cards.

Wait, is CaH...Cards Against Humanity? Am I making this up?

Totally different. Not even comparable.

If not, what is it?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kashuno posted:

never played CaH? ##vote PM

Cool story, bro.

SirSamVimes posted:

Cards Against Humanity is good and fun.

Truth!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Amoeba102 posted:

Prop confirmed town.

also PM is the acronym for PoisonedMushroom.

See also: PinterestMom

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
For whatever it's worth, I think a masonry could be useful to suss out thoughts and arguments away from public view. If it's unconfirmed, a town mason could pick up on things.

I mean, I'm not about to vote on bullshit D1 claims, but I don't think masons are as useless as people make them out to be.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That said, the one mason doc I ever had that was worth anything had, like, ten masons in a twenty-five player game.

I still think a good mason could be a good mason. There's no reason to out it. Sure, alignment is unconfirmed, but what is confirmed is that you get to bro out beyond public view.

You shouldn't out that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wow, that was some fun bedtime reading.

I guess I'll vote PMush if we're coming up on deadline, but I don't want to. She is dangerous scum, but she's also very helpful town, and on balance, especially on D1....

Yeah, I don't want to vote her if we can find literally anything else, for now. If there are legit scum reads on her tomorrow then by all means.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
drat, make one questionable post and everyone's after me. Yeesh.

This is a more interesting D1 than usual so I guess that's good. And when I flip town you'll have a lot to go on.

I'd rather not flip, though. I'm sure somebody will think this post sucks, too, and it'll be hammertime.

Still gotta try. I'll self-hammer if I get to -1, but for now I'm going with my gut, and the argumentation for, well, not-me:

##vote TMM

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Quidnose posted:

PMach, can yoooooouuuu post some reads and do some game analysis or something? You've made like 2 content posts and I don't like either of them.

Sure.

I don't really like PMush coming off the heels of my bad post. Here's why:

Poison Mushroom posted:

I mean, that PMach post was really :unsmith: and made me feel good about myself (someone else remembers Zodiac Mafia :toot:), but what?

I think it would have felt more real if there'd been a "when she doesn't lurk" caveat or something. But without even that it honestly feels fake.

##vote PMach

Thank you for the compliment, though.

This is...an odd reaction to that post. I can't put my finger on it. It just feels discombobulated and bizarre. Of all the votes thrown my way, I understand this one the least.

It strikes me as doubly weird because the rest of her posts are coherent and reasonable.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I gotta comment on this.

KingB, you've been giving me pings since literally your first post. Your confirmation was incredibly self conscious, you've been doing a lot of me-too-ing, and now you're nudging forth a lurker vote in its own post with two days to go.

On their own, none of these is too bad, but together, plus my gut, I don't like it at all. Which is a shame because you're a blast to play games with.

Would still vote KingB.

Okay, I guess this is low-content shade, but it's more than she had to say about me. It also strikes me that when she's reading people, she throws a compliment in? I'm not sure if it means anything, but it's a pattern.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I mean, intellectually, I agree with you, B, and I'd vote a lurker to avoid a no-vote, but it seems a weird time to bring it up. Votes for people who are here flying every which way, and you bring up someone who isn't here, and even you admit there's still two days before Hal's absence becomes relevant. It feels like a distraction.

This is the last post of hers that feels like anything at all. I took a look at the context, and it's following KB doing a fair bit of analysis. It's mafia-lawyering without much substance, not unlike her reaction to me. Maybe that's just her style?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also what the gently caress B. "I'm not going to discuss an ongoing game but here's me discussing an ongoing game".

Might be her style. But she's really focusing in on KB when there are a few people worth looking at. People with votes on them, even. What's worse, KB has given her a lot of content to work with, and all she comes up with is a lazy "gotcha!"

For somebody who's down with lynching lurkers, she's basically just showing up and saying things for the sake of it. It's kind of better than fully lurking, but not by much.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Poison Mushroom posted:

PMach, in a vacuum, that's a really productive and constructive read.

But I'm pretty sure it's bullshit.

This line in particular encapsulates my issue. You compliment my play as town, but in this read of me, you act like you don't really know my style very well. That bugs me, because if you don't know my play, why were you complimenting it?

It's been a while. I think the last time I played with you was...fall 2014? I know that's oddly specific, I just remember that game for some reason.

I complimented your play prior to everything I just quoted. Also, per Quidnose's request, I just didn't see much worth commenting on elsewhere, with the exception of TMM who had already been cased to hell and back, and hell, you said it yourself: it's productive and constructive.

For what it's worth, I'm happy leaving my vote on TMM. If the cases that had already been made hadn't been convincing enough, that rant sure as hell did the trick. I like how his longest-yet paragraph in the game is defending the hell out of his bad post, and the next, longer paragraph, is calling everybody's votes bad. It'd be cool to see him make a case. I mean...

TMMadman posted:

Oh wait, I meant to do this:

##vote Amoeba

Since that is probably the worst vote on me and they haven't given a single read other than what I'm assuming is a joking 'Oh Jake is confirmed town because he likes CaH' read.

But...that's...not a read...

:psyduck:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well gently caress. So much for that. -2's probably the best time to claim.

I'm the SK.

I...

...uh....

:stare:

...wow.

##vote PMush

:redhammer:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I still don't feel great about TMM. He didn't reappear after his rant. If it was genuine I can understand how poo poo happening in real life could fuel something like that, but it doesn't excuse his prior posting.

Regardless, I've never seen a D1 that productive. D1 usually annoys me, but not only was there good discussion, we nailed an anti-town lynch. Good job, everyone!

Oh, speaking of real life, I'm going to be busy with family this weekend. I'll try to check in with the thread in the mornings and before bed and hopefully post, but if I seem quiet, that's why.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At least wait for -1 for chrissake, but I don't understand why an SK would claim at all, ever.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So. TMM's meltdown of a defense yesterday. Reread it and please give me any redeeming qualities it had.

It's full of weak argumentation and petty namecalling and, of course, doesn't address any of the points against him. He straight up ignores them; his defense is that his scummy post wasn't saying anything, which is even worse imo. A couple of things do really stick out, though.

TMMadman posted:

You all know full well if I want to loving call someone scummy, I'm not going to hesitate to do it, as evidenced by the disgustingly loving scummy post that PMach made that was rightly jumped on. It was way worse than PMush's post and thus deserved me calling it scummy instead of just saying that I don't care for the comment.

It's not that I care about being called out. What I do care about is it's the strongest argument in that entire paragraph. Ending with it gives his defense an air of righteousness.

And, of course, his lovely vote. He all but says it's just an OMGUS, but he also names myself and kash. Again, I don't care about a threat to vote against me. I care about really, really weak hedging against two people against whom there's traction. Not that he substantiates it, or anything.

I think he got really, really lucky with his timing alongside the thread's turn against PMush. For such a long post in which he drops a ton of f-bombs and doesn't say much, it managed to slip under the radar.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

Are you saying that Kash had traction on him yesterday? Because that's just making poo poo up. The only vote Kash had against him yesterday is my joke vote from early in the game.

Fair enough.

quote:

And I didn't slip under the radar, I told everyone exactly what I was doing on Thursday night: playing games because I was irritated at my day (not just the thread) and needed to relax. Then I ended up being extremely busy during the day and just didn't have the time to keep up with the thread and when I finally did get a chance PMush had already been hammered.

That's not even remotely what I meant. Your horrible post evaded any sort of real scrutiny. You still haven't responded to any salient point, just the one questionable thing I said about kash. Nothing about the lack of a real response to the cases against you. Nothing about the weak-rear end hedge, since you said nothing about the traction against me.

I'm satisfied.

##vote TMM

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

There was one case against me and it was by KB, the rest of it just piled on and I called out those votes as crap. The fact that you labeled one of my votes an OMGUS when there were 5 people voting me is just stupid. Ameoba dropped a terrible bandwagon vote on me and I thought it was the scummiest of the bunch.

So you skipped Quidnose's points. Got it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JakeP posted:

well for one thing half of your game has been calling peoples votes bad whenever someone gets more than a couple votes (including on pmush who flipped non-scum), and I think you are scum trying to throw shade on people who are on the wrong side of mislynches. The defaulting to jester is such a scum tell

This is also a good point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Quidnose posted:

I am inclined to agree with Amoeba and Hal coming in with zero content other than to call out Amoeba is pretty "scum lurking Hal" meta, imo

I don't want to vote on meta, though I'll agree that it's odd that Hal quips against somebody who's arguing against the one guy making an actual case on him.

I don't love the case. It's a bit flimsy and selectively ignores some content, but whatever. It's curious that Hal's being glib instead of shooting it down.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kashuno posted:

Tmm make lovely vote bothers me but seem town Idk man

Wait, but why?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
TMM at least went after Hal thoughtfully, and you pulled a lynch-lurkers when we have a fair bit to go on with actual substance.

Also, weekend.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kashuno posted:

also like I said I have exactly 0 reads on this game. Like none.

Please explain to me why TMM is giving you town vibes. Please also talk about what Quidnose had to say on D1.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Hal Incandenza posted:

TMM and Kash are coming off like they are scum bros right now who are flailing about to try and find somewhere to push the momentum off of Kash and aren't finding good options (or they are just being lazy about it)

I mean TMM said more but it wasn't all that much more compelling than kashs lurker vote.

Seriously, do scum ever actually "congratulate" themselves in the thread for lynching scum/third party or is that a convenient excuse to use when you are trying to generate a fake case? I find it is the latter.

I'm you want to go after a poster who's small amount of content is actually scummy go after SSV

:agreed:

Particularly, that's a non-lurk kind of post. I agree about SSV as well, I'd like to hear more from him.

Kash, going to OP, clicking links, and reading through 1-2 pages of a couple of posters really isn't that hard, especially if, you know, you wanna play this thing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Why do you think Quid is scum? That was a content-free accusation.

You also didn't say jack about TMM. He's been arousing consistent suspicion.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I agree with the first point, I guess, but he's driving discussion at least. As for the second, I'll just point out that people jumped on bad post, but just as quickly jumped onto actual cases. Note KB's point about my consistently strange D1s.

But...well, given that first point, you had a strange back-and-forth with and regarding TMM on D1, and you neglected to vote for him at all at any point as well.

I don't like reading or voting on meta for various reasons, but I don't understand why a combatitive TMM means town. It felt to me like he was neglecting to drive suspicion elsewhere because he couldn't find anything good, and that means... well.

Thoughts?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

First of all, Kash and I would never hesitate to bus each other if we were scum together.

TMM, master of timing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kashuno posted:

"Driving discussion" is not a town tell so I don't know why you would even feel like that's worth mentioning. After all, my made up role drove discussion but here we are.

It's not necessarily a town tell, but it's something worth a hint of scrutiny. After all, driving discussion could hint at alignment. He made that case against TMM and co., but voted on me anyway.

quote:

Also, TMM (for meta reasons) tends to be a player who is highly defensive, and hunts for scum among those that accuse him.

But in that D1 angrypost, he wasn't scumhunting in the callouts against him. He was just calling people morons. It's meaningless shade.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

This is complete bullshit because I said KB had a legitimate vote even though I thought it was bad and then I directly accused and voted for Amoeba because I felt it was the worst vote.

Stop trying to twist things to fit your tunneled view of me as scum.

Fine. Let's look at this more closely.

TMMadman posted:

SSV - I'm assuming a joke vote, so don't care, but it's ultimately stupid because of all the dumb PRs people have done adding 'eh?' the end of a sentence is like the mildest one ever.

I actually thought the point about the forced jokephase post-jokephase was decent D1. I mean, why the hell mafia-edit to add an 'eh?'

quote:

KB - a legitimate vote, but I still think it's dumb.

Yes, you reiterated this, but never said why you thought it was bad. Meaningless shade.

Also, he defended me and cased the poo poo out of you. Then he got whacked on N1. Huh.

quote:

Amoeba - a terrible vote that reeks of bandwagoning especially considering that he hasn't posted any actual reads

Amoeba102 posted:

##vote TMMadman

He's spent too long awkwardly joking, with all the ehs and joke voting Hal. He defensive about his lovely posting and didn't really convince me that he was genuine.

I skimmed a bit but TMM really stood out.

Backing up the SSV read, which again, I think is very valid D1 stuff. Interestingly, he thinks you're scum for the same reason Kash thinks you're town. It's still a decent point, and you haven't addressed the rabid defensiveness in lieu of, you know, valid arguments.

quote:

PMach - another terrible loving vote because instead of actually trying to case anyone, it's essentially a 'Well, I have to vote for someone not me' which would be fine if there wasn't much time left in the day but not when there is still 2 days left before deadline

Having two days until deadline is a bullshit reason to call out a vote. Also...

I'm skimming on the quick so I'm not finding the precise quote, but somebody did note that I put my vote on you having acknowledged that I had nothing to add to your case thus far, but agreed with everything that had been said. Still do.

quote:

JakeP - a vote made on mostly meta info, so it's a pretty terrible vote imo.

D1. Backs up KB's gutread. Again, KB got nightkilled.

This isn't cherrypicking. I think you're scum.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kashuno posted:

Also there have been tons of games where I've been scum and "drive discussion," even making cases on scum, so that's not really a tell at all.

Still doesn't explain why you're so unwilling to look into it. Being lazy is an awful excuse.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kashuno posted:

I don't understand bringing this up

Because he cased TMM harder than anybody and got killed? Also scum, with perfect information, know I'm not with them. If anything, scum would think that making a bad case and driving how bad that case was could get a day lynch against a townie. On the back of that, they could look at that defense of me and get another townie lynched. I tend to think scum kill people whose points are making sense, and might continue to make more and more dangerous sense.

Kashuno posted:

look into what?

Kashuno posted:

Rereading Quid I think they are scum

Kashuno posted:

also hey Quid what happened to your pmach suspicion because apparently that just went out the window?

This isn't saying anything. I think D1 ended with... one vote on me? People switched over to a very legitimate lynch as soon as it grew apparent. Why call out Quid and nobody else? Also, he did a lot of casing. So, if you think that casing reads scummy, if I were you at -2 I'd probably want to substantiate that point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kashuno posted:

Also quidnose came back d2, which you'd realize if you actually analyze the post, saying he is feeling both TMM and I but no longer you. Idgi how hard is it to look at the context?

I'd ask the same of you? You called him scum based mostly on the pretext that he backed away from me without reason. He's given you much more to work with than that alone. Dropping suspicion isn't a reason to feel scum. People are allowed to change their minds.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
He hasn't said much today at all, has he? That is also strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SirSamVimes posted:

Also the fact that there was fifteen minutes where Kashuno put himself at -1 means I no longer feel that it's a scummy attempt to feign town frustration. Sooo, changed my mind, not inclined to hammer.

I am, however. Hell, I was ready to vote after that interaction earlier, but I wanted to get more thoughts on it.

Before I do, though,

Quidnose posted:

Uh, hold up, this is not true. TMM's case against Hal was basically all Hal has posted, isn't it?

Can you explain your reasoning here for this statement, PMach? Why the soft Hal defense?

Point taken, but like, if I were casing Hal I'm not sure why I wouldn't bring up stuff like the cpig gut read from out of left field. Looking back through, yeah, you're right. But, think of it less as a soft Hal defense, and more of my getting frustrated at TMM's horrible non-logic and cherry-picking in general. He still hasn't said anything substantial about the cases against him. The only real, strong thing he's said is that he thinks Kashu is town.

Does literally anybody else think Kashu is town right now? They've already been explicitly called out as scumbros, but that kind of seals it for me.

I'll let this percolate for a few before I drop hammer. I like having the open nights, but discussion is good if anybody's around.

• Locked thread