Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkl1FamvGa8

In Dreadnought, you are the commander of a gargantuan battleship in an ever-expanding sci-fi universe. This game has a very deliberate (read: slow) pace, which puts a lot of focus on positioning, ability use, and teamwork in a 5 v 5 arena. This is a F2P game where you and your four other friends lead their respective BATTLESHIPS into glorious combat against another force of 5 ships. This game has a very slow, methodical pace. It's on par with the pace of MWO (:suicide:), if you've played that. It is definitely not a twitch shooter.

:siren:WE ARE CURRENTLY IN CLOSED BETA:siren:
How do you get into the closed beta, you ask? One of two ways. The first way is to purchase a founders pack. The second way is to get a fleet recruitment pack from someone who has purchased a founder's pack. The Hunter founders get 2 invites, and the Mercenaries get 4. We will be using this thread to coordinate invites and invite begging.

There was a brief moment of Pay2Win (via officer briefings being cash only, which are like small perks/modifications to game play), which was quickly reverted with in less than 24 hours. Stay vigiliant! This is also not the greatest sign of things to come, but if they are willing to back down on something like this, there may be hope for this game yet.

Most of us are shooting Dreadnoughts over at the Goonrathi mumble:
Server: mumble.goonrathi.com (port 64738)
pw: mellon

This is basically a submarine game. WASD moves you forwards, backwards, and turns your ship. SPACEBAR makes you ascend, and LSHIFT makes you decend. You have four (4) Modules on your hotbar activated by 1, 2, 3, and 4. Timing and understanding these abilities (as well as customizing your ability load outs) is crucial to your success out there in space.

The first slot is the Primary Module. This is the primary gimmick of your ship. Think Nukes/Plasma Rams (:black101:)/Cloak/Seige Mode/etc. It has to do with attacking your enemies

The second slot is the Secondary Module. This is the either another attack option for your more offensive classes, or additional healing for the tac crusier.

The third slot is the Perimiter Module. These modules deal with point defence via autoturrets or various energy pulses.

The fourth slot is the Internal Module. This usually deals with getting around the battlefield, although other effects like the armor/weapon/energy amps also hang out in this slot.

You have two sets of weapons as well. Q allows you to switch from Primary to Secondary weapons. R allows you to reload your currently equipped weapon.
PROTIP: Most people are TERRIBLE at thinking in 3d. Come from Above or Below them. (Below them is preferable :quagmire:)

Note well - High damaging attacks (nukes specifially) are green star-like spheres. They are usually slow and are best blocked with "not being in the blast radius", "Anti-Nuke Lasers", and failing those options, Shields.

The most important part of basic controls is ENERGY MANAGEMENT. In fact, it's so important, it's going to get it's own section.

Hitting the E key, or Middle Mouse Click brings up the Energy Management Wheel. It has 3 distinct sections. ENGINES at the top 3rd, SHIELDS to the bottom right, and WEAPONS to the bottom left. Putting power to the engines allows you to move faster, turn faster, and ascend/descend faster. This super important in getting you in and out of fights. Putting power to the weapons gives you a damage boost, but drains your power reserve very quickly. The most important ability SHIELDS, will put up a damage reduction shield (damage blocking shield for corvettes) which is very important when you start slugging poo poo out with other ships. It also drains energy per second and per impact, so you don't want to just raise shields willy-nilly.

It's probably a good idea to get accustomed to the energy management hotkeys (F1, F2, F3, and F4) or rebind the keys to E(nergy Shields), F(ire Damage) , C(ontrol your ship better) (or someother memonic that you remember).

There are 5 basic Ship roles, and each role has 3 different weight classes.

Corvette (Scout/Harasser/Slayer of Snipers)

See this gorgeous motherfucker right here? Well, in game you won't, until it's chewing up your rear end and then blink warping away. Complaints of being overpowered are overblown with team coordination.
This is the smallest, fastest, class of ships in the game. They have the ability to poo poo out tremendous amounts of damage, but are on the other hand, very fragile. A good 'vette pilot can make the other teams (short) lives absolutely miserable.

They also have a cloak ability (by default) which makes them very hard to track. The ability to dump damage and get the gently caress out of an hairy situation makes them very very dangerous. They also, due to their size and speed, are difficult to hit with the weapons of most other classes, who have to resort to Flak style weapons to really knock these ships out of the black.

LIGHT: The Valcour. A Jupiter Arms ship. An absolute murder machine, balanced only by it's lovely turning rate, weapon firing arcs, and low health.
MEDIUM: The Fulgora. Like most (all?) of the House Oberon ships, it has 360° firing for it's main weapon.
HEAVY: The Kreshnik. This, like most of the Akula Industries ships, is a slow (for a corvette) and sturdy. It's main weapon are it's dual scatter cannons, which unlike the other two corvettes, are single shot high damage weapons, as opposed to the more machine gun like fire of the other two.

Artillery Cruiser (Sniper/Glass Cannon/Dongship/Nutcrackers)

The Svarog, the Medium Artillery Crusier. It is the most phallic of all the phalic ships. :dong:
This is the sniper class, pure and simple. Hits like a truck, but has a limited health pool and terrible maneuverability. The Light and Medium Arty have shots which resemble beams (making it easier to track your shots back to your glass cannon rear end), while the Heavy Arty has more of a single shot that is harder to track back to the origin. The Medium and Heavy arty have single shot weapons before reloading, and have a firing arc - you can only hit things in front of you with your primary weapon.

LIGHT: The Nox. House Oberon. 360° firing arc of primary weapon, and doesn't have to reload after each shot. Personally, I don't think it hits hard enough to justify the cool firing arc and extra maneuverability.
MEDIUM: The Svarog. Jupiter Arms. Fires a bolt of lighting (like the quake rail gun/lighting gun :v:) for good damage. Moves like a cow on skates.
HEAVY: The Grenada. Akula Industries. Front firing arc and sends out a comet like projectile which doesn't track back to your ship. Hits like a truck, moves like a truck driver with two broken legs.

Destroyer (The All Rounder/Bread and Butter/Let's git 'er done)

Pictured above, the Heavy Destroyer, the Gora Medium Destoyer, the Athos
This is the mainstay of the game. While not as tanky as the eponymous dreadnoughts, nor as hard hitting as the Artillery Cruisers, the Destroyer fills a medium range engagement strategy where they can be used to harass Artillery, given the opportunity, Tank fights, or blow up ships, depending on how things are going and the support that they have. They also move at a decent enough clip to actually make it from one fight to the next.

LIGHT: The Vindicta. House Oberon. Nimble and made out of paper (for the destroyer class). They might be able to do work with the plasma ram, if I ever get around to unlocking that on this ship (more on this later).
MEDIUM: The Athos. A Jupiter Arms joint. The Middle of the road ship with the middle of the road weight class. She's a great ship, which can hold it's own at most distances. Has enough hitpoints to get itself into trouble, and with smart shield management, get itself out of trouble.
HEAVY: The Gora. Akula Industries. A bit to slow, and not quite enough armor. Needs more testing.

Tactical Crusier (Healer/Repair Bitch/Force Multiplier)

The Medium Tactical Crusier, the Aeon. Note the House Oberon design, smooth lines and whale like imagery.
"KILL THE loving GREEN BEAM" will be shouted over mumble over and over, as these things are priority loving number one. This is the main target of Corvettes, so watch your rear end and use the terrain to your advantage.

LIGHT: The Cattaro. Jupiter Arms. The Primary weapon can do damage to opposing ships. Just remember that. The HPS isn't as high as the other ships, which renders this thing a bit of a bad ship.
MEDIUM: The Aion. House Oberon. Zippy and maneuverable. This thing keeps your other pilots alive. Which is good. Probably the best healer,
HEAVY: The Koschei. Akula Industries. Highest HPS out of all the healers. This thing is pretty boss.

Dreadnought (Tank/Wall/Heavy)

The Medium Dreadnought, the Zmey, pictured above
Do you want to be the centre of attention? Being hammered on, on all sides by foes? Do you love unleashing Nuclear weaponry on your opponents?

LIGHT: The Invictus. House Oberon. Moves faster than the slowest Destroyer. Made out of paper. Has a primary weapon with 80 shots.
MEDIUM: The Zmey. Akula Industries. Heavy plasma primary weapons are decent.
HEAVY: The Monarch. Jupiter Arms. Welcome to the big leagues. The Heavy Ballistic Cannons are good, but their lack of magazine size means you'll be reloading that motherfucker pretty often. This is also the slowest thing out there, so Warp Drive and Navigation Expert are a must.

Much like Heroes of the Storm, there are a bunch of things to unlock, buy, and eventually fit onto your ships. You have a CAPTAIN LEVEL, which allows you access as you level up to new Ships, Abilities, Weapons, and Officer Perks. Once you hit the requisite level, you can purchase said things from the TRADER STORE. Once purchased (either with regular or premium currency), you can fit the item into your ship. There are Hero Ships, which are preconfigured ships (which are uneditible) with a unique appearance. Stay tuned to this thread to see if we determine if they are worth the money (they probably aren't worth the money).

The game starts you you out in TRADER SHIPS, which are the default versions of the the Medium Ship of each class. Those ship loadouts cannot be changed. When you get enough spacebux, you can purchase your very own ship, and customize it's layout and appearance.

(Thanks to Backhack for the new headers!)

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Reserved for future use.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Also reserved for future use.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
These ships look like :dong:s

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This is a fun game and I enjoy it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow looks great oh man those screenshots are amazing what a stellar op.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
So do you think the founder packs are worth it?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ianmacdo posted:

So do you think the founder packs are worth it?

Having played in the alpha since February, the :10bux: one isn't a bad deal at all.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Posting in a thread about ships u can actually play.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This looks more polished than Fractured Space but also less interesting, at least in terms of roles and abilities. Plus I think FS has a lot more character to its ship design. Eh, I'll probably check it out when its free and keep an eye on this thread in the meantime.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

This looks more polished than Fractured Space but also less interesting. Plus I think FS has a lot more character to its ship design. Eh, I'll probably check it out when its free and keep an eye on this thread in the meantime.

Jesus I feel like a shill now. This game is actually like 10x more fun and polished than FS. I could never get FS to run without all kinds of lag. The interface is also a lot better in my opinion.

EDIT: Mechanically though, they play practically the same.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

This looks more polished than Fractured Space but also less interesting. Plus I think FS has a lot more character to its ship design. Eh, I'll probably check it out when its free and keep an eye on this thread in the meantime.

My question was going to be how does it compare to Fractured Space that looks very similar?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Reason posted:

My question was going to be how does it compare to Fractured Space that looks very similar?

Whereas Fractured Space was coded by a poo poo flinging monkey with multiple organ failures, Dreadnought is made by multiple teams (from Greybox, SixFoot, Yager) that have actually begun (barely) optimizing their poo poo with a ton of feedback from the community.

Granted, right now the community is dominated by a bunch of weaboo cunts (Squad2) and a few randoms who pride themselves in being useless. However, the developers have somewhat been taking ~good~ feedback from people arent screaming at the top of their lungs about inane bullshit as the aforementioned groups are. Met some devs/CM's at PAX South along with some other goons. The devs are rather open and receptive to feedback, so there's promise here yet.

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?
The devs have been open to feedback and criticism and aren't all GRR GOONS so that's a bonus.

I'm still not convinced it won't turn into a P2W circlejerk though as the pubbies have shown they don't really care if the game is rigged as long as it's rigged in their favour.

lauresh fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 27, 2016

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

lauresh posted:

The devs have been open to feedback and criticism and aren't all GRR GOONS so that's a bonus.

I'm still not convinced it won't turn into a P2W circlejerk though as the pubbies have shown they don't really care if the game is rigged as long as it's rigged in their favour.

The Devs have been pretty adamant that they do not want this game to be pay to win. So far, Realbux gets you premium time, hero ships (which are just preconfigured regular ships) or cosmetic items. It doesn't seem like they have a real p2w structure in place.

Yet. Here's hoping.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Never not :justpost:

Cpt Underpants
Nov 19, 2008

Simply Irresistible
Grimey Drawer
Echoing others sentiments, this game is actually fun. Like similar games, teamwork is OP so grouping up with goons makes pubstomping much better than randoms. A group of us met up with the them at PAX South and they were super receptive to our suggestions.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
Other than the aforementioned awful community they've got going with some dumbass 4channers, the game itself is good. Money doesn't seem to be a determining factor in success, yet. Also this game has jpgs of ships that you can also actually fly about and doesn't ask you for all of your money so that they might maybe someday release something that vaguely resembles a game while having a slap fight with Derek Smart, while he also releases a :airquote: game :airquote:.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Reason posted:

They're very similar, although I would say that Dreadnought has far better looking maps and environments vs generic boring space with asteroids. Ships handle similarly in both, but skills and abilities are more streamlined and work more cohesively together in Dreadnought.

Probably the largest difference feel wise is that in Dreadnought you can't strafe side to side, unlike Fractured space.
The energy mechanic on the other hand is totally unique, and completely makes or breaks how well you do in DN.

If you don't want to be bad, don't use the wheel UI, just use the hotkeys, which are F1-3 by default for engines, shields, and weapons. F4 cancels your current effect. Being able to hit shields instantly is ultra important for: Not dying to a corvette alpha strike as a sniper, not dying to a nuclear missile strike, allowing your tac cruiser to actually catch up and out heal incoming damage if you're tanking in a dread, etc. Shield power is more efficient than weapon power, so watch for enemies burning their energy on weapon boosts and eat it on your shields. You will come out way ahead on health, and probably energy, and easily beat the poo poo out of them.
Weapon boosts are super great for snipers getting a surprise shot, with the caveat that sniper shots suck up so much power that two shots will completely drain your energy pool, leaving you poo poo out of luck if a Corvette uncloaks behind you to ream out your butthole. So just be careful about tapping yourself out, energy wise, since it takes a good 30-45+ seconds to regen to full.

The biggest current flaw with DN is that the game modes aren't too hot. I don't know if they're adding in additional objective based modes for CBT/OBT, but the game only has TDM (First team to 20 kills wins) and an elimination mode at present- Both of which heavily incentivize camping out in a cluster of tac cruisers and dreadnoughts in a hard turtle to deny enemy kills. The game is infinitely more fun when doing silly things like a team of all light destroyers kitted out with double power engine boosts and Plasma rams, but that takes playing in full goon groups to pull off. (Other fun stuff: All light dreads loaded with double power engines, warp jump, and nukes- Luckily there is no friendly fire! :v: )

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
So is the closed beta happening now? Or on the 29th like RPS says? (I mean if I buy one of the packs)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well according to the streamer I bummed a key from it was supposed to start this hour, but the devs just announced a few hours delay.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Looks like a fun time. I vaguely remember seeing Dreadnought at PAX South but there was always a huge mob of people around.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Seems fun, I'd love a key if someone has a spare.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

I picked up a Mercenaries pack and I'm feeling generous. PM me your email for a key.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Seems fun, I'd love a key if someone has a spare.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

thylacine posted:

So is the closed beta happening now? Or on the 29th like RPS says? (I mean if I buy one of the packs)

If you buy a pack or get a code from somebody who bought a pack, it starts today. If you are invited in, it starts on the 29th or 30th.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have 2 invite codes for the Beta.

PM me with your emails if you want in.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

m.hache posted:

PM sent bruv

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Posting in this thread because robo leader said so, also the devs where fun to talk to at Pax South and seem to really enjoy what they do.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 27, 2016

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

9 bucks aint bad, ill buy this.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

m.hache posted:

Don't have PMs email is sareed113@gmail.com if you still have one.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sedisp posted:

Don't have PMs email is sareed113@gmail.com if you still have one.

Sent.

Invites gone!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just tried and it looks like their server is still down. :(

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Who do I have to expose myself to for a key?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Apparently they gave a bunch of streamers like 250 codes each so you could camp streams.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

This game is cool and fun to play. Teamwork is in fact super OP.

axente
Aug 8, 2012

Still some server problems it seems.

https://twitter.com/playdreadnought/status/725396762295291905

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

nightchild12 posted:

This game is cool and fun to play. Teamwork is in fact super OP.

Teamwork is ultra OP. (As usual).

So long as you aren't ~that guy~ in a dreadnought getting healed and warp 10 km away from the tac cruiser that was healing you!

(Maybe/hopefully that got fixed in the patch- DNs got warp jump way before Tac cruisers did, making it really hard to keep up).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

Teamwork is ultra OP. (As usual).

So long as you aren't ~that guy~ in a dreadnought getting healed and warp 10 km away from the tac cruiser that was healing you!

(Maybe/hopefully that got fixed in the patch- DNs got warp jump way before Tac cruisers did, making it really hard to keep up).

I only did that once...

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
doubleposted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
huh, world of spaceships.

if anyone wants to pm me a key, ill do a little jig, but i wont take pics of it or nothing

• Locked thread