Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Gwaihir posted:

At various points the skills in fractured space were just a lot more scattershot in effectiveness and whether they were really useful at all.

(I bought in to fractured space early, and it's actually come a super long way- I still like it.)

FS has a really wide range of ship classes and niche roles, much more so than DN does. Each ship has unique skills which help define whatever role it might have

In DN you have the ship classes:
DN (Tank/area denial)
Destroyer (Midrange brawler/overall DPS)
Tac cruiser (Utility and healing)
Artillery (Duh)
Corvettes (Anti-artillery/ganking people that wander off alone because they're bad),

Weight ranges which are pretty strictly a trade off of health for speed (And sometimes damage, range, and other things in niche cases- Light snipers get 360 firing arcs vs restricted arcs on med/heavies, medium corvettes get full arcs vs lights)

Meanwhile, every ship gets the same combination of skills:
An offensive buff type skill (Plasma Ram, assault blink, siege mode)
secondary weapon/secondary utility (Think heavy torpedos, or autonomous repair pods)
defensive/utility (Anti-missile lasers, etc)
mobility/self buff (Cloaks, afterburners, warp jumps, self repairs, etc).

The skills are spread among multiple ship classes as well, although not every class gets access to every skill (Nuclear torpedoes are limited to DNs and DDs, etc)

It feels like it ends up working out better if you want to coordinate as a team, everyone has skills they can use to get themselves out of a jam, move around the battlefield, dump extra damage, etc. Especially when combined with your energy based skills. Everyone can amp up damage, defense, or mobility, sometimes with big multipliers because of skill and officer interactions.

So ships are more generalist at the same time they're divided into classes. I don't like how healers carry a lot of weight but perhaps that might change. The energy system is a neat idea like armor powers from crysis. And in a similar fashion, the defence buff does heavy lifting compared to the other modifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, healing balance is... Probably not very good. The heavy tactical is such a huge massive swing (Even after getting it's range nerfed in the patch) that you really require one on your team. Not a problem in a goon group, very big problem in a random pug.

On the other hand, healing is very easy to rack up huge rep gains per battle, so there's not a bad incentive to play tacs while level grinding. It's just outrageously painful if you don't have at least one trustworthy DPS player that can actually kill people with you.

The Medium tac isn't going to keep up healing against an enemy team that is focus firing, and is lucky to actually keep up with 1, depending on what skills you're using. But the heavy, between power to weapons and the beam amp skill is vastly more potent than the medium, and can blast a dreadnought from low to full in no time flat if it's shields are up.

Combined with the officer skill that grants energy from healing, or being healed, you have a huge power swing.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 28, 2016

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Destroyers are my favorite. The first one you get actually seems vastly more survivable than the first dreadnought and seems to pump out more damage at the same time. I have had numerous dreadnoughts try and 1v1 me when they caught me below 1/2 health and I haven't lost to one yet. I'm still low level though and haven't seen any of the heavier dreads, so hopefully they are better.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If anyone has a spare key I wouldn't mind eventually getting upset about my beta progress being wiped.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 29, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Stealthy corvettes are an efficient counter to Tacs if it's played by a "good" player, but still requires teammates to be actively engaging a turtle blob, especially since destroyers spotting you is a death sentence.

Also the generic damage boost is essential to corvettes and can turn a two-volley kill into a one, depending on the enemy ship.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

deathbagel posted:

Destroyers are my favorite. The first one you get actually seems vastly more survivable than the first dreadnought and seems to pump out more damage at the same time. I have had numerous dreadnoughts try and 1v1 me when they caught me below 1/2 health and I haven't lost to one yet. I'm still low level though and haven't seen any of the heavier dreads, so hopefully they are better.

Yea, the heavy DD actually has the same health as the light dread (invictus), but it has a much more compact shape so it can hide in cover easier, and it's DPS is a bit better.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, the heavy DD actually has the same health as the light dread (invictus), but it has a much more compact shape so it can hide in cover easier, and it's DPS is a bit better.

It also has the energy booster, so your shield uptime is WAY higher, or you can channel power to weapons instead and your DPS goes up way higher.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have two one spare key. PM me your e-mail address will get it. Gone.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 28, 2016

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Anyone else not able to login? Just hangs after I press login for me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The Invictus isn't a burst DPS dread, it's meant for sustained fire at range. Yeah some of us are idiots ( like me ) and like to brawl with them, but you HAVE to have your energy management on point if you're gonna do that poo poo. And don't swap out your Plasma Barrage either because that's probably your most handy thing in a fight next to the Repeater Guns. Repeater guns will absolutely massacre Corvettes who try to sneak in and kill that friendly Tac hiding in your shadow.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pharnakes posted:

I am unable to log in too. I'll just leave it spinning for a while.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

I have two one spare key. PM me your e-mail address will get it. Gone.

Thank you kind goon sir!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Pharnakes posted:

http://support.greybox.com/hc/en-us/articles/208630436-Stuck-logging-into-Dreadnought-We-re-working-on-it-

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DN_Thor posted:

So we are working on it, what I can say is that login requests time out at 30 seconds. So if you wait for longer then 30 seconds restart

This came from their community manager.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
they were doing maintenance a few hours ago
https://twitter.com/DreadnoughtCS/status/725761331891032064

its also fun playing "spot the closed alpha players"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I heard teamwork is OP. Where do I find teamwork?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Kuvo posted:

they were doing maintenance a few hours ago
https://twitter.com/DreadnoughtCS/status/725761331891032064

its also fun playing "spot the closed alpha players"

I just started last night and out of the 20 or so games I played I scored 3000+ points and had 11+ kills in about 5 of them. Don't need to be closed alpha to play well!

The game isn't difficult, though I was definitely platooned with a healer the whole time too, having a healer in your group is a requirement, bringing one with you helps a ton.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Do cloaks not actually work? I've had several times where I"m cloaked with 5-10 seconds left and a sniper or another vette just crushes me

Additionally, even with a good sneak up and torpedoes, I don't seem to actually do much damage to other ships. Is the starter corvette bad? Am I m issing something?

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 28, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Skyl3lazer posted:

Do cloaks not actually work? I've had several times where I"m cloaked with 5-10 seconds left and a sniper or another vette just crushes me

You still show up on the minimap and the cloak isn't 100% perfect. If they see you on the minimap, they might be able to spot you. One thing I haven't tried is seeing how graphics options affects the cloaking device.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Yea, it's like Predator cloaking, you still distort the area around you, I've shot a few corvettes out of the sky who were cloaked.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Cloak doesn't make you invisible on the map, if someone spotted you before you cloaked you'll still show up on the map. Hide behind cover where the enemy can't see you for a bit before cloaking.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Additionally, even with a good sneak up and torpedoes, I don't seem to actually do much damage to other ships. Is the starter corvette bad? Am I missing something?

Get close, focus power to weapons, launch torps, unload guns, and then fly away; repeat as needed. Most enemies will be dead before they can respond so long as they don't know your there.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 28, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
My interest is piqued, looks pretty cool to fly around in space ships, especially big gently caress off ones to blow people up (or heal the butts of bigger ones). If anyone has a spare key I'll take it.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I've been waiting to try this out for a while now, so here goes :10bux: I guess.

Hopefully it turns out well; been getting loadsa connection errors on the download, though.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Corvette tip.

gently caress cloak get blink.

Now you will never not be fast.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Sedisp posted:

Corvette tip.

gently caress cloak get blink.

Now you will never not be fast.

I call corvettes with blink equipped, "A Free Kill." :v:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

I call corvettes "A Free Kill." :v:

FTFY

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Does this game have gigantic capital ship battles like the first trailer had? Dogfighting isn't something I find interesting.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Does this game have gigantic capital ship battles like the first trailer had? Dogfighting isn't something I find interesting.
Yes.

If you need to see some gameplay, just pick a random stream on Twitch.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Back Hack posted:

I call corvettes with blink equipped, "A Free Kill." :v:

Then they are what I call "a bad player"

Blink and after burner means you will literally never kill me unless I get too greedy.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Plus the cloak is easy as gently caress to spot.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Xae posted:

Also that. Plus if you don't want people to see you scrambler is a thing that sucks to get hit by.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
Would love an invite if anyone has one left over.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Azuth0667 posted:

The only thing that really at all approaches dogfighting is Corvette on Corvette, the feel of gameplay and positioning is definitely very deliberate. (Almost overboard in some cases, the Heavy Dreadnought is almost immobile without power to engines)

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
After playing my first match, I went to the market to try to buy a ship but all the categories are empty - is anyone else having this problem? Is it because I bought the Whale mega pack?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It shouldn't be, unless they're in the middle of fixing the prices maybe? I think they're going to change everything costing only 1 credit.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Sedisp posted:

Blink and after burner means you will literally never kill me unless I get too greedy.

You're giving up the the corvettes greatest strength, surprise, for a small amount of mobility and the ability for enemies to spot you long before you can do anything helpful. You're right that you're hard to catch, but chances are you're not going to get any kills either.

Plus this strategy only last as long as people haven't unlocked their stasis abilities and/or the heavier ship classes.

Xae posted:

Only if you don't use it right; If you do, you should be in and out, before the enemy have realized you've killed someone.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So I got a key while sitting in someone's stream and talking to the chat room about how I was sitting in my own excrement in silent protest.

Time to download non-jpeg ships.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So I got a key while sitting in someone's stream and talking to the chat room about how I was sitting in my own excrement in silent protest.

Time to download non-jpeg ships.

Hahaha I was in that stream too, it prompted much talk about excrement.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Back Hack posted:

You're giving up the the corvettes greatest strength, surprise, for a small amount of mobility and the ability for enemies to spot you long before you can do anything helpful. You're right that you're hard to catch, but chances are you're not going to get any kills either.

8 kills at least each match I've played with it.

Use trenches or other los things, go fast.

Stasis does not affect blink.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
IGN: mfhache if someone wants to watch me die constantly while I figure out how to Corvette.

• Locked thread