Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is it the time already where I add this game to my long list of mmo disappointments ?

Warhammer Fantasy Collector's Edition
Hellgate London
Mortal Online
Darkfall
Age of Conan CE
Perpetuum
SWTOR CE
TERA
ArcheAge Preorder CE

Dreadnought ???

I should rather invest my mmo cash into heroin, I heard it's more fun.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Hammerstein posted:

Is it the time already where I add this game to my long list of mmo disappointments ?

Warhammer Fantasy Collector's Edition
Hellgate London
Mortal Online
Darkfall
Age of Conan CE
Perpetuum
SWTOR CE
TERA
ArcheAge Preorder CD

Dreadnought ???

I should rather invest my mmo cash into heroin, I heard it's more fun.

God drat, you really need someone to screen your purchases. I only got SWTOR on that list.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Well at least I dodged a bullet with Elder Scrolls Online and Secret World.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Man I got my code like 2 days ago but I've been busy and not even been able to create an account and the game is dead already.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Game isn't dead, the matchmaker is perpetually broken though.

That's going to be the actual real reason this game dies a simpering death than any p2w shenanigans though. Heck, if it was working people probably wouldn't be nearly as mad at that stuff as they are.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Had some decent gameplay tonight, 30 second solo queues, although about 3 server crashes mid-game over the course of 4 hours.

Also, LOL @ thinking that a little p2w is going to destroy the playerbase. There's not much in this category, so it's not like players will jump ship (lol) to a different space juggernaught dogfighting deathmatch game. WoT and WoWarships are the closest things and they don't provide the same gamefeel at all. This isn't FANTASY_OR_SCIFI_GRINDFEST_MMO.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fractured Space is the only real competition here, and it is p2w poo poo. So yeah, think the games safe. Not to mention it's actually fun, they just need to remove heads from asses.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
What's the point of a cloak if you're seen halfway accross the map anyways?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

SweetBro posted:

It's better to use cloak to sneak up on people, not fly directly in their face. In the heat of battle, people don't tend to notice cloaked ships flying behind them.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

SweetBro posted:

You can't be targeted by lock-ons and don't turn enemies' aiming icons red while cloaked - even if they know you're there it can be handy for evading volleys or causing enemies to misjudge aim.

Stuff like the cloak pulse is still bad though; I only use it on my Tac Cruiser because it's so coooooool.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Yeah, the medium cloak is good for crossing the map, moving from cover to cover minimize the chance that someone gets lucky and notices your ghostly outline. Haven't seen the light cloak, but I'd imagine it's only good at long distances. Saw a heavy cloak few days ago and that actually makes you pretty invisible. You can still spot it, but then the cloaker is already in firing distance.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zernach posted:

Yeah, the medium cloak is good for crossing the map, moving from cover to cover minimize the chance that someone gets lucky and notices your ghostly outline. Haven't seen the light cloak, but I'd imagine it's only good at long distances. Saw a heavy cloak few days ago and that actually makes you pretty invisible. You can still spot it, but then the cloaker is already in firing distance.
The heavy cloak also doesn't decloak when firing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SweetBro posted:

Everyone else has already mentioned all the fun stuff with cloak except that activating cloak doesn't remove you getting spotted on the mini-map, so it's possible some enemies might know your approaching them before they can see you. Because of this it's best to stay out of their line of sight by hiding behind something for a few seconds before cloaking up and making your attack run, that way both they and the mini-map lose track of you.

gibbed posted:

The heavy cloak also doesn't decloak when firing.

But you also take increased damage by doing so.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I am incredibly glad I didn't get a founders pack yesterday. gently caress these devs.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

I am incredibly glad I didn't get a founders pack yesterday. gently caress these devs.

Shots fired.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Servers crashing mid match consistently for 5 battles.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I played this game a bunch yesterday: It's interesting. I'll probably pop in and play every now and then, but there's no loving way I'm going to try and "grind" out anything when there's going to be a wipe and every other map results in a server crash.

Edit: Also, from reading this thread I can see I'm not alone in this, but goddamn the game modes are terrible and promote giant blobs that are tough to break up without coordination (which there is none in pubbie games). Needs more game modes.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 4, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Man, all they had to do was be less :pgi: but they can't even do that?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
The curse of arena shooters apparently, horrid management and a complete lack of ability to correctly balance anything.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The only thing that bothers me about this game is the lack of pitch and roll controls. There's so much great gameplay options that would open up. I don't get why either, submarines definitely do move like that.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

The only thing that bothers me about this game is the lack of pitch and roll controls. There's so much great gameplay options that would open up. I don't get why either, submarines definitely do move like that.

I don't see pitch and roll doing anything for me but the ships already have lateral thrusters. Give me that left right action devs

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed. Pitch and roll would require one of those 3D radar displays and like gently caress if I can ever correctly interpret those. But yeah, no reason not to be able to strafe.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Yeah, when I first played this I still had Fractured Space in mind so I was suprised how that wasn't in. God it makes me sad how FS is so dead in the water, the last time I tried it the prices seemed skyhigh for new ships and that drove me right back out.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Zernach posted:

Yeah, when I first played this I still had Fractured Space in mind so I was suprised how that wasn't in. God it makes me sad how FS is so dead in the water, the last time I tried it the prices seemed skyhigh for new ships and that drove me right back out.

For some reason indie-spaceship games will have these great ideas, then proceed to poo poo all over them with F2P ideas.
Though admittedly Rebel Galaxy was good until you realized all the content was the same outside the starter system.

For AAA games, Elite Dangerous focused too much on sandbox, and Star Citizen turned out to be a kickstarter scam.
I just want Freelancer2, assholes.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i havent fired up fractured space in a minute and hearing they put in a bunch of p2w bs ships makes me sad

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Blazing Zero posted:

i havent fired up fractured space in a minute and hearing they put in a bunch of p2w bs ships makes me sad

Did they really? Last time I played was maybe a month or two back, and there were like all of 2(?) premium ships that seemed not great.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Now that they have fixed their servers somewhat I could finally get a series of games in .

Level 16 now and the more I level there more I get the impression that they have a lot of work to do.

For one: There are not enough ships and modules. The game grows stale extremely fast because of the limited options you have when configuring your ship, because there are only a few setups which can be considered "good". Also several modules are plain bad or gimmicky and will find no place in a Team vs Team situation, modules like Fighters for example.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The Royal Scrub posted:

I don't see pitch and roll doing anything for me but the ships already have lateral thrusters. Give me that left right action devs

Well it would mainly help with the artillery cruisers that have limited firing angles, you can't shoot directly up or down. It would also make it easier for dreadnoughts to body block for their supports. The ships also move faster along their main axis so you could go up and down quicker. It's not a deal breaker but I'd like it more.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Reading the forums, it looks like they went back on making Officer Briefings GP only and allowed them to be bought with FP.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think the problem stemmed from the fact that everyone jumped the gun before they could address the issue, when literally a couple days before the patch dropped they said there isn't going to be any P2W stuff.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TopHatGenius posted:

Reading the forums, it looks like they went back on making Officer Briefings GP only and allowed them to be bought with FP.

I even updated the OP with the resolution to this latest controversy!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Back Hack posted:

I think the problem stemmed from the fact that everyone jumped the gun before they could address the issue, when literally a couple days before the patch dropped they said there isn't going to be any P2W stuff.

It's the Chucklefish brand of game design. They wanted to make some things GP only and were going to give out GP as rewards, but GP rewards weren't done at all so instead of holding the changes back they decided to gently caress all the balance up by implementing a half completed system. Why don't people learn that the Chucklefish method makes a bad game?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The game just does not have any legs to it. After playing for a while it just becomes boring.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

The game just does not have any legs to it. After playing for a while it just becomes boring.

Yeah, you're essentially right. I can't bring myself to play the beta because it will be the third reset I've played through and gently caress that. I'll keep an eye on it but right now it's just boring.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'll wait for release or when they add those new modes they were talking about.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Sounds like the exact same problem that MWO has.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but at least Dreadnought didn't have you whining about everything. Silver linings, etc.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Skoll posted:

Yeah, but at least Dreadnought didn't have you whining about everything. Silver linings, etc.

It might get better than I can start playing just for you. <3

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
The matchmaker in this game must be designed to make low level players quit. I can't see any other reason that it'll match a level ~8-13 group with a level ~25+ group that shits all over them with heavy dreads and heavy tac cruisers. That's ignoring the whole "five man pre-made with scramblers, thrust amps, and purge ram Destroyers vs. random victims" groups you get matched against occasionally.

Besides that, it's a decent enough game. I still think Fractured Space is better balanced mechanically and has more variety in terms of individual ship game play, but last I checked it still has <250 players online at an given time. A slight heal/shield nerf and another game mode or two would help immensely here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been reading space operas (David Weber) and since they go on and on and on about Dreadnoughts, cruisers, battleships and SD's this game caught my eye recently. Anyone have a beta key available?

• Locked thread