Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BossRighteous posted:

We won the war, we have on demand digital download everything now. If you cant spend <$5 /h on media and software as an adult I feel bad for you. Even an adobe subscription is like an unused gym membership at this point.

what kind of retard spends money on stuff when its actually free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
wait a god drat minute, those nude men arent women at all, why is my weiner gettin hard????

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Fishy Joe posted:

wait a god drat minute, those nude men arent women at all, why is my weiner gettin hard????

pranked muthafacku

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I bought winrar.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use uTorrent with a proxy.

I hate utorrent, but the freeware stuff has broken remote service.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i could spend 10 dollars a month for the privilege of watching whatever trash netflix manages to license on the cheap, with ads, OR i could watch every single tv show and film ever created by humanity for 0 dollars, ad free. what a tough choice

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Lmao if you don't operate your own VPN jumpbox

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Methanar posted:

Lmao if you don't operate your own VPN jumpbox

lmao if you even know what this means

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

The problem with services like Netflix is content is constantly being removed. Oh you wanted to relax and watch King of the Hill? Too bad its gone. Plex + piracy means you can build your own personal Netflix that you have complete control over.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I'm actually just collecting the ASCII art from the .NFO files. I delete everything else.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
the forum that complains about how everything is trash that doesn't appeal to them gives content creators no financial reason to care about their opinions by pirating everything :ms:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

KakerMix posted:

Capitalism owns, if companies can't figure out how to get my money from my hands then that's on them.
Steam killed game piracy, it's more convenient to play by the rules now. Same with music streaming. TV shows haven't quite figured it out yet, sometimes things go missing from Amazon or Netflix and lmao at buying physical media are you loving kidding me, you just shift the convenience to piracy making the most sense I am a shitposter on the go I don't have time for this

Yup, it is 100% about convienince. I haven't bought or downloaded any music in maybe 5 years because of Spotify. I have all the music ever made available instantly, with a monthly payment that is less than the cost of one MP3 album.

It's amazing to me when artists complain about Spotify not being equitable and paying them a fraction of a penny for each play, but dudes, before Spotify I was paying you exactly nothing for your music, and would've continued.

They really need a Spotify for movies. Something with EVERYTHING on it. Although there's a good chance that half the population would die because they starved to death scrolling through them all and trying to decide what to watch.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Yup, it is 100% about convienince. I haven't bought or downloaded any music in maybe 5 years because of Spotify. I have all the music ever made available instantly, with a monthly payment that is less than the cost of one MP3 album.

It's amazing to me when artists complain about Spotify not being equitable and paying them a fraction of a penny for each play, but dudes, before Spotify I was paying you exactly nothing for your music, and would've continued.

They really need a Spotify for movies. Something with EVERYTHING on it. Although there's a good chance that half the population would die because they starved to death scrolling through them all and trying to decide what to watch.

i dont understand how their business model works, shouldn't they be paying millions and millions in licensing fees?

i mean thats exactly the reason the movie thing you are describing doesnt exist

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Guy Mann posted:

the forum that complains about how everything is trash that doesn't appeal to them gives content creators no financial reason to care about their opinions by pirating everything :ms:

Not just that.

Imagine doing a job, going to work for your living, and then being told "I don't feel like paying you, you can't force me to pay you, thanks for the free labour, fagg0!" But of course many are too up their own asses to care.

Our species has always had a problem with morals, ethics, and virtue. The internet just amplifies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Data doesn't have the same intrinsic value as a physical product, and I can't help it if tens of thousands of my best friends are willing to share their copy of dark souls and a working crack with me.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Iron Prince posted:

lmao if you even know what this means

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Lol at paying for content in tyool 2016.

Netflix doesnt count. And also I guess spotify or whatever even tho i dont pay for that poo poo cause theres a trillion easy ways to download music.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Soon, all art will be great, because no artist cares what people who don't pay for art think.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

good thing video games are not art

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I write "art," you think "video games"?

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
Not filez specifically but nore-so opie in general I hope he dies in my arms

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Agent Escalus posted:

Our species has always had a problem with morals, ethics, and virtue. The internet just amplifies.

gee that sounds pretty bad good thing we got folks like you to show us the way though

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Pitdragon posted:

gee that sounds pretty bad good thing we got folks like you to show us the way though

Just you wait, I'm gonna get shot for it, too.

Joke's on the assassin; getting drawn and quartered would resonate so much better and send the shock value into overdrive, but noooooo...

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i pirate because australia's got real bad distribution with media stuff

just gotta wait too long to watch my stories otherwise

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Fonzarelli posted:

i pirate because australia's got real bad distribution with media stuff

just gotta wait too long to watch my stories otherwise

Don't you guys have some ridiculously low monthly cap on your internet?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Has public opinion shifted away from the whole "information wants to be free" thing, or is it just that fewer of the people I know now are teenagers?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

But asmr videos r free??

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
is it true that usenet is a paid service to download completely free linux distros???

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Agent Escalus posted:

Not just that.

Imagine doing a job, going to work for your living, and then being told "I don't feel like paying you, you can't force me to pay you, thanks for the free labour, fagg0!" But of course many are too up their own asses to care.

this thread is about piracy not Das Kapital take it to D&D you commie

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Using Netflix for a movie evening in any non-US country is loving hilarious.

"Hay guys let's watch X, that's a cool film!"
*browses Netflix, doesn't find X*
"Hmm what if we watch Y instead, that film is cool too!"
*repeat*

15 minutes later we start some lovely direct-to-DVD movie because that's the only thing that's available.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dzhay posted:

Has public opinion shifted away from the whole "information wants to be free" thing, or is it just that fewer of the people I know now are teenagers?

i think only on this forum.

people need a reason to justify working all day at a poo poo job, once they hit their 30s. looking at a full and unplayed Steam library works well, and paying for music or whatever. I mean, if you could get all that poo poo for free then working all day for it seems pretty pointless, so a rationalization is helpful.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

No Taylor Swift on Spotify so opinion invalidated muthafucka :boom:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

BossRighteous posted:

We won the war, we have on demand digital download everything now. If you cant spend <$5 /h on media and software as an adult I feel bad for you. Even an adobe subscription is like an unused gym membership at this point.

when the real war against paying 50 dollars a month for regulated internet slower than advertised, and then paying 9 dollars for netflix, then mlb asking for 150 dollars a year to watch baseball games, and then facebook costing you all your personal information ever just to share plans and a few party pictures with friends, and then electricity still costing money despite that we can now generate it from the sun

etc

etc

i just want you to know you will be considered a big business rear end kisser and i wont accept your nuremberg defense

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember that Reddit guy who owned himself into the grave because information wanted to be pee

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

paul_soccer10 posted:

Remember that Reddit guy who owned himself into the grave because information wanted to be pee

i dont remember that guy

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
latest-game-of-thrones-episode.avi

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

peak debt posted:

Using Netflix for a movie evening in any non-US country is loving hilarious.

"Hay guys let's watch X, that's a cool film!"
*browses Netflix, doesn't find X*
"Hmm what if we watch Y instead, that film is cool too!"
*repeat*

15 minutes later we start some lovely direct-to-DVD movie because that's the only thing that's available.

Download the Hola plugin for Chrome or Firefox and change your country to US.

Voila -- you now have US Netflix!

Jesus gently caress does nobody even know how to look up how to do simple poo poo like that anymore?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
People who go to Netflix/Amazon Prime/whatever expecting to find a specific movie are misguided. You go there and then browse through what they have to select something. Otherwise it'd be like going to a DVD kiosk to see if they have Donnie Darko or whatever.

This is the trade off we all made when we killed Blockbuster et. al.

Just use netflix's old school dvd rental by mail if you want something specific, or realize that with few exceptions all media is worthless junk designed to separate humankind from nature

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Or just files the exact movie you wanted to watch for free instead of settling for whatever is available on netflix like a gosh d*rned chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus Christ posted:

Download the Hola plugin for Chrome or Firefox and change your country to US.

Voila -- you now have US Netflix!

Jesus gently caress does nobody even know how to look up how to do simple poo poo like that anymore?

netflix finally started caring about people who use proxies recently at least it detects my VPN

• Locked thread