Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

notthegoatseguy posted:

What is this exactly?
#2 on this list: http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-biggest-wtf-moments/?view=all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

PaybackJack posted:

Theater went dead silent
American audiences must be very noisy for you to notice that. Belgian audiences are very quiet. If there's a great joke you might hear some chuckles but otherwise we think silence is gold. I remember going to see a showing of Inside Out that must have been full of anglophone expatriates because the audience roared with laughter at nearly every joke. It was such an astonishing experience that I went to see that movie three more times, but the audiences then were quiet as is typical of us.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Chickenfrogman posted:

He's trolling. Most of his posts in the comic movie threads are trolling. Do not engage, you make good posts but waste most of your time getting trolled by SMG.

There is no conspiracy against you.

Beginning with the OP, this is already like another Guardians Of The Galaxy where it's 'really good and I love the racoon/tree', then the film just vanishes from the conversation. I was mildly interested in the film, but have no interest in this Soap Opera Digest, "Sarah Learns The Truth About Sage's Baby" spoiler stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Soap Opera Digest fuckin owns, you better watch your step.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

What is this exactly?

https://gfycat.com/SecondhandPossibleArchaeocete

PaybackJack posted:

Theater went dead silent when he fell from the sky and landed with a dull thud. Next scene with him he's getting an MRI and the final scene with Tony is him helping Rhodey try walk with some bionics. Rhodey makes a comment about how he went on a bunch of missions and knew every one could have been his last. He doesn't regret backing the accords and siding with Stark even though he's paralyzed because he feels he made the right call; which essentially wraps up how you kind of feel about everyone's POV; they were right but bad poo poo still happened. It's good. It would have been really cheap if they killed him off and it's Vision who blasts him in an act of friendly fire, not Bucky or someone on Cap's side so it's kind of like how the Goliath death in the comic should have been. Someone slips up, ironically the Android that shouldn't be capable of slipping up(this is addressed), and one of their friends/allies/comrades is seriously injured.

I'm more curious about the part where Rhodey gets to walk again, because it comes off has a cheap way for them to build tension with "oh no not Rhodey!" and then do away with it as "he can keep being War Machine because Tony fixed him!" You're description doesn't make it sound like that's the case, but if you don't mind expanding on that part I'd appreciate it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kurzon posted:

American audiences must be very noisy for you to notice that. Belgian audiences are very quiet. If there's a great joke you might hear some chuckles but otherwise we think silence is gold. I remember going to see a showing of Inside Out that must have been full of anglophone expatriates because the audience roared with laughter at nearly every joke. It was such an astonishing experience that I went to see that movie three more times, but the audiences then were quiet as is typical of us.

I saw it in Taiwani, I didn't see any other foreigners in the theater. Audiences here are a bit quieter than the U.S. but often times that has to do with some of the jokes. For example in Guardians of the Galaxy my friend and I were laughing our asses off at a lot of the lines that were very 80s/90s Americana pop culture stuff, and people here don't get that or they don't find it funny because it's not their culture. Sometimes there are poor translations too or the translations are off a second so sometimes I see a movie that's subtitled and I laugh a moment before others in the theater start laughing.

In the case of this scene, the editors cut the sound as there was a good uncomfortable 3-4 seconds before *thud*. In those seconds you could have almost heard a pin drop. Like people literally held their breath for a moment.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm more curious about the part where Rhodey gets to walk again, because it comes off has a cheap way for them to build tension with "oh no not Rhodey!" and then do away with it as "he can keep being War Machine because Tony fixed him!" You're description doesn't make it sound like that's the case, but if you don't mind expanding on that part I'd appreciate it.

I don't know how much more I can really add. It's not something that they just throw away, although they do make it clear he'll be ok...ish. The point is that they realize at the beginning of the movie that they cause a lot of collateral damage and in order to try and prevent that, they end up fighting and causing more collateral damage. So that Rhodey is paralyzed and can't walk again until he can through technology, it's kind of like a scar or regret. They tried to atone for the things they regretted and ended up having more regrets. Will he be back as if nothing happened in later films? Possibly, but that's kind of comics deal is that a lot of times you have to take the story contextually and if they bring it up later you get rewarded for having paid attention and remembering it and it adds an extra thin slice of characterization on top of whatever they're doing now. So will it be a major issue going forward? I don't think so, but it had a purpose in this film and didn't feel meaningless.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 28, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MacheteZombie posted:

It looks like he still has a long recovery period ahead of him even with Stark's technology and will probably be reliant on them for the rest of his life. He won't be running (marathons) but he could still be War Machine although he'll be out of the picture for a long while. He has a positive attitude though and the scene is also made a bit lighter by the appearance of another character.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 28, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

It would be stupid to have Rhodey confided to a wheelchair when his best friend specializes in making robotic exoskeletons. This means for Rhodey that being War Machine will not just be a job anymore, he's going to be in that suit almost all the time because he can no longer be strong and mobile without it. Pleasures we take for granting like swimming and sex and walks in the park will become alien to him.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Seriously , when Rhody hits the ground it's nauseating.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kurzon posted:

It would be stupid to have Rhodey confided to a wheelchair when his best friend specializes in making robotic exoskeletons. This means for Rhodey that being War Machine will not just be a job anymore, he's going to be in that suit almost all the time because he can no longer be strong and mobile without it. Pleasures we take for granting like swimming and sex and walks in the park will become alien to him.

It would be just as stupid if Rhodey got hurt, then in the next scene we see him he's doing great even with the injury because his homeboy is just that dope. Mierenneuker responded to my concern adequately and lessened my concerns.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

What is this exactly?

Basically, the film looks like its going to have an extended debate about Superman's role directly through the state, but then it focuses on a jar of piss before the entire building explodes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Basically, the film looks like its going to have an extended debate about Superman's role directly through the state, but then it focuses on a jar of piss before the entire building explodes.

There's a bit more going on with the scene than this post implies.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

There's a bit more going on with the scene than this post implies.

well yeah, the jar of piss has buildup and foreshadowing. It's ultimately Lex Luthor telling a senator "yeah you cant trust me" (or his piss)

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Saw it this morning, and, basically, I'm unable to tell you what the movie wants to say, but not in a neutral "here are two conflicting takes you can have on the story" way, since, well Captain America ends up being objectively correct about everything from Bucky being framed to Tony having to act outside the law. I think, ultimately, its thesis goes along the lines of "poo poo happens, you gotta deal with it, but, it's part of the job", which, in a film that's focused so much on the human consequences of superhero punch-outs, feels like a super cop-out.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Well that's disappointing, makes it not worth watching if it won't even stake out an opinion, right or wrong.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nobody is going to this movie expecting to have their worldview challenged or see a philosophical argument put forth, they're going to watch Captain America and Iron Man make quips while they punch each other with Spiderman cranking out quips in the background.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Posted this in CD but no one replied.

The leaked airport scene doesn't show how everyone got to there. It starts with Spider-Man already in the scene, where he says he's a big fan of cap. Like, are they all already there? I don't mind being spoiled, so if someone could explain the context and the set up for that sequence, I'd appreciate it :)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

teagone posted:

Posted this in CD but no one replied.

The leaked airport scene doesn't show how everyone got to there. It starts with Spider-Man already in the scene, where he says he's a big fan of cap. Like, are they all already there? I don't mind being spoiled, so if someone could explain the context and the set up for that sequence, I'd appreciate it :)

Cap and co. are trying to get to a vehicle so they can go stop the bad guys, but Tony and co. have locked down the airport and evacuated it to prevent them from going anywhere. Spider-Man is there because Tony went and recruited him in the scene prior. The immediate set up for that scene is Cap walking out across the open tarmac, and Iron Man's team surrounding him, then the rest of Cap's team spring a counter-ambush.

The reason why this is all happening is that just before, Bucky broke out of confinement, under the influence of the bad guys, and Cap stopped him from escaping/saved him from Tony's side.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
Just saw it and loved it.

Spider-Man was a fantastic addition, and while he is kinda shoe-horned in (if you consider the full scope of the movie), Marvel somehow manage to make it not feel like he's shoe-horned in (basically down to RDJ's charm in my opinion), which is impressive. He's a naïve, impressionable kid who can't stop gushing about how awesome he thinks everything is, rather than the wise-cracking rear end in a top hat we've come to expect. I just think Holland's character fits the MCU a lot better (and fills a niche that was otherwise missing, Stark being somewhat jaded and pessimistic), which is not to say that he outperformed Maguire or Garfield, it's just a different, refreshing take on the character, at least in cinema.

I don't have much to say about Black Panther, other than that his fight choreography was amazing, the actor was solid, and that, as a native to South Africa, being able to understand some of what he was saying while speaking "Wakandan", was pretty bizarre/funny.

Like others have mentioned, the whole Captain-America-turned-out-to-be-right-the-whole-time thing did feel a bit forced and off-putting at first, but then I remembered that it is a Captain America movie, specifically the sequel to Winter Soldier, so it didn't bother me as much as it otherwise might have (the ensemble-of-heroes-fighting thing is just a bonus, I guess).

If you can overlook some of the sillier plot elements, it's an insanely fun movie, and yeah, the fight-scenes are bonkers.

My favorite Marvel movie so far.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Neurolimal posted:

well yeah, the jar of piss has buildup and foreshadowing. It's ultimately Lex Luthor telling a senator "yeah you cant trust me" (or his piss)

This is my new favorite post

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What does Spider-Man bring to the table in battle? Is he overpowering a lot of people?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheeee posted:

Nobody is going to this movie expecting to have their worldview challenged or see a philosophical argument put forth, they're going to watch Captain America and Iron Man make quips while they punch each other with Spiderman cranking out quips in the background.

That's why I'm not going to it. At least Gods of Egypt followed through on its crazy premise to the batshit conclusion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The Dave posted:

What does Spider-Man bring to the table in battle? Is he overpowering a lot of people?

He makes a good account of himself.

He beats up on Falcon and Bucky, gets beaten by Cap and then takes down Ant-Man. There's a lot of partner switching in that action sequence, so it's a little hard to remember if he tussles with anyone else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

effectual posted:

That's why I'm not going to it. At least Gods of Egypt followed through on its crazy premise to the batshit conclusion.

It kinda sounds interesting enough for a matinee, but I'm going to be really busy the next few weeks so I'll probably miss it.

I've been missing a lot of films in the past year though. :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The exchange between Parker and Cap about where they're from in New York made me smile.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.

The Dave posted:

He seems to be superior in power to everyone on Cap's team (with the exception of Scarlet Witch who he doesn't actually fight directly, as far as I can recall), and holds his own pretty impressively.

e: whoa, thread moving fast now.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Big Government is Bad and Oppresses our Freedoms: The Movie

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Recoome posted:

Big Government is Bad and Oppresses our Freedoms: The Movie

Big Government is Bad and Oppresses our Freedoms: The Franchise

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Wheeee posted:

No, but, like, it's nice when movies bring up at least one argument, it's what makes them feel essential. Winter Soldier had this, with the whole "mass surveillance is hosed up and could be used for evil if we're not careful about that poo poo", which was timely and interesting as a response to Avengers' fetishism for spying on everyone all the time.

I didn't find any of that in Civil War, and I think it's poorer for it.

That, and also the action scenes are sometimes way too flashy for their own good, to the point where they're maybe too hard to parse?

And the reasoning explaining the whole last act is tenuous as all hell. Somehow, the Starks are the ones carrying the five pouches of Winter Soldier Juice, so Bucky kills them. And somehow, Cap thinks it's not worth telling Tony. And somehow, this is in the S.H.I.E.L.D. data Widow leaked, which, somehow, Tony hasn't looked into, while, somehow, Zemo did, and that's what sets the whole movie in motion

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Big Government is Bad and Oppresses our Freedoms: The Franchise

Well I mean more than usual Like when Capt Murica was unironically complaining that the Avengers couldn't have accountability because other people have agendas, and that other people couldn't be trusted.

I think the whole movie is just a big "America rises above global accountability everyone else sux".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just got back from the midnight showing here in the UK. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

I want to see more adventures of Cap, Falcon and Bucky in a VW Beetle.

If there was something that annoyed me, it's that we both got the scene/speech I wanted from the comics, but also not how I wanted it to play out. This moment from the comics Civil War:

I hated that it's not Cap saying it to Spidey in the film. It's not even Cap giving the speech, it's Sharon Carter/Agent 13 at Peggy's funeral.

Also Berlin airport looks nothing like that.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
the one thing that was unclear to me was why Hawkeye got out of retirement to join Captain America's team. I didn't understand his motivations at all.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

KidVanguard posted:

the one thing that was unclear to me was why Hawkeye got out of retirement to join Captain America's team. I didn't understand his motivations at all.

because he's a popular character, especially with women

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

The_Doctor posted:

Also Berlin airport looks nothing like that.

They were at Leipzig

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

quote:

Editor’s Note #3: We published a letter to our readers.

lol

This is a pretty good review actually, in that he actually articulates his thoughts on the film.

It's also worth checking out the comments section for an entertaining glimpse at the mental illness that is fanboyism.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I thought the was movie wasn't very pro America. If anything it was pro PMC. The whole argument is that governments have armies, which while having internal legislation, also are regulated by the public and accountable to the public. However the public, via the government can have agendas and use the military to do things to pursue their agendas and thus ultimately flawed. People themselves ate also flawed but Captain America felt like the people he brought on were trustworthy and could make decisions without oversight of anyone but themselves. Kind of weird as he's a soldier but given the events of the previous film it makes sense. Iron Man, given previous events should also not be trusting in the government but in order to make up for Ultron he's willing to put himself on a leash.

The movie doesn't try to answer for the viewer who is actually right or wrong because from both perspectives they are. The climactic battle is about something else that ties into this but the ideology that both perspectives have is not what is ultimately fought over because there is no way to effectively answer all criticisms on either side. Instead there isn't a resolution because there's no middle ground that effectively would answer the criticisms raised on either side.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The argument that Tony has a character arc from being a libertarian to a communitarian is extra hilarious to me in light of this movie's revelation that actually he's wrong and dumb for ever taking that arc in the first place.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

KidVanguard posted:

Hawkeye probably feels like he owes Scarlet Witch something since her brother saved his life.

Also, I don't think he expected to end up in super bad-guy prison.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PaybackJack posted:

Instead there isn't a resolution because there's no middle ground that effectively would answer the criticisms raised on either side.

Actually, from what you describe, the film presents you with a false choice between working for the villainous Tony Stark or going 'off the grid'. Liberalism or libertarianism.

All the characters have resigned themselves to a liberal capitalist democracy that does not actually serve the people. A system that allows a nebulous mob of 'flawed people' to oppress the meek is obviously not truly democratic.

'Capitalism', in these films, is a love that dare not speak its name. Characters are constantly going on and on about Tony Stark's weapons, controlling his weapons, he shouldn't have made weapons, etc. Even when it make no sense to do so, people complain about Stark's weapons - and that's because the word 'weapons' is used in place of the word 'profits'.

Tony Stark is allowing the state to restrict the use of his weapons, but he will obviously never allow them to restrict his ability to profit. If anything, Stark is allowing the state to restrict the use of his weapons so that Stark Industries will be left to function as usual.

Note the obvious disparity between Iron Man being regulated, and Captain Falcon being regulated. They both have flying suits and guns, so they're equally dangerous, right? Just ignore that one is accumulating billions of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Burning Sensation posted:

Spider-Man was a fantastic addition, and while he is kinda shoe-horned in (if you consider the full scope of the movie), Marvel somehow manage to make it not feel like he's shoe-horned in (basically down to RDJ's charm in my opinion), which is impressive. He's a naïve, impressionable kid who can't stop gushing about how awesome he thinks everything is, rather than the wise-cracking rear end in a top hat we've come to expect. I just think Holland's character fits the MCU a lot better (and fills a niche that was otherwise missing, Stark being somewhat jaded and pessimistic), which is not to say that he outperformed Maguire or Garfield, it's just a different, refreshing take on the character, at least in cinema.
He's shoehorned, but it feels less awkward. I mean, it kind of makes sense that Stark would want to start recruiting unaffiliated superhumans to his side before Rogers could. Wonder Woman didn't have any reason at all to be in Batman v Superman.

• Locked thread