Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Tom Holland can crack a joke, for one.

His delivery is spot on for a young kid. The joke about Empire Strikes Back being a good example. Pretty much all his stuff was great.
Andrew Garfield was actually not bad but just had lovely movies to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
It was a typical Marvel movie: good action, wonky everything else. The story is thin as paper but the fights make up for it.

Also Paul Bettany gets a lot to work with and he makes it work very well.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think nothing got a harder laugh than "I've got homework!" during my showing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Just got back from seeing it, my favourite Marvel movie so far.

Pretty much everyone is great in it, though my top three would be Spider-Man, Black Panther and Ant-Man.

It is probably a bit too early to say, but from what i saw Tom Holland will be really good in the role, his Spider-man was what they wanted Andrew Garfield to be, but ruined with terrible writing.

I also really liked the Vision and Scarlet Witch relationship

Only thing i didn't like was how young Aunt May was, just felt weird to have a 40-50 year old play her

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm not sure why Marvel has tapped the Russo's for Infinity War. The running, jumping, shooty-punchy stuff in their movies is great (and like Winter Soldier, this is mostly running, jumping, shooty-punchy stuff, so it's a complete blast, enthusiastically recommended), but everything involving actual superpowers is dull. Whenever Ant Man and Spiderman were doing their thing I couldn't help thinking back to the far more dynamic and inventive set pieces from their earlier movies. Vision barely does anything in the airport showdown. These guys should be making Mission Impossible, Jack Reacher or Fast and Furious movies, not cosmic comic book fantasy adventures.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.

Oasx posted:

Only thing i didn't like was how young Aunt May was, just felt weird to have a 40-50 year old play her

Keeping in mind that Peter is 15, it sort of makes sense that his aunt would be closer to 40 or 50. It would be far weirder for her to be in her 60's or 70 in my opinion.

My nieces and nephews (of which there are 4) are all between the ages of 6 to 10, and I am 31.

If you just mean something along the likes of "she is an old lady in the comics", then I don't know what to tell you.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Saw this movie last night. IMAX 3D. I am Team Cap but my favorite character is Spidey. I cannot wait to watch this movie again. Not 3D this time. I think this may be my favorite MCU ensemble movie so far.

I liked
- all characters, new and old, did not feel shoehorned to me.
- I understood each character's motivation. I understood why they picked the side they are on. I am still leaning more towards Team Cap but Vision made a very good argument about why signing the Accord is a good idea. Their motivation felt true to my understanding of their character.
- the action scenes, especially the airport scene.
- even though this movie has so many characters in it, it did not feel crowded.
- It still felt like a Captain America movie.
- the story was not complex but the execution was really done well. I was still surprised by what was really in that video. Up to that point, I was anticipating that the heroes will be fighting the other winter soldiers. I felt bad for Tony and Cap and Bucky when they finally showed what was in the video. It was pretty horrifying to watch.
- It did not feel like 2.5 hours long. I wanted more.
- There was humor but it was in the right moments. Compared to GOTG or Avengers, the humor here is subtler. I wish they do a short of Cap, Bucky and Sam going on a road trip in a beetle.

I am not sure of
- there were shaky cam moments during some fight scenes. Especially hard to follow if watching 3D. Maybe it will look better when I watch it in 2D.
- Peggy's niece and Cap. I forgot she was in Winter Soldier as Cap's neighbor. The kiss just felt out of nowhere for me. I have nothing against her being Peggy's niece.

I am looking forward to the solo Spider-Man and Black Panther movies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A lot of punching. Couldn't see much because of the 3D and bad seats. Spiderman was probably the best Spiderman we've had yet.

Also it was very very long.

Also today I learned that grown large men will unironically argue over teams of superheroes without noticing or caring about the very real politics behind it.

stev fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 30, 2016

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Pirate Jet posted:

What makes this one "right" other than corporate synergy because there's no way in hell it tops McGuire

Garfield was a step up, McGuire was always awful *not my spiderman*

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

agatona posted:

- the story was not complex but the execution was really done well. I was still surprised by what was really in that video. Up to that point, I was anticipating that the heroes will be fighting the other winter soldiers. I felt bad for Tony and Cap and Bucky when they finally showed what was in the video. It was pretty horrifying to watch.

Bats v Supes has gotten a lot of flack for being too violent, but it contains nothing as brutal as that sequence or the final smackdown between Tony, Cap and Bucky (nothing that merits an R-rating, but this is a more solidly PG-13 movie than a lot of other Marvel stuff).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It was a bit too long and unfocused, and I preferred Winter Soldier. Still a good time, though.

Spider-Man and Antman have literally nothing to do with the story and could be excised without changing anything, however they bring some much needed levity and their fight scenes are among the movies' highlights. The kid playing Spidey does a great job and I'm looking forward to his solo movie. Panther looked great and his actor did a decent job, but his motivation is paper thin and we don't really get to know him at all.

Apart from the main bad guy I'd say the biggest villain of the movie is Stark. I mean seriously, he manipulates a 14-15 year old boy to join his fight, risking his life. Sure he tells him to keep his distance but still. Not cool. If Potts hadn't already left him that would probably have done it.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

Bats v Supes has gotten a lot of flack for being too violent, but it contains nothing as brutal as that sequence or the final smackdown between Tony, Cap and Bucky (nothing that merits an R-rating, but this is a more solidly PG-13 movie than a lot of other Marvel stuff).

It's the psychological impact. I'm immune to action movie violence of heroes vs bad guys shooting or fist fights.

The War Machine scene too.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Saw this today. Enjoyed it a lot, though would probably rank it below The Winter Soldier. Cap basically doesn't have a character arc in this film. He's the same character he is at the end as he was in the start, just in different circumstances. Perhaps that's the point.

The main thing I noticed though was just how weird the big central airport fight was. It was completely out of tone of the rest of the movie, which was otherwise fairly serious, and in fact had an air of sadness hanging over it as it became inevitable that these friends would be forced into conflict. Then suddenly Tony goes to visit Peter Parker, and despite having a clearly visible black eye from the harrowing events earlier, is all jokey, and Spidey himself is a purely comic character in this. The actual big fight is extremely light-hearted, with on-point quips a-plenty. Then it all ends when Rhodey falls out of the sky which is treated with deep sadness, which seems odd since wasn't one of their friends dying or being grievously injured the likely outcome of all our heroes fighting? If Vision hadn't have missed with his blast wouldn't it have been Falcon falling and paralysing himself, and wouldn't that be just as bad?

Maybe the whole point is that the heroes like fighting and looking cool, but can't stomach the actual consequences of that. Someone could even interpret the whole sequence as a parody of the Avengers movies, maybe?
It's difficult as I'm hard-pressed to actually say it shouldn't have been in the film as it was great fun and I really enjoyed it, and if it had been presented as seriously as the rest of the film it could well have been simply ridiculous. But it definitely sticks out.

Until that sequence though I had a theory that if TWS was the Russo's tribute to 70s political thrillers, then this might be a tribute to more contemporary political thrillers, in particular the Bourne films. The particularly noticeable shakey-cam in fights seemed like an homage of Greengrass' style, and there were at least two action moments that seemed to directly reference some in the Bourne trilogy, though in amped up, superheroised form: the fight in the stairwell after they leave Bucky's flat reminded me of the stairwell fight at the end of the Bourne Identity, and the moment soon after that when Bucky jumps between the two buildings seemed to be an obvious take on the famous shot in the Bourne Legacy when he jumps through the window and the camera follows him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Rhodey tells Vision to 'turn him into a glider', so no, Vision was just trying to disable Falcon's thrusters, not injure him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just got home, was a pretty great movie, especially since it draws from one of the dumbest comic crossovers in recent years. With added stuff about Bucky, they made the conflict a lot less idiotic, just by creating a reason why they could just sit down and talk this out. It's still a bit wonky, especially on Cap's side, but compared to the comics, its genius.

I was also really impressed with the final fight. You could actually understand why either of them were reacting the way the did. And while I agree the the villain, in typical Marvel fashion by now, is pretty lackluster, I do really like his plan, both in universe and as an alternative to the usual escalation of superpowers we get.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

e X posted:

Just got home, was a pretty great movie, especially since it draws from one of the dumbest comic crossovers in recent years. With added stuff about Bucky, they made the conflict a lot less idiotic, just by creating a reason why they could just sit down and talk this out. It's still a bit wonky, especially on Cap's side, but compared to the comics, its genius.

The problem with adding Bucky is that by resolving that conflict, they haven't actually addressed the real issues that they were upset over in the first place. Are the Accords going to be reversed in another movie/TV show, or are all non-government superheroes going to be criminals for the foreseeable future? Or do they expect us to forget?

Did Spiderman sign this thing banning him from helping out without UN permission? Are the ones that did sign it seriously going to stick to that?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Comrade Fakename posted:

Then suddenly Tony goes to visit Peter Parker, and despite having a clearly visible black eye from the harrowing events earlier, is all jokey, and Spidey himself is a purely comic character in this. The actual big fight is extremely light-hearted, with on-point quips a-plenty. Then it all ends when Rhodey falls out of the sky which is treated with deep sadness, which seems odd since wasn't one of their friends dying or being grievously injured the likely outcome of all our heroes fighting? If Vision hadn't have missed with his blast wouldn't it have been Falcon falling and paralysing himself, and wouldn't that be just as bad?

Maybe the whole point is that the heroes like fighting and looking cool, but can't stomach the actual consequences of that. Someone could even interpret the whole sequence as a parody of the Avengers movies, maybe?

So what you're saying is that the middle section of the film is a remake of The Dog Who Stopped The War, with adults. And Don Cheadle in the role of the dog.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Steve2911 posted:

The problem with adding Bucky is that by resolving that conflict, they haven't actually addressed the real issues that they were upset over in the first place. Are the Accords going to be reversed in another movie/TV show, or are all non-government superheroes going to be criminals for the foreseeable future? Or do they expect us to forget?

Did Spiderman sign this thing banning him from helping out without UN permission? Are the ones that did sign it seriously going to stick to that?

Sure, but, to me at least, that particular thing is such an integral part of superhero mythology that you should keep it as far away from any kind of real world logic as possible, so I am pretty happy that they essentially ignored it after the opening act.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Forced comparison to the plot of another film. Regurgitation of Zizek. Blah blah capitalism. Let me tell you how this is about God.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

TFRazorsaw posted:

Forced comparison to the plot of another film. Regurgitation of Zizek. Blah blah capitalism. Let me tell you how this is about God.

Once you recognize his shtick it comes across as emptier than any of the Marvel movies.

Except the Avengers films. :v:

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Before I saw the film, I was 100% Team Cap. After watching the film, that changed but I am still mostly Team Cap. I think there should be some oversight but I don't think heroes need to go through bureaucracy to save the world should especially if time is of the essence. And what if the oversight committee is corrupt?

Did your stance change or stayed the same after watching the movie?

I am excited to see the next MCU film just to see more of the impact of the Accord.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

agatona posted:

I am excited to see the next MCU film just to see more of the impact of the Accord.

This will be slightly interesting. Let's look at the films between now and Infinity War:

Doctor Strange - seems to be an origin story, probably not too much direct impact.

Guardians 2 - probably nothing on Earth at all.

Spider-Man - This is still technically Sony's baby and I doubt you're going to see major crossover with MCU elements. So it'll probably be ignored.

Thor: Ragnarok - probably not on Earth at all (beyond picking up Hulk), and Thor wasn't part of this movie at all.

Black Panther - Might feature Cap & co cameos, but probably its own thing again.

In summary, I doubt it will be referenced much, if at all. Best bets are probably Black Panther and Spider-man in that order, and probably not in the latter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I suspect it'll have just as much impact as every other thing that was totally going to change the status quo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Guardians 2 - probably nothing on Earth at all.

Given what we know about Nathan Fillon's cameo, I think there'll be some earth action.

quote:

I suspect it'll have just as much impact as every other thing that was totally going to change the status quo.

You mean all the things that have stuck and influenced the plot of what follows after? HYDRA, SHIELD, Ultron? Those things?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Insistence that canon is sacred. You can't disagree with me because I have autism and that makes you ableist. If I can't prove this movie is bad and you're dumb for like it I'll prove that it's sexist and you're an rear end in a top hat for liking it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

You can't disagree with me because I have autism and that makes you ableist.

Gollyjeewilickers, I'm sorry for admitting I have limitations and for challenging people's rights to mock the underprivileged by saying that it's wrong to use the r-word as an insult.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Pirate Jet posted:

Insistence that canon is sacred. You can't disagree with me because I have autism and that makes you ableist. If I can't prove this movie is bad and you're dumb for like it I'll prove that it's sexist and you're an rear end in a top hat for liking it.

Never attribute to an actual disorder that which can be adequately explained by lack of intelligence.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Given what we know about Nathan Fillon's cameo, I think there'll be some earth action.

You mean all the things that have stuck and influenced the plot of what follows after? HYDRA, SHIELD, Ultron? Those things?

I do agree that Hydra being a good source of stock villains where good German actors collect paychecks for easy work really did change the status quo of the Marvel Universe.

Shield is gone! wait, no, it's back.

The guilt from creating Ultron affected Stark so badly that he did exactly the same thing again before the movie ends.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don't approve of when people use that word either but that's vastly different from insisting that any portrayal of the handicapped or the underclass whatsoever is immediately ableist.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Shield is gone! wait, no, it's back.

There's still lasting changes for the show going on, and I wouldn't call a small building of support staff and a helicarrier that's repurposed as a flying bus as the full, sweeping resurrection of an intelligence organization.

quote:

The guilt from creating Ultron affected Stark so badly that he did exactly the same thing again before the movie ends.

It pretty much forms a large part of the foundation for this movie, so.

quote:

I don't approve of when people use that word either but that's vastly different from insisting that any portrayal of the handicapped or the underclass whatsoever is immediately ableist.

This isn't the BvS movie, so this doesn't really belong here, and I don't see how this relates whatsoever to your accusation that I use it as a shield.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The point is that you're accusing other posters of being predictable, but you're throwing stones from a glass house.

I am only referencing your arguments on BvS because you referenced SMG's arguments on BvS.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That individual has already weighed in on this movie, and was prompted by a comparison to another several posts prior.

But sure, fine, make fun of me. The mocking could stand to be a bit more accurate, though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
What happened in AoU is actually extremely important and is referenced all the time in Civil War. Comparisons to BvS is inevitable since they deal with very similar themes.

The movie is kind of interesting in that it actually admits that the team screwed up spectacularly in AoU. In the end I'd say Tony Stark was right in a way. They need to be held accountable for their actions. Cap is right in that Bucky wasn't responsible for his actions. And there is no way he would ever do something he doesn't agree with. Him leaving Avengers in official capacity was the logical conclusion.

I enjoyed the ending. The characters stay themselves and follow their convictions. This causes some major friction but still it's apparant that they care about each other. The last couple lines has probably spawned a dozen pieces of slash fiction already.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's still lasting changes for the show going on, and I wouldn't call a small building of support staff and a helicarrier that's repurposed as a flying bus as the full, sweeping resurrection of an intelligence organization.
considering that's pretty much their only contribution to the Avengers: One helicarrier that gets some people places, I would.

TFRazorsaw posted:

It pretty much forms a large part of the foundation for this movie, so.
Eh, along with everything else that's happened and everything that Stark has done.

Any criticism is also undercut by Vision's existence.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wait, so who is actually, officially in The Avengers as of this film's ending?

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

agatona posted:

I am not sure of
- there were shaky cam moments during some fight scenes. Especially hard to follow if watching 3D. Maybe it will look better when I watch it in 2D.

Sadly, the shakey cam is not any better in 2D. It pretty much ruined a few of the early fight scenes by making them blurry and hard to tell what was happening. Shakey-cam usually doesn't bother me that much, so I'm not sure what they did that made it so poo poo.

Fun movie apart from that, though,

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Steve2911 posted:

Avnegers Team: Iron Man, War Machine (crippled), Vision, Spider-Man could technically be on the reserve list

Captain America frees Falcon, Hawkeye, AntMan, and Scarlet Witch from prison and flee to Wakanda. Black Widow just leaves on her own, and isn't shown reconnecting with Captain America, though it could be assumed that she would.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 30, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Steve2911 posted:

Who can really tell?

Iron Man group: Iron Man, Spider-Man, Vision with War Machine on the bench. Also, Thor if he returns to Earth and is okay with the Accord.
Captain American group: Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, Ant-Man with Winter Soldier on the bench. Hawkeye can probably no longer return to retirement at this point.
Black Panther might be part of both groups or just do his own thing.
Same goes for Black Widow, although I don't know if she's still welcome at the Iron Man parties.
Hulk doesn't have time for all that poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PaybackJack posted:

Avnegers Team: Iron Man, War Machine (crippled), Vision, Spider-Man could technically be on the reserve list

This is a poo poo team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

computer parts posted:

This will be slightly interesting. Let's look at the films between now and Infinity War:

Spider-Man - This is still technically Sony's baby and I doubt you're going to see major crossover with MCU elements. So it'll probably be ignored.

In summary, I doubt it will be referenced much, if at all. Best bets are probably Black Panther and Spider-man in that order, and probably not in the latter.

I thought it was pretty much announced that Tony Stark is in this?

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/robert-downey-jr-to-appear-in-spider-man-homecoming-1201758355/

Probably not a massive role but it could reference things that happened.

• Locked thread