Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

dammit just my luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What's that gaseous status effect you get in the Edo Castle sewers?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
It means you're sick (from the sewage) and taking an elixir will make william puke, reducing the amount healed and, well, locking you in a vomiting animation for a second

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It means you touched the poo.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Finally got the DLCs, and a week off between summer and fall classes to go through them. Odachis are my new favorite weapon type. mid stance is surprisingly quick and is really good for dealing with groups, high stance lets you do a lot of damage from a long range, and the sword-vault attack owns. Also I was surprised at how quickly you gear up in way of the demon missions. Once I unlocked the region that has the mission where you duel the ninja frog I farmed that mission for items for about a half hour and came out of it with a new set of lvl >180, +10 and up gear for the sets I wanted. Switched from light to medium armor and added around 500 defense, and came out of the farming with a level 191 +14 Odachi with around 1850 total attck, and around 1750 on dual swords.

I wish you didn't need to buy the DLCs to play the higher difficulties though. That seems kind of lovely on their part imo.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You don't need any DLC for NG+, do you need it for NG++ and higher?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

You don't need any DLC for NG+, do you need it for NG++ and higher?

Yeah

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I've learned that mid-stance spear thrust + backwards dodge + repeat makes fights against most human AI an easy affair since they're locked into pursuing you at that distance.

The mid-stance spear leg trip is my fave move by far.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm just now finding my stride with this game about 2/3rd of the way through NG. I figure there is much more to do in the game if I'm interested in NG+? This is definitely not the most accessible of games, but once it clicks it's pretty drat addicting.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm just now finding my stride with this game about 2/3rd of the way through NG. I figure there is much more to do in the game if I'm interested in NG+? This is definitely not the most accessible of games, but once it clicks it's pretty drat addicting.

NG+ has a rarity tier for items and upgrading equipment through Soul Matching

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

NG+ has a rarity tier for items and upgrading equipment through Soul Matching

Any new story beats?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Everything is the same except for loot and difficulty. The last difficulty they added has some remixed enemies like ninja dogs in the first village and some interesting high end gear.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

NG+ and beyond are for those who want to optimize their builds or like doing coop a lot as it's really fun on higher levels

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Co-op is really loving good in this game and can become really funny with two dumb (and by dumb I mean the many strong as gently caress) builds.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Marogareh posted:

Everything is the same except for loot and difficulty. The last difficulty they added has some remixed enemies like ninja dogs in the first village and some interesting high end gear.

Even in NG+ enemy placement is different.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Interesting. Not that I should care, but is NG+ tied into the platinum trophy?

I need to buy a copy of the game - my friend has loaned me it and I definitely want it for my collection.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Interesting. Not that I should care, but is NG+ tied into the platinum trophy?

I need to buy a copy of the game - my friend has loaned me it and I definitely want it for my collection.

As far as I remember, you can absolutely get the plat entirely on NG

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Unfinish3d posted:

As far as I remember, you can absolutely get the plat entirely on NG

Cool. I'm literally right at the end boss snake head bastard. I guess that will roll right in to NG+.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

There's another mission (the Queen's Eyes) that unlocks once you beat Yamato-no-Orochi that has a couple of trophies tied to it. So make sure to do that before moving onto NG+ if you're going for the plat.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm kinda over Nioh. I'm probably about 3/4 through (Kelley just unleashed that big monster) and am over the unvarying enemy types and situations. I don't feel I've learned any new dimensions to combat or enemies in a good while and am just going through the motions to get to the cool boss fights. It lacks the sense you get in Dark Souls that you've transformed into a beefcake and feel more powerful with every level up and swing of your weapon.

Also that side mission where you have to fight two bird people at once is loving aggravating. I managed it once but got killed by the next enemy and threw in the towel.

Good game overall.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

snoremac posted:

It lacks the sense you get in Dark Souls that you've transformed into a beefcake and feel more powerful with every level up and swing of your weapon.

Get a better build? I very much had that feeling while playing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How long you enjoy Nioh for pretty much comes down to how technical you like getting with the combat. There's a lot to play around with once you have a lot of skill points, all sorts of cancels, smoothly switching between weapons for extended combos, timing ki pulses to extend your combos even further, working in defensive/evasive skills to extend the time you can attack, etc. But if you just go for what's effective you'll get bored quickly since the enemies, while more complex than something like Dark Souls, are still fairly simple considering how few unique types there are.

That's my take on it, anyway.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Magus42 posted:

Get a better build? I very much had that feeling while playing.

It's not that I'm having trouble. It's that fighting the same enemy types while they level up alongside me, with little change beyond modified skins and a couple of additional attacks, makes my increased strengths largely invisible to me. The poison-vomit yokai take nearly as many attacks to take down now as at the start of the game, while the firewheels are as much of a poo poo as they always were.

Genocyber posted:

But if you just go for what's effective you'll get bored quickly
Yeah, that's basically me from about the halfway point, except against bosses, which are a blast to strategize over. If something works, I don't see the point in shifting gears.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 31, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that the game kind of sags when it comes to making you feel like you're getting more powerful as you level up. That's not necessarily a bad thing on paper, because it means there's a really good power curve between you and the enemies. The problem is that you're never ahead of the curve, you're always on the curve.

You and the enemies both scale up at the same rate, meaning if you're progressing as the game expects you to, the difficulty is going to be constant and unchanging throughout- just with bigger numbers. NG+ sort of solves this problem by loosening the reins a bit so that there's more variation in enemy difficulty to match your higher gear levels/stats, but the first playthrough can be kind of a slog because it never really gets any harder, just ever so slightly more tedious.

edit: It's the reverse of the Borderlands problem. In Borderlands, enemies' health and damage ramps up so sharply that by the end of the game they have tens of thousands of health and both you and they do thousands of damage to match. In Nioh the curve is so dull until NG+ that it barely makes a difference.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 31, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, it's missing those little shots of adrenaline you get in RPGs when you beef up your stats and start owning enemies until they gradually catch up to your level. I need my fix!!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

why do the enemies respawn its really annoying

what are some pro tips for a new nioher beyond learn to ki pulse

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ramadu posted:

Ki Pulse some more.

Use your Onmyo skills liberally.

Kekkai Talisman autopurges Yokai realms and boosts ki recovery
All the elemental spells are really good for debuffing strong enemies. Two elemental debuffs trigger Confuse debuff that makes the enemy flinch constantly
Quick Change Scroll is extremely abusable if you get 2 pieces of the Iga Ninja set. You'll practically never run out
-Backwave Katana skill breaks most human opponents and Revenants. Odachi is also good against samuraimen

If you run into a tough spot there's usually a patent solution so just ask in the thread

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 31, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The passive skills which say you can "ki pulse while dodging" ACTUALLY mean "you automatically ki pulse when you dodge".

It's a huge, huge difference in fights. Prioritise those skills.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

poptart_fairy posted:

The passive skills which say you can "ki pulse while dodging" ACTUALLY mean "you automatically ki pulse when you dodge".

It's a huge, huge difference in fights. Prioritise those skills.

This is the most important thing in my opinion. I didn't take it because it seemed poo poo, then I took it late and was like what the gently caress that's not what the box says.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Ramadu posted:

Because you touched the shrine :)

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Ramadu posted:

in addition to what others have said -

try and be in the right stance for what you want to be doing defensively. You should only really be in high stance when you're free to unload on something, because of how much slower dodging is and how much more ki blocking costs. If you're in a situation where you're blocking a lot prioritize mid stance, switch to low stance when you're focusing on dodging and maneuvering around an enemy.

moment talismans/guardian spirit talismans can be very powerful for stunning enemies, straight up knocking them down (Daiba-Washi), and applying elemental effects.

and a bit of information the game doesn't make very obvious at all - what the elemental effects actually do:
fire is just DOT, pretty standard
water reduces enemy defense a little bit
wind reduces enemy attack
lightning is a slight slow effect
earth makes enemies take more ki damage I think (I've never used earth much someone feel free to correct me on this)

Revins fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 31, 2017

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Oh, the skill that gives you more ki when you switch stances during a ki pulse is super good, and you should try and make switching stance every time you ki pulse a habit once you get it, even if you're just going to immediately switch right back to whatever stance you were previously in, because the amount of extra ki you get is super helpful in letting you keep pressure on enemies

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Unfinish3d posted:

Oh, the skill that gives you more ki when you switch stances during a ki pulse is super good, and you should try and make switching stance every time you ki pulse a habit once you get it, even if you're just going to immediately switch right back to whatever stance you were previously in, because the amount of extra ki you get is super helpful in letting you keep pressure on enemies

Flux is really good if you have quick fingers.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I got this at launch but got distracted by other games shortly after the first boss. Trying to get back into it now, is there like a quick list of any changes since launch I need to know about? Did people ever figure out how stats worked or is the plan still to dabble a little in everything and keep bumping up whatever scales with my weapon or whatever?

I don't need anything too in depth unless it's a big difference, it's not like I even got that far before. I know the basics like stacking elements for massive damage, or buying the skills for auto pulsing on dodge, or unlocking passive skills for a weapon I might not be using since some of them activate regardless of weapon type, to give an idea of where I'm at right now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

I got this at launch but got distracted by other games shortly after the first boss. Trying to get back into it now, is there like a quick list of any changes since launch I need to know about? Did people ever figure out how stats worked or is the plan still to dabble a little in everything and keep bumping up whatever scales with my weapon or whatever?

I don't need anything too in depth unless it's a big difference, it's not like I even got that far before. I know the basics like stacking elements for massive damage, or buying the skills for auto pulsing on dodge, or unlocking passive skills for a weapon I might not be using since some of them activate regardless of weapon type, to give an idea of where I'm at right now.

It's highly recommended to put 30 points both in Magic and Ninjutsu to get all the Dojo missions and maximum spell carrying capacity. If you like using lots of spells you can go over 30 for more skill points and power. You want to keep leveling your Spirit as you get new Guardians to use their abilities (I think you currently need 33 spirit for the final dlc guardian)

You should pump all other stats to at least 10 for some quick stat boosts. After that the most important stats are Stamina for extra weight limit and whatever stat your weapon specializes in.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
In my run I also had to pump various other stats to about 17 or so to satisfy armor requirements.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

WaltherFeng posted:

It's highly recommended to put 30 points both in Magic and Ninjutsu to get all the Dojo missions and maximum spell carrying capacity. If you like using lots of spells you can go over 30 for more skill points and power. You want to keep leveling your Spirit as you get new Guardians to use their abilities (I think you currently need 33 spirit for the final dlc guardian)

You should pump all other stats to at least 10 for some quick stat boosts. After that the most important stats are Stamina for extra weight limit and whatever stat your weapon specializes in.

You only need 20 to get the final dojo missions; everything past that is carrying capacity.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sweet, thanks!

I noticed there's dlc out, am I cool following the soulsborne method and ignoring it until endgame or is it going to add stuff I want immediately?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I don't have the DLC, but my understanding is it's all end-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Sweet, thanks!

I noticed there's dlc out, am I cool following the soulsborne method and ignoring it until endgame or is it going to add stuff I want immediately?

The DLCs will add two weapon types you wouldn't otherwise have access to, so if you're planning on buying the DLCs you may as well throw them on immediately, and then just roll into the new missions once you finish the base game