Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've had less trouble with this game's camera than plenty of others, but my playstyle of picking things off from a distance before they become a problem usually means that I don't really fight in enclosed spaces as much as someone else would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Also finally figured out why my clan for clan battles didn't want any of the master swordsman's armor set pieces they were requesting. Because there are two separate 'master swordsman's' sets. Great translation work. AAA++ would properly pronounce 'giant toad' again.
Also it's weird to me that nioh 1 seemed to have so many more active players and visitors avalible last month in comparison to nioh 2, but I guess there's a few factors there, like nioh 1 has a completed cycle and the end game difficulties added, so folks needed divine gear, ochoka cups, and amrita from helping folks. It also didn't hurt that nioh 1 was old enough folks picked up the goty set cheap, and the base game was free with ps+
This time around the blue graves reduce that need a little and there's not quite the finalized endgame yet. Hell we've got a new chapter just added so folks are probably running through that instead of farming co-op.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 20, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

I hope the time-travel gimmick of the DLC means we eventually get to throw down with Tamamo-no-Mae. Doesn't seem right to only face off against two of the Three Great Evils of Japan in one game, even if she sorta-kinda showed up in the Nioh 1 DLC.

I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't, since they explicitly show her escaping out the roof when they show Tokichiro waking them up. But so far the DLC has all been going back in time, so maybe that was just to plug the plothole of her showing up in Nioh 1's timeline?

Anyway, getting slightly better at stringing together fist attacks into what could loosely be considered combos:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1318080903537721346?s=20
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1318082462296248320?s=20

And abusing the giant charge shot while hiding behind 2 NPCs is a good time every time:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1318097939714220033?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecrQUJPAeOE

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Takes No Damage posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't, since they explicitly show her escaping out the roof when they show Tokichiro waking them up. But so far the DLC has all been going back in time, so maybe that was just to plug the plothole of her showing up in Nioh 1's timeline?

Yeah I just viewed that as a story link between the two games, since she's the final boss in 1 and sort of played up as being a big instigator of the strife following Hideyoshi's death.
But I'm totally all for them sticking with "gently caress it, we can do whatever we want here. Time travel it is." Hell, if they really wanted to do a part 3 set it in the future with all the major characters reincarnated in space Japan.
I recall reading Team Ninja wants to do a new IP for the PS5 though, so Nioh 2 might be all we get for this series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Besides, you just know that her soul core ability would be super cool.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tatarimokke continues to be the biggest piece of poo poo boss in the game. Nobody can convince me that loving fight actually has strategy and finesse to it. I beat him with fists and alone, but I'll be damned if I said I did it through some kind of skilled play or figuring out patterns or mitigating his bullshit. It was mostly just slamming my head into a wall until I got a good enough fight through that I could pop demon form at the end and wail on his rear end with a giant burning hammer until he died.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tatarimokke, like Gyuki, is mainly in the game so you can see what happens when you fire off Otakemaru's soul core ability and hit with everything.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Darth Walrus posted:

Tatarimokke, like Gyuki, is mainly in the game so you can see what happens when you fire off Otakemaru's soul core ability and hit with everything.

Which makes him rough the first time through when the best soul core you are likely to have is... snake boss? And that's not going to hit Tartiamakke's big dumb flying rear end more than once, or twice if you're really lucky on a knockdown. :saddowns:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So the new Lucky(weapon, armor, accessory) mod that can roll on accessories is fantastic. You can definitely see that it works when you are sorting through your armor and you have found a ton of whatever you are currently wearing. Everyone should definitely have all 3 mods on an accessory. And no they don't stack.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zaodai posted:

Tatarimokke continues to be the biggest piece of poo poo boss in the game. Nobody can convince me that loving fight actually has strategy and finesse to it. I beat him with fists and alone, but I'll be damned if I said I did it through some kind of skilled play or figuring out patterns or mitigating his bullshit. It was mostly just slamming my head into a wall until I got a good enough fight through that I could pop demon form at the end and wail on his rear end with a giant burning hammer until he died.

What's weird is the bird gave me like 0 trouble. Now it could just be I got lucky with RNG both times I fought it.
Though I do remember it was one of the first bosses where my ninjustu and omyo magic were pretty worthless since the game isn't very good about lock on with vertical movement.
Though I also did the fight with an ai companion eating up blows the first time.
What weapons are folks running and hating it? I was using dual swords and odachi with purity and poison I think

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Coolness Averted posted:

What's weird is the bird gave me like 0 trouble. Now it could just be I got lucky with RNG both times I fought it.
Though I do remember it was one of the first bosses where my ninjustu and omyo magic were pretty worthless since the game isn't very good about lock on with vertical movement.
Though I also did the fight with an ai companion eating up blows the first time.
What weapons are folks running and hating it? I was using dual swords and odachi with purity and poison I think

The first time I fought it on my initial playthrough I was running Odachi, which had an easier time than fists (and I beat it on the first try) but it was a near thing. I can beat him with enough tries, but it never feels like I actually beat the boss fight, I just won a random slot machine. Snake boss was hard the first time, but I figured out how to deal with each of his attacks, and it felt like progress. Owl boss is just a stupid rear end in a top hat who flies around doing random bullshit and his burst moves suck dick to try and counter (with Brute anyway) and his dark realm phase is punching orbs that poo poo out ghosts at you while he's also dive bombing you or throwing razors from the sky.

Every other boss in the game (prior to DLC, which I haven't fought yet), I felt like I could come up with a viable strategy for. There were some that were still bastards, but eventually it clicked and I felt like I beat them with skill. Owl boss I can't solve. It's just chaos with no discernable strategy except have bigger numbers and hope you survive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PSA: Watch out for the grace transference mods on gear. I accidentally hosed up one of my ranged weapons while soul matching it since I assumed it would need to have max familiarity in order for the grace transference to take effect. It did not. :negative:

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm running splitstaff and dual hatchets. I like every weapon besides the katana and switchglaive. I really dislike the katana.

Zaodai posted:

The first time I fought it on my initial playthrough I was running Odachi, which had an easier time than fists (and I beat it on the first try) but it was a near thing. I can beat him with enough tries, but it never feels like I actually beat the boss fight, I just won a random slot machine. Snake boss was hard the first time, but I figured out how to deal with each of his attacks, and it felt like progress. Owl boss is just a stupid rear end in a top hat who flies around doing random bullshit and his burst moves suck dick to try and counter (with Brute anyway) and his dark realm phase is punching orbs that poo poo out ghosts at you while he's also dive bombing you or throwing razors from the sky.

Every other boss in the game (prior to DLC, which I haven't fought yet), I felt like I could come up with a viable strategy for. There were some that were still bastards, but eventually it clicked and I felt like I beat them with skill. Owl boss I can't solve. It's just chaos with no discernable strategy except have bigger numbers and hope you survive.

:agreed: He can spend way too long in the air too or chain the air phases back to back quickly which is just terrible. At least it has a small hp pool. Some bosses on Dream of the Wise have ludicrous amounts of hp like Enenra.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 20, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:agreed: He can spend way too long in the air too or chain the air phases back to back quickly which is just terrible. At least it has a small hp pool. Some bosses on Dream of the Wise have ludicrous amounts of hp like Enenra.

Enenra would need all that HP, he's arguably the easiest boss. Even if he is a cool guy.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zaodai posted:

Enenra would need all that HP, he's arguably the easiest boss. Even if he is a cool guy.

See I really disliked the buffed version of Enenra you fight later, because yeah it's an easy fight, 'ah ha he's just as easy but if gets a combo off you die, and that's just more likely since you need to chip at a big bag of HP' is the least exciting kind of boss permutation to me.
Like a big scary dude that uses up a lot of your resources like Shuten Doji can be fun since there's enough variety in what he does.
I like Enenra's design, but also sometimes early bosses are meant to stay easy to show off how much better you are at the game now/how neat your toys are.
Also the ways I can think that would make Enrenra a more complex fight that fits his themes also already got used by other bosses. Like the whole smoke and shape-shifting boss absolutely should be the teleporting one or the boss that makes decoys imo

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 21, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Somebody remind me, is there anything you can't reset on your character? I know you can use the books to reset your level and you can reset your skills. Titles maybe? Though I thought you could reset those too. I'm just trying to think if there's any way I could end up inadvertently gently caress up a character. I'm drawing a blank, but my gut says there's one thing I'm overlooking. :thunk:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Zaodai posted:

Somebody remind me, is there anything you can't reset on your character? I know you can use the books to reset your level and you can reset your skills. Titles maybe? Though I thought you could reset those too. I'm just trying to think if there's any way I could end up inadvertently gently caress up a character. I'm drawing a blank, but my gut says there's one thing I'm overlooking. :thunk:

You can reset everything including titles. The game is meant to be played with one character so you can do whatever.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Zaodai posted:

There are books for levels and titles, and you can reset skills in the dojo, appearance is also completetly customizable at every moment. Technically you could waste some of the equipment if you consistently soul match weapons or armour without making them stronger, but the nature of the game makes the new items plentiful, so that's not a huge concern.

So in a word: no:)

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I did a couple of missions of DotW, and started playing DLC 2's missions in no particular order on DotD. I beat Yorimitsu in the first mission, the Giant Toad, and the Lightning Gods of Yomi in their shorter mission, but Ren Hayabusa is kicking my rear end seven ways to Sunday.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I finally got Hayabusa after smashing my head against him for a while, but I had to play lame and it didn't feel good. I had to rely on debuffing him when he was doing his AOE wind thingie, and then I used the splitstaff's high stance quick attack that has a pretty lingering hitbox to poke at him, and a lot of the time it would catch him when he was doing his dive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Patch 1.18 is out and here are some notes stolen from reddit:

quote:

-The number of skills that will appear on a Accessory on drop has been increased to match the amount that would be given to an Accessory via Stone of Penance

-If your Accessory has empty skill slots and placed into Penance for levelling up, the empty slots will get skills

-To prevent misinputs, 'Receive Stone' will be greyed out when you can choose to +1 the stone

-The 3 new ninja skills (giant fireball, wind blades, black hadouken) will consume the talisman usage immediately after use

-Visitors and characters from blue graves will receive lesser damage from enemies with Curse of the Wise

-Gaki's paralyze attack now causes Paralyze slower

-Ominous Pact will be in effect even with Sanctity Talisman

-Blacksmith: If Grace Inheritance is available during Soul Match, a message will pop up before you match

So basically bug fixes and some QOL stuff. No balance changes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Well the gaki one is a balance change that I think was pretty needed. Like it really sucked that you had to avoid knocking them down with a slow attack or long animation or else you might get insta-paralyzed. Though that's more of an early game problem.
I really hope they eventually do a balance pass on the really weak soul cores. Like there's no reason aberrant soldier should be locking you into such a long animation for what feels like damage rivaling a stone.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Came to check if an update had dropped. The game won't let me online, telling me to install the update file, but there's nothing in my Notifications list..... Team Ninjaaaaaaaaaaaa :kratos:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Takes No Damage posted:

Came to check if an update had dropped. The game won't let me online, telling me to install the update file, but there's nothing in my Notifications list..... Team Ninjaaaaaaaaaaaa :kratos:

I didn't have this issue with the Nioh update, but I've had situations in the past with other applications on PS4 where I've had to hit Options on them, close them manually, and then manually tell it to check for updates after that to get it to queue them.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

I didn't have this issue with the Nioh update, but I've had situations in the past with other applications on PS4 where I've had to hit Options on them, close them manually, and then manually tell it to check for updates after that to get it to queue them.

I did find that just now, that's how I learned I was out of HD space, again. So many Nioh video captures :sadwave:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
DotD Tsuchigumo on the Twilight Mission was pretty cool fight. He's super aggressive, and can seamlessly transfer to a combo if you avoid his leap attack, and if he catches you then you are dead, but he doesn't have that much HP. Also, since he's a huge target a number of Soul Cores really mess him up.

DotD Yorimitsu is one bad girl though. Her final phase has precious few openings and with the aftereffects of her attacks tracking you it is very easy to get hit when you think you should attack her.

Also, I know it has been said by many others before, but I love the claws. They are very effective and, more importantly, extremely fun. I am zipping around like a coked-up ball of murder and buzz-sawing through anything that crosses my path.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darth Nat posted:

I finally got Hayabusa after smashing my head against him for a while, but I had to play lame and it didn't feel good. I had to rely on debuffing him when he was doing his AOE wind thingie, and then I used the splitstaff's high stance quick attack that has a pretty lingering hitbox to poke at him, and a lot of the time it would catch him when he was doing his dive.

Think I got lucky and cleared him 2nd try, with how fast he was I can see getting stuck on him pretty easily. Does he have guaranteed skill drops? I got 3(!) when I beat him, which after farming other bosses for their weapon skill drops for a while seems like a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B4kY-cNWxg

Warden posted:

Also, I know it has been said by many others before, but I love the claws. They are very effective and, more importantly, extremely fun. I am zipping around like a coked-up ball of murder and buzz-sawing through anything that crosses my path.

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1319840372139450368?s=20

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

-The 3 new ninja skills (giant fireball, wind blades, black hadouken) will consume the talisman usage immediately after use

OWO what's this? I don't see any new nodes in the skill tree, or are these new techs that have to be gotten from boss drops? Actually I think I got 'giant fireball' from my Hayabusa fight, and I saw him doing something that is probably wind blades, as well as black hadouken. Love answering my own question as I'm typing it :downs:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Takes No Damage posted:

OWO what's this? I don't see any new nodes in the skill tree, or are these new techs that have to be gotten from boss drops? Actually I think I got 'giant fireball' from my Hayabusa fight, and I saw him doing something that is probably wind blades, as well as black hadouken. Love answering my own question as I'm typing it :downs:

They're all from that fight, since he does three different ninja projectile attacks. Hilariously when I beat him I got THE DROP as well has his fireball attack, the first time I'd ever gotten a skill-drop in Nioh 2 and I've been playing it since it came out. Even more hilariously it's on my character that uses the staff. I don't wanna talk about the amount of time I spent fruitlessly trying to get Benkei's skill to drop before the 2nd DLC dropped.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They're all from that fight, since he does three different ninja projectile attacks. Hilariously when I beat him I got THE DROP as well has his fireball attack, the first time I'd ever gotten a skill-drop in Nioh 2 and I've been playing it since it came out. Even more hilariously it's on my character that uses the staff. I don't wanna talk about the amount of time I spent fruitlessly trying to get Benkei's skill to drop before the 2nd DLC dropped.

Oh yeah, I looked up a build specifically to farm drops, max luck and item drop, lots of debuffs to shut bosses down, and it can still take 20+ tires to get a skill :( Thankfully it seems most of the skill drop bosses have individual duel missions so you don't have to play an entire level to get to them, and those that don't can get got with the 'quit to main menu' strat. Still a pain, I wish the skills were just locked behind bonus dojo missions or something.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Maybe its confirmation bias or the drops rates go up on Demon Dream, but it felt like the bosses in this DLC are more generous with their stuff than the ones in vanilla and Tengu. Raiko gave me her 360 sword slash after our second fight and Hayabusa gave me the same two you got in addition to his armor's smithing set.

Edit: Hayabusa on Demon was the hardest thing in either of these games for me so far and I was getting really frustrated during my maybe 30-40 attempts. Once I got him, I was pretty amused to look back and realize the things I kept dying to were the same 2-3 moves I used to cheap out bosses in Ninja Gaiden Black. lol sorry Doku, I see now why you were so mad

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 24, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Finally picked up Nioh 2 again after dropping it partway through the introductory mission. I beat the first boss (the horse demon) partially by dumb luck, because I forgot the buttons for the Yokai Counter.

Going through the first actual mission, I've gotten more of a handle the Yokai Abilities, though not a good handle yet. I'm so used to how the first game plays, I don't think to use them. The counter is useful, and a couple of the attacks seem like they're good against one-off enemies, but not so much bosses (unless they get more powerful later on).

The boss of the first actual mission (Enenra) gave me a lot of grief. I died 24 times before I finally beat him. There was a point where I went back outside and fought some of the respawned enemies and phantoms so I could try and get a couple of levels and better gear (wasn't so lucky with the latter). I think what made the difference was that I switched to the Shinobi Gear, so I was able to move faster and had more stamina.

I remember with Nioh 1, the early game was really hard, but once I started getting better gear and more abilities, the latter half was a lot easier. I feel like that's my problem right now, where bosses and larger enemies are hard to deal with because I can't dish out high damage as quickly as I'd like.

EDIT: Also, I noticed that since the update, the voiced dialog switched from English to Japanese. Is there a way to toggle between the two?

EDIT2: Watching the Nioh 2 video from FextraLife, I'm wondering if maybe I should switch to the 'Feral' Burst Counter when I get the chance. I think I picked Brute, but Feral sounds like it lets you dodge away from enemies.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 3, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nioh 2 will get easier with gear just like Nioh 1, but it'll also get easier as you learn the enemy patterns and stuff. The Horse boss was there to teach you about boss phases and not just trying to go in super ham, Enera is there to teach you about environmental stuff (and to reinforce that you don't want to just go in and go ham on bosses because you're probably not going to one shot them. :v: ).

It will be interesting to see if you have any issues with the next boss though, as that was my serious stumbling block the first time through. He's honestly not THAT bad, but he's different from both the first two so I banged my head against him like a wall for like 4 days.

[EDIT] As for Burst counters, Brute is by far the easiest to use. It has start up, sure, but it also has a ton of super armor and if you're in range you can pretty just mash Burst Counter as soon as you see the red aura. Feral is finnicky (though if you miss on the timing you tend to dodge, like you say) and Phantom requires more precision but doesn't have the start up time. Your counter type is based on your currently equipped guardian spirit so it's not a static thing you picked at game start or anything, you don't need to reroll.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 3, 2020

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Max Wilco posted:

Finally picked up Nioh 2 again after dropping it partway through the introductory mission. I beat the first boss (the horse demon) partially by dumb luck, because I forgot the buttons for the Yokai Counter.

Going through the first actual mission, I've gotten more of a handle the Yokai Abilities, though not a good handle yet. I'm so used to how the first game plays, I don't think to use them. The counter is useful, and a couple of the attacks seem like they're good against one-off enemies, but not so much bosses (unless they get more powerful later on).

The boss of the first actual mission (Enenra) gave me a lot of grief. I died 24 times before I finally beat him. There was a point where I went back outside and fought some of the respawned enemies and phantoms so I could try and get a couple of levels and better gear (wasn't so lucky with the latter). I think what made the difference was that I switched to the Shinobi Gear, so I was able to move faster and had more stamina.

I remember with Nioh 1, the early game was really hard, but once I started getting better gear and more abilities, the latter half was a lot easier. I feel like that's my problem right now, where bosses and larger enemies are hard to deal with because I can't dish out high damage as quickly as I'd like.

EDIT: Also, I noticed that since the update, the voiced dialog switched from English to Japanese. Is there a way to toggle between the two?

Under settings you should be able to change the language, though you have to quit for audio changes to take effect.
Having also only recently gotten into nioh 2 after immediately playing 1, there's the 'you suck at first since you don't have the basic tools' thing, some getting used to the new mechanics and frankly the math doesn't feel tuned right on NG. Like even overleveled the common enemies often felt like big bags of HP that took me multiple heavy weapon combos.
In nioh 1 NG, except for bosses the humans felt 'fair' their HP, Ki, and weapon damage seemed similar to yours, that doesn't quite apply in nioh 2.
The math feels 'right' once you get to NG+ though, where yeah you get punished and can even die to a grunt if you get hit by a single enemy combo, but you've got a decent ki pool and should have most of your tricks and a build coming together.
The soul cores are also just incredibly unbalanced. Yeah some are niche, but others are just flat out bad. Aberrant soldier stuck out in my mind like a decimal is off with its huge wind-up, root, and damage comparable to throwing a stone. Especially if you compare it to other ranged low cost cores like oni-bi, skeleton warrior toxic slime. Similarly for melee one-eyed oni, and yoki are just bad compared to nurikabe.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT] As for Burst counters, Brute is by far the easiest to use. It has start up, sure, but it also has a ton of super armor and if you're in range you can pretty just mash Burst Counter as soon as you see the red aura. Feral is finnicky (though if you miss on the timing you tend to dodge, like you say) and Phantom requires more precision but doesn't have the start up time. Your counter type is based on your currently equipped guardian spirit so it's not a static thing you picked at game start or anything, you don't need to reroll.
Another really important burst counter thing I didn't even realize until halfway through the game: Winded only locks you out of your normal attacks and movement, so all 3 bursts work as panic button if you ever run out of ki. If your timing is a little off Brute also can function as a weak attack, and Phantom as a regular block.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Nioh 2 will get easier with gear just like Nioh 1, but it'll also get easier as you learn the enemy patterns and stuff. The Horse boss was there to teach you about boss phases and not just trying to go in super ham, Enera is there to teach you about environmental stuff (and to reinforce that you don't want to just go in and go ham on bosses because you're probably not going to one shot them. :v: ).

It will be interesting to see if you have any issues with the next boss though, as that was my serious stumbling block the first time through. He's honestly not THAT bad, but he's different from both the first two so I banged my head against him like a wall for like 4 days.

I remember something I read that talked about how each boss in Nioh 1 taught you about different things. Like I said, me beating Horse boss was sort of a fluke, because I booted up the game, forgetting what point I was at, and then I just went up to the arena and did the fight. I've been saving my clips, so I'll try and post them at some point.

Sound like it would be best if I stick with Brute for now. The issue I have is that it seems like you have to be in the enemy's face in order to use it. What I eventually realized in the Enenra fight is that you can counter him when he's turned into the tornado.

I know there were some bosses I got caught up on in Nioh 1. The only one where I hit a major wall was Date Shigezane, but what I did (and what I think you're supposed to do) is get to a higher level and get some of the NG+ gear to tackle that mission, rather than doing it right out of finishing NG.

Honestly (and ashamedly), getting more levels and divine gear in NG+ was how I managed to beat the boss rush missions in NG, because I can't imagine beating some of those missions with the NG gear, unless you're just super-skilled.

Coolness Averted posted:

Under settings you should be able to change the language, though you have to quit for audio changes to take effect.

Having also only recently gotten into nioh 2 after immediately playing 1, there's the 'you suck at first since you don't have the basic tools' thing, some getting used to the new mechanics and frankly the math doesn't feel tuned right on NG. Like even overleveled the common enemies often felt like big bags of HP that took me multiple heavy weapon combos.

In nioh 1 NG, except for bosses the humans felt 'fair' their HP, Ki, and weapon damage seemed similar to yours, that doesn't quite apply in nioh 2.

The math feels 'right' once you get to NG+ though, where yeah you get punished and can even die to a grunt if you get hit by a single enemy combo, but you've got a decent ki pool and should have most of your tricks and a build coming together.

The soul cores are also just incredibly unbalanced. Yeah some are niche, but others are just flat out bad. Aberrant soldier stuck out in my mind like a decimal is off with its huge wind-up, root, and damage comparable to throwing a stone. Especially if you compare it to other ranged low cost cores like oni-bi, skeleton warrior toxic slime. Similarly for melee one-eyed oni, and yoki are just bad compared to nurikabe.

I sort of figured the EN/JP dialog option was under the main menu. I meant to check when I quit for the day, but I forgot.

I sort of get where you're coming from with the math not being quite right. It's been a while since I played Nioh 1 (and Soulsborne in general), but it does seem like enemies are a lot tougher.

I've not found many soul cores, but some of the ones I have found don't seem super-useful. However, it could just be that they aren't powered up yet.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you get stuck on a boss and you're just done with it's poo poo, summon help. The little blue friendly remnant piles can give you an extra body if you just need a little help or you can straight up summon other players from a shrine if you just want the motherfucker put in the ground no questions asked. If you do summon other players though, keep in mind the world is tied to you. They can be pounding the crap out of the boss but if you run in and get greedy and get one shot, the world ends right then.

As with how you eventually realized you could counter Enera's tornado (and his grab, but I prefer to dodge that since the penalty for misjudging it is higher) a lot of harder fights will come down to recognizing when you can burst counter their most dangerous attacks. Countering Enera's tornado also probably taught you (if the horse boss didn't) one of Brute counter's better points. You don't have to time it perfectly, you can burst counter and if you're a little late and you trade, if that attack doesn't straight up kill you, the target will still generally get interrupted and you win that trade. In Enera's case you might take a tick of fire tornado, but he gets slammed out of it and takes massive Ki damage for his trouble. Lots of other bosses (and harder yokai in general) are like that, so it's handy to know.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Coolness Averted posted:

Another really important burst counter thing I didn't even realize until halfway through the game: Winded only locks you out of your normal attacks and movement, so all 3 bursts work as panic button if you ever run out of ki. If your timing is a little off Brute also can function as a weak attack, and Phantom as a regular block.

Also an important addendum to this, you can use Yokai abilities, not just Burst Counters. If you have a quick startup disruptive Yokai Ability (Snake God was the king of this back at launch), you can use it as an expensive but relatively safe escape from being caught winded.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Zaodai posted:

If you get stuck on a boss and you're just done with it's poo poo, summon help. The little blue friendly remnant piles can give you an extra body if you just need a little help or you can straight up summon other players from a shrine if you just want the motherfucker put in the ground no questions asked. If you do summon other players though, keep in mind the world is tied to you. They can be pounding the crap out of the boss but if you run in and get greedy and get one shot, the world ends right then.

I actually did summon a blue revenant on a couple of attempts, but the summon would die not long into the fight, I'm guessing because the AI isn't good about dodging some of the attacks. However, it could also be that even with a distraction, I couldn't get damage out fast enough.

I don't know if I can summon other players, since I'm not subscribed to PSPlus right now, and I think that's necessary if you want to play online (I know it was in the original).

Zaodai posted:

As with how you eventually realized you could counter Enera's tornado (and his grab, but I prefer to dodge that since the penalty for misjudging it is higher) a lot of harder fights will come down to recognizing when you can burst counter their most dangerous attacks. Countering Enera's tornado also probably taught you (if the horse boss didn't) one of Brute counter's better points. You don't have to time it perfectly, you can burst counter and if you're a little late and you trade, if that attack doesn't straight up kill you, the target will still generally get interrupted and you win that trade. In Enera's case you might take a tick of fire tornado, but he gets slammed out of it and takes massive Ki damage for his trouble. Lots of other bosses (and harder yokai in general) are like that, so it's handy to know.

I know there were times I countered, but the timing was off and I took damage, but it did seem liked it was reduced. With Enenra, the tornado still seemed to mess me up pretty bad, even when I misjudged the counter, but I was panicking whenever that happened. I did dodge the tornado quite a lot before I learned I could counter it, but there were instances where I got hit by it. I thought that countering was more reliable, and it helped with getting damage in.

I guess it's just something that requires practice to get good at.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Also an important addendum to this, you can use Yokai abilities, not just Burst Counters. If you have a quick startup disruptive Yokai Ability (Snake God was the king of this back at launch), you can use it as an expensive but relatively safe escape from being caught winded.

Did they nerf the snake attack? I haven't played in ages, I got about halfway through at launch but I loved throwing the snake out and being like "Give em the snakes!" because it was so powerful and just bounced around killing everything.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

Did they nerf the snake attack? I haven't played in ages, I got about halfway through at launch but I loved throwing the snake out and being like "Give em the snakes!" because it was so powerful and just bounced around killing everything.

Yeah, the snake is still strong, but no longer a screen clearer. Kasha's fiery Beyblade on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Caesar Saladin posted:

They nerfed all the boss "I win" cores, but having only played since those nerfs, they're still big ol "I win" buttons at least through NG+. I haven't done the expansions yet though, so maybe they're less amazing there.