Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Calidus posted:

Oops yea this is what just did, I kept expecting it to end

That's what I thought you meant with the 'William at the end' comment, but then I couldn't remember if there was another random side mission in DLC2 where you saw him as well. Congrats on clearing it then, even dropping back down to NG difficulty it took me a while to grind through it, though it didn't help that I was trying out a cat-centric build with the armor and fists and stacking cattime and free bells so my DPS was a lot lower than my regular build.

Talking about Soul Cores, one of the great tragedies of the game is how not great the Scampuss SC is :(

Pylons posted:

So I moved up to Dream of The Demon and the game is really kicking my rear end. I'm doing a shock based melee build with 6 piece Golden Boy and 5 piece Warrior of The West but everything has so much health. Should I spend some time reforging my sets until I get some good star effects on them?

DotDemon is a huge increase in enemy HP, as well as starting in with the Cursed buff for them. At that point it becomes basically necessary to start laying on debuffs for them and buffs on yourself, you'll never get to a comfortable spot with straight DPS numbers. Put on some water or fire magic and hit them with that first, then light them up with your melee to trigger Discord (I still like that name better than Confusion :mad: ) and you'll start to burn HP bars down like usual again.

e:
Poison is also very powerful; throw some eggs at them or maybe some greasy ninja stars if you have good dex and the damage from that will make fights go a lot faster even if you don't put up any other debuffs on them.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The value of scampush is A) it’s an animation cancel grab dodger for non-feral players, and B) it’s the cheapest soul in the game so you can slot it in with 2 powerful souls to get a few more passive bonuses.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Takes No Damage posted:

DotDemon is a huge increase in enemy HP, as well as starting in with the Cursed buff for them. At that point it becomes basically necessary to start laying on debuffs for them and buffs on yourself, you'll never get to a comfortable spot with straight DPS numbers.
I disagree. I'm still doing pretty fine without relying on buffs/debuffs a lot. Though, my build is basically maxing out stats that increase the damage of my weapon first. You'll have to go for it specifically but it can be done. If this game is anything like the first I won't be able to keep this up past Dream of the Demon.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I feel like I would beat Rivals Return if I got good but it’s just so easy to trip up.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

I disagree. I'm still doing pretty fine without relying on buffs/debuffs a lot. Though, my build is basically maxing out stats that increase the damage of my weapon first. You'll have to go for it specifically but it can be done. If this game is anything like the first I won't be able to keep this up past Dream of the Demon.

Well trip/build report if you're able to pull it off. My builds have never been particularly min/max-y but I went from pretty easy cruisin' in NG+ to every yokai has a boss healthbar in NG++ until I got de/buffs up. Though eventually I found a pair of fire fists and stacked up a bunch of Damage+ to Scorched Enemies bonuses and that did seem to help a lot, but I think that wasn't until I got the extra bonus slots from Ethereal gear.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Looking at item drops, It seems like I should do as little of dream of strong as possible.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Takes No Damage posted:

Well trip/build report if you're able to pull it off. My builds have never been particularly min/max-y but I went from pretty easy cruisin' in NG+ to every yokai has a boss healthbar in NG++ until I got de/buffs up. Though eventually I found a pair of fire fists and stacked up a bunch of Damage+ to Scorched Enemies bonuses and that did seem to help a lot, but I think that wasn't until I got the extra bonus slots from Ethereal gear.

You can go without the buff/debuff style by using an axe and building for not giving a poo poo

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm using fists.

But their damage output has about reached their limit aside from increasing + levels. I think I'll still be able to get through Demon with it but any higher will be trouble. Without relying on de/buffs, that is.

It's not like I never use them at all but I don't need them for normal combat it's more of a "Oh, here's a cursed Yokai let's make this go a little quicker by popping some power pills and maybe using poison" kinda situation. Now that my Strength and Heart (my fists have a perk for more extra damage from heart) are maxed the main thing I can still do that'll give me any kind of meaningful growth is to invest in ninjutsu or onmyo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm using fists.

But their damage output has about reached their limit aside from increasing + levels. I think I'll still be able to get through Demon with it but any higher will be trouble. Without relying on de/buffs, that is.

It's not like I never use them at all but I don't need them for normal combat it's more of a "Oh, here's a cursed Yokai let's make this go a little quicker by popping some power pills and maybe using poison" kinda situation. Now that my Strength and Heart (my fists have a perk for more extra damage from heart) are maxed the main thing I can still do that'll give me any kind of meaningful growth is to invest in ninjutsu or onmyo

You don't have to use any particular weapon, really. The thing is, you're going to need to get some kind of bonus from somewhere, and that means you need to force the situation where that bonus works. If you don't want to be using items for buffs, which makes sense because it's kind of boring, then just get those bonuses from other stuff and pump the living poo poo out of some relevant stat. For example, if you have Ultimate Skill and/or Ultimate Courage, the nature of fists being very active with ki burst poo poo from Gong, Unbroken, and Unbowed makes it so your ki management and regen is ridiculously good. If you bother to drink a Sacred Water, you can just be relentless. If you're fighting something with a big hit, Opportunist lets you just straight up ignore one hit, so you can use that for at least a little safety.

Try going all out as a relentless ki-killing monster with a corruption weapon for the on-hit ki drain and use finishing flair for even further bullshit and see where that takes you.

If you really think there's nowhere left to go with that build, post it. I'm interested.

Also since you are guaranteed to have at least a little jutsu capacity, an easy way to get the most out of it despite not having much power behind the stats is to just use extraction talismans for something with heal on amrita gain. The heal doesn't really care how much amrita you got, so you can go hog wild with healing despite having no points spent in magic. For ninja skills, caltrops really don't care what your ninjutsu power is.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 28, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm using fists.

Do that. Unless you hit +120, there's always work to be done :v:. It's where the majority of your damage increase comes from.

Use more buffs and debuffs if you are struggling. Even just popping Barrier(onmyo spell) can make a huge difference as you basically have infinite ki while it's active. Fists are easily the most powerful weapon in the game, especially for how fast and how smooth their animations are. I am legitimately surprised they never nerfed fists or buffed up basically every other weapon to their level.

You should invest in Dex/ninjutsu anyways since fists do scale with Dex. Str is a terrible stat as the secondary benefit of max weight is basically non existent. May as well have slightly less attack(B+ str scaling vs C+ dex scaling) but you gain the option to use ninjutsu that will hit very hard so you can delete more annoying enemies or apply elemental debuffs via damage more easily.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 28, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Is there a way to invoke different weapon drops without having that weapon in hand?

More importantly, I picked up a scroll that says an enemy appearing is Ii Naotora? The only Ii Naotora I know is from Samurai Warriors , but when I googled: there's no trace of Naotora in Nioh? What the heck? What should I be expecting? I'm asking because I have to step out for work right now so I can't check right now but I'm dying to know!

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 28, 2021

MythicAlphabet
Mar 19, 2009

How should I know?
It's all Greek to me.

Morter posted:

Is there a way to invoke different weapon drops without having that weapon in hand?

More importantly, I picked up a scroll that says an enemy appearing is Ii Naotora? The only Ii Naotora I know is from Samurai Warriors , but when I googled: there's no trace of Naotora in Nioh? What the heck? What should I be expecting? I'm asking because I have to step out for work right now so I can't check right now but I'm dying to know!

I think she's a high-power spear-using revenant if I remember right. You find her summonable grave in one of the missions later on if you snoop around the dev-placed swords.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Morter posted:

Lucky Drop (weapon) is also weighted for whatever you have in your offhand / secondary weapon.

Unless you mean for a weapon you don't have equipped at all. Then no.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lucky Drop (weapon) is also weighted for whatever you have in your offhand / secondary weapon.

Unless you mean for a weapon you don't have equipped at all. Then no.

Yeah. Both (all for, actually) of my weapons, I depend on for the Ame grace, so if I hold something else even off-hand, I lose it.

But I don't have lucky drop weapon and all I get are fists and tonfas (my current weapons)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Weapons who have a primary or secondary stat of dex or magic seem like they are just better on paper. Your basically double dipping.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I'm sorry is that a good thing or bad thing? I'm not fully parsing it.

That said I prefer fists as one of my weapons but I want to change my splitstaff---I just happened to find a decent one with Ame Grace, AND lightning. Also got a Transfer Bonus: Dexterity on it,

Either way, I'm planning on changing it. Not sure to what though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Just an observation, and I was wondering if people agreed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Calidus posted:

Just an observation, and I was wondering if people agreed.

Weapons that scale off stuff other than dex allow you to scale them up with stats that aren't dex. Getting more hit points for using a weapon that scales off constitution is huge if you use Brute spirits.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I really want to like the Katana but I don't. I feel like all the basic attacks other than the high-stance attacks are not very functional. The weapons I like (Kusarigama, Odachi, Fists, Tonfa, Splitstaff, Switchglaive) have either a utility with the light and strong attacks and/or good 'after light/strong' combo attacks. I feel like while I can kill things with the Katana, I'm bad at flowing between attacks, being extra damaging, and keeping the pressure on enemies. I feel like I'm just flailing, slow and weak.

Even though Odachi is essentially a bigger katana, I have better control of it's attacks and its range, and shifting between stances with its Flux gimmick is really fun (I had a fun time in Nioh 1 doing low weak attacks and then smashing demon-horns with high strong attack). The other bigger weapons mentioned I've learned how to pummel and combo monsters. But for some reason the Katana just feels insufficient for me. It's not bad in the least, I just don't get it, an I hate that I don't :(

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Morter posted:

I really want to like the Katana but I don't. I feel like all the basic attacks other than the high-stance attacks are not very functional. The weapons I like (Kusarigama, Odachi, Fists, Tonfa, Splitstaff, Switchglaive) have either a utility with the light and strong attacks and/or good 'after light/strong' combo attacks. I feel like while I can kill things with the Katana, I'm bad at flowing between attacks, being extra damaging, and keeping the pressure on enemies. I feel like I'm just flailing, slow and weak.

Even though Odachi is essentially a bigger katana, I have better control of it's attacks and its range, and shifting between stances with its Flux gimmick is really fun (I had a fun time in Nioh 1 doing low weak attacks and then smashing demon-horns with high strong attack). The other bigger weapons mentioned I've learned how to pummel and combo monsters. But for some reason the Katana just feels insufficient for me. It's not bad in the least, I just don't get it, an I hate that I don't :(

Katana has some very good things going for it in the different stances, and if you're just sticking to high stance with katana, you might as well just use an axe/hammer. Low stance has an infinitely looping low quick attack, which lets you make short work of things that could otherwise be a pain in the rear end due to their speed. The little fox spirit guys can be stunlocked that way, for instance. Kick is mid stance, and it does really good ki damage, which helps you get really good use out of izuna drop and dragon fang against human enemies. Iai quickdraw should definitely be used, or some variant of it, because it does really good damage. The Night Rain variant is perfect for applying statuses from your weapon.

Basically though, when you're looking at weapons you don't "get", I recommend you look at what play style complements the stat distribution of your weapon. Strength is not a fantastic stat, but it is the second source of ki pulse improvement. Swords scale off of heart (max ki), skill (ki pulse improvement), and strength (second source of ki pulse improvement) in that order, generally. If you aren't modifying what bonuses the weapons have, distributing your stats for katana will mean you have a deep ki pool and get your ki back through full ki pulses, not just from recharging. They are all about getting in with a big combo that takes up a lot of ki to do, and then getting that ki back. You could make the assumption that all the weapons are like this, but they really aren't. For example, axe actually rewards you for running yourself out of ki or standing in those drat yokai realm circles. Weapons that use Courage instead will often have stuff that cuts off the amount of ki you can get out of a ki burst, like how fists have Limitless, which just destroys your ki bar and you have to wait for it to recharge normally.

Ultimately, the flow of katana is just much more about using an appropriate amount of ki and pausing between your chains to get your ki back completely, instead of just pushing. Ultimate Heart gives you more ki back when you ki pulse, which allows you to get away with less skill and strength. Try using Iai Quickdraw, Night Rain, or Tiger Sprint as your ki pulse from time to time. Having Iai Quickdraw II makes the attack unblockable by humans if you fully charge it, Night Rain is good for applying statuses, and Tiger Sprint is the one you use for raw damage and a little mobility. Because ki pulse happens when you hit R1, it flows seamlessly from a ki pulse. Use Shockwave talismans to get a quick hit in from the ki pulse itself.

edit: I wanna just point out how much I love how much depth there is in the builds and gameplay like this where you can put actual thought into how to set up and execute for a hack'n'slash lootsplosion game

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 28, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Good info. If I pick up another Katana I'll think about it.

Your words are good and make sense but my main issue is about combos and something you caught on: how much I can 'push'. I very much prefer to do that, and I'm somehow proficient in doing that with the other weapons I listed. Knowing that it's meant to have pauses (by your take on the weapon) lets me know that unfortunately that weapon isn't for me.

The stats are not really addressing what I mean: I purely am talking about the mechanics and my awkwardness with the weapon. I don't just stick to high attacks but I feel like they were the ones I did the most with because of the 'Strong finisher' flip attack was good at draining ki and chopping horns. The skills are nice but I am just not intuitively grabbing onto when/where I can use them like the other weapons. I did beat the game with katana (and fists) and I'm in DotN now so I'm well aware of the other skills.

Hell, I thought the splitstaff was awkward at first but it didn't take me very long to figure out how to apply all the different stances and their active skills. I'm just not good with the Katana, like I'm not with the other unmentioned weapons (I did have a fun time with Dual Swords when I mastered them, but they're just not my style so I keep away for now).

signalnoise posted:

edit: I wanna just point out how much I love how much depth there is in the builds and gameplay like this where you can put actual thought into how to set up and execute for a hack'n'slash lootsplosion game

Same, and a peek at my Division 2 posts show i have a disdain for 'following builds'--I like just picking up what I encounter and running with it. But on top of the amazing (and at times overwhelming/frustrating ) loot is the depth of the combat. I mastered all weapons just for the fun of it even if they're not 'my thing'. I felt really cool with the Axe even if I was dogshit with it. Hell, I feel like I had a smoother time 'understanding' the flow of the Axe than the katana. Granted I'm a light armor/dex player but it was still great to swing and chop suckers.

Morter fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 28, 2021

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If nothing else True and Through on the katana is super rad as an opener. I'm glad I lucked into that really early as it does a lot of work vs human bosses.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Morter posted:

I don't just stick to high attacks but I feel like they were the ones I did the most with because of the 'Strong finisher' flip attack was good at draining ki and chopping horns.

Same, and a peek at my Division 2 posts show i have a disdain for 'following builds'--I like just picking up what I encounter and running with it. But on top of the amazing (and at times overwhelming/frustrating ) loot is the depth of the combat. I mastered all weapons just for the fun of it even if they're not 'my thing'. I felt really cool with the Axe even if I was dogshit with it. Hell, I feel like I had a smoother time 'understanding' the flow of the Axe than the katana. Granted I'm a light armor/dex player but it was still great to swing and chop suckers.

I really love the freedom of making my own builds too. It just feels neat and it feels like I created something for myself. If you haven't though, you owe it to yourself to make an axe build based all around the high stance strong attack. It's loving devastating and with enough toughness and mid-attack damage reduction you really just hit the button because an enemy is in front of you regardless of what else is going on. Pull out Hyobishin as your spirit with Inosasao as your secondary, and use gozuki, onyroki, and whatever other core. Get the mid-attack damage reduction bonus from the Shibata set too, I think it only takes 2 pieces with a yasakani magatama. To avoid taking extra damage between attacks, use a yokai attack to clear the area. Spam the poo poo out of your strong attack to clear debuffs incidentally with the bonus from Hyobishin. Brute counter to your heart's content, or use a yokai move to avoid being grabbed. If you have the opportunity, lumber chop a dude just for the hell of it. Since you don't really need to bother with dodging, you can aim specifically at 100% weight. Lots of people seem to ignore heavy builds in favor of light or medium armor for a sort of "rounded" build or some agile poo poo, but IMO everyone should try a rough overpowering juggernaut build at least once, just like all the other major build types.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also never got very comfortable with the swords, but I do love stunning an enemy, doing one of the big chargeup Iai attacks then immediately ground-finishing them :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmyjZXAaak

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
This was one of the cooler things i've done with a katana and this was forever (read: months) ago.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Sorry to double post but i'm too happy.

Reached my first Treasure room...after beating Level 6 of the Underworld

I'm so happy. :peanut:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How far through the main game am I if the last boss I beat was the bull spider?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

snoremac posted:

How far through the main game am I if the last boss I beat was the bull spider?

Like halfway I think?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Like halfway I think?
Cheers. I assumed roughly that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dream of Strong is pretty easy compared to DLC. I might be over geared.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So without going into builds and all that nonsense, what moves do sword and odachi users use on yokai that are out of Ki and you have a few seconds to wail on them?

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Morter posted:

So without going into builds and all that nonsense, what moves do sword and odachi users use on yokai that are out of Ki and you have a few seconds to wail on them?

If you've got it unlocked, Kurama Sword Dance seems pretty good. I'll usually do high stance heavy attack X2 then ki pulse and let a Kurama Sword Dance rip. Does good damage, bonks their total Ki meter down a fair bit, hits a bunch so it can apply status to help shove them into the Confusion hole.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Morter posted:

I turn into a yokai myself, which opens with a grapple, if they're grappleable. If they aren't grappleable, I use a yokai move that drains max ki as much as possible so they're grappleable, and then I turn into a yokai

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Kasha is a daunting pushover. She's easier than the blue wheel skulls throughout the level. After getting owned a lot by the bull spider thing I thought I was in for more but her attacks just don't do enough damage.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

signalnoise posted:

I turn into a yokai myself, which opens with a grapple, if they're grappleable.

Oh so if you turn into a yokai near a grapple-able enemy (/yokai), you instantly grapple them?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Morter posted:

Oh so if you turn into a yokai near a grapple-able enemy (/yokai), you instantly grapple them?

Yep, and it loving owns

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

snoremac posted:

Kasha is a daunting pushover. She's easier than the blue wheel skulls throughout the level. After getting owned a lot by the bull spider thing I thought I was in for more but her attacks just don't do enough damage.

The boss difficulty is really all over the place in this game. I felt the same way, I spent way more time on Gyuki than Kasha. Also it kind of annoys me that going for the back legs on the former seems to be a trap because the way it moves makes it totally not worth it (same for the whole dam slam mechanic) - really the most optimal way to deal with that thing seems to be to just hug its nuts and dodge slightly forwards when it goes for the grab attack, then just wail on it, which is functional but boring for such a big boss.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Boss difficulty changes with build a lot of times. Like, why bother with fighting tarancherla how you're supposed to when you can get a move for hatchets that spins and then launches a massive multihit AOE and you can get health back on every hit? Why do the Kintoki hatchet fights legit when you can endlessly kite him and take no damage the entire time because his fat rear end can't walk? Why use fists and brute mode against housewife when spear and phantom exist?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The boss difficulty is really all over the place in this game. I felt the same way, I spent way more time on Gyuki than Kasha. Also it kind of annoys me that going for the back legs on the former seems to be a trap because the way it moves makes it totally not worth it (same for the whole dam slam mechanic) - really the most optimal way to deal with that thing seems to be to just hug its nuts and dodge slightly forwards when it goes for the grab attack, then just wail on it, which is functional but boring for such a big boss.
I gave up on the legs after a couple tries and went with the same move. It was too tense to be boring for me and I was very satisfied finally toppling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Boss difficulty changes with build a lot of times. Like, why bother with fighting tarancherla how you're supposed to when you can get a move for hatchets that spins and then launches a massive multihit AOE and you can get health back on every hit? Why do the Kintoki hatchet fights legit when you can endlessly kite him and take no damage the entire time because his fat rear end can't walk? Why use fists and brute mode against housewife when spear and phantom exist?
I've been running with mostly high stance axe from the start and eventually I find a way!