Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7FqH_jrYFg

Wolong: Fallen Dynasty just revealed at the Xbox event, from Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja. They didnt show gameplay but it looks it’s basically gonna be Nioh but in a Romance of the Three Kingdoms setting. Early 2023, will be on Game Pass at launch.

This teaser looked awesome as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Koei's two breadbaskets are sengoku era Japan and three kingdoms China so this isn't very surprising, but I'm excited nonetheless

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That video did pique my interest. I wish I could go bananas but videos like that just don't do anything for me anymore but I am looking forward to learning me. Freaking loved Nioh 2 quite a lot.

I'm curious if they'll have character creation like in Nioh 2 - it was really robuts and great.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jimbot posted:

That video did pique my interest. I wish I could go bananas but videos like that just don't do anything for me anymore but I am looking forward to learning me. Freaking loved Nioh 2 quite a lot.

I'm curious if they'll have character creation like in Nioh 2 - it was really robuts and great.

what little info there is on the game says you're playing a "nameless soldier" so I'd put a bet on character creation

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Hype as hell for Wo Long

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's Lu Bu!! He's come to destroy us all!!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder what that mode is in the trailer when the protag starts glowing yellow, he started dashing into the enemy. If this is a Soulslike faster than Nioh, that would be my dream. I don't think it will be a straight up action game like Ninja Gaiden or DMC because action rpgs sell better but I love that Team Ninja are pushing the action part in action rpgs.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Can anybody help me come up with a katana build for Dream of the Demon. I just recently switched over from Tonfa as I got a bit bored of that, but my damage output is still pretty woeful. I don't mind doing a bit of revenant farming or grinding for items/equipment, but I'm not after something super min-maxed, just enough so I don't feel weak and feeble.

Cheers!

PS isn't the music in this game dope? Never get tired of it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Try farming Yoshitsune for his sword skill if you haven't already, because it's super good. Raikou also has one but it's not nearly as useful, looks cool though.

Azai Nagamasa drops True and Through which is one of my most used skills with the katana, it's basically Stinger from Devil May Cry.

In terms of actual build I think Katana is pretty versatile, you could probably make anything work with it as long as you focus on that (e.g. ki damage, onmyo, ninjutsu)

edit: oops, I was assuming Nioh 2. I have no specific advice for Nioh 1 as I have not played it but it should mostly work the same re: get drops for moves if they exist and focus on a build archetype

double edit: right, *Dream* of the Demon means Nioh 2

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 13, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I like Saikas + Tranquility, you get a + 8% melee damage. The +50 sword damage is also nice, but I can’t remember when that kinda becomes useless.

Stacking active skill damage and using quick draw is also good. The ki pluse into li stance into quick draw always feels good to pull off.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Yoshitsune Also has a nice set, I forgot how spammable sword dance was.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I never put together a specific katana build, but based on everything I've seen in tryhard Youtube setups the iai draw get OP as gently caress if you stack damage and get all the skills that reduce their charge time.

Ulio posted:

I wonder what that mode is in the trailer when the protag starts glowing yellow, he started dashing into the enemy. If this is a Soulslike faster than Nioh, that would be my dream.

Tough to tell with no gameplay in the trailer, but my dream combo would be slower heavier boss fights like in :darksouls:, but faster level combat like :bloodborne:

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
I did mean Nioh 2, should've specified. And yeah, I like the Ki Pulse directly into Iai quickdraw. Don't have anything right now which will improve my damage or charge time, but I'll work on that.

Good tip on farming those skills. It's item drop I want for those, right? Thx for info

Edit: Hard to get that Kurama Sword Dance to drop, hey? I think that's about 20 kills now, nada. You'll all probably say "20? Come back when it's 200 mate" 🙃

Trip Hazard fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 13, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Trip Hazard posted:

I did mean Nioh 2, should've specified. And yeah, I like the Ki Pulse directly into Iai quickdraw. Don't have anything right now which will improve my damage or charge time, but I'll work on that.

Good tip on farming those skills. It's item drop I want for those, right? Thx for info

Yeah boss skills are considered items. I don't think they have any higher drop chances on the higher skill difficulties, so drop back down to NG so you can blaze through them one or two buffed up combos.

Protip: If you're farming a boss that doesn't have a side mission or duel where you can just run straight to them easily, rest at the nearest shrine and go fight them. If you don't get your drop, quit out to the main menu and reload. You'll be back at the shrine and can retry without having to run through an entire level again.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

For Katana if you are playing light armor, take the mystic art that increases back attack damage. My rough estimate is that it increases back attack damage from 50% more to double. That's pretty hefty for something that does not take much work to use.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Trip Hazard posted:

Edit: Hard to get that Kurama Sword Dance to drop, hey? I think that's about 20 kills now, nada. You'll all probably say "20? Come back when it's 200 mate" 🙃

Drop rates increase with NG+, that said I was more than 20 and less than 50. At least you can farm the set at the same time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
96 for me. Also, I wouldn't say "that's nothing, try [x] times" because every other thing I purposely farmed for took about a dozen or less tries for me. Sword Dance was a wild anomaly.

Correction: 97

Morter posted:

loving....

FINALLY!

:negative:

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 14, 2022

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Lots of new info on Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty in this IGN article: https://www.ign.com/articles/wo-long-fallen-dynasty-interview-team-ninja-soulslike-feudal-china

PlayStation Store page: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10004116
Steam page with quite a bit of info in the product description: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1448440/Wo_Long_Fallen_Dynasty/

Some highlights from the IGN article.

SETTING
- Wo Long is a soulslike game similar to Nioh, but focused on Chinese martial arts as a new style of combat.
- Set in China's Three Kingdoms period, which Koei Tecmo's Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms series have also been set in for more than three decades. This is Team NINJA's first game to be set in this period.
- The game's title refers directly to the main character. "Wo Long is Chinese for 'crouching dragon.'" - Yasuda
- "The game is set during the Yellow Turban Rebellion. As our subtitle Fallen Dynasty implies, the Han dynasty is about to come to an end." - Yasuda

GAMEPLAY
- Not open world. Level-based structure like Nioh, but with more freedom in levels.
- Players can now jump.
- Combat is faster-paced than Nioh 2, but not as fast as Ninja Gaiden.
- "Since the game is set during the wartime of the Three Kingdoms period, we came up with a system that revolves around the warrior’s morale. Both the player and enemies have a morale status, which will lead to new strategies within the Soulslike genre," said Yamagiwa.
- "...killing or being killed also has an impact on how strong the main character and enemies are. It’s a system that sounds like a Souslike adaptation of Shadow of Mordor’s Nemesis system." - IGN
- Less emphasis on loot, but will "still have a large variety of weapons to choose from."
- Character creator is in, with improved visuals and new parts to match the Chinese setting. Anonymous main character like Nioh 2.
- Multiplayer is in. Co-op gameplay is similar to Nioh's.

DEVELOPMENT
- Wo Long's development started back in 2019.
- Development producer Masaaki Yamagiwa published Bloodborne and Deracine while he was a producer at Sony's Japan Studio.
- "At the time, we were looking for a setting that could work for a Nioh sequel." - Fumihiko Yasuda, producer. Yasuda was director and producer of Nioh 2.
- Yasuda and Yamagiwa collaborated previously on Nioh 1, when it was a PS4 exclusive.

This immediately shot to the top of my most hyped games.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God, that sounds like exactly what I want. Going to China opens up a lot more options for weapons, they can add some really fun stuff there.

Cannot wait to get murdered by Lu Bu a thousand times, destroying my morale in-game and IRL :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Multiplayer like nioh’s is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Nvm I am Dumb

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that sounds fantastic.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Morale gauge sounds like it could be something similar to posture in Sekiro.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The game design details are exactly the list of improvements I'd have on my Nioh sequel wishlist. Early Three Kingdoms is a solid setting too. I'm extremely down for this.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baggot posted:

SETTING
- Wo Long is a soulslike game similar to Nioh, but focused on Chinese martial arts as a new style of combat.

GAMEPLAY
- Players can now jump.
- Combat is faster-paced than Nioh 2, but not as fast as Ninja Gaiden.

So they're just going all in on the fist style from DLC2? gently caress. Yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I hope they get properly creative with the magic. Onmyodo is really fun and unique, and I hope they do something that captures the nature of Taoist mysticism in a similar way.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Takes No Damage posted:

So they're just going all in on the fist style from DLC2? gently caress. Yes.

They did mention Chinese martial arts featuring swords so I’m assuming most of the game will be weapons-based like Nioh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wo Long sounds sick as hell

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they bring the tonfa and splitstaff back given those also fit with the setting

Maybe a more kung fu-focused fist weapon vs the Japanese martial arts heavy one in Nioh 2?

Oh right there's not going to be any guns but they have to do repeating crossbows

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fists in nioh 2 are the most fun moveset in any soulslike game

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Wo Long does not have stamina or stances, although the concept of switching between offense and defense kind of sounds like a stance switch.

https://www.4gamer.net/games/637/G063793/20220608016/

quote:

4Gamer:
 How has the action changed from the Nioh series?

Mr. Yasuda:
 The big change was the introduction of jumps. Also, the concept of stamina and stance has disappeared. The degree of freedom of action has increased more than before, and it is now possible to search inside the stage in three dimensions.

4Gamer:
 Will the action be more intense if there are jumps and no stamina?

Yasuda:
 That's right. In the way of fighting Chinese martial arts and kung fu as we imagine, I think that there is an action that combines offense and defense, such as attacking while hesitating or handling the enemy's attack, but in this work it is instant. A Chinese action-like battle system has been introduced that allows you to switch between offense and defense.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This game sounds really interesting, no stamina + faster than Nioh 2 has me super curious. Team Ninja's games are always a blast so I am in no matter what but this could be a sleeper hit just like Nioh 1 was.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

No stamina and no stances isn't that surprising given that Final Fantasy SOP didn't have those things. Curious about that offense and defense stuff.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1537198721158549504/photo/1

Default protag legit looks like Wolf from Sekiro.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captainicus posted:

No stamina and no stances isn't that surprising given that Final Fantasy SOP didn't have those things. Curious about that offense and defense stuff.

SOP did have your break gauge, which worked rather like a stamina gauge.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I'm not sure how they're going to differentiate the combat, since Soulslike + jumping + speed - stamina = Sekiro. I guess they'll do something besides parrys/deflects, but what???

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i'm cool with more sekiro

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm not sure how they're going to differentiate the combat, since Soulslike + jumping + speed - stamina = Sekiro. I guess they'll do something besides parrys/deflects, but what???

They may stick with giving you a powerful and diverse toolkit like in Nioh, encouraging you to embrace unfair tactics, unleash spectacular abilities, and turn yourself into a Soulsborne boss. In Sekiro, you always had a pretty hard ceiling on what you could do and how good you were at it, whereas a Nioh character is actually encouraged to become one flavour or another of total bullshit.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

SOP did have your break gauge, which worked rather like a stamina gauge.

Yeah, I was only not counting it because you can attack as much as you want without getting tired (I think this does make a pretty big difference in feel to Nioh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Takes No Damage posted:

i mean Sekiro is basically a one-button action game while this will probably still have branching combos and poo poo. if anything this brings it even closer to Ninja Gaiden