Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone having trouble with the red ogre guys should toss a firebomb at 'em. Fire is a persistent damage over time effect and it can drain half their life bars in one pop. Throw it from a roof and you're totally safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Throw a couple of points into whatever they're calling magic and get the charms that increase stamina regen and slow enemies, they're super good

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I've got this downloaded but don't want to dabble, need to sink a good couple of hours into it. Seems pretty cool though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is the boat boss optional?

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Is the boat boss optional?

Assuming you mean the boss you fight in the boat.

Boat boss is the final boss of that level.

Edit: Anyone have any tips for the boss of the second area? I've no idea and neither do any of the people I summon.

exser fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 28, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This game seems pretty cool and has some real potential but man I hope the final version runs better. Maybe I'm just way too used to playing games on my PC but I feel like it's running sub 30. The camera is a real problem too.

And it's definitely tough starting out but once the combat clicked it felt pretty good. It's weird to not auto-face your enemy when locked on though.

Things I'm digging:
- the loot
- bows and arrows being badass as all hell
- good potential for Fashion Souls
- kind of the sequel to Kengo: Master of Bushido I never knew I wanted?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My damage output on the boat boss is loving garbage. Am I not supposed to be facing him? He's the first boss I've found. He was a lot cuter in Shin Megami Tensei!!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My damage output on the boat boss is loving garbage. Am I not supposed to be facing him? He's the first boss I've found. He was a lot cuter in Shin Megami Tensei!!!

use high stance if you're not, the difference in damage is huge

the slow spell works on him too

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

use high stance if you're not, the difference in damage is huge

the slow spell works on him too

I...I don't have any spells...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I...I don't have any spells...

only take you like 2 points in the stat to get it, probably

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

or just summon someone. i've been helping hosts smoke the hell out of that guy

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ah! Ah! I made him drop his balls.

He threw them at me!!!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress my rear end the stamina system in this game just doesn't let up.

Is there a trick here? Somebody mentioned hitting R1 and I seem to be able to like...briefly restore stamina before losing it again? What the heck?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
This game is Freakin epic.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is there a trick here? Somebody mentioned hitting R1 and I seem to be able to like...briefly restore stamina before losing it again? What the heck?

I think there's something about dashing away where you can regain stamina quick.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
These loving Kodama are so fuckin' cute in a game full of not cute things

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is the Ki pulse system. You'll notice when you're attacking your Ki (stamina bar) turns red. Once you stop it will begin to fill up white.

If you block, attack, or evade in high or mid stance you'll lose all your red and white ki.

If you press R1 or evade in low stance you'll instantly regain your white ki and lose the red.

Ideally you want to hit it right as the bar fills up. If you watch your character some white particles will appear around him and that's your cue to R1/evade.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOu1wG70_k&t=108s

1:45 if the timecode doesn't work

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The hit boxes on these thrown balls is bullshit

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
loving VICTORY! Hell to the yeah. I had to heal thrice but I feel like when I finally beat the bastard I had him figured out. Overall, not actually a terribly complex fight, just one that can go to poo poo very quickly...like every other fight in this demo! I dig this game a lot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat level one and got the mysterious dlc
Is there one for level 2?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat level one and got the mysterious dlc
Is there one for level 2?

No, but you do get a sweet lightning sword to play around with in the demo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They really need to adjust the weapon degradation, it's worse than Dark Souls 2. Also they should get rid of the out of stamina animation. The difficulty is completely borked at the beginning. If you make two mistakes against a peasant, you die.

It's a cool concept for a game and I would really like to play it but at the moment Dark Souls 3 just feels better in every way.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think you can maybe shoot Nue in the mouth with arrows while its shooting its laser and it gets KO'd, at least that seems to be what hosts keep doing to it. Maybe?

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011
So the parry stuff for mid stance katana is cool but trying that on the oni's and cyclops is not working at all. Anyone else have any luck with getting it to work on them?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Have not been able to play much, but really dig the game so far. Was sold instantly when while making someone fall off a ledge, there was a proper fall animation for the enemy trying to right his balance as he went down, just added a nice little bit of extra cool factor.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This game is sick as hell and I'm very eagerly awaiting more.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
So far, I'm really liking what I've played, but some of the UI choices are deeply loving weird, and the game does an incredibly poor job of explaining its mechanics, or at least this alpha does.
It took me far too loving long to figure out the KI pulse mechanic; I swear the (single) popup which mentioned it only said something about using R1 to reset your stance and failed to tell you either when to do it, or that they actually meant simply "Press R1" not "Reselect your stance using R1+*"
Also, setting Jutsu is loving confusing.
- Spend your Amrita at the shrine to get Ninjutsu skill points
- Learn the Shuriken skill from the touch button menu
- Go back into the shrine to set Jutsu
- Go back into the touch button equipment menu to set the shuriken to a slot

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yodzilla posted:

Things I'm digging:
- the loot

I'd say this is a bad point because of the static loot placement being souls style. If they're going for Diablo style loot, why would I risk trying to get loot in dangerous territory when it's going to be garbage 90% of the time like Diablo? It's easier just to farm enemies near the shrine. It punishes exploring when that should be a draw of the game.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

I don't think the static loot is random. At least not all of it. I got to an out of the way corpse in the second level and it gave me a set of heavy armor resistant vs lightning, so that's probably a fixed drop.
Of course lightning resistance didn't do diddly squat, since being hit by a thunderbolt instantly killed me regardless, but I looked pretty sick!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I finished the demo and... I'm kinda surprised to see all the praise? I don't know what I'm missing.

Pretty much everyone was quickly killed by a dash behind and then three light combos from high stance, levels were ugly, and the level layout was bland. Worst is just that the combat feels limp and floaty, animations just lack any oomph or feedback. Like this is everything I didn't like about DS2 amplified, more or less.

I think the first boss is where it just completely lost me. He spins those big metal balls and... they kind of just slide around soundlessly without much feeling of inertia or momentum? If they hit you you lose health but your character doesn't flinch? It just feels so amateurish. That had better just be the alpha nature of the demo, and not just the demo being called "alpha" so people will forgive such poo poo.

Sucks because the *idea* of a samurai Souls sounds great, and the stance system is a solid concept... but the execution is just so flaccid. If it's truly an alpha then maybe the combat will become more engrossing by release, but I think that would probably require a pretty major reworking of the animation which certainly won't happen. If it's released in winter or later I'll give it another look... but if they announce a summer or fall release then I'll know there's no way they've fixed things.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Spent two hours last night stuck at the third bonfire. The town's pretty maze-like and I keep thinking that there should be a shortcut so I can skip the first five enemies or so, but I haven't found it. I did finally find a faster route, though, so I can skip fighting a half-dozen or so when I go back later. While I understand the principles of the Ki Pulse, I'm not pulling it off reliably because I'm blocking or evading instinctively. I've run out of inventory space twice now, and I wish I could sell stones and glue because I'm full up on them and have never used them. As soon as my armor or weapon loses its durability, I switch it out with something new.

I ran out of elixirs once, which was strange. I would span with 0, and it happened a few times, and typing it out I think it's because I didn't have a space in my inventory for an elixir to go. It's strange that the "Shortcut Items" can't be sold but take up one of your 200 inventory spaces. After selling a bunch of stuff I had 10 elixirs, but I would have done better if I had sold one item, prayed to restore my three gimme elixirs, then sold the rest so I'd have 13 going into battle. It's kind of a weird system for healing and I think there's a better way to do it, but I think it's here to stay.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can't actually carry more than 10 elixirs, it would just stop giving you them if you were selling things to the shrine.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

The biggest issue I have with Ki pulse is getting into the habit of pulsing before a block. Which isn't easy considering I'm scared shitless of every enemy.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Is there a level cap in the demo?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Myrdraayl posted:

So the parry stuff for mid stance katana is cool but trying that on the oni's and cyclops is not working at all. Anyone else have any luck with getting it to work on them?

Nah, I wasn't able to parry the Oni demons at all. Not sure if you can even parry axes even. But it kicks rear end against other katana dudes. If you can't use it against the others though may not be the best skill in the world, which considering how easy it is to destroy people may be necessary for balance.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Spent two hours last night stuck at the third bonfire. The town's pretty maze-like and I keep thinking that there should be a shortcut so I can skip the first five enemies or so, but I haven't found it. I did finally find a faster route, though, so I can skip fighting a half-dozen or so when I go back later. While I understand the principles of the Ki Pulse, I'm not pulling it off reliably because I'm blocking or evading instinctively. I've run out of inventory space twice now, and I wish I could sell stones and glue because I'm full up on them and have never used them. As soon as my armor or weapon loses its durability, I switch it out with something new.

I ran out of elixirs once, which was strange. I would span with 0, and it happened a few times, and typing it out I think it's because I didn't have a space in my inventory for an elixir to go. It's strange that the "Shortcut Items" can't be sold but take up one of your 200 inventory spaces. After selling a bunch of stuff I had 10 elixirs, but I would have done better if I had sold one item, prayed to restore my three gimme elixirs, then sold the rest so I'd have 13 going into battle. It's kind of a weird system for healing and I think there's a better way to do it, but I think it's here to stay.

Yeah, in order to do a proper ki pulse stance reset you have to NOT dodge right after a combo, which is a tough habit to break from souls.

There are situations where dodging or blocking is actually going to be the thing you have to do right away and you don't have time to stance reset, but generally getting two hits in, doing a ki pulse, and then rolling is better than just rolling right away. Just takes practice.

The first few enemies of the town you can't skip, but the Oni guys don't respawn once you kill them (which is great, they're the perfect kinda mini-boss that you can die on a few times but then kill them and make some serious progress) and there's several ladders that you can drop as shortcuts later in the level. But souls style, you've gotta replay certain sections every time.

Yeah... I think that's essentially a bug, or should be considered one. They should fix it.

If you drink all of your elixirs, it goes away from your inventory, so if you try to bind another item as a quick slot it actually removes elixirs from your hotbar. Then if you die and respawn with 3 of them, you have to manually assign it back to the quick slot. That's dumb as gently caress. So I imagine you're right, you had a full inventory so the game couldn't give you an elixir. Dumb.

Easy fix though, they just need to make elixirs a special item which doesn't go away if you have 0 of them.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 28, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

For anything that I can't reliably stagger I usually don't wait to do the full pulse, I just reset right after the attack so I can get back to blocking or backdash out of there. Been a big difference for not eating attacks from yokai over and over.

ExCruceLeo posted:

Is there a level cap in the demo?

I'm level 35 or something and it hasn't stopped me yet. Still matchmaking with people who are seemingly on their first run of the stages too, not that I have any way to confirm that.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 28, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lakbay posted:

I'd say this is a bad point because of the static loot placement being souls style. If they're going for Diablo style loot, why would I risk trying to get loot in dangerous territory when it's going to be garbage 90% of the time like Diablo? It's easier just to farm enemies near the shrine. It punishes exploring when that should be a draw of the game.

Yeah the more I play the more obnoxious it gets. It's strange for every enemy to just loving explode into two pieces of armor and a weapon and after every run my inventory is clogged with garbage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lets hang out posted:

For anything that I can't reliably stagger I usually don't wait to do the full pulse, I just reset right after the attack so I can get back to blocking or backdash out of there. Been a big difference for not eating attacks from yokai over and over.

That's the cool thing about the pulse it took me awhile to kinda figure out, you can pulse early as a cancel or you can pulse late in order to get more stamina.

But then if you pulse too late you don't get anything, which sucks but rewards careful timing.

Its an interesting system. At first I thought it was kinda weird but I do like how deliberate you have to be with your attacks as a result, thinking about how long you're going to combo ahead of time.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah the more I play the more obnoxious it gets. It's strange for every enemy to just loving explode into two pieces of armor and a weapon and after every run my inventory is clogged with garbage.

At the very least they need to let you pick up all the items in an area or from a single "drop" with a single button press.

Finding an item, opening it only to have it spill out 3 more items, and then having to pick those up individually as well is tedious.

You can sell items by "make offering" at shrines if you need to ditch stuff, get some spare Amarita for it, but I feel you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Beat the first stage and tried a bit of the second, probably won't continue but I'll buy this when it comes out.

Healing takes a bit too long and some of the enemy damage is a bit too high. Getting hit on the ground while furiously mashing X to try and get up sucks, I don't remember if its like that in Souls games.

The fighting system is really cool and I managed to figure out the stances/ki pulse on my own.