Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's the highest and final difficulty level. You can do the dojo stuff on the base difficulty and unlock the skills there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Oh I didn't even know there were difficulty levels. Is that analogous to NG+/++/whatever?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

yeah more or less, they have remixed enemy layouts and just generally are tougher. its a lot like in diablo 2

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I've never played a Diablo game :shobon: but cool, dunno if I'll get into that for Nioh because the game still hasn't fully grabbed me, but good to know in case I end up wanting more when I get through the main game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is the dlc a postgame thing or a 'get it right away' thing?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

Is the dlc a postgame thing or a 'get it right away' thing?

Kinda both? The DLC levels are all postgame, but the first 2 DLCs each add a new weapon type which is available right away. So it's worth getting them early if you want to play around with the new weapons asap.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Snak posted:

Kinda both? The DLC levels are all postgame, but the first 2 DLCs each add a new weapon type which is available right away. So it's worth getting them early if you want to play around with the new weapons asap.

Working through NG+ right now, didn't bother with the DLC on NG. Worth doing on NG+ or should I wait until Way of the Wise or whatever?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
The DLC has some of my favorite content in the game, and given that it concludes the story rather than side content; I'd say play it when you can. Just know it's steps up in difficulty.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

Working through NG+ right now, didn't bother with the DLC on NG. Worth doing on NG+ or should I wait until Way of the Wise or whatever?

You can go back and forth on the difficulties at any time. If you want to check them out and get a feel for their movesets when they can't instantly destroy you, checking out the DLC on Way of the Samurai isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure what you question is in terms of "worth doing?" Like, it's new bosses you get to fight... I also think the level design of the first DLC is pretty great, but I haven't played the second or third dlc yet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a month to burn out on Destiny 2 before I buy this game and all the DLC on PC and play it until X-Mas

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really want to get this game again on the PC since I never played any of the DLC but kind of only if someone makes a save editor and/or transfer tool because boy do I not have the time to play through the whole game again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I double dipped on Dark Souls, so... :shepface:

Hopefully the game finds an audience on PC, although I suspect client side fuckery is going to make the clan stuff and Revenants very unfun in the long term.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I played through the first 10 levels of Nioh in a weekend it was awesome but the run back to the frog boss annihilated my desire to press on so now I’m really amped to replay it on my PC after having platinums Bloodborne in the interim

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's a pretty short run if you know the level.

I mapped the entire level and was going to share it, but I got bored and never made a pretty version.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Snak posted:

It's a pretty short run if you know the level.

I mapped the entire level and was going to share it, but I got bored and never made a pretty version.

If you've still got a rough draft of it still, it'd be cool to see it. I remember getting a little lost on that level, and I like seeing the maps and note people make when playing games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even with a map and direct instructions I'd still get lost in that loving ninja house. Hated it, hated it, hated it. Kept running into the drat thing in the Crucible too.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ninja mansion is up there as one of my favorite levels. It was a bit of a turn around a couple of times when you first played it but I found it pretty easy to navigate after a bit. Granted, I also ended up co-oping a ton there and guiding other lost people through it a few dozen times over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked it except for the rooms that were full of spiders for no reason.

edit: Then again, I enjoyed crushing said spiders with the ceiling traps, so maybe it's not all that bad.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Going to get this on steam on the 7th. But I can't pre order? How much content does all the dlc add compared to the normal Nioh?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
At the risk of outting myself as a lazy crybaby, it’s just that you have to open two doors to get back to the frog, unlike every other boss run up to that point which is just sprinting back to their room, so while it’s probably only a minute, it feels like forever, and over the course of 15-20 attempts, that’s half an hour of running back to a door, opening it, running to another door opening and dying.

I’m not worried I’m just gonna start a fresh save file on PC and make a super OP build and one-shot every boss.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what do these icons mean, they weren't in the game the last time i played it

also what's the best way to gear up for higher difficulties? I can start the 3rd one but everything takes a gazillion hits to kill. Is there any quick and consistent way to get divines with +#s

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 5, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

At the risk of outting myself as a lazy crybaby, it’s just that you have to open two doors to get back to the frog, unlike every other boss run up to that point which is just sprinting back to their room, so while it’s probably only a minute, it feels like forever, and over the course of 15-20 attempts, that’s half an hour of running back to a door, opening it, running to another door opening and dying.

I’m not worried I’m just gonna start a fresh save file on PC and make a super OP build and one-shot every boss.

It's a fair complaint, I liked this level but as soon as I got to the boss run it dragged it way tf down. There is no goddamn reason not to just drop you outside the boss door.

Not sure whether I want to double dip on this or not. I'm probably just gonna run into the same issues again

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

lets hang out posted:

what do these icons mean, they weren't in the game the last time i played it

also what's the best way to gear up for higher difficulties? I can start the 3rd one but everything takes a gazillion hits to kill. Is there any quick and consistent way to get divines with +#s

That icon shows the PvP specific effect I believe. In this case it does something with armor? Disables armor abilities I think?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what is their aversion to giving weapons good parries

the gently caress is the point of parrying a revenant and having them continue hitting you through the animation because they're wearing heavy armor

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm playing this on PC, too. Is there anything I should know about stat allocations or build meta, or is it all pretty straightforward? Trap options I should avoid, etc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Appoda posted:

I'm playing this on PC, too. Is there anything I should know about stat allocations or build meta, or is it all pretty straightforward? Trap options I should avoid, etc

It's the opposite of Soulsbourne: diversification is really powerful, and you want to dip at least a little bit into both onmyo magic and ninjutsu in order to have a good toolkit. So even if you're not super interested in being a wizard or a ninja, check out those skill trees and see what you might want to cherry pick out of them.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
It's also really easy to splash a few useful onmyo/ninja spells with minimal investment due to all the hair you'll eat while playing through the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, also make sure to get the hang of Ki pulsing as soon as possible. I am garbage at "stance dancing" but even doing a little bit of it goes a long way.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Snak posted:

Oh, also make sure to get the hang of Ki pulsing as soon as possible. I am garbage at "stance dancing" but even doing a little bit of it goes a long way.

Yeah, this. Get good at ki pulsing. Do it constantly.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Any chance or word of the complete edition coming to ps4?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

CuddlyZombie posted:

Any chance or word of the complete edition coming to ps4?

probably not for awhile yet honestly. Apparently they haven't even dropped the price of the base game yet, honestly. Maybe they'll surprise us, but probably not till sometime next year at the earliest

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, this. Get good at ki pulsing. Do it constantly.

I ki pulse even when I'm just attacking to smash stuff, for the practice. I'm still not great at it. I only recently got decent at doing the weapon swap attacks as well. It's great for squeezing an extra chunk of damage out of a combo

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Appoda posted:

Skills to get immediately:

Grapple - it lets you do finishers on out-of-stamina opponenets that are really strong and important.
The 3 living water skills - the description will say something to the effect of "will let you ki-pulse while you dodge". This means you automatically ki-pulse when you dodge. This is amazing and you need to have it. Note: Those skills show up in every skill tree, they are all preceded by a (cheap) skill that gives you a damage buff for ki pulsing and there's 3 because you unlock them for each stance separately. You do not have to get them for each weapon - you get them once and they count for all weapon types.

Optional skill you can get from the start:
Stealth-backstabs! You can grab it as soon as you get ninja points right on the first map if you want the option. Very cheap, only useful if you feel like doing some sneakyness.

Respecs are cheap and plentiful starting in the mid game, so don't worry too much about what points to put where.

Since I can probably refer back to this post when the game relases, I'll put this here too:

Configure your inventory new players! A lot of the complaints nioh gets are because of the inventory management or because "things don't tell you what they do". The former you can mitigate a lot by choosing the correct sorting option for every item category, and using the generous filter options (you can, for example, go to any sell/offering/disassemble menu and have it mark all items below x rarity and then get rid of them all at once, no need to slowly go through everything) - the latter is mostly dumb because on every menu you only have to hit the help button and you can check out what every single line of UI or item attribute means.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 7, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One thing about Ki Pulsing that's really good to practice is to learn to do it by watching the Ki ring effect around your character, rather than the ki bar. This helps keep your eyes on the action. Really wish there was a hud option to just turn off the health and ki bars so I could stop constantly looking up there.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What multiplayer like in this? Is it pretty much the same as Dark Souls?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is a co-op summoning mode that works like like dark souls and there's also a mode where you start and complete an entire mission with the same person. You can use shrines (think bonfires) and you can revive each other a certain number of times, unlike the dark souls-style mode where you're out after one death.

There is instanced loot for the helper in both modes so it is just as beneficial for the helper.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
There is also a PVP arena which is not even remotely balanced and massively affected by lag(even more than Dark Souls). Some people do like it though. No invasions.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Is the PC version out yet? Steam says tomorrow, but you never know with these things and people always find ways to play early?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

What multiplayer like in this? Is it pretty much the same as Dark Souls?

There are no player invasions. All PvP is 100% initiated by both sides. The closest you come to invasions is a monster type that force summons the NPC player graves, one at a time.

In the Dark Souls style coop (summon a dude during a mission to help you out), both people get to pick up items, both people get the full amount of souls for kills and the host can even use new shrines(bonfires) while the ghost is summoned to heal them both. If the host dies, it's over for both. If the summon dies it's over for the summon. It's everything Dark Souls coop does, except better.

It also has proper coop, where you get together with someone else before a mission, then play it as full equals. If one player does they go down and can get revived by their partner, or revive themselves. Reviving takes a certain amount off your shared revival bar, less if the partner gets the downed player up fast than if they revive themselves. If both players die at the same time, it's game over for both.

Coop is loving amazing.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 7, 2017

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Speaking of co-op, what's that fuckin' endgame sub-mission at the crystal castle from the end of the main story with a bunch of enemy waves, including some reasonably tough NPC-style enemies and followed by a double boss fight? I don't remember the name or the bosses at the end at the moment but hopefully that's a clear enough description.

I would, uh, I would like a lot of help with that. I should be able to play tomorrow starting at like 6:00 CET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Is it just 2 player co-op? Or can you have 3 friends playing like Dark Souls?