Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I wonder if they changed that from the PS4 version then :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Have you not done any of the earlier missions in Kyushu or Chugoku either?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Yeeeah, that's not happening on the PC version.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Finally getting around to playing this (PS4). I'm really, really enjoying it; the novelty of the setting goes a long way and I love the goofy/creepy yokai poo poo. It feels a lot more like Bloodborne than either Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden, to me.

2017 was such a good year for games, drat

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Just picked this up in the sale, and already glad I did. Still super-early (at the very end of the burning fishing village, I think), so I'll try not to ask too many questions that can be answered by "just keep playing" but uh... I'm kind of overwhelmed by the variety of weapon choices, and how deep you can seemingly go into one weapon-type while not locking yourself out of anything else. What's a good stat-level to say "okay, this is what I want to commit to" and start going heavy into the DPS stat for that weapon? And are ninjutsu/onmyo powerful enough on their own to be the primary focus of a build?

And a mechanics-related question that the game hasn't done a good job of clarifying: I - and sometimes enemies - sometimes go down to empty/red ki bars, but don't actually get stuck in the "winded" condition. Is that something bugging out, or is it that you only get winded if you try to do a ki-spending action while at 0? (I ask primarily because I've gone in multiple times to get a finisher on enemies with empty ki bars, only to find out oops, no they're not finisher-vulnerable, they were just temporarily out of stamina, and I'm still not sure I understand the distinction.)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Just picked this up in the sale, and already glad I did. Still super-early (at the very end of the burning fishing village, I think), so I'll try not to ask too many questions that can be answered by "just keep playing" but uh... I'm kind of overwhelmed by the variety of weapon choices, and how deep you can seemingly go into one weapon-type while not locking yourself out of anything else. What's a good stat-level to say "okay, this is what I want to commit to" and start going heavy into the DPS stat for that weapon? And are ninjutsu/onmyo powerful enough on their own to be the primary focus of a build?

And a mechanics-related question that the game hasn't done a good job of clarifying: I - and sometimes enemies - sometimes go down to empty/red ki bars, but don't actually get stuck in the "winded" condition. Is that something bugging out, or is it that you only get winded if you try to do a ki-spending action while at 0? (I ask primarily because I've gone in multiple times to get a finisher on enemies with empty ki bars, only to find out oops, no they're not finisher-vulnerable, they were just temporarily out of stamina, and I'm still not sure I understand the distinction.)

Alright, so if you're still super early into the game, I recommend just trying all the weapons out. Typically in this game you spend all your points into your two favorite weapon styles. You can always reset your points with a bit of money.

The winded condition happens when you set their Ki below 0. Human Opponents can have 0 stamina and still move okay, but only when you strike them during their depleted stamina stage will you cause them to go winded.

Most Yokai/demons can still fight normally with depleted stamina, but they are easily staggerable, and they usually do an animation to recharge their ki

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Magus42 posted:

Have you not done any of the earlier missions in Kyushu or Chugoku either?

Nope, not a single one.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, what the gently caress is with revenants? Like, how does the game determine their AI?

Because some of them literally just spam the same attack until they run out of stamina over and over and others are on some fourth-dimensional endgame PVP poo poo with no rhyme or reason as to why.

Also what's with this big bitch on the bridge jfc

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 19, 2018

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Ah, thank you. Follow-up question: when you say 'spend all your points on two weapons' do you mean samurai skillpoints, or the governing stat, or both? Like, if you want to do spears+swords, you'll have really good Health + Ki scores to go with, but if you want Tonfa+Axes you'll be more fragile (because your stats will be mainly in Strength+Skill)?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Remember to pick up the passive skills from other weapon trees! Like extra Life from Axes, Ki from Swords, etc. Those apply to all weapons unless stated otherwise.

The ninjitsu and onmyo skill trees also have passives, such as extra carrying capacity for elixirs, arrows, bullets, etc.

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 19, 2018

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I think doing DLC on the previous difficult counts for unlocking Regions on the next difficulty up.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

wizard on a water slide posted:

Oh, what the gently caress is with revenants? Like, how does the game determine their AI?

Because some of them literally just spam the same attack until they run out of stamina over and over and others are on some fourth-dimensional endgame PVP poo poo with no rhyme or reason as to why.

Also what's with this big bitch on the bridge jfc

Think it has to do with what stance they're in. Low stancers spam like a fucker more often than not.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Ah, thank you. Follow-up question: when you say 'spend all your points on two weapons' do you mean samurai skillpoints, or the governing stat, or both? Like, if you want to do spears+swords, you'll have really good Health + Ki scores to go with, but if you want Tonfa+Axes you'll be more fragile (because your stats will be mainly in Strength+Skill)?

Don't worry about it too much. At the start gently caress around and pick whatever weapons you like and focus on getting their trees unlocked, but later on you'll hit a point start getting like 10+ points per level. The caveat here is use every weapon until you max your proficiency with the class so you get all the free samurai skills plus unlock the later dojo missions for them.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 19, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

ArkInBlack posted:

I think doing DLC on the previous difficult counts for unlocking Regions on the next difficulty up.

That'd explain it. I've done most of the NG dlc missions.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
How do you get the dojo missions anyway? Story progression, or putting points in skill trees?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You unlock them from completing main missions.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

RatHat posted:

You unlock them from completing main missions.

But you can't do some of them unless you have 10, 15 or 20 dex for ninja, magic for omyio, or weapon proficiency for melee.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ghost of Starman posted:

I mean samurai skill points, but make a awhile, make an effort into checking some of the passives from the other weapon arts. I feel like spending a dozen and a half of skillpoints into axe so i have 300 hit points was worth it considering how it saved me on a few occasions

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

But you can't do some of them unless you have 10, 15 or 20 dex for ninja, magic for omyio, or weapon proficiency for melee.

I definitely recommend getting at least 20 magic for every build though. Dex for Ninjutsu is a bit more specialized but Quick Change Scrolls are very helpful on higher difficulties.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus, the duel fight for Ii Naomasa is making me understand why everyone thinks spears are so good. I just want his stupid armor/armor text so I can use it for Fashion Nioh, I don't even intend to wear it.

It's kind of funny that he's like "I'm just not good at fighting demons", but then he does more damage than me and has ten times as much health and at least one special move the player can't do. Just try it dude, you'll do fine.

Actually, come to think of it, iai dude and the lady samurai ally were the same way. Anybody whose take on this game is "ugh, they made another white savior narrative" presumably never played it, because I'm pretty sure William is the weakest man in Japan.

Baku fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 20, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
He is Immortal which is something that kind of sets him a step above everyone else. Except maybe Nobunaga, who could be but says gently caress this I'd rather hang out in hell with my bros.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DatonKallandor posted:

He is Immortal which is something that kind of sets him a step above everyone else. Except maybe Nobunaga, who could be but says gently caress this I'd rather hang out in hell with my bros.

I like that they did give an explanation for that at the end of the game, because I (and maybe some others) probably just went, "Oh, it's supposed to be like the Dark Souls system, so you just respawn at the last checkpoint when you die" and didn't really give it any thought about how it made sense in-universe.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I picked this game up, started using a spear and never looked back. I like the idea of the Kusarigama (those demons using them always destroy me unless I sloth them), but it seems hard to use right.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

wizard on a water slide posted:

Actually, come to think of it, iai dude and the lady samurai ally were the same way. Anybody whose take on this game is "ugh, they made another white savior narrative" presumably never played it, because I'm pretty sure William is the weakest man in Japan.

William was a real person, believe it or not, and actually had a somewhat important role (although obviously not save the world levels) so it's not like they made him out of whole cloth, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Everyone in the game is a historical figure, in fact. Even Derrick the Executioner.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
William and Edward Kelley pretty much just borrow the name, they don't resemble their real-world counterparts at all. Also there are some characters that may not have actually existed(Sasuke and the 10 braves).

But yeah, the historical details are pretty cool. Especially the armor, which is surprisingly authentic. There's a Gamefaqs thread pointing out a bunch of details and armor if you're interested in that.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 21, 2018

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SkeletonHero posted:

Everyone in the game is a historical figure, in fact. Even Derrick the Executioner.

this game owns

I am currently farming Muneshige for smithing texts and the no-hit title, and now I wonder if the historical guy's actual dog was this annoying

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

William was a real person, believe it or not, and actually had a somewhat important role (although obviously not save the world levels) so it's not like they made him out of whole cloth, either.

I mean, it's a little goofy that he apparently learned... what? Five or six martial arts, and two different types of magic, from apparently reading some other foreigner's accounts of how they worked? (Still not very far in, so I'm hoping there's a little more to it than that, but on the face of it that seems to be what happened.) I was hoping at the least that Our Hero would have to actually, y'know, meet a real-life ninja and wacky prayer-strip sorcerer before he could start delving into the more esoteric arts of Glorious Zipangu.

(thank you to folks that pointed out helpful passives in the weapon trees, I have a much better idea what I want to build towards now)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
William Adams hung out with Samurai and studied Bushido and Kendo for years with them, that’s a historical fact

Edit: Wrong Bill

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 22, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
William Adams was a sailor, not a warrior.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 22, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Max Wilco posted:

I like that they did give an explanation for that at the end of the game, because I (and maybe some others) probably just went, "Oh, it's supposed to be like the Dark Souls system, so you just respawn at the last checkpoint when you die" and didn't really give it any thought about how it made sense in-universe.

The explanation for respawning comes pretty early on, or at least is implies. Saorse says as long as she is with William he can't die (I gather Kelley having her doesn't affect that). When you die without a guardian spirit Saorse appears on the screen as you respawn

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RatHat posted:

William Wallace was a sailor, not a warrior.

Wrong white dude, dude

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oops, I meant William Adams.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Neurosis posted:

The explanation for respawning comes pretty early on, or at least is implies. Saorse says as long as she is with William he can't die (I gather Kelley having her doesn't affect that). When you die without a guardian spirit Saorse appears on the screen as you respawn

One thing I really like about Nioh over Dark Souls is having my own stable of badass Pokemon spirits. While I was going through the base game again I used spirits as I unlocked them and there's so much variety, I love it. For serious stuff it's back to Kate/Bisha's Centipede, but meanwhile I love trying out the other spirits. I also learned, after two and a half playthroughs, that you can press the Living Weapon key combination while in LW to unleash magical attacks. :downs:

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Ghost of Starman posted:

I mean, it's a little goofy that he apparently learned... what? Five or six martial arts, and two different types of magic, from apparently reading some other foreigner's accounts of how they worked? (Still not very far in, so I'm hoping there's a little more to it than that, but on the face of it that seems to be what happened.) I was hoping at the least that Our Hero would have to actually, y'know, meet a real-life ninja and wacky prayer-strip sorcerer before he could start delving into the more esoteric arts of Glorious Zipangu.

(thank you to folks that pointed out helpful passives in the weapon trees, I have a much better idea what I want to build towards now)

I mean, the basics were from the book but everything after is from training with various people. And I'd argue he's not really as good as the people he's learning from, Hanzo, Okatsu and Sasuke do way more impressive ninja bullshit and the weapon masters aren't limited to one move per combination, and you don't see any action from the mages outside of Edward and Maria but both can teleport around a lot and do wizard bullshit so Will's mostly coasting on his admittedly really solid trick of being terrible at staying dead rather than being the best at three things. Also the menagerie of spirit pals.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Azran posted:

One thing I really like about Nioh over Dark Souls is having my own stable of badass Pokemon spirits. While I was going through the base game again I used spirits as I unlocked them and there's so much variety, I love it. For serious stuff it's back to Kate/Bisha's Centipede, but meanwhile I love trying out the other spirits. I also learned, after two and a half playthroughs, that you can press the Living Weapon key combination while in LW to unleash magical attacks. :downs:

Maybe it's because of a dark souls thing and my playstyle, but I noticed in these games when it comes to magic and poo poo, I go out of my way to deny the benefits and just use a the sword to do the talking.

This worked AND did not work too well in this game for me, I really could've used those sloth talismans, save myself some time. On the other hand, the combat is so goddamn satisfying when you get a hang of it, and it gets old when everything is a sponge, but that wont happen till NG++

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Update: this game still owns. I've found it has the usual Souls arc, where the game gets easier faster than the content scales in difficulty as you master systems, come into a build, etc. I died 30 times to Hino-Enma, and beat the last four bosses on my first try (though Okatsu managed to proc my quickchange scroll).

My current dilemma is that I'm playing a ninja (35 Dex to my next-highest stat, 25 Heart) and found a w/e Muramasa (the Iga set sword) with A Dex-scaling and Familiarity Damage as a random drop, and letting it go as it falls behind in levels instead of paying increasingly exorbitant sums to soul-match it is gonna be real, real painful. I don't look forward to fishing for that mod again on future katana.

Oh, the Ogress is a great creepy thing, and my new aesthetic is Giant Toad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've not played this game in ages and was thinking about starting up a new game to play through with a friend. Is that possible without much of a headache? I remember there being some complaints around launch about it being a bit annoying to do but still better than Dark Souls.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They changed it since release so you don't need to complete a mission before you can co-op it. There are still some singleplayer-only missions though(notably the tutorial mission).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

They changed it since release so you don't need to complete a mission before you can co-op it. There are still some singleplayer-only missions though(notably the tutorial mission).

Oh thank goodness. Yeah that sounds like the issue I remember people complaining about, with someone on the dev team even saying as an initial response that that was intentional??? Glad they went back on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Really enjoying the game so far, thanks for everyone who posted beginner advice in the thread.
I spent probably too much time in the first fishing village, but in the Souls games as well I tend to take a long time going through the first main area and end up kind of over leveling myself a bit.
On the second stage in Nakatsu (I actually live in Kyushu so I am geeking out like crazy at these early missions) and having a good time using dual swords and odachi.