Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

Lies! If you gently caress up the Phantom parry timing by going too soon you can still get a 100% block out of it. But yes that is frequently the least useful outcome compared to the other 2.

Yeah but because you were trying to parry a world-crushing blow, and end up blocking it you're left with zero stamina, which is a precarious position to be in to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah but because you were trying to parry a world-crushing blow, and end up blocking it you're left with zero stamina, which is a precarious position to be in to say the least.

phantom burst counter blocks cost 0 stamina.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I wonder if someone has a similar problem to mine, I couldn't find anything to slove it, and the PSN support offers no support:

I'd bought Nioh 2 on a disc, ended up upgrading to the PS5 remaster - being able to play as long as the disc was in the drive. However, since the base game occasionaly goes on a sale, I've bought a digital PS4 version, in order to upgrade that and stop having to use the disc.

No, the problem is: when I go to the store for the PS5 upgrade, it downloads the disc version (there is a disc symbol by the name). It's like it doesn't see the digital version as being upgradable, but only wants to return to the previous disc version. Regardless of the way I do it (from the store, download list, PS app), how often I delete the disc version or rebuild licenses/database. At this point it's mostly a convenience issue (only being able to play with the disc in vs. being able to play whenever), but it's really annoying.

So, does anyone have any insight? It might just be an oversight on the store, of course, but maybe there's a way around that?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I just slayed Imagawa on the hardest difficulty with Level Sync and I slayed him without him touching me. gently caress Imagawa. :owned:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

I wonder if someone has a similar problem to mine, I couldn't find anything to slove it, and the PSN support offers no support:

I'd bought Nioh 2 on a disc, ended up upgrading to the PS5 remaster - being able to play as long as the disc was in the drive. However, since the base game occasionaly goes on a sale, I've bought a digital PS4 version, in order to upgrade that and stop having to use the disc.

No, the problem is: when I go to the store for the PS5 upgrade, it downloads the disc version (there is a disc symbol by the name). It's like it doesn't see the digital version as being upgradable, but only wants to return to the previous disc version. Regardless of the way I do it (from the store, download list, PS app), how often I delete the disc version or rebuild licenses/database. At this point it's mostly a convenience issue (only being able to play with the disc in vs. being able to play whenever), but it's really annoying.

So, does anyone have any insight? It might just be an oversight on the store, of course, but maybe there's a way around that?

Well, I have my answer:/ I'd already bought a PS4 to PS5 remaster, and I can't buy it twice. I'll see if I can get support to remove it, otherwise I'll wait for the actual game to go on a sale.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Finally. 🙏

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Do you guys have any recommendations for resources for builds and how to set them up in the NG+es in Nioh 2? Fextralife, reddit, and mumbly outdated youtube videos all really suck to try to learn from.

Basically I'm coming back to the game for the first time since launch and thought I might try doing the postgame. Things were going pretty smoothly until the final boss in Way of the Demon who I just do not have enough gas in the tank to realistically beat, and now I'm afraid I finally need a better build or a much deeper understanding of all these gear systems.

I've been using a probably pretty generic flying kato ninjutsu setup with kunai and feathers driving otakemaru's core spam (none of which except the kunai can hit the boss for poo poo). At the least I think I need a lot more untouched ninjutsu, but I'm unsure what would be a good way to approach getting it onto kato pieces. I'd be willing to respec to some other cheese if it's easy to prepare just to get over this hump at this point. I'm not above being carried either but I've had not very many bites trying to co-op it on PS5.

Any ideas?

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 19, 2022

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If by final boss you mean Nightmare Bringer, there are a couple of ways you might make that easier. One of the Sake items gives you immunity to elemental debuffs - very helpful to avoid getting hit by lightning and slowed to a crawl, and prevents you getting confused. He is resistant to elements but not purity, so using that on your weapons can help you drain his ki. I can't help much with the actual dodging/fight mechanics, I almost entirely played heavy armor.

If you want a particularly cheesy combo you can spam in light armor, you can use fists in light stance. Use Kick Cycle, then cancel it when it is nearly finished with forwards + ki pulse input for the ki pulse punch, which you can then chain into kick cycle again. Costs almost zero ki, deals solid damage, builds up stacks of intensity, and you can do all of that in light stance so you can have super dodging.

As far as soul cores go, otakemaru core is very expensive and immoible. If you wanted damage, Kasha is pretty good, just slow to throw out, and chases down enemies so you can't miss. If you want to try drain his ki so you can stagger him, you can't beat Fuki - fast, middle cost, high ki damage. I've tested a lot of soul cores, and that one is the standout for ki-drain.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 19, 2022

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A couple more things I just thought of:

Make sure you have an accessory with 'faster winded recovery'. Makes you recover much quicker when you get put into a stagger state from having zero ki.

And here's an obvious one that you may not like: just skip him and go to the next NG+ level. You can come back later when your favourite weapon gets another 5 +levels if you want. Some people might think this is cheap or underhanded but I skip Tengu-man (whose name I can't remember) boss battle from DLC1 every time I played a NG+ level. He's just resistant to all elemental damage, which makes 98% of magic and guardian spirit summons near useless, and vast numbers of soul cores, too. His ki damage through guard is way too high and he jumps away all the drat time. Screw that guy, no fun to fight as a dedicated mage player.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sorry, when I said last boss I was talking about otakemaru, so yeah going to the next NG+ level is what I want to do but not yet an option. Thank you for the suggestions though, I agree his core just seems too irritating to use on his constantly jumping purple rear end

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 19, 2022

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Captainicus posted:

Some people might think this is cheap or underhanded but I skip Tengu-man (whose name I can't remember) boss battle from DLC1 every time I played a NG+ level. He's just resistant to all elemental damage, which makes 98% of magic and guardian spirit summons near useless, and vast numbers of soul cores, too. His ki damage through guard is way too high and he jumps away all the drat time. Screw that guy, no fun to fight as a dedicated mage player.

Lol, tengu-man. His name is Minamoto no Yoshitsune.

Funnily enough, (at least from my viewpoint) he's one of the fairer fights in the game, in terms of that he does a lot of circling, it's not hard to see his red burst attacks coming, and that he can easily be knocked into a 0-ki stun state just by headshotting him while he's up on the pedestals. He's only really tiresome in the Depths due to the health multipliers.

Also like anyone else he's vulnerable to getting beaten on by 3 cats.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I keep reading how easy Kasha is and I'm getting extremely annoyed and frustrated with the constant fire that I'm probably just going to hang this up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

And just like that I beat it but barely. I don't really know what I did differently that time but it was definitely a fight that I didn't like.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
The trick with Kasha for me was realizing that you can walk/dodge through her between her legs/wheels. That takes away like two-thirds of any fire threat and turns a lot of her aggressive/threatening postures into openings.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah my usual experience with Kasha is constantly stunning her by whacking her wheels and going to town. It's not a stunlock, I still have to avoid attacks, but dodging under her helps a lot

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

And just like that I beat it but barely. I don't really know what I did differently that time but it was definitely a fight that I didn't like.

Really the most OP strat in general, especially for games like this, is to complain about it on the internet. Works like a charm.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

blackguy32 posted:

I keep reading how easy Kasha is and I'm getting extremely annoyed and frustrated with the constant fire that I'm probably just going to hang this up.

Were you having trouble with the fire on the ground? There's a ninjutsu technique that lets you walk over ground effects pain free.

https://nioh2.wiki.fextralife.com/Levitation

I usually keep a couple of those stocked along with sneak thief and catwalking for when I feel like sprinting through a level instead of fighting everything. There's a lot of spots where you will walk into an enemy aggro trigger regardless of how stealthed up you are though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Were you having trouble with the fire on the ground? There's a ninjutsu technique that lets you walk over ground effects pain free.

https://nioh2.wiki.fextralife.com/Levitation

I usually keep a couple of those stocked along with sneak thief and catwalking for when I feel like sprinting through a level instead of fighting everything. There's a lot of spots where you will walk into an enemy aggro trigger regardless of how stealthed up you are though.

If I'm being honest, I feel like I barely know a lot of stuff. I used to think the souls games were dense with all it's stats but this game brings it to a whole new level.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
On the bright side you've now got her yokai ability which is really good, so enjoy using your new giant flaming top to help wreck shop.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Kasha's soul core is a mainstay for me because not only does it inflict fire but it continues the attack while you keep doing actions, allowing you to keep pressure.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
And like most of the multi-hit Soul Cores it doles out Amrita like candy, which is great if you have things like Life recovery on Amrita absorb on your gear.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ryomen Sukuna is my favourite multi-hit high anima cost soul core, but he's better for yokai shift and/or if he gets life recovery on yokai ability hit but that's a random property, so you might not get it on something you want. Kasha has that inherently and is definitely one of the better soul cores, though, that's for certain.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Is Nioh 1 worth playing? Or is it worse than 2 in every way?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

The plot is miles ahead of Nioh2. I love Nioh 2, I think it is probably the best action/character building game that exists, but the plot is beyond garbage. Nioh 1's plot is actually reasonable, there's some details and stuff to learn about the characters if you read the pre-mission text, character bio entries, etc. Even if you don't, the characters are stronger and the plot is still more interesting.

Hypothetically, the only things you actually lose are switchglaives, fists, splitstaffs, soul cores (though there's a super mode like yokai shift) and a handful of spells/moves on other weapons. Other than that, it is another large collection of Nioh missions with the same base action mechanics - I'd certainly play it once if you can live without the things I listed above.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also hatchets! :v:

I'd say that mechanically it's much more unpolished and it has considerably worse enemy variety (you see every single non-DLC enemy by the halfway point in the story IIRC) but other than that it's Just More Nioh.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

How could I forget about hatchets? I love my (garbage) throwing weapons. Probably a fair point about enemies, now that I think on it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Maybe because I was somewhat invested in my own character but I loved Nioh 2's story over 1's. Even being aware of the Warring States period and plenty of the notable characters, Nioh 1 felt like William was just wandering around, running into people, randomly having meetings with them, then he goes kills some things. Meanwhile I could and recall the plot and character interactions for Nioh 2 despite only having seen the cutscenes once. Maybe 2's is simpler, and that's why? But it made more sense to me, and I enjoyed the characters more.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The plot in both games is completely incoherent but iirc 2 is way worse with assuming you know a lot about the lives of minor historical figures

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Morter posted:

Maybe because I was somewhat invested in my own character but I loved Nioh 2's story over 1's. Even being aware of the Warring States period and plenty of the notable characters, Nioh 1 felt like William was just wandering around, running into people, randomly having meetings with them, then he goes kills some things. Meanwhile I could and recall the plot and character interactions for Nioh 2 despite only having seen the cutscenes once. Maybe 2's is simpler, and that's why? But it made more sense to me, and I enjoyed the characters more.

The simplest way I would summarize how I feel about 2 is that first, it has a non-speaking customizable protagonist who silently glares at people, which isn't interesting. Second, it also feels very disjointed, like they just cut half the scenes out of the game. You meet Nobunaga, then you meet kappa-man to make a castle, then Nobunaga dies off screen (seriously, what's up with that, why does a major event like that happen off screen). It doesn't feel like there is any build up at all as to why Nobunaga dies in the temple when he should be a major character, considering the setting/time period.

Nioh 1 feels more natural to me, you start as William who got thrown in jail, then his fairy gets kidnapped so he goes to japan to get it back, then he happens to slay some monsters and bump into some locals who help him out, then you help them so Hanzo introduces you to Tokugawa who is having trouble because Kelly is helping his enemy, etc.

Some of this is probably just because I remember a lot more about Nioh 1 because it doesn't have a blank, silent protagonist, which is a pet peeve of mine. I'd rather a boring character like a William or a Geralt or similar a thousand times over a blank silent character.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Captainicus posted:

It doesn't feel like there is any build up at all as to why Nobunaga dies in the temple when he should be a major character, considering the setting/time period.

You are aware that Nobunaga died in that temple at that time IRL, yes?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Warden posted:

You are aware that Nobunaga died in that temple at that time IRL, yes?

I am aware, I mean that in game it doesn't feel like he achieves anything. It feels like you meet him, then you do a small number of random missions which do not feature nobunaga and you kill a bunch of yokai, then he dies off screen. I don't get the impression that he was a mighty warlord at all, when it feels like that is how he should be portrayed in game (especially if you consider his Nioh 1 appearance).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

While it's not as cinematic/dramatic to have Nobunaga die off-screen, I feel Nioh 2 struck a chord with me in a good way in that you weren't the ultimate hero: you were a small part in a country-rending war. Even with your great powers and abilities, so much happened around you, beyond your control.

As someone who doesn't consume much TV/movies/comics, it does sort of bug me in video games when you're relegated to The One Dude Who'll Save Everything, no matter the context. I get why it happens most of the time especially for the reasons of making a clear and engaging narrative but I sometimes tire of it. I do appreciate--and in Nioh 2's case--prefer, having a name yet not being the one who will Turn The Tide of Battle. It was honestly refreshing. So I didn't mind it as much. Then again, I've played Samurai Warriors for much of my life, so I've seen enough of my boy Oda getting burnt. (Which accurately reflects the other point about 'assuming people know about historical figures' :shobon: )

Edit: You know what I don't need a story for? Dick-punching Cursed Demon Gorillas

Morter fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 1, 2022

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I played through Nioh 1 and the dlcs before starting 2 and felt it was worthwhile. Even if it's less fleshed out than the systems and refinements in 2 it's still a great time and there is a lot of game there.

The Nioh collection is really just an absurd value proposition.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Nioh 1 is like the prototype for Nioh 2, it is less and worse in pretty much every way, but it is kinda the same game at the core. So if you're hungry for more Nioh and don't want to replay Nioh 2 or do new game+, then give it a shot. (New Game+ is actually pretty drat good, though)

Captainicus posted:

I am aware, I mean that in game it doesn't feel like he achieves anything. It feels like you meet him, then you do a small number of random missions which do not feature nobunaga and you kill a bunch of yokai, then he dies off screen. I don't get the impression that he was a mighty warlord at all, when it feels like that is how he should be portrayed in game (especially if you consider his Nioh 1 appearance).

Nioh 2's story, if anything, is hyper-focused. It is the story of "Hide & Yoshi", Nobunaga only matters to the degree that he impacts their story. That means he has significance in the lead up to his death when they serve him, and the fallout of it when "Yoshi" makes his play for power. But the actual event is left off-screen because neither were present and it would risk pulling focus away from them. Especially considering it is such a famous event, it is superfluous unless you specifically want to draw attention to it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I broke through to dream of the wise after complaining here previously, it really does help. But it kinda just kicked the can down the road for my reckoning with understanding all the insane gear systems, except now with red quality armor you can't craft. I still wish the game had better resources online.

As for the story in both games, I am a mid grade sengoku nerd and should be squarely in the target audience but it still doesn't really land for me at all on a deeper level than "ah they made cool high effort 3d models of X person/event". The story direction is just kinda bad all around

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Kasha's soul core is a mainstay for me because not only does it inflict fire but it continues the attack while you keep doing actions, allowing you to keep pressure.

Also pairs well with whatever the 'heal on yokai/flame hit' attribute is called.

blackguy32 posted:

It is worse than Nioh 2 in every way (e: yeah except maybe story), but it's still pretty good. It would be a bummer to lose a lot of the QoL combat changes from 2, but if you're new to the series or just all about that Team Ninja Soulslike combat it's definitely worth a run through.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Difficulty is weird. I had trouble with Kasha then did what you guys suggested and one shot it the next time.

Then I beat the fire and ice boss second try.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

gently caress Wheelmonks

https://i.imgur.com/EIYDp7o.mp4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7FqH_jrYFg

Wolong: Fallen Dynasty just revealed at the Xbox event, from Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja. They didnt show gameplay but it looks it’s basically gonna be Nioh but in a Romance of the Three Kingdoms setting. Early 2023, will be on Game Pass at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hell yeah, I was wondering where they were gonna go after doing all the juicy parts of Japanese history. Doing Three Kingdoms stuff with their style of wild fantasy bullshit is gonna be super fun.