Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Finally got some time to play this, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The weapon variety + stances offer as much customization as expected, makes it easy to find combinations that feel good to each user. I'm also having an easier time of it starting out than I did in Bloodborne, but I can still get punished for overreaching.

Two things I wish I'd known starting out -

-Bow & arrow can single pull enemies, if you're looking to thin out a crowd
-If you do end up in a crowd, Living Weapon is a lifesaver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Annath posted:

Are those skills supposed to make dodging activate ki pulse? Because the description reads like it allows you to ki pulse while dodging, which seems like another complicated button timing thing.

It pulses when you dodge, yes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

minya posted:

what's the verdict on Nioh: I think Bloodborne is one of the best video games ever created, completely perfect from start to finish, but I'm not really a fan of Dark Souls at all (slower, clunkier gameplay, less interesting visual styles). looks like Nioh's gameplay is sort of similar to Bloodborne's, at least in speed and general complexity?

I like it a lot right now, certainly more than I did Bloodborne initially. Nioh seems more customizable and forgiving, especially early on, but it still encourages careful and thoughtful play.

It's too early for me to make a sweeping comparison. Too much content I haven't seen yet (including DLC), too new to be properly objective. But it's a lot of fun with a good balance between feeling empowered/in control and feeling challenged/overwhelmed.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Snak posted:

People on reddit are saying that one of the reasons soul matching cost seems so prohibitive is that it costs more to soul match with low familiarity. So when you have a high level item you haven't used and you're trying to use it to soul match, it's going to cost way more than if you had 100% familiarity with it. I can't check right now, but I can test it later tonight.

I've also noticed a few times that the cost is lower when burning a higher quality item - so a level 40 white item would result in a higher cost than a 40 purple. Haven't tested it enough to fully verify but possibly worth exploring.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any tricks for the tongue yokai? I've pretty much got most of them down to a science (even the tengu, as long as it's alone) but that one just randomly wrecks me sometimes

I've had the best success by being aggressive with Living Weapon as soon as they spawn. Outside of that, don't get cornered and try to use geometry against them (a rock, a pillar, etc.).

The Moon Monster posted:

Block their tongue attacks. They're tricky to dodge but they're pretty well telegraphed and will do very little ki damage if blocked. Also if you can lure them into doing their charge attack into a wall they'll have their ki drained and be stunned.

One point on this - they've got a couple different tongue attacks. If they jump back, run away because they're about to do a grab that'll go right through a block.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Unit Leader's armor is practically Ma Chao from Dynasty Warriors. Brilliant.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Sword of Discernment is great because it does a lot of ki damage and comes out REALLY fast. Highly recommend.

Seconding this. Not that it's exactly a difficult encounter, but it absolutely wrecks in Zen and Sword are One.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The autoswap's worked pretty well for me, but it's totally a UX thing. When things are chaotic enough to gently caress with target lock, it's probably a good time for me to pop LW and reassess.

Been playing this quite a lot since release, and it's clicking in a way that Bloodborne didn't for me. I think some games should have weird atmosphere like BB, but I would've enjoyed it a lot more with a smoother framerate, quicker load times, and a slightly easier intro. Nioh isn't easy at the start, but the intro mission and boss are manageable. After Onryoki, I didn't have a major problem with a boss or level until the epilogue (gently caress you clones), but even then I only died a couple times before figuring it out. The post-epilogue and NG+ modes will likely change that, but that's expected.

I was skeptical about the game leading up to release. The mission structure felt like a cop-out in 2017, but in reality it's excellent to have a clear endpoint on top of the technical benefits. The game has some solid system design, and things like Refashion show the devs know their audience. The story's alright with me partly because I'm familiar with the historical context, but also because it's cool to see a game that doesn't entirely (the protagonist is still a white dude) put American or Western experiences first for once.

Looking forward to the DLC.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Do the weapon options you select at the beginning heavily affect what you can use, or does it only determine your initial stats?

Initial stats. It's good to try other weapons, partly to find what works for you and also to learn the movesets of human enemies.

quote:

Additionally, is there any benefit from grinding for levels?

Definitely, but after a while you get diminishing returns on most missions. Much more important is skill choice and learning enemy patterns.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I made it up to the first boss (the demon you fight on the ship), but I haven't been able to beat him yet. I managed to damage him enough to get him into his second form, but I usually can't last much longer after that point.

I was curious as to whether or not the weapon you use makes things easier or harder. I find that I really like using dual swords, and so far they made for my best attempt, as I can dodge towards him while in low stance, get a couple hit in once he finishes doing his spin attack, and dash out of his range.

The two strongest weapons I have are a single-sword and an axe, but the axe doesn't seem really viable, even in low stance. I thought maybe the spear would work better, since it has a longer reach. I have one of every weapon at this point, and the only one I don't have any familiarity with is the kusarigama. I thought about maybe running around the village a bit more to gain some levels and find the rest of the kodama, but I don't know how much difference that will make.

Any weapon can work, whichever you're most comfortable with. Axe is nice since it's a hit-and-run fight - just be sure to leave enough Ki to evade or sprint after the combo. Skill-wise I recommend the Heaven -> Water skills that auto-pulse when you evade.

Really the keys are -

1) Learn his few attacks, and always leave enough space and Ki to evade or sprint.
2) After he finishes an attack, hit him in the back 2-3 times then get out. Don't get greedy.
3) Avoiding the iron balls is easy - either sprint in a straight line to the left/right or evade to the left/right just before impact.
4) If you're having issues with space, destroy the boxes around the edge of the room.

You probably don't have enough Ki and Toughness to block, so it's an evasion fight.

And if all else fails, open the back entrance and use the nearby shrine to summon a companion. Beat up phantoms (the red katana graves) if you need bowls.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

I don't like the toad boss, or the level he's in. How do you win better?

Stay close, dodge his spear and jumps, then attack from the back. Blocking can work in a pinch but it burns a lot of Ki.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Does your Revenant spawn wearing the equipment you're wearing, or does it remember what you've fashioned it into?

The former. It's why a lot of revenants look doofy in their Kingo's.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I liked it in New Vegas, played off of crafting and weight allowances and it made sense for the setting.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Destructoid liked it, said it's fun and the gameplay loop keeps them hooked. Story starts slow but gets good and ends well. More iterative than revolutionary but still quite strong and extremely fun if you enjoyed the first.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I love the mission-based structure. There's enough open world games with similar-ish gameplay. I dig those too but they're the type of game I get lost in for a while. Nioh's structure facilitates doing a mission or two when I have limited time, and there's plenty of content for when I have a bigger stretch of time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Finally picked this up last week, in Way of the Strong now. Loving it. I played a lot of Nioh 1 but tbh I was never amazing at it, couldn't get the timed guards down no matter how much I tried. Don't know if they changed the timing in 2 but hoo boy am I loving up human opponents now. Haze is so satisfying, Brute Counter equally so.

I dig the difficulty curve, especially since I didn't really notice it till I went back to Soaring to farm a boss for a smithing text. His telegraphs felt so much slower and more obvious after endgame missions.

Also, I can confirm earlier sentiments that build/gear/personal style will shape how hard/easy certain bosses are. For me, it was Daidara Bocchi. Didn't have a problem with any bosses before or after, only the big boy. Big elemental AoEs look at a blocking player and laugh.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

:perfect:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It's Lu Bu!! He's come to destroy us all!!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

All of that sounds fantastic

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The VAs go all in as well, especially the dude who plays Jack. CRUSH YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I'm playing the original and I've been scouring this from the beginning. I must've missed something: I'm doing the Umi-Bozu fight, and I don't have the ability to light the other bonfires around the arena. No prompts, no nothing. The fight's bad enough if I'm only doing chip damage against its tentacles but once the second phase kicks in I'll need all the damage I can get.

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) Talk to the NPC at the start of the level to get the item you need to start fires
2) Light the 3 fires spread out in the level; don't worry about the torches in the boss arena itself

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ulio posted:

You can beat it without the bonfire, ya... That happened to me, I didn't know what the bonfires were for and got stuck super long in the stage but it's doable.

Btw those who were asking if Nioh1 is worth playing or jump straight to Nioh 2. Nioh 1 has some really good boss fights so I think it's worth it.

Also it makes a couple late game missions in Nioh 2 that much sweeter

Like, totally earnest 1980s fistpump

Grimthwacker posted:

Oh, I have to find the other bonfires across the stage. That wasn't really telegraphed well. I should also see if I can invest in onmyo Fire Talismans to go along with the other ones I have stocked up. I always forget I have stuff like that. Thanks. Game's really good but I initially dropped it months ago due to Onryuki. Once I got going things still kicked my rear end regularly but I've gotten better!

You're in good company. That first boss fight is brutal. Only reason I did so well on it at launch is because I played the demo over and over

Game owns, and Nioh 2 is a broad upgrade

isk fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 7, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

Managed to eventually get through and got a lot of Haze II practice. That thing's just good.

Yep! Just about every human enemy became target practice once I mastered Haze

isk
Oct 3, 2007

catgirlgenius posted:

i'm playing Nioh 2 for the first time, having a lot of fun, but now that i'm out of the first region i have to wonder

was i right in assuming those big yokai bosses were not parriable? i made a few attempts with the Switchglaive mid stance parry and it just didn't pan out. i was more than a little dissappointed that the best way to beat Enenra and the snake boss was to just sneak High hits whenever i wasn't baiting attacks with Low stance

the kusarigama parry only seems to work on human enemies, too...

Yep, that's one of the big differences from Wo Long, where parry/deflect is core to the experience. In Nioh, parry is an unlockable skill, often (always?) locked to specific stances/weapons, and most only work on humans (see Morter's post for exceptions)

isk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 23, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Morter posted:

There are 2 that work on non-humans ---the fist can 'deflect/parry' most any strike that comes to it with Opportunism; and the Bolting Boar on the Odachi will slam down a lot of yokai.

I mained both these weapons in NG5. It was so much fun

Good poo poo! Will edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

All I wanted out of Jack is a committed VA performance, and he delivers

CRUSH YOU