Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

lets hang out posted:

Here's a video, I don't know what it's from, looks like parts from a bunch of cutscenes stitched together so maybe there's spoilers, anyway check out that guy at the end :hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR_nDRIQOJY

Is... is that Oda Nobunaga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Modest Mao posted:

fighting nobunaga on that burning castle 1v1 is going to be pure game

it's going to top the feeling I had as a 7 year old using omnislash on sephiroth

I hope they bring back Norio Wakamoto to voice him.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_period#Unification

I haven't played this game (no PS4), but from spoiling myself on various things I think this is basically required reading to understand the plot. The game seems to assume a level of historical knowledge that most Westerners lack.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

HGH posted:

I think my favorite of these are of Spider Castle, all either going "gently caress Nobunaga" or "gently caress our lord for pissing off Nobunaga and blowing himself up with a teapot".

Thoughts on Nobunaga himself? I watched a video of the fight and accompanying cutscenes, and really enjoyed how Nobunaga says "gently caress off" to the bad guy and just hands William his guardian spirit before buggering off back into the afterlife

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you can beat a game without using a mechanic, it is not a core mechanic.

Speedrunners being the exception.

I guess leveling up isn't a core mechanic of Dark Souls then.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

in the Abductions side mission if you summon a certain npc, instead of fighting an ubume at the end of it you fight a tesso. The ubume appears when you've cleared it to thank you for finding her lost child.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

goferchan posted:

The tonfa dojo mission is so loving hard lol. Feels like a huge difficulty spike where i'm at in the game, but I probably just need to get good, don't I? Seems like you don't really get access to any of your gear or yokai poo poo and I doubt leveling up a few more stats will make much of a difference

Someone said this earlier in the thread but the AI is not good at countering the charged heavy strike, which you can easily abuse for big damage with good timing and positioning.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I did Osakabehime on NG+ and other than readjusting to positioning to avoid the offscreen projectiles, it wasn't bad at all. I was doing enough damage to her to 2-cycle her.

That said, I think I'll be skipping it on NG++...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

That guy is hanging out in the Bird in a Cage mission in a cave, where you can feed him dung for rewards.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

In general human opponents are bad at countering long-range charge moves like Reckless Charge. I abused Through and Through with the sword to defeat Ren.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

NG+ isn't so bad and I felt pretty OP towards the end of it.

NG++ is another matter.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

Why do I get a little bit of amrita when I hit up the shrine at the start of a mission?

You get some amrita for the first visit you make to each shrine in a mission. The first one gives less than subsequent shrines in the mission.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

kung fu jive posted:

I just started really getting into this game having bought it and put maybe 2 hours in since release. I was smugly cruising through the first area until I reached Yatsu-no-kami. I must have died thirty times on that motherfucker. I have no idea what I'm doing for a build but I liked the frantic pace of Dual Swords so I've been pumping Skill and Heart. Game is good. I look forward to rage quitting more in the near future. :v:

Dual Swords are great. Get the spinning dragon skill for high stance, it does shitloads of damage. Great for putting the hurt on a yokai that's out of ki.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The DLCs on NG will drop some divine gear so don't feel the need to jump to NG+ to get ahead on the gear treadmill just yet.

I found the jump from dream of the samurai to dream of the strong to be not a big issue after completing the DLC. On later NG+ cycle ymmv depending on how much you skipped, although the new difficulty level will generally catch you up at na accelerated pace. I'm now on Dream of the Nioh and feeling pretty good about my power level.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Nah Dream of the Strong starts dropping demon parade scrolls. Each NG cycle after that has a new tier of them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I just realized that Mumyo's guardian spirit is Yao Bikuni, so uh, she may actually be as immortal as the player.

In legend Yao Bikuni ate the flesh of a mermaid and gained eternal youth, living for centuries before ending her own life.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yokai shift is actually hella powerful if you use it right, because it lets you spam yokai abilities. Easy to get confusion and/or stunlock yokai bosses with the right set of abilities.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Stances also change your evasion and block. Low stance has the best evasion, mid stance has better block, and high stance is for when you know you're not getting hit (or can tank a hit)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Abilities should auto-equip if it's the first one you've earned for that slot. Many of them are stance-exclusive though so make sure you're in the right stance.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I've had pretty good success just sprinting through the level to the shrine I want to hit. Most enemies will leash fairly quickly once you get some distance.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Isn't the grapple animation on yokai always stabbing them with your spirit stone dagger?

Only applies to Nioh 2 for obvious reasons

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

It's still there, but not quite as broken

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there usually a quicker way to end boss shadow realm phases or do you just have to deal with it?

Deplete their ki bar and the shadow realm phase will end immediately.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

God drat this loving demon slayer lady at the start of the second DLC

Minamoto no Raikou is gonna gently caress you up

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

If nothing else True and Through on the katana is super rad as an opener. I'm glad I lucked into that really early as it does a lot of work vs human bosses.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I've tried all the weapons but I just keep coming back to the katana and dual katanas. Something about them just clicked with me better than the other weapons. Helps that True and Through dropped for me the very first time I defeated Azai Nagamasa.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah my usual experience with Kasha is constantly stunning her by whacking her wheels and going to town. It's not a stunlock, I still have to avoid attacks, but dodging under her helps a lot

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Try farming Yoshitsune for his sword skill if you haven't already, because it's super good. Raikou also has one but it's not nearly as useful, looks cool though.

Azai Nagamasa drops True and Through which is one of my most used skills with the katana, it's basically Stinger from Devil May Cry.

In terms of actual build I think Katana is pretty versatile, you could probably make anything work with it as long as you focus on that (e.g. ki damage, onmyo, ninjutsu)

edit: oops, I was assuming Nioh 2. I have no specific advice for Nioh 1 as I have not played it but it should mostly work the same re: get drops for moves if they exist and focus on a build archetype

double edit: right, *Dream* of the Demon means Nioh 2

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 13, 2022

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Captainicus posted:

They better not have another bird man who is resistant to all elements because screw you, player :mad:

ITSUMADEEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Afaik it's just based on the damage you do with the weapon? As weapon levels and player levels go up damage scales up pretty drastically so later in the game weapons will gain those early proficiency points very quickly