Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
This game looks cool but it's a PS4 exclusive and TBH I'm pretty much done with buying consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

ZenVulgarity posted:

Ps4 console exclusive

Maybe PC some day??

Man I hope so because it looks awesome as hell and Koei is on a bit of a "Bring everything to PC" kick these past couple years.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Uncle Wemus posted:

Do they explain why a westerner named william is in old japan?

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Shima Honnou posted:

This game looks cool but it's a PS4 exclusive and TBH I'm pretty much done with buying consoles.

Quoting myself from the first page, now that this game's on PC I've played it basically nonstop since release and it is fantastic.

Worst yokai are kusarigama yoki ninjas gently caress them and their infinite attacks. Wheelmonks are easy, get close so they breathe fire and then just run around the back of them for an instant knockdown. You can also just dodge around them when they rush after doing donuts and do the same. Go to the left of them since they keep their vulnerable face on the left side when rolling.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Sloth Talismans are amazing, on everything except Hino-Enma where they make it so the paralysis attack is timed just right so that I exit my dodge before she shoots.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
What exactly do the elemental effects do? I understand fire and poison as a DOT and paralysis is self-explanatory, but I'm not sure exactly what wind, earth, water, and electricity do.

Also, about when will I start finding gear above the 150 mark? I'm on Way of the Strong just past the Umibozu and starting to feel like my gear is slowing me down more than anything.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Alright, that helps. I've been using a Dragon Sword that I matched up to +4 and rolled earth on it. Guess I need to start making burner items to get the matching higher overall on my poo poo.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you get a Majina to do high five and you respond it doesn't do a high fiving animation with you 0/10 game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I can't remember but it might be linked to the crystal in the pit. You could wait for it to walk away a bit since I remember it moves around and doesn't automatically aggro when you step in, rush to the crystal and hit that poo poo with some iai attacks.

Otherwise sloth and weakness it then slap it in the chest when it lights up.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Iai worked for me on crystals without loving with most of the guard enemies even in Way of the Strong so IDK.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Do revenants drop perfect clones of the player's equipment or is it scaled? Basically what I'm wondering is if all these 150-250 dorks who died in their Warrior of the West and Tatenashi haven't been plussing their gear or if the game is just a dick about it and scaling them down to +0 when they drop.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
drat, so no feeding my +8 armor and sword for a while then.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah they fixed this once they realized everyone was just farming revs for gear (not that that wasn't awesome)

drat.

Also, gently caress Flowing Shadow is a good-rear end move, I wish I'd known about and used it sooner. poo poo seems to just do crazy damage plus it moves you out of the way of counterattacks, hell yes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Early in the game I farmed them by flipping on the kodama blessing which basically let me top up my health every fight until I got better at the game, but now I'm at the point where I haven't used the elixir kodama in ages but I somehow managed to gather over 800 in stock just from playing.

I couldn't beat the boss of Tohoku 1 after beating the main game, so I went into Way of the Strong and twilight missions until I had some decent gear and a few more levels. It can be useful to go into a hard (300+) mission on Way of the Strong and just jam it full of cups so you get some drops, let yourself die a bunch, himorogi out and enjoy the spoils.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you've got all 5 healing kodamas for the region enemies poo poo elixirs pretty hard, like I'm pretty sure I've had them drop stacks of 2 or 3 at a time and virtually every enemy drops one. You can stock up if it's becoming a problem staying healed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Azran posted:

I got all the Kodamas in Way of the Samurai. Am I correct in assuming I don't have to go hunting for them in the other difficulties?

Once you got them you're good, yeah. Unless they reset in even later difficulties, but I'm not past Way of Strong. There are some in the Osaka sieges as well if you haven't gone through all of it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Snak posted:

I honestly wasn't trying to be a dick.

I just feel like if, in a game where you can't run out of healing items, you constantly find yourself running out, the answer is not to try to find a way to get more, but to find a way to use less.

The thing I said about not being able to beat a boss with only 3 elixers was meant to be a bit non-serious. I'm sorry that the tone came across wrong.

Rolling health up on amrita gain and health up on regular attack with your gear really helps as well, as it is I gain something like 300 HP per kill and it helps keep trash enemies from making me need elixirs.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Is there actually a difference between a katana and a tachi or do they just have different icons because gently caress it why not?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Tengu aren't so bad once you get used to them, the biggest pissoff with them is they have huge HP bars and the game loves trying to lure you into fights where it's a tengu and something else. Dodge to your right when they swing, dodge backwards when they kick, it's not too hard to get them locked into trying to hit and then kick you. Flowing Shadow also fucks them up like it does everything else, because you can lock them into futilely doing their spinkick over and over while you become a typhoon of death.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

I don't know the answer to that, but I really wish items specified what slot they go in because it's really hard at a glance to tell if the item I just picked up is a hat, a shirt, or pants just based on the name. It takes an annoying extra second to be like "what is a Waraji, oh a Waraji is shoes okay" and it's a real petty complaint but it gets old after sorting my inventory a whole lot.

There's icons next to the items you pick up in the readout. I can't remember if you gotta turn those on or not but it'll show you shoe, chestpiece, helmet, etc when you grab them with that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I think you're good when you get the message saying you got them all.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fargin Icehole posted:

Quick update, Maria is kicking my rear end silly.

EDIT: Okay, cool, I needed help, but I beat her. Now i'm fighting Shinobi dogs in an open battlefield.

You can also dress like a naruto now too!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

victrix posted:

Sell or disassemble all this trash?

At first I disassembled, then I had more material than I could ever use so I started selling, now I'm at the point where I donate to clan battle for more glory.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Play deep enough into the difficulties and eventually you start making billions of souls for killing a couple basic enemies. I'm pretty sure that's not an exaggeration but there's no commas in the souls gauge and I don't feel like counting digits.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Once I got to Shigezane I wasn't good enough yet so I went into the next difficulty up and came back to him after I had some better gear and and more experience fighting harder enemies.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I think the intro said two years for a one-way trip.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
They could always inverse the formula, have Nioh 2 be us playing Hasekura Tsunenaga on his adventures in Europe and Mexico. I'm pretty sure they even indirectly reference him since he's the guy Masamune sent out and I recall the cat saying something about them probably sending an envoy out.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

DatonKallandor posted:

Ahmad ibn Fadlan as protagonist as he travels to the Vikings and helps them fight Norse amrita monsters.

I'd be very down for that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yoji Yamada's trilogy (Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade, Love and Honor) are good modern samurai movies that are more about looking at the late-stage shogunate world from the perspective of low-middle class samurai.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

I managed to make my ethereal katana do 30 percent less damage by getting greedy on reforging rolls. Is there any way to savescum reforging? It's so ridiculously expensive when trying to optimise

If you haven't hit Y/Triangle to force a save in the map, and if you haven't started a mission, just quit and reload. I've had it forget poo poo I did in the map so many times because I keep forgetting to force a save when I'm done.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The most important thing about Nioh is your blocking isn't Dark Souls blocking. You can block most attacks in a 360 degree circle around yourself, and you usually block all damage. There are attacks that pierce block, there are attacks that negate blocking altogether (grabs), but your block is otherwise perfect, so when in doubt train yourself to block instead of dodge if you're more used to Dark Souls combat.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It doesn't count if you got it off a revenant.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Unfinish3d posted:

You still have to clear a bunch of missions to unlock new regions, by filling that progress bar

Yeah but the progress bar counts any mission completed I think, not just main missions, so you could probably speedrun a difficulty by hitting up the short and easy missions as they open then hit up Queen's Eye to unlock the next difficulty and set of floors in Abyss.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

wizard on a water slide posted:

Oh, what the gently caress is with revenants? Like, how does the game determine their AI?

Because some of them literally just spam the same attack until they run out of stamina over and over and others are on some fourth-dimensional endgame PVP poo poo with no rhyme or reason as to why.

Also what's with this big bitch on the bridge jfc

Think it has to do with what stance they're in. Low stancers spam like a fucker more often than not.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Ah, thank you. Follow-up question: when you say 'spend all your points on two weapons' do you mean samurai skillpoints, or the governing stat, or both? Like, if you want to do spears+swords, you'll have really good Health + Ki scores to go with, but if you want Tonfa+Axes you'll be more fragile (because your stats will be mainly in Strength+Skill)?

Don't worry about it too much. At the start gently caress around and pick whatever weapons you like and focus on getting their trees unlocked, but later on you'll hit a point start getting like 10+ points per level. The caveat here is use every weapon until you max your proficiency with the class so you get all the free samurai skills plus unlock the later dojo missions for them.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 19, 2018

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

wizard on a water slide posted:

Actually, come to think of it, iai dude and the lady samurai ally were the same way. Anybody whose take on this game is "ugh, they made another white savior narrative" presumably never played it, because I'm pretty sure William is the weakest man in Japan.

William was a real person, believe it or not, and actually had a somewhat important role (although obviously not save the world levels) so it's not like they made him out of whole cloth, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Azran posted:

You can change appearances in the Tea House. Female characters are hilariously overpriced but they are there, at least.

Basically just always donate some trash to the weekly war and you'll get enough glory for everything after enough time. Being on the winning side basically means you get enough for one of the ladies. The real shame is you don't get other outfits so I, to my knowledge, can't run with Tome's white outfit that I like more than the other one.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Max Wilco posted:

Does Tome get different outfits? :confused:

After a certain point she starts swapping between a white outfit and an orange one. The orange one is the outfit you get when you transform to her.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've seen the graveyard in the Huntress mission before but I couldn't figure out what the deal with that was or why all those revenants were wearing nothing when they died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I was actually impressed that they added a few new things to the higher difficulties. Eventually you start fighting basically elite enchanted enemies and bosses, they start mixing up enemy placement and composition on some maps, and they add new moves to some of them to try to trip you up. That said I don't recall if WotNioh specifically did anything else above Wise or whatever the second-hardest difficult was.