Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Why is this PS4 only did sony help with developement ala SF5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ArclightBorealis posted:

I absolutely appreciate that Team Ninja is making it so that roughly half of the total weapons in the game will be carry overs from Ninja Gaiden II (Katana, Dual Swords, Kusari-Gama, and now Tonfa). That game's arsenal is one of the absolute best in character action games.

I'll admit, I was thinking Ninja claws or something like an extension of bare handed would be next, but this is even better. If they're sufficiently fast enough, I might have something to get me to swap out dual swords for this.

Ya imo Ninja Gaiden II is among the best beat em ups right up there with Bayonetta, DMC.

Team Ninja always make games that feel great even though they mess up some other things.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

For the discussion of comparing Nioh's difficulty to Dark Souls.

I feel like Dark Souls is very hard at the start/mid part and everything can beat 1 shot you.

Nioh is kinda the opposite you have a lot available to you right at the start. There is lots of lot, special abilities enemies don't have. So the game is a breeze in the first half. It does get harder as you go on.

They have different difficulty curves despite having lots of other similarities.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

For whatever reason I set the game down to play some other stuff right as I was at the final boss of the main game and now months later I'm thinking about getting back into it but I think I've forgotten all the controls all over again. This is going to go well.

Ya i've done this with a bunch of games and it never works out well. I end up having to start all over again. You should start over even though you might not remember specifics but once you are in the moment vs bosses you beat before you start remembering their weaknesses.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

There is a developer interview on Sony's e3 live stream later today. 4:45 PT. I wonder how far they are in development and if they will reveal the protag.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

lets hang out posted:

in an interview just now they said that nioh 2 will let you create your character, and they can be male or female

Ya just heard this. I am guessing this will be even more rpgish than the first one. I think some souls fan are not happy Sekiro is a fixed character so at least they have Nioh 2 for that.

Also they said that you will have Yokai powers.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

I hope Nioh 2 also launches on pc. I don’t really like playing on consoles anymore. :(

Doubt it will launch for PC. It's probably gonna be a few months later.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

It is a hard Japanese action rpg. But ya there aren't the same game like many people make them out to be. It's just most people are lazy especially journalists and especially when anything is remotely similar to a Soulsborne game. I mean there is a reason it became a meme. This is the dark souls of blank.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

JBP posted:

I bought Nioh because it looked like Ninja Gaiden and is was not disappointed. The only think soulsy is you lose your xp when you die and have to go pick it up.

I was hoping for a Ninja Gaiden sequel but I guess it will have to wait with Nioh 2. At least they could remaster it, drat Team Ninja!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally started Nioh 1 for the first time as a massive fan souls and team ninja's previous games. I am already loving it quite a bit. I just got a few questions.

-I have already managed to nail down ki flux, changing stance while doing ki pulse although I am not sure what benefit of changing stance is in combat yet. I normally start off in low then mid then go high as they are about to die. If anyone could explain, are the stances usage just depend on the enemy type? I am just switching over n over on same enemy not sure if there is any benefit but it feels good.
-What's the point of main weapon and 2ndary weapons? I thought you wouldn't be able to equip other weapons but it seems you get drops/can equip anything? Is it just a initial attribute boost toward those weapons main stats?
-At start I was fighting all the remnants I found. There seems to be a lot of them in some areas. Is the main reason to fight them for better loot and farming amrita?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Captainicus posted:

Slightly more specifically:
High stance generally has the strongest or furthest reaching attacks, but they tend to be slower, and your dodge is replaced with a slow roll.
Mid stance makes blocking drain a significant amount less ki and its attacks tend to be well balanced. Most counter/parry type special moves are mid stance only. If you dodge twice in a row, the second dodge in mid stance will be a slow roll.
Low stance generally has short range, low damage but rapid attacks. When you dodge in low stance, you will always quickly sidestep and never do the slow roll.
If you're playing light armor, your ki recovery is much faster than heavy armor so you won't get a huge amount of benefit out of ki flux. If you are playing heavy armor, you will appreciate any extra scrap of ki recover you can get.

Picking main and secondary weapon in the intro was just for some very minor stat bonuses and your chosen weapons are given to you in the first mission. You can always equip any weapon so those choices basically don't matter at all.

Revenants are just for minor amrita or equipment drops. You can get gear drops from whatever the revenant you kill is wearing, so in Nioh 1, 99% of them will be using the Warrior of the West set early in the game (an unremarkable suit of medium armor), and later in the game more and more will be using the Red Demon set (a suit of light armor with bonus ki recovery or something like that). Outside of those two sets, you won't realistically be able to get a whole lot out of revenant farming. If you like heavy armor, you are out of luck.

EDIT: Oh other people beat me to the roll related stuff.

Alright thanks.

Also what is the titles boost thingy? Should just I dump all my points right away? I don't know if I should keep them or what. And what is up with the abilities, I can't seem to do any of the sword abilities even though I press the correct buttons. Only one I can see is the y execute one which is just a animation when you press y.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Abilities should auto-equip if it's the first one you've earned for that slot. Many of them are stance-exclusive though so make sure you're in the right stance.

Ya looks like the first one and I have right stance/weapon.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah spend the title points, it's another thing you can respec later if you want.

You need to go to the "assign abilities" menu to enable most of your abilities. Or is it "customise skills"? Something like that

Is this in the menu or shrines? In shrines I could assign jutsu/magic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

In the menu. It's one of the options alongside inventory/titles/etc

Ok it was all assigned, I am stupid I was using a Odachi all along but upgrading skills for sword. I just thought the giant sword was a katana for some dumb reason. I was so deadset on using Katana but was playing with Odachi the last 5 hours lol, feels like this game will have lots of replay value.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man Umi Bozu was tough without lighting up the bonfires. It's devious that the devs placed the boss gate so early on, I didn't explore the eastern part of the map to light the 2 other bonfires, I thought I could explore it after I finished the boss. I didn't even realize you could use the fire from the bonfire until my 2nd run on the mission.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still loving Nioh 1, 2 things I noticed though every npc loses their sword on average at least twice, every level is at night or slightly dark ambiguous time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ulio posted:

Still loving Nioh 1, 2 things I noticed though every npc loses their sword on average at least twice, every level is at night or slightly dark ambiguous time.

Forgot to add seems like there is also lots of big breasted yokai women.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How far am I? I just defeated Ogress in Nioh 1.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Bit less than halfway though you're over the hump difficulty wise so it'll go faster. Least that's how I found it.

Oh ok, I just checked howlongtobeat I guess me replaying almost all the missions multiple times added a lot to my game time. I am like at 45hours already while that site is saying main story is only 45hs.

Really enjoying it thus far. I feel like overall I haven't been really stuck on any of the bosses too long but it's been a good mix of difficulty. Reminds me of DS1 where Capra Demon early on was a challenge but if you get through that everything is manageable. In this I feel like Hino Enma was definitely that early challenge. I wonder if there will be another huge spike in difficulty ala Ornstein/Smough mid game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats the cure to the puking/sickness debuff in the defiled castle level nioh 1?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Navaash posted:

To get rid of it right away, roll into a water barrel or use Fragrant Wood. Otherwise get out of the poo poo (that's actually what it is, you're trapising in the castle's sewer because you can't assault it from the front) and wait.

Thanks, managed to get through without figuring that out. 2 bosses in 1 level was a pleasant surprise.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a way to load a beaten level and teleport to a bonfire that is further out in a level?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Navaash posted:

edit: on further consideration you're probably playing William, who does not have Sneak Thief. He can have Suppa scrolls, though. That + Tiger-running + Catwalking should get you to where you want to be quickly, provided you don't get too close to a mob or run under a mob on the ceiling (they will still ambush) or similar linedef trigger that will force aggro. If you mean a full-on Souls-style teleport, though, no.

There are times when this isn't effective, though, such as when you have an NPC with you (mobs will still see them), in which case just run like a madman, or particular points in the game where you can't progress without clearing gauntlets or mid-bosses.

Ok thanks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I've had pretty good success just sprinting through the level to the shrine I want to hit. Most enemies will leash fairly quickly once you get some distance.

Yes I guess that works too lol except when loving fire wheels are chasing you.

Also I don't get how some people finished the game so quickly, just thinking of some of the levels where I had to farm a bit to level up.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is it worth offering items for amrita and does the kodama bonus apply to offerings or only amrita earned from kills?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I never really bothered unless my inventory was super full and only amrita earned from kills

Ok ya the amrita seems pitiful, but seems like a good way to clear out your inventory.

I feel like I gotten into a good groove, some areas I felt like I was underleveled or got stuck on but I have managed to run through all the bosses on very little tries and some of them in first try especially since Yuki Onna bosses been easier or I got better.

E:Otani seemed threatening but I got him on the first try, Shima Sakon was a good challenge though that lightning phase that gives him armor + the sweeping poo poo he does that one shots u is quite fun.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 7, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress on level 111 that first revenant type enemy is completely broken, you just can't cancel any of his attacks. I hate it when the game throws enemies that have so much invincible frames in all their attacks.

E: Oh wait the boss is in the middle of the open field and he can attack you from miles away. This level will be fun.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 8, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Navaash posted:

I had to go back and check which mission you were refering to. Yeah, that one's amusing.

With clever movement you can pop the corrupted crystals without triggering a single revenant.

If you need boss help:

Smack a foot first then run up to the head and use your most spammy ability or LW since you can't exhaust your ki in the pure pools. Once he gets up, repeat. If your gear is good enough, he'll die the second time (maybe even first). If not, you'll have to ki break a hand which is easier said than done since any block will ki break you and any missed dodge will likely kill you.

Ya the level was not that bad, it was definitely hard with super tough enemies and very few trash enemies. I think my gear was slightly underleveled I had to make him drop 3 times maybe or 4 not sure. I upgraded afterward the mission though. I read somewhere the level on the mission is what your gear level should be and not your character? Is that correct?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

It doesn't really correspond well to either, and I would advise you instead to simply think of them as progression indicators relative to each other. They do a better job with the mission level curve in Nioh 2 than Nioh 1, but it was still way off for me.

Ya cause I been like 5-10 level below on some of the levels but had not much difficulty so I was wondering what it means.

One thing that I heard lots of people complain about Nioh was how the game uses the level system instead of a consistent world. I actually like it a lot, because of this I have already replayed all the bosses multiple times since they are so fun. Just got done with Mitsunari that was super fun. The big giant skeleton boss is the only boss I didn't replay because you have to destroy the shards in the level to get rid of his aura thingy in the boss arena.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

In Nioh 1 after the battlefield of Sekigahara stage, the levels get quite a bit more elaborate. Really liking the longer levels because I felt alot of the earlier levels were just straight lines.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Sword and Odachi are my favorites.

Dual swords were pretty popular in Nioh 1 because it had incredibly solid moveset.

This is what I been playing through with in my first run. I will probably reroll in ng+ if I can.

Odachi is so broken for farming revenants. Once you get mystic arte and few skills in the sword you can do some nutty things.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure if it's the last mission since the game continues but the Nobunaga/Edward Kelley stage was insane. Great visually and a true gauntlet of bosses.

Started the mission after with the two bosses at once. That seems annoying.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 14, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So the game is not over even after credit roll? I was gonna play anyway but was wondering.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress just started Way of The Strong, Onyroki took me an hour.

Btw when should I do the dlc? I just started way of the strong and got ability to enhance guardian spirits.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 16, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Navaash posted:

You reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to go into the DLC with some divine (green) ilvl 150 gear at +2 or +3. Because of the timing of when the first DLC originally came out, it assumes you've played at least some of Way of the Strong (NG+). If you attempt to go into the DLC straight up from the end of NG, you WILL get destroyed. In particular, the boss of the first DLC zone will just eat you alive if you're undergeared. I was able to make my way there, though it was a slog, but after the 20th straight one-shot death to that fucker my reaction was "gently caress it, gonna get some gear".

Once you're at the point you can defeat the first DLC boss, it is possible to clear the rest of the DLC without going back into NG+. It still isn't easygoing, though - the second DLC boss is tuned really damned hard.

In this sense, the sequel's DLC is much better tuned in that it's possible to complete all but one or two missions at the very end of the last DLC without having to start dipping into higher difficulties.

Take advantage of how NG+ works, though. Maybe you've noticed already but: You do not have to do main missions at all in NG+ to unlock more zones in the same cycle. The only thing that matters is completion rate, which displays on the difficulty select screen - when the bar fills to the next notch, the next set of zones unlocks. The only zone that's mandatory is The Queen's Eyes, since it gates access to the next NG+ cycle, so the real challenge to progression is getting past the hellacious three-Kelleys-in-a-tiny-room fight.

Alright thanks I'll do that. I been avoiding the side missions in way of the strong but doing every main mission so far. Btw is the stats cap at 99?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How many skills should you try to max out? I been mainly playing as a sword user with light armor, no magic or ninjutsu, I also use odachi as 2ndary, so I been mainly leveling heart and strength. Realistically how many skills should prioritize?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

You can easily max out at least 2 weapon types. You should put some points into magic and ninjutsu tho.

Onmyo magic has useful buffs and ninjutsu has quic change scrolls that revive you on death.

Monolith. posted:

You should absolutely dip into magic or ninjutsu as you will need all the tools you can get. Big stamina eating weapons like the Odachi love the stamina recharging talisman.

My current build is 200 strength, 150 stamina, 60 magic, 100 con, 60-70 heart and courage. I don't use ninja stuff as that's my co-op partner's job.

Ok so i'll add some magic I guess.

Btw what's the +1 next to some divine equipment?

Ulio fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 19, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Using soul match to combine an item with another item that has equal or greater +value will raise the +value of the base item. If you take a +1 item and meld a +1 into it, it becomes +2. If you take a +1 and add a +3 to it, it becomes +2. This is the new equipment grind.

Oh ok.

Any tips for Umibozu in wots? I am just attacking him when he does his blast and his tentacle strike but i feel like the dmg is so low unless I do fire talisman and I run out since I have only 2 charges, how do I increase charges?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Navaash posted:

Put more points into it. Or, use an onmyo brush to restore charges. It's not an easy item to get though and it only restores 33% of the charges, so maybe put more points into it first. Alternatively, use the fire talismans that are droppable and don't require investment into a skill tree.

If you're really stuck, Hyotokko Masks wreck him hard.

vv he's playing the first Nioh, not the sequel. William doesn't use Soul Cores. (He doesn't need Soul Cores :getin: )

Ya I managed to get him with 2 charges and using the masks which I didn't use previously. I had to relearn the boss fight because I think the first time I beat him I got lucky. I managed to beat him without using potions just not getting him. I noticed if you try to run from his abilities he has way higher chance of hitting you but if you just dodge last second it is actually alot less riskier.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I am doing Way of The Strong and the same time finishing the dual boss fights on samurai difficulty. Any tips for the Obsidian + Nobunaga fight? There is a series of revenant just before that I end up wasting all my pots vs.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Yes my suggestion is to wait and do that fight later, that one is a huge huge pain in the rear end

Cool, btw what do you think of respecing before maxing my build? I basically have finished the whole main campaign on normal with sword/odachi and finished half the campaign on way of the strong with same build. Sword is really fun but Odachi is boring. I am thinking of respecing to try out the other weapons before I burnout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What the gently caress is wrong with the soldiers in the winter dlc. Also my man Date half centipede half samurai, the designs in the dlc are really terrifying and great.

E; drat Date is annoying, I keep getting him to 10% hp but when he gets a enchantment buff he doesn't recoil to any hits and I keep getting baited by his low stamina bar.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 31, 2021