Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I've got this downloaded but don't want to dabble, need to sink a good couple of hours into it. Seems pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Was keen to try the Alpha for this but for some reason forgot I had it. Jumped into the Beta today as a first look and man this game feels great already.

He's a quick mashup of my first half hour or so with the Beta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKkzOpsN57Y

Feelings early on:
First impressions of Nioh for me are pretty good.

On the downside, which is minor, the graphics need to be turned up as it looks almost pixelly in places. There doesn't seem to be much enemy variety beyond dudes wearing different armour at this early juncture. Felt that the character was not really 'grounded' or hand any feeling of weight. That changed with the Axe/Hammer though. The spiritual systems aren't really well explained? Maybe essentially being a demo limits how much information they can dump.

The positives so far though are huge. Combat has a great flow, reminds me of fighting in Tekken. Changing stances is meaningful and adds awesome twists to fights, I really felt this work well when using an Axe, high stance overhead double chop into low stance knee slash, uuuunnnnnhhhh. Enemies though are tough and aggressive, and they don't mind throwing them at you in numbers that feel intense and pretty overwhelming, daring you to take them on and forcing you to learn the techniques. The atmosphere feels good but could get stale if it repeats too much. The level design feels good this early on.

I love the bloodstain system of challenging ghosts for their gear. Probably the best twist on the style for me.

Not sure if I should sink my teeth further into the Beta or wait for the full release.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

The ogress doesn't gently caress around!

Trying to dodge forward through her swipes and heavy attack her, but I get hosed up in the second part of the fight.