Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's dumb how this game has an opening which serves as a tutorial, then an actual tutorial, then the first real part which teaches you the same stuff again. I dig the game though.

Is DLC a separate thing I can buy later if I want more Nioh or is it embedded in the main game like Dark Souls? Also is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is the Japan stuff happening prior to the Tower of London prologue or after it?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm really enjoying this but I wish it didn't bombard me with useless loot. Lot of inventory management between missions here.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

What do you mean by normal difficulty?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah, either :thejoke: or they misread the question. The London stuff is a prologue so by definition it happens before William goes to Japan. You escape the tower, fight Derrick, get your spirit waifu stolen by Kelley, and pursue him to glorious Nippon to get her back.

Okay, thanks for clearing. I was confused because it says you were on a mission to find Amrita for the English but were locked up to contain the secret; I couldn't tell if the game after that is William recounting that mission or going back to Japan to find Derrick.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Can I safely spread my stats around? I've been pumping into body, heart and stamina but want ninjutsu and magic powers now.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The bosses are such a blast so far. It's so Dark Souls in that respect, which is great.

When I selected my two favoured weapons at the start did this have any effect beyond the +1 stat boost?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Fighting the mortal human opponents without relying on magic and ninjitsu debuffs provided some of the most frantic, challenging fights I've had in these sorts of games.

Yeah, Muneshige felt like the first major test of skills. The vampire lady was a roadblock but easy once I figured her moveset out. I've only done 6 bosses so far but there's not a dud among them. I initially groaned at Giant Centipede thinking it would suck but it was surprisingly fun. Also I'm glad I got the obligatory "poison everywhere" level outta the way. gently caress that room with the firewheels on the bridges.

I'm finding I'm changing things up way more often than in Dark Souls, where I generally didn't try much out on my first playthroughs. I find myself swapping between swords and spears a lot depending on the enemies/environment. None of the stats feeling as superfluous as "Faith" and "Luck" are in most cases.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 13, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I found that stabbing his face with a spear while he does the lightning beam knocks him out.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I started with just the sword but was having trouble against ogres and embraced the range of the spear. I actually find ogres easier than the red demons.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don't mind repeating maps for different missions but the same map in different regions is unimpressive.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Can't be the only one who got stuck near the hot spring in The Ocean Roars Again because I couldn't see the wall monster's talisman.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 13, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

why is a water boss weak against fire?
why is a lightning boss weak against water?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

yeah and I'm trying to figure out the elemental rules because they're weird. in most games a water enemy would be vulnerable to lightning, not the other way around.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 13, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Umi-Bozu is telegraphed with the fires, and you get small versions of him to experiment on. Personally they always seemed less like made of water to me and more like oil or goo, so the fire was sort of natural.

Nue seems pretty straightforward - lightning/water being opposed is pretty common. Now some of the other bosses are just strange and you'll either figure out the weaknesses by accident or just check your pokedex after you've beaten them.

Yeah I only figured out Umi-Bozu's weakness by accident when I got exasperated by the low attack damage and tossed a fire bomb. My bad for not being clued in by the smaller ones being insta-killed by the torches.

Geez I thought I'd be someway through the game now but just saw the main mission list and I'm only about 1/4th.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I like learning about the guy who destroyed his teaware and Oda Nobunaga while I slay demons. Nioh is quality edutainment.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I just assumed the bosses are like Pokemon.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

As much as I can't resist using the living weapon in boss fights I wish there was an incentive to not use it, like less Amrita.

Icy halberd boss is my favourite so far. That lunge and stab in the second phase is hellish but once I got into the rhythm of avoiding it I found it easier than the first phase.

I'm getting a bit tired of repeating enemy types. I wouldn't mind it if they didn't seem to level up alongside me and take roughly the same amount of attacks to defeat. The ogres and red demons are just boring at this point.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Do you ever spend a substantial amount of cash in this game? All I've done so far is replenish ammo between missions. The blacksmith never gains anything useful to buy or forge (beyond slightly better versions of weapons I already have). I'm thinking of just offering all my loot to the kodama for Amrita.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Okay. It's a little odd that the game holds off on this stuff until late/NG+. I can't see myself playing NG+ unless it's radically different, since the base game is already much bigger than I assumed.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

It was just on sale for a few weeks.

I bought it for $20 extra right before that. :argh:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

What's that gaseous status effect you get in the Edo Castle sewers?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I've learned that mid-stance spear thrust + backwards dodge + repeat makes fights against most human AI an easy affair since they're locked into pursuing you at that distance.

The mid-stance spear leg trip is my fave move by far.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm kinda over Nioh. I'm probably about 3/4 through (Kelley just unleashed that big monster) and am over the unvarying enemy types and situations. I don't feel I've learned any new dimensions to combat or enemies in a good while and am just going through the motions to get to the cool boss fights. It lacks the sense you get in Dark Souls that you've transformed into a beefcake and feel more powerful with every level up and swing of your weapon.

Also that side mission where you have to fight two bird people at once is loving aggravating. I managed it once but got killed by the next enemy and threw in the towel.

Good game overall.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Magus42 posted:

Get a better build? I very much had that feeling while playing.

It's not that I'm having trouble. It's that fighting the same enemy types while they level up alongside me, with little change beyond modified skins and a couple of additional attacks, makes my increased strengths largely invisible to me. The poison-vomit yokai take nearly as many attacks to take down now as at the start of the game, while the firewheels are as much of a poo poo as they always were.

Genocyber posted:

But if you just go for what's effective you'll get bored quickly
Yeah, that's basically me from about the halfway point, except against bosses, which are a blast to strategize over. If something works, I don't see the point in shifting gears.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 31, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, it's missing those little shots of adrenaline you get in RPGs when you beef up your stats and start owning enemies until they gradually catch up to your level. I need my fix!!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

It's so hard to unlearn the Dark Souls lesson of dodging if you take a hit. In Nioh 2 you're transfixed while they hack into you! I'm trying to guard more but it's so WRONG.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is "recommended level" significant in Nioh 2? I've done the first two levels and a sub-mission and the nearest RL for something new is four levels above me. I hope grinding isn't a necessary thing here. I've been pretty thorough exploring the levels.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Don't pay it too much mind. It's just supposed to be a rough indicator of a power level. Presumably for people less confident about things.

What's much more important is the five symbols (I think they are supposed to be graves or something?) because they are adaptive. I don't know the exact rules but both your level and your equipment plays a role in how many of those are displayed. And if you beat a, for example, mission with 3 of the things it'll go down to 1 after you beat it. But even that is best seen as just some very rough and unreliable way of telling you how hard something is because what it really boils down to in Nioh, especially early on, is how fast you pick up on the game's systems and how well you use your weapon/s and other tools.
Thanks. I happened to beat the sub-mission I was four levels below first try (it was a wave battle) so I'm not too worried. I'm surprised the recommended level jacks up so fast though. I dunno how you could meet it without grinding.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is corruption just purity for non-yokai, as in useless against yokai?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Pretty happy to have beaten the hell snake in four tries. The demon boss before that took a lot more.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

What does the counter next to the amrita counter represent? The patterned circle that I've so far only seen at 1 or 2.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Cat with knives for arms - what a loser! Got him first try!

snoremac fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 24, 2021

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is the axe best at staggering? I've been using it since the start so don't have any comparisons to make.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

How far through the main game am I if the last boss I beat was the bull spider?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Like halfway I think?
Cheers. I assumed roughly that.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Kasha is a daunting pushover. She's easier than the blue wheel skulls throughout the level. After getting owned a lot by the bull spider thing I thought I was in for more but her attacks just don't do enough damage.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The boss difficulty is really all over the place in this game. I felt the same way, I spent way more time on Gyuki than Kasha. Also it kind of annoys me that going for the back legs on the former seems to be a trap because the way it moves makes it totally not worth it (same for the whole dam slam mechanic) - really the most optimal way to deal with that thing seems to be to just hug its nuts and dodge slightly forwards when it goes for the grab attack, then just wail on it, which is functional but boring for such a big boss.
I gave up on the legs after a couple tries and went with the same move. It was too tense to be boring for me and I was very satisfied finally toppling it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Boss difficulty changes with build a lot of times. Like, why bother with fighting tarancherla how you're supposed to when you can get a move for hatchets that spins and then launches a massive multihit AOE and you can get health back on every hit? Why do the Kintoki hatchet fights legit when you can endlessly kite him and take no damage the entire time because his fat rear end can't walk? Why use fists and brute mode against housewife when spear and phantom exist?
I've been running with mostly high stance axe from the start and eventually I find a way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I see Juzou the Drunkard left an impression on the developers. It was legit funny when the boss just toppled onto the floor during its dark realm phase.