Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Morter posted:

I can't tell you how much this upset me.

:catstare:

https://i.imgur.com/OiLolTM.mp4

That's weird, I definitely have killed something with explosive arrows on a miss. I wonder what's causing them not to work there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Strongly agree that 2 is much better than 1. Only thing I like better in Nioh 1 is the plot, everything else I think is improved in the second game. Having said that, I know one guy who likes the first game better because he doesn't like spells or ninja tools that aren't buffs, doesn't like the new weapons, doesn't like guardian spirits (though 1 had more variety in guardian spirit summon scrolls, the passives weren't interesting) and doesn't like yokai abilities so he always implies 1 is the better game.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I understand the compromise we have now with burst counters compared to the lock in animation parries. In an experienced player's hands, they make every human you can use them on trivial, so all the challenging humans are the ones that spam active skills (which are unparryable) or use special enemy only attacks that can't be parried. I only wish they had made non-animation lock parries like the axe and tonfa have work on any yokai attacks at all instead of just do nothing for no visible reason.

Having said that, I don't know if it is really necessary to have animation lock parries be so limited just for well practiced action game wizards, while mere mortals just don't use them at all.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

teh_Broseph posted:

And don't forget to get the drop from the first stage DLC1 DLC3 Otak fight for the upgraded charge attack version Shiftling Tree skill for whatever form you're using, seems like those have a pretty easy drop rate and are free damage.

Ask me about killing him 70 times and still not having any :shepicide:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Doman's unique spells is really cool, I use it all the time. Wish he dropped a couple more like hayabusa, Doman has a ton of great looking spells but he's stuck as the intro to the real boss.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That's probably wise, you can get re-rolls for good traits on your scrolls and save time going through the level. If you need to farm a boss that is in a mission with more than one shrine (EG Katsui for the hatchet special) you can quit to main menu when you are at the end of the mission but haven't pressed continue on the yellow fog in the boss area, and it will respawn the boss and reset you to the shrine. Can save you time if you don't have a scroll.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The hitbox on that attack definitely sucks, I've died to that same thing. You could have avoided having to dodge if you activated yokai shift instead, you can even do that when out of ki to recover more quickly and be invinicible in the transform sequence but there is a whole lot going on in a boss battle so it can be an easy thing to forget

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I would say grapples are generally stronger that final blows as they deal a bit more damage in normal cases. Some grapple replacers are even better like Izuna Drop for sword/fists that lets you recharge your ki while performing it but doesn't let the enemy regen any so you can get them stuck in a loop.

As far as special moves that also grapple like splitstaff kick, I'd generally rate them as weaker in pure damage than an actual grapple but easier to land as they have ki drain built in/long range/other useful properties.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

:hai: The best way to play

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ulio posted:

Finally started Nioh 1 for the first time as a massive fan souls and team ninja's previous games. I am already loving it quite a bit. I just got a few questions.

-I have already managed to nail down ki flux, changing stance while doing ki pulse although I am not sure what benefit of changing stance is in combat yet. I normally start off in low then mid then go high as they are about to die. If anyone could explain, are the stances usage just depend on the enemy type? I am just switching over n over on same enemy not sure if there is any benefit but it feels good.
-What's the point of main weapon and 2ndary weapons? I thought you wouldn't be able to equip other weapons but it seems you get drops/can equip anything? Is it just a initial attribute boost toward those weapons main stats?
-At start I was fighting all the remnants I found. There seems to be a lot of them in some areas. Is the main reason to fight them for better loot and farming amrita?

Slightly more specifically:
High stance generally has the strongest or furthest reaching attacks, but they tend to be slower, and your dodge is replaced with a slow roll.
Mid stance makes blocking drain a significant amount less ki and its attacks tend to be well balanced. Most counter/parry type special moves are mid stance only. If you dodge twice in a row, the second dodge in mid stance will be a slow roll.
Low stance generally has short range, low damage but rapid attacks. When you dodge in low stance, you will always quickly sidestep and never do the slow roll.
If you're playing light armor, your ki recovery is much faster than heavy armor so you won't get a huge amount of benefit out of ki flux. If you are playing heavy armor, you will appreciate any extra scrap of ki recover you can get.

Picking main and secondary weapon in the intro was just for some very minor stat bonuses and your chosen weapons are given to you in the first mission. You can always equip any weapon so those choices basically don't matter at all.

Revenants are just for minor amrita or equipment drops. You can get gear drops from whatever the revenant you kill is wearing, so in Nioh 1, 99% of them will be using the Warrior of the West set early in the game (an unremarkable suit of medium armor), and later in the game more and more will be using the Red Demon set (a suit of light armor with bonus ki recovery or something like that). Outside of those two sets, you won't realistically be able to get a whole lot out of revenant farming. If you like heavy armor, you are out of luck.

EDIT: Oh other people beat me to the roll related stuff.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Heavy armored blocking man is my favourite way to play these games, I really like how different it can feel when you do different kinds of fights in heavy compared to light. Except Yorimitsu randomly having ki damage through the roof despite just using a sword :mad:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The Walrus posted:

I've been using hatchets, are they really that bad? I'm 14 levels underleveled for a mission in world 3 and it's kicking my rear end. maybe time to try fists.

Honestly, I'd say hatchets are stylish but bad. Their direct damage per hit is flat out low compared to other weapons, and any active skill to throw the hatchet costs a ton of ki. You can use them to slowly wear away tough enemies by throwing and running and recovering ki, if that is what you wished to do, but they won't be as good as any other weapon close up. I'd played Nioh1 a half a dozen times and jumped right on hatchets when I first started Nioh2 and I immediatly noticed how I was struggling on the second boss and wiped the floor with him first attempt when I swapped back to two-handed axe.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If you do a grapple in yokai shift on a human enemy, it does that grapple. If you perform a burst counter that drops a yokai to zero ki and you press grab, it automatically follows up that burst counter with that grapple.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

ToxicToast posted:

I loved the first Nioh and just got Nioh 2 for PC and drat is this game amazing and a huge improvement every way over the first one. How is this game not more popular? It is the perfect combination of Diablo and Souls for me. Also love how easy it is to co-op now with just creating a room and having a blast. Also the funniest coincidence is I just finished watching the Age of the Samurai documentary on Netflix and this game is pretty much a retelling of that!

From what I've seen from Twitch streams of Nioh and similar, Nioh is less popular because of one of these reasons:
-'Bad enemy variety, wow there are still red yoki everywhere'
-People literally not interacting with the game mechancis at all and beating the story with highstance odachi with no active skills while doing the one-hit-then-roll strat like dark souls, then thinking it is boring
-Obsessive persons who see random item stats and dismiss the game because they think it will be grind heavy or too tedious because they HAVE to pick everything up in case they get a god item
-Not liking it be individual missions, they want dark souls 'interconnectivity' in which the world is full of areas 30 seconds apart that have arbitrary overlooks or elevators that lead into one another so you can pretend it is a smart, joined world but it is really just the usual video game theme park because realisitic sized travel time/cities would be bad

I think 2 and 4 are the biggest ones, some people play an action game like souls and press r1 twice then roll spam on a boss one hundred times in a row and think that is peak action game and they don't like anything that doesn't match. I was smarmy about dark souls world in point 4 but I think that shadow hangs over every action rpg game with a stamina bar and leveling up, you may have heard of the increasingly overused moniker of 'soulslike'.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ok, I appreciate you disagree with me but I don't think I need to derail this thread and argue about it, laugh at my dumb post and move on if you wish

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

feelix posted:

This is true, but also I'm not sure how it's relevant. The problem is precisely that a lot of people end up playing the game in a way that is NOT fun. I know it's tempting to blame the player for continuing to do something that is unfun, but a well-designed game unobtrusively and invisibly steers the player to play it in a way that is fun.

I see where you are coming from, I don't have a problem with people playing one button builds in a singleplayer game or one button builds being (very) good in a singleplayer game but I do think it is silly to blame the game for a one button build being good and the specific feeling of it obseleting others is a personal problem, not a design one. You might feel the opposite and think it is poor design and it is foolish to blame the player for wanting max efficiency even if it is boring. This game definitely doesn't steer you into anything interesting, it is all on you to try new moves/spells/items/guardian spirit summons, etc.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I think as far as confusion goes you can get some confusion duration up but it still gets worse with each application so the second and third are very short - I think to get the most value from it you should carefully time it so you can hit it when the enemy is out of ki or your yokai shift is ready or something like that. It might be better to specialize in one element and maintain it so the duration never runs out that go for a quick confusion application you can't follow up on.

The damage bonus for versatility is pretty hefty if you can get it up, my brief test on a ninja in the training area had my damage on a normal midstance hammer donk go from 415 damage to 664 damage (from zero versatility to max 9 stacks).

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I didn't use the tonfa mystic art for demon dance, I find when playing heavy armor the extra ki drain when you ki pulse and animation time makes it much harder to successfully guard. Might be better on light armor or if you're practiced at dodging everything with demon dance but personally I don't like moves that trigger on ki pulse.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, the actual stat for 'heaviness' is your toughness rating, your 'lightness' rating is agility. So you could put lots of points into equip load to get A rank agility and wear enough armor for A rank toughness and have super strong block and super fast dodge, if you had a massive amount of stat points.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

When a friend of mine got stuck on maria (playing on PC), he would use the mouse to shoot. Whenever she did one of her slower attacks, he would take his hand off his controller and mouse aim and get a quick headshot.

When I got stuck on maria, I did some testing with guardian spirits and found most of them that normally knocked a human enemy over wouldn't work very well, but I could consistently get a decent number of knockdowns with 9 guardian spirit scrolls of Genbu.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Souls have incredible value, whether it's the stats they provide or slamming things for direct results or utility like using scampush to animation cancel and dodge a grab (feral can technically do this with just a burst counter but all my relevant guardian spirits are phantom, so this matters for me)

I am completely addicted to ominous pact with the lightning gods of izanami and constantly ruin myself by sending my anima negative when I need it to burst counter. I refuse to stop doing this.

what are some non-obvious uses for various souls? In a video I just saw enki recommended as another animation cancel dodge since it jumps you into the air, and I've seen ippon datara and nurikabe recommended in the thread for pancaking humans to remove curse.

Depending on your criteria for non obvious:
Fuki is super fast and has a strong max ki reduction on hit
This one might be obvious but Yoki is a grab on human enemies so it can interupt them easily and does solid damage
Nue does massive damage to large enemies you can hit with all the bolts
Nuppeppo gives you the buff 'berserk' that makes your attacks a good deal stronger but drain HUGE amounts of ki, situationally very useful, and of course you can still use spells/items while you wait for ki to refill
Wheelmonk (and similar 'hold button to continue' souls) can 'store' extra anima bar for themselves when you are in yokai shift, so you can roll for a long time.
A powerful, rapid hitting soul core like Ryomen Sukuna (anima bonus on confused), Enenra (anima bonus on scorched), or Nightmare Bringer that you have rolled anima bonus on scorched, confused, electrified, saturated can be very powerful in yokai shift to quickly fill up the bars on all your other yokai powers and spam them for big damage, as long as you don't get hit too much and lose yokai shift.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The adult baby fetishists in DLC 3 are the worst enemies in the game. Change my mind

Yeah the babies are super annoying. Mega defense with stone skin, interrupts what you are doing with hi ki damage screeching, attracting more enemies, taxing your elemental items.

Overall the enemy I find the most annoying is the snakeheads from the early dlc1 in Nioh1. High health before you can get good weapons from the DLC, hide inside enemies that makes them annoying to spot at a distance, oh look, there's a guy on the tower with a cannon, that's annoying so I'll shoot him on no he's a snakehead with tons of health and now he's spitting homing fireballs nonstop

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Revenants give you drops that they are wearing, but it gets scaled to YOUR level when you kill them (I think). So the most popular two armor sets will propogate and fill the entire game. I wouldn't worry about the drops being overpowered, as you level up you will replace it soon enough.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

On NG, just equip whatever has the highest attack and defense as long as your weight stays below 70%. Sell or dismantle or donate the rest. you don't have to worry about the bonus effects on items, or putting together a build, etc until NG+.

Do this, except as long as your weight is above 70% but not above 100%

Max block is my favourite way to play this game

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If you're having trouble with countering burst attacks with the dash from feral, it might be because it is unintuitive - for that counter to work, you want to collide with the enemy's WEAPON SWING while you are dashing, not dash around or away from it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Corruption on weapons also gives them a weak ki-leech effect on hit. Purity on weapons gives them a weak ki-refund on blocking.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A fair number of bosses are very poison resistant, and poison itself can be a lot less useful than having the enemy have damage amp from water, or slowed down from lightning. Also, if you can't continue to maintain poison (keep applying more poison while they are poisoned so it doesn't expire), every time it runs out it gets much harder to reapply. Very tricky in NG+ and onwards if you aren't using a poison buff of your weapon.

On that note, the downside of imbue (assuming you mean weapons with the random property rolled for extra fire or whatnot) is that those are much smaller than using an actual spell or item. Furthermore, a weapon property is overwritten by a buff item. If you mean is there any reason not to use a buff item, no, you should have one on all the time when fighting tough enemies.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

One of my favourites is one of the bird spirits from the dlc, I think it is Oh? Gives you health regen out of combat, feels very convinient to not need to bother with consumable healing and get topped up while you run around and collect items.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That's a great clip, I used axe a lot and always thought mad spinner was a dud move that cost way too much ki but activating living weapon with it is a great nioh1 strat.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Calidus posted:

I am too comfortable to just sit in mid stance and quick attack like it’s dark souls.

I'd say avoiding this would be the first step to smashing enemies and bosses much faster, even if you spam one skill over and over, as long as it is a good skill, it'll be doing more than regular mid stance attacks. I watched my friend play this game a bunch and he played the entire thing, all ng+ levels, just spamming kick cycle and the ki-pulse cancel from kick cycle. On every enemy and boss, those two moves and dodging. I think it was a really lame way to play but I can't deny the effectiveness and results!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've grinded nightmare bringer for about 5 hours total and still haven't got any of the unique yokai shift skill drops :argh:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Rabid Boar posted:

I think those only drop from Otakemaru (First Samurai).

Oh, good thing you warned me - the list I was looking at says Nightmare Bringer, so there's a bunch of wasted time I'm not getting back, but at least I can fight the correct boss now!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

There are a few boss drops that really stand out to me
-If you ever use the spear, I highly recommend farming Triple Threat from Maeda Toshiie. Does three long range stabs in a row, nice low ki cost, solid damage if you time your presses correctly.
-Second Wind for kusarigama turns whirlwind into a useful (and more importantly, very stylish) ki-drain move for human enemies
-Luminous Blade Talisman is an excellent spell, if your character has a high magic score you owe it to yourself to get the lightsaber spell
-I like to use soul core attacks as often as possible so dragon claw/fang/horn for sword/2sword/odachi is a straight upgrade on grapple for me

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Scrolls do drop in the underworld. Personally, the most annoying yokai to me is that big monster tengu looking thing from dlc3 with tons of health, followed by cannon skeleton hiding in bushes/around a corner/etc that pops up and shoots while you are busy.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Just killed first boss of DLC3 on way of the wise, my heavy armored hammer mage was doing only like 100 damage a hit so I ran away while he was poisoned from snake guardian spirit scrolls which dealt 999 damage per tick, then spammed 6x thunderstorm, 6x fireball, 6x geyser, 4x lightsaber with genbu for onmyo hit gives anima to use fuki soul core for max ki drain. I hardly even swung my weapon but got a victory in the end :confuoot: I might need to respec so that I don't have 90% of my points in health and magic and actually use weapons.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Transform magic bonus is a star property I think, and as far as I understand it, star property means powerful property that can't be rolled except by picking the item up? I'd like to get weapons with that bonus but that's at the mercy of RNG

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I just looked and I have a spear that has it, it is both a star and an inheritable, I can probably smith up my hammer and catch it up with that

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 8, 2021

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I honsetly wouldn't bother doing much smithing in NG. Acessories or a favourite armor set are the only things I'd bother with. You could try temper them for always useful bonus like 'quick recovery when out of ki' or properties like that if you plan on using them for awhile. Having an accessory with quick recovery/enemy sensor/kodama sensor is a great piece of equipment that will take a long time to go obselete.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

100+ points in magic, 5 copies of fireball, 5 copies of lightning bolts, 5 copies of geysers, 3 guardian spirit scrolls, 4 copies of lightsaber. Genbu for guardian spirit for 'anima - omnyo magic hit' so you can use a yokai ability every time you cast a spell. Weapon? What is weapon?

EDIT: For a real suggestion, I'd suggest high con heavy hammer man, use those big charge up smashes like lumber chop and rumbling earth, can be a fun change of pace from the high speed weapons

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally I like to run through all the main missions each time, I like the sense of progression and revisiting all the bosses but if you can handle dream of the wise missions and you don't want to wait, go ahead and get started on it as soon as you like. Dream of the wise also starts dropping orange gear with new graces that can have neat new effects on them, like damage for each unique active skill you have used or restocking your magic/ninja tools as you deal damage - so you might want to go ahead and start collecting for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just beat the main campaign, really enjoyed it overall - Team Ninja still seem unable to design a game that doesn't get exponentially easier towards the end but I'm kind of fond of it at this point and I expect the dlc to remedy that. Killed the last boss on my first attempt and I think that only happened with like one other boss lol

Should I go straight into the dlc on the base difficulty or go through the campaign on dream of the strong? Also do I have to pay attention to this weird stone of punishment thing?

You can use stone of penance if you've got an accessory you really like and want to get a property that only appears on higher rarity (and 90% of them appear on purple already) or grace (special set bonus from later ng+) on it, if it doesn't have one it can get a random one. Otherwise, feel free to ignore it, it just increases the level of an accessory you have so it gets marginally higher% bonuses on it.