Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So what's the general consensus so far? This game looks loving great and it looks like if DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and Dark Souls has some weird japanese baby. I am so down.

What kind of multiplayer is there? Just co-op? Invasions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Do I need Playstation Plus to see other player's revenants?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is unarmed actually feasible, or is it mostly just for shits and giggles? Doesn't seem like punches combo very well, i know there are some skills that improve unarmed combat but in general it looks...questionable.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The dodging in this game seems to be a lot less consistent than Dark souls dodging (which is fair since it's not related to dark souls at all) but my DS muscle memory keeps kicking in and the first boss is kicking my poo poo in because i keep trying to dodge THROUGH things.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
For some reason I have it in my head that low stance = best blocking. Is that accurate at all? For some reason I think high stance is high damage, low block, mid stance is mid damage, mid block, low stance is low damage, high block. Am I totally off base here?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can you zoom in with bows?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Monolith. posted:

Its just something you figure out. I was so excited when I figured out you can gesture and they'll react.

See what happens if you can get behind them.

If you can get behind the walls, or the mimics?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's a sword move where you break someone's guard and then run into them with your sword against theirs, i think it's called Tempest or something? for the life of me i can't figure out how to trigger it, there's no button for it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

Do you think William would show up and weab out about katanas or say "when in Rome" and become a total gun nut like the other samurai

I know IRL he was just a slave driver basically aka granted the title of samurai

My Japan history (almost called it Japan lore) is a bit sparse. Is William based on a real guy?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm curious to see how speedruns turn out, I'm hoping the combat is optimized and not "we dash attack and ki pulse after every attack" for three hours

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

yep this bridge seems completely fine nothing going on here

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea that's the one I pushed into the water. I think you have to get his stamina lowish first.

oh i didn't even think about that, although i still don't know how that stupid Tempest skill works. I just beat him normally.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Belzac posted:

Every time someone says Nioh is hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrFfr1h9hB4

I was watching you stream earlier, do you only use the spear? Seems like it's definitely your weapon of choice...

What combo was that, anyway?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm on a sidequest at a frozen temple and it's approximately three hours long or something what the gently caress is this

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Best part of iai is that if you use it right when someone's falling down you have enough time to Iai and then still stab them while they're down, it more than doubles execution damage

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think revenants sort of collect data on the person that died because I think they use the same fighting style that the person who died used...running into three revenants with the exact same set and I saw two different fighting styles with the same weapon.

I'm hoping it's based on how the guy that died preferred to fight.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

I wish I could exclude a coop level. Tired of people not lighting the drat bonfires.

I lit all three fires on the water level just because I felt like I should, not sure if they do anything though. Are they responsible for the bigger fires at the end?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Spears are great for it, mid-stance strong attack and roll away, you'll hit it in the mouth and it crits. Otherwise you can get on the second level and run it in a circle and attack the back parts until they fall off. It's really irritating and not hard, just tedious

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
He'd be fine if he didn't go backwards directly through his own body

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is there a discord just for Nioh?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://twitter.com/TweetingForOne/status/830307862542905346

i thought this boss was supposed to be hard

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
what abilities should i prioritize learning for the spear? i want to be good with it but have no idea what i'm doing. it does seem to deplete ki alarmingly fast, though, which is fun

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Pierson posted:

Is there a reason some armor pieces have their special attributes greyed-out and unusable? The 'Special' word will be in red and the rest of the stuff in grey, which is usually game-speak for "none of these will work" but I can't find an explanation for why that is.

check the very bottom of the special attributes, there's stat requirements (the one you're missing is in red)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I feel like axes need much more of a moveset, it feels so...sparse compared to the other weapons.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i will say the best part of the axe is breaking ki with low stance combos and then swinging some idiot into a wall neck first, I keep demolishing ninjas like that and it's hilarious every time.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This is mostly useless but if anyone (for some reason) attempts an unarmed run, remember you can combo punch-kick if you do it out of a dodge. With enough ki you can attack decently quickly.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The cat clock actually has a historical background. (Probably pseudo-historical but still cool)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

What's the frame rate on this on a not pro ps4? Bloodborne was egregious enough that it took away from the experience.

If it's on action mode it'll stay at 60fps.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
this rear end in a top hat frog is really making me angry, all of his stupid moves have giant aoes somehow so you just can't dodge around him at all

and the run back to him is really loving stupid

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Fresh off the boat, right as you enter the gated home area on top of the hill, before the village. I walk in and like five guys come out of nowhere like a loving clown car with no opportunity to bait out smaller numbers.

I've died 20+ times in the first area, I give up. The ki pulse thing is aggravating me too, seems like a needless mechanic. Not even having fun with the combat.

Don't walk straight into the gate, there's three guys there. You can bait them out one at a time if you stand to the sides of the gate and shoot arrows at the ones off to the side. you MIGHT aggro two of them but two's way easier than three.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
jesus loving christ this frog is an rear end in a top hat

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
is the warrior of the east armor just straight up better for spear users than red demon? the red demon set is solid but the warrior of the east one seems a bit more designed for dedicated spear users. i guess you could theoretically go 5 pieces of WotE and 2 of Red Demon but the only way to do that is to have two spears equipped and that seems unnecessary.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's a sewer level, too. With a really great debuff.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

for the life of me i cannot find what wall killed him, there's no magic walls around here

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm pretty sure they have a near infinite aggro range.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
any idea what katana has this sheath? it's incredible, I must have it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's a point where unarmed becomes almost stronger than any other build, it's ridiculous.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Strength, but the real virtue is carnage talismans + the barehanded ones. Punches hit for like 1500 at level 60, it's ridiculous.

The parry is more useful only because it's generally faster.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Seriously watch this it's loving stupid how much damage it does

https://youtu.be/uMujKhRE9ys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Heaven and Earth just flat out breaks entire ki bars, it's hilarious. It'll break the entire stamina bar of a giant skeleton, it's incredible.